Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,192Posts
    • 155,355Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 325
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 28,192 Posts
    • 155,355 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Afternoon all hmmm, yesterday's to-do list wasn't wonderful: I did far too much faffing on sb, so didn't do enough physically, and as a result slept *really* badly last night, back to 5 hours a night. Evening wasn't relaxing either. Grrrr, shan't do that again.

Took care of info for the client, did the computer and phone work, did the sb faffing (to extremis, actually!) as well as some garden rubbish getting gone, and this morning I managed to go get the emulsion - its madly expensive, £20 for 2.5 litres, Dulux dontcha know. But I *have* it, so I can start this week, and the shop was walking distance.

Phone calls ...who knows

Did some other errands this morning - found some old £10 notes which I swapped; bought a birthday card, took some stuff to the charity shop, that sort of thing.

For the rest of today, I'll be working at SB in the background, de-rubbishing the garden, etc. I've cashed out of Opinion Outpost, which I sort of joined by mistake (link was supposed to lead to Pinecone) £6.25 Amazon should be heading my way. Did another YouGov too, 955 points now and I have a hankering to have curtains in my 2nd bedroom
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,338 Thanks
    beanielou
    Curtains sound good.
    I only have them in my room & the sitting room now I think.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 28,192 Posts
    • 155,355 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Do you feel private enough in your house, Beanie? Thats the thing with me - I have curtains or good venetian blinds on 5 windows, but there are another 5 with nothing at all, including the front and back doors, and it just doesn't feel quite private enough.

I've also been getting the phone up and running a bit more, as well as de-rubbishing the garden a bit.

The 2nd bedroom curtains, I was trying to line them with a Wilko fleece, but it's hem is very thick, not easy to sew. Instead, I'm going to use some of the good quality material from my mum's stash, and use the fleece as a fleece The curtains have been hanging around for so long they need a good ironing, so now I've detached the fleece, I'll do that tomorrow. Main thing tomorrow is to get the first coat of paint in the alcoves
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 7,847 Posts
    • 37,937 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    You could always cut the hem off the fleece if you cant find the right material from your mums stash KC fleece won't fray if you cut it - it's good like that but it's always good to have another blanket hanging round too - I'm all about cosiness right now
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 7:09 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,338 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have blinds on the other windows KC.
    Not as private as it was as there are now new build behind me after 20 odd years of fields & a have a new neighbour across the drive after nearly 30 years.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 12,500 Thanks
    rtandon27
    We have curtains in our bedroom and in the guest bedroom but nowhere else in the house!

Then again our closest neighbours are several hundred sheep!

The curtains now in our bedroom were over our single pane doors when we lived in a town! They were for warmth and privacy - how times have changed!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,338 Thanks
    beanielou
    My curtains in the living room & my bedroom are both older than my DS.
    But they do the job

• daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 5th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    The upshot is, I need to do more, and that helps my sleep.

Instead of a total of 5 hours a night, I'm managing to get just over 6

It's only a start, but I can't tell you how much better that feels.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    My giddy aunt ! 5 hours ??? I'd fall off my perch with that even one night let alone regularly. Mr daisy not at work this week - I'm in bed and sleeping just before 10 and today woke up at half 7. That's about normal for us for a holiday week when we sleep an hour or so later than normal and catch up on deficit from working weeks. If I got 5 hours I'd be up at 3 in the morning I usually only see that briefly for a tinkle then I'm straight back to cuddly and I'm out like the proverbial light for a second time. I hope you get more sleep soon karma, there's a reason they use sleep deprivation as a method of torture as I'm sure you are aware.

Nighty night

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 28,192 Posts
    • 155,355 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for the input on the curtains, folks, thats all useful

Daisy - its true isn't it, it's torture! I caught up a bit last night - I was in bed, lights out, before 10pm, which is astonishing for me. Woke up before midnight and a couple of times after, but unusually I went right back to sleep, which was blissful. Woke up for the last time at 5.30 or so, which means I probably got about 7 hours of actual sleep I think there's something to this lark about making sure I'm tired

The builder is here! The sweetie! He's got a loft hatch in his van, and he's going to fit it today! I'm sure he thinks I'm insane about spiders/rats/cluster flies etc, but I don't care any more, as I've just been rattling on about on the prepping thread on Old Style.

It does mean I'm not too sure about painting all the alcoves today, but at least I can do downstairs. Otherwise, it might be the garden today...

ETA - what a good job I didn't do the alcoves earlier. Sweetie builder has just said he wants to sand down the stuff in the alcoves again! Plus he wanted to know my snagging list, and he's going to do it all, hopefully today. Loft hatch is already ready to go in, I'm a happy bunny.
    Last edited by Karmacat; 06-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 28,192 Posts
    • 155,355 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow! Everything except the vandalism at the front gates (which needs a written repair quote first) has been done the scaffolders have arrived to take the scaffolding down. Watched him use the gizmo that opens the new loft hatch, which is unbearably pretty all of the snagging I listed has been agreed.

The whole house is an even worse tip, of course but who cares. I made a start on setting things straight by ironing the curtains that are going back up in the 2nd bedroom. Remembered where the iron was, too!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,338 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow, that is just fantastic progress
    You must be so chuffed

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,338 Thanks
    beanielou
    But a big boo to the vandalism at the front gate

• Watty1
    • By Watty1 6th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 20,101 Thanks
    Watty1
    Fabulous progress....but ..shame about the front gate, but hopefully with everything else done you will not mind too much
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 6th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 20,371 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Great progress karma, and good on you for not worrying about things being in disarray for a while, and just enjoying having the work done and making progress. So pleased for you.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 28,192 Posts
    • 155,355 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks all!

The vandalism at the front is sad ... the pillars that form the gateposts have paving-stone type stones on top of them, and they've been pushed off. They're really heavy, even a fit man would need a concerted push. It happened one at a time over a few months in September. I'm not going to set myself up as a hostage to fortune, so I'll just get them capped with a little sort of concrete dome affair.

Terrible weather this morning! Good grief. I surfaced late, and once I'm up and about, I'll be doing the first coat of painting, so it can air properly before nightfall.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,338 Thanks
    beanielou
    Weather dire here to.
    Happy painting!

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 6,718 Thanks
    themadvix
    It sounds like it's nearly done - how wonderful! Hopefully the improvements will really help you feel more comfortable.

I faffed a lot with SBs the other day - but it was worth it - £5 voucher (my second in a month) and lots of bonus bucks. It seems paltry when you consider the individual value of one SB, but with all the multipliers you can acquire it does add up. I can't say I enjoy it much sometimes though- just had to submit another query for a completed survey... but they have credited me with the bucks.

Horrible weather here too....
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    • 28,192 Posts
    • 155,355 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks both

It sounds like it's nearly done - how wonderful! Hopefully the improvements will really help you feel more comfortable.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Definitely. The sound proofing hasn't helped but I had to try. The shed is a wonder to behold, as is the side fence and gate The loft hatch ... words cannot express how much I love my loft hatch

I faffed a lot with SBs the other day - but it was worth it - £5 voucher (my second in a month) and lots of bonus bucks. It seems paltry when you consider the individual value of one SB, but with all the multipliers you can acquire it does add up. I can't say I enjoy it much sometimes though- just had to submit another query for a completed survey... but they have credited me with the bucks.
    Thats good! Do you download the apps they suggest? I think betterthanever does, and you can use them for SB points too? With all the building works, I haven't really got round to using it properly - maybe from *this* Monday, I can try.

Surveys - they refused me two surveys in a row, even though I had screenshots of completion for both, one of which included the survey number, and they sent me a **huge** list of what they considered necessary to prove I'd done a survey. Unless I have that list by me (I'm compiling my own how-to-do-SB) I'm not doing another survey. It's not working that well for me at the moment, but I'm not prioritising it because of the building works.

Horrible weather here too....
    And today it's all cleared, it looks lovely, though v cold now, of course
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Dec 17, 10:28 AM
    • 28,192 Posts
    • 155,355 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I have my to-do list - the first thing to do is put the 2nd coat of paint on the bits I did yesterday. I didn't even paint all the panels, or all of *each* panel - I painted what needed to be painted so I could move the furniture back where it's supposed to be: desk, wardrobe and bookcase. The 3 main rooms I use are pretty much incapacitated, and I don't mind temporary mess, but there's all sorts of things I can't actually do in the house, so getting that furniture back into place is crucial.

I also did a full binbag of garden clearance yesterday - I so, so want the garden to be ready for proper planting next year, the only way is to clear weeds **now*.

Can I do more today? We'll see. I had another good sleep, so who knows?
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 8th Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    michelle09
    I tried SB but didn't get that far with it, maybe will try again if there's any free time. Is the app easy to use? Might be better on the move.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,699Posts Today

7,048Users online

Martin's Twitter