Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    • 950Posts
    • 2,979Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.
    • 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans. 22nd Jan 14 at 8:38 PM
    So the title will become obvious later, but I figured I need a diary. It's my first. It is mainly to keep me focused but maybe someone will read it too. Here's hoping!

Stealing from another diary, I have decided my debts need paid off by my 40th, which is in 7ish months! It might not be completely achievable but I'm certainly going to try.

First about me. I have a lovely husband, we live in the country with a few cats and a couple of horses. These latter fluffy things are of course the reason for permanent poverty. We certainly don't have a cheap lifestyle, the mortgage is big, we take nice holidays and have nice cars. We can manage it all quite comfortably (both of us have well paid jobs) but I'm not very disciplined about money and have let it get a bit of a bother. That said I'm not a compulsive shopper either, don't buy loads of clothes, don't smoke, Don't go out much etc. My husband isn't in debt and has some savings but neither of us are as comfortable as we should be. On the down side, we've spent a lot of money on IVF in the last year, will be doing so again this year, and our house (old and cold) really needs a few things done. We also got married just over a year ago which cleared out all my savings and that plus the IVF tipped me over the edge. So financial discipline is certainly needed.

The debts:
    OD £4100
    Family member £5k
    Credit card £1600 on 0%

All of the above are my debts, so not my husbands responsibility.

We have assets. My car would cover most of my unsecured debt. I have £3k in an ISA. We have some joint savings. I own a rental flat with a very good LTV. My sister is in no rush for her repayment. So there is no panic stations. But no excuses either. So 7 months it is....

Wish me luck
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
Page 29
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 7th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Quick note to self. £28 of Pay rise (all of it, probably) must go to CCRF and not into my budget. From June pay £14 will be swallowed by pension increases. The rest from December.

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 9th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 33,301 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Best of luck for the interview..fingers crossed
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    July '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [June 30%]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.07.17 02/100 ** LSDs Target 10 for July 02/10 **AFDs 19/25 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £140 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for July 03/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 13th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Best of luck for the interview..fingers crossed
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Thanks, we've not heard yet but he isn't feeling confident. He's applied for a few more though so fingers crossed. It's starting to get a bit scary.

So annoying things: HelloFresh triggered this week; which is annoying as I could have sworn I skipped week on the app. Will have to make sure all the stuff we bought for this week is in the freezer. Our actually Sainsbugs shop was ok, under £60. And at least the meals look decent even though I didn't choose them.

Also had forgotten to factor in a leaving lunch for a member of my team. However I'm very glad we did it, she was going off on Mat Leave and we went to one of my favourite places.

In more positive news, one of my vehicles has got through its MOT with very little hassle or cost, so there is the possibility I could transfer some of the annual savings amount into my CCRF. Will wait and see how much the others need first though. Alarmingly, all of them need done within a month.

In other news the bank account should survive until payday by the skin of its teeth. Friday is payday, and it's also bonus day. All of which will be going to the CCRF

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 15th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 33,301 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Best of luck with it all

Xx
    Declutter 100 items before 31.07.17 02/100 ** LSDs Target 10 for July 02/10 **AFDs 19/25 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £140 so far
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 16th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So CCRF has taken a boost . OK so I cheated by just putting my bonus into it, but at least I haven't spent it.

I also ended up with about £15 in my wallet at the end of the month so that is forming a chunk of my lunch budget for next month. So that will be a £15 reduction to my potential overspend so far.

Budget gap for this pay month now at £133. Going in the right direction at least.

• FacelessNumber
    • By FacelessNumber 17th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    FacelessNumber
    Just wanted to post to say hi, I read your diary over the last few days. You're doing an amazing job, keep it up!

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 17th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Just wanted to post to say hi, I read your diary over the last few days. You're doing an amazing job, keep it up!
    Originally posted by FacelessNumber
    Gosh thanks, and well done if you've read 3 years worth of my dribbling! I never feel like I do that well though; I earn a pretty decent salary but debt repayment/savings never seems to happen that fast! However, I can categorically say that using this diary has changed the way I deal with my own finances unrecognisably. Where previously I was maxed out on overdraft, living hand to mouth, no idea of where it all went etc, now I account for every penny, have no debt other than mortgage and even some savings. Still - could do better always feels like my tag line.

Managed 3 no spend days this week. 2 were WFH days which is kind of cheating, but one was in the office where I had my free coffee via the loyalty scheme and took lunch with me. Today was a LSD too. So far so good, one day into the pay month

Oh and vehicle number 2 through it's MOT without too much issue. I say that, but shout out to my mechanic Dad who has done all the work on both of them. He only charges me cost for parts and no labour, despite endless attempts on my behalf to give him more money. The least I can do, therefore, is ensure that the extra I had set aside gets diverted to something useful. Vehicle number 3 definitely needs a new windscreen (will do through insurance) but am hoping it doesn't need brakes quite yet. Otherwise that surplus will rapidly get used up.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 18th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Ugh one of those days. DH was sick first thing, I managed to hurt my back, DS dropped the iPad and broke the case; and then DH scraped my car putting it in the garage. Sigh.

Never mind, tomorrow is another day huh?

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 19th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So other than me bashing my knee stupidly on a gate, today was a little better. Sun even came out for a bit. But back still pretty sore, need to take more ibuprofen before bed.

Done some money shuffling, savings account a wee bit healthier after the CCRF boost. Had a pretty low spend weekend, just planned horse spends and the food shop.

Note to self - which, errr, now I've forgotten what it was .... Oh no wait, it was to remind myself to get my own tax return drafted asap. We've been paid for the last time this tax year so could get it drafted and check if I'm going to need to save up for any tax. I don't think I will (or at least not much) due to the fact I've not earned any income on it for at least half the year.

Also need to remember to pay for some firewood we had delivered.

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 20th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 33,301 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Good idea to get tax return drafted..I have diarised the same, but for July...feel I need a break before I get back into it again but I told myself no rushing around in the late Autumn wondering what the scores on the doors might say..far too stressful for words for me to do that again.

Hope you feel better soon - sending hugs
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 21st Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    I've just got to actually do it though

Thanks for the well wishes. Back is bearable but still stiffens up if I move either too little or too much. Luckily I can sleep ok, subject to annoying cats, snoring husbands or teething toddlers.

Sort of a NSD for me today; though DH took cash out of the joint account to pay for firewood. He had another interview today; we are hoping to hear by the end of the week.

On that note, battery about to die so it's bedtime cuddles for the horses, then off to bed.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 21st Mar 17, 10:16 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    I know I said I was going to bed, but....

Did some more spreadsheet-y stuff. Predicted overspend now down at £127. Going in the right direction.

Also now have my difference on my monthly credit card bill down to £60. That's the card I put all the monthly living expenses on. Always pay it off in full but it's always been "in arrears". Trying to set aside the money every time I spend on it.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 23rd Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So I can't do the tax return as it's too soon, but have tried to draft a calculation. It's hard as the rules are changing regarding mortgage interest and not sure exactly how it will all work out. On the face of it, looks like I might be due a small repayment; but actually more realistically it will be roughly net neutral. That's ok though as it technically gives me £50 free out of my budget for the next 9 months or so. Realistically though I am going to have to find ways to overpay this mortgage now, which will be hard considering its earning me no rent.

Yesterday wasn't a bad spend day, the usual coffee and although I didn't have lunch with me I kept it very frugal - bought a YS sandwich and a bag of popcorn for £2. Unfortunately spent another £1.50 on cakes for RND. WFH today though which should be a NSD, albeit DS went to the shops. Our grocery budget just is not under control. It's not horrific; but we are doing top up shops all the time.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 25th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    DS about to go down for a nap so I need a plan. We are changing agents and they will take some new photos including a high mast outdoor one. So I need to prioritise outside I think. Clear up any obvious rubbish or very weedy bits. Tidy up gardening things. Hang washing on line. (It's sunny, yay!). And I would really like to clean out my car.

Better crack on!

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 27th Mar 17, 9:20 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Weird weekend. Weather was lovely. We had some brilliant moments, all of us outside, me mucking out stables, DH doing some work on one of his bikes; DS pottering between us trying to decide if sweeping or spray bottles were more fun . And lovely mothers day gifts (perfectly low cost - a mug to replace one that got broken and some chocolate). But was feeling very meh and not quite sure why, I think the continued limbo of not selling our house.

Still, in much much MUCH better news, DH has a job . It's on the same salary as his last one, he has a month or so before it starts so hopefully he can have a bit of downtime and also get the bits and bobs done in the house. We might even squeeze in a holiday.

Otherwise, things ticking along. Had to spend a bit over budget on hay and bedding for the horses but this is offset by not having to start paying livery for them yet. So am hoping budget will be ok. Oh yes I did however order cat litter and lightbulbs; the latter is just as well as a second one has just gone in the same room. Weather has been milder so been good about keeping heating off as much as possible and using stove.

WFH day tomorrow so hopefully not too much needing spent. Today I only bought coffee, 79p bag of popcorn (I'm obsessed!) and £1 on milk. Beginning to wonder if I could make an aeropress work in the office though. It's a very large office, so can't just leave things in the kitchen and we hot desk so everything would have to live in my locker.

Oh yes and also the 5 year goal is being worked on, so trying to be as good as possible with money in this respect too!

Right, horses then bed.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 28th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    I'm dwelling on a strategy for our LPG. If or when we have an offer on the house, we won't want to leave a nearly-full tank.The tank is 2000L but they only fill it to about 1900. In a horrific shock recently we used about half that much in 6 weeks but that was Very Very Bad. But going by that as worst case scenario, a full tank would be 12 weeks, at the very least. Whereas an offer on the house, whenever it comes, is most likely to be 6-8 weeks to completion. So we'd be giving away some gas for free. I'm therefore thinking we could ask them to only top up to a lower amount, say 1200L. As we are coming into the warmer weather now, this should work. The slight issue is that they stop the regular top ups soon - in the summer we only get one top-up half way through - so we would need to be sure we still had enough gas to last the longer break without a fill. (Assuming we haven't sold by then, which at this rate is entirely possible).

This is also in part triggered by the fact the price is going up again.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 29th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Tonight's musing is on whether we should have found the money early on in this house to get the extension done. Our sale is being hampered by the number of bedrooms even though the house is relatively big. Once we started to feel uncertain about our future here, due to the lack of land for the horses, we put off and put off making a decision on the extension. By the time we were ready to sell, doing the extension made no sense. 9 years ago it would have though. We'd have enjoyed living here so much more as it would have warmed up the house, given us a lovely kitchen, spare room for guests once DS arrived etc. But we are where we are and the trick now is to learn the lesson. Whatever that is.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 31st Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Well I mused for too long on the LPG as we had a delivery yesterday. On the plus side, it was waaay less than the last time - about 570L instead of 870L. So a big win for trying to keep the heating off where possible etc. I'ts still a huge amount though, over £200 in 6 weeks. I think DS bath is probably a big culprit though. Still, it's a reduction and that's the main thing, hopefully it will be on a downward trajectory now as I feel like our account must be a fair bit behind.

Was hoping today would be a NSD but don't think it will as have a coffee morning thing at nursery and think it's a fundraiser. Hopefully for charity rather than the nursery, as I'm not inclined to donate generously to a nursery we pay £46/day for

Anyway better crack on - oh yes car windscreen is being replaced today so I will have to pay the excess, so definitely not a NSD sadly.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 4th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Been a busy few days with a DS slightly off colour. Feeling a bit tired after some disturbed nights, which we've not had for months.

In car news, 3rd and final vehicle through its MOT. I've also got it being serviced as that was well overdue. So including that, and the excess on the replacement windscreen, it will probably be around £250 I've spent. It needs a brake disc and pad replacing, but my friendly father will do that. So all in, none of the vehicles needed huge amounts of work but it still adds up. Luckily it was all saved up for which is great .

Horses have also moved to their summer home. They seem happy and the cost isn't too bad, but likely to be some increased fuel costs. Will try to make journeys do double duty where possible.

And house should be going live with a new agent this week or maybe next, so fingers massively crossed for that.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 5th Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Ooh coffee loyalty card was full. I wonder if I could manage a NSD. Have soup with me.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,417Posts Today

9,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin