Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    • 1,002Posts
    • 3,200Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.
    • 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans. 22nd Jan 14 at 8:38 PM
    So the title will become obvious later, but I figured I need a diary. It's my first. It is mainly to keep me focused but maybe someone will read it too. Here's hoping!

Stealing from another diary, I have decided my debts need paid off by my 40th, which is in 7ish months! It might not be completely achievable but I'm certainly going to try.

First about me. I have a lovely husband, we live in the country with a few cats and a couple of horses. These latter fluffy things are of course the reason for permanent poverty. We certainly don't have a cheap lifestyle, the mortgage is big, we take nice holidays and have nice cars. We can manage it all quite comfortably (both of us have well paid jobs) but I'm not very disciplined about money and have let it get a bit of a bother. That said I'm not a compulsive shopper either, don't buy loads of clothes, don't smoke, Don't go out much etc. My husband isn't in debt and has some savings but neither of us are as comfortable as we should be. On the down side, we've spent a lot of money on IVF in the last year, will be doing so again this year, and our house (old and cold) really needs a few things done. We also got married just over a year ago which cleared out all my savings and that plus the IVF tipped me over the edge. So financial discipline is certainly needed.

The debts:
    OD £4100
    Family member £5k
    Credit card £1600 on 0%

All of the above are my debts, so not my husbands responsibility.

We have assets. My car would cover most of my unsecured debt. I have £3k in an ISA. We have some joint savings. I own a rental flat with a very good LTV. My sister is in no rush for her repayment. So there is no panic stations. But no excuses either. So 7 months it is....

Wish me luck
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
Page 35
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 7th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Ooh so here's a bit of good news. I just remembered I have £100 in Amazon vouchers. This was cashback from a credit card scheme from a couple of years back. I have options - Christmas presents, put towards a big purchase, or just use for trickle spending. Also 1p0ll is at nearly £30 so I should keep on at that. It's usually pretty easy money once in a while.

I also remembered I had 95% done my tax return and was due a refund. However, when I had drafted it I hadn't received the catch up HB on my flat. This didn't come in to my account until July, so I could have cash accounted it and not worried about it until next year; but it would just have made next year's bill huge. So I added the relevant amounts for the rebate until April into the correct tax year . This now means I will have £260 to pay as opposed to a refund. I haven't been setting money aside for it as I had thought it was going to be a refund, so out of the next 3 months pay am going to have to find this. Also now means I do have to start putting money aside going forward, especially given the rules on interest payments changing.

Otherwise looking like a NSD for me, although DH bought milk earlier. Am also hoping to get another day out of the soup tomorrow, so with free coffee tokens that could be another NSD. I have been re-reading some of the earlier pages in my diary and saving on coffee and lunches was a big theme, that did make a difference. Also the food shop . Albeit there is now an extra mouth to feed since I started this diary, our food shopping isn't nearly as controlled as it used to be.

Lots to think about.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 16th Nov 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    I need a list

Car tyres need blown up
    Start Christmas list on bullet journal
    Otherwise tidy up bullet journal
    Sharpen eye pencil
    Various doc/dentist appointments
    Update worlds worst blog
    Update spreadsheet as payday looms
    Horses
    Nursery
    Email architect 1
    Submit scottish water form
    make appointment with mortgage broker

That will do for now. Back later!
    Last edited by mfmaybe; 16-11-2017 at 1:34 PM.

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th Nov 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 34,764 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Have a good weekend MFM..I too like lists
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 21st Nov 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Thanks Brizzle, it was good

At the start of the pay month I'm doing my usual budget examination. It seems to be getting harder and harder to balance and I wanted to know why. So I did some maths.

At the moment my fixed costs represent 66% of salary. I've excluded the flat costs because those are currently covered by the rent. This therefore includes the money I put into our house account (so everything house related like rent, utilities, savings towards our new house etc) plus nursery, mobile phone, charity DDs and the livery bill. This is the big part now. As it's winter the costs have gone up significantly. I'm not sure exactly what the cost will be so I hope I've budgeted generously but it means there is really no spare money. Fortunately now we own our field, the plan is that from late spring they can move there; so I just need to suck it up this winter. . It's too far away just now, and also doesn't have a water supply or any shelter, so it's really not possible to use it quite yet.

The variable bit ie food shopping, fuel etc, is 16%. The fuel isn't particularly variable though. With where we live, where nursery is, where the horses are and where work is, there's little we can do about it.

The preferable is 12%. That's the stuff that I really want to try to save for monthly - car tax, house repairs, tax bill. Some of it is more optional than others. And this month I've removed some categories such as holidays - so it's not really that optional at all.

Then the avoidable stuff - that's tiny, only 4%. Going out, waxing, etc. This even includes kids clothes so again not fully avoidable but right now I think we have plenty.

There's a bit of rounding, if you are adding it all up . But it shows why I find it so hard to change anything. I certainly don't want sympathy as my life is hardly frugal (2 horses eliminate me from that category!) but in a way it makes me feel a bit better. And I must remember all the good. Really big pension contributions, 2 sharesave schemes, a stocks and shares ISA, good equity in my BTL flat, no debt other than the flat. So I'm in a very fortunate position but it's a useful reminder to keep on top of the small stuff like lunches etc. I'm getting a little better at this again.

Anyway I better go and make tea now so thanks for letting me vent

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 26th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Sitting here twiddling thumbs doing an iphone back up. I back up to the cloud but for reasons known only to myself decided I needed to do a computer back up for the first time in forever. So meanwhile I will type.

Black Friday. Hmm it was ok except it wasn't deal-tastic for me.
    I bought one of DH's birthday/Christmas presents and got 20% off but not sure that was a BF deal as such.
    I ordered one nephew's combined christmas/birthday at £10 off.
    I ordered my present from DH () at about 25% off.
    And a few smaller discounts on small presents for DS.
    I bought a couple of other presents but not sure I got much discount.

But - I then saw some crazy price deals on a couple of places in the US that do really good kids clothes and a friend over there agreed to bring them home in December. Nothing that was absolutely impossible to buy here (well except a pair of work trousers for me); but they do good fleecy trousers and microfleece tops etc that are perfect for winter nursery clothing. So much for not needing to buy kids clothes

In day to day spending I've been quite good with lunches and coffees but I should really go and update the spreadsheet and see how it's all looking. Our weekend was good - not spendy other than food shopping, as DS has a nasty viral rash, so we've been a bit housebound. I did spend today on calpol and tempting snacks though.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 29th Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Just about to log on and do some work as DS has finally started being able to go to sleep by himself again; and DH is on a work trip and not home yet. But I'm going to do it in front of The Good Wife with perhaps a small glass of wine

This week has been crazy and not going to get much better. But a really important work meeting happened and seemed to go well. And I think I've had a fairly non spendy week. Today was free coffee courtesy of my loyalty card, plus I had lunch with me. Yesterday a colleague went and got my coffee and wouldn't take the cash; and also had lunch with me. Monday I was at home as DS was unwell but I may have ended up buying some medication; although actually that might have been Sunday!

Oh and yesterday was GivingTuesday so I've added a new charity payment to my payroll (£6 out of my payslip a month = £20 to the charity, courtesy of my employer's contribution plus tax relief) and agreed with my team to do a Secret Santa that is actually a charitable thing instead of buying tat for each other. So I've got my hat on and feel better for it after some splurges on Friday.

Right I said I was going to do work so I will....

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 30th Nov 17, 8:47 AM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 26,815 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Sounds like a nice, fulfilling week so far!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter