Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 27,858Posts
    • 152,714Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 314
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning! My day out is today and the weather looks like the best of the week in these parts thanks for the good wishes

I practically had a sleep in today - didn't get up till 7.10
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,856 Thanks
    greent
    Hopefully it was a good night's sleep with that lie-in , too - as opposed to tossing and turning and sleeping in.

Have a lovely, lovely day!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Oct 17, 4:06 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 17,366 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Just having a diary catch up and a break from work insanity and I was pleased to see the yorkies worked - I have a tin with four, four inch (imperial, moi?) patties that are great for big Yorkies - you could fill one with slow-cooked onions and stuffing...
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8833.96 saved (80.31%) after September - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 70.68/75% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hopefully it was a good night's sleep with that lie-in , too - as opposed to tossing and turning and sleeping in.

Have a lovely, lovely day!
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    Thats right, it was a "thorough" sleep too

Day out was brill, we went to an NT place very near to my sister's, but we'd only visited it just after her husband died, and neither of us had really taken it in, so it was great to visit properly.

Just having a diary catch up and a break from work insanity and I was pleased to see the yorkies worked - I have a tin with four, four inch (imperial, moi?) patties that are great for big Yorkies - you could fill one with slow-cooked onions and stuffing...
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Hi SL, yes they're great. I'm definitely going to go for patties, as opposed to one big one, but I have to get the whisk parts of my electric hand mixer out from where I've hidden them and then onions and a stuffing mix ... yummie!

I'm going to have a "jobs" few days - scanning, fitting in new stuff into the house, gardening, and burning hedge cuttings and branches - any of these four things will be great to accomplish

Nothing finance-y today - I'll work on that either on the weekend, or next Tuesday I'm such a diva nowadays

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 13th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 19,657 Thanks
    Watty1
    love the diva approach
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 47,817 Posts
    • 173,626 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Friday
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 19,803 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Inspiring and thought provoking. Ive been thinking of how I’d plan my time if not needing to work Karma. Time is precious. Quite a few people have retired at my work in the last few weeks and although I love my job, I can feel my inner diva starting to surface!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 15th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    I too have an inner Diva and love the idea of not having to work! ....suspect it is a bit too soon for me to unleash her tho !

NT place sounds lovely KC so many beautiful places in the country to explore too

Enjoy your Sunday x
    MF planning for the simple life
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you all! These in particular sparked me ...

Inspiring and thought provoking. Ive been thinking of how I’d plan my time if not needing to work Karma. Time is precious. Quite a few people have retired at my work in the last few weeks and although I love my job, I can feel my inner diva starting to surface!
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Yep! And although there's mse stuff I still need to do, I'm starting to get the sense that newly-retired people talk about, that they can do what they fancy doing. For me, there hasn't been much of that this year, apart from the trips out with my sister, who's been a godsend. We're off on another one tomorrow, to see the Scythians at the British Museum, via her membership that was gifted to her.

Time is the only precious thing we have, really, it's true - I don't think planning is *always* the best way to make use of it, personally I need the liberation of "lets see where this goes", so to speak but long term planning is as crucial to retirees as to everyone else, and even short term planning, fitting stuff into the diary, for instance, to be as mse as possible.

I've been doing the photo scanning a lot over the last few days, and started to ask myself, do I like doing this? The answer is clear, no, not particularly, but I love the result, I really do! So that stays

The cat blog, I've been trying to get it back to two posts a month, and I've decided I'm going to stop trying. It was always *partly* supposed to be a backup to income streams associated with cats - catsitting and selling cat images on funkypigeon or whatever - so I could reassure people that I really, really, loved cats. And I really do, but I prefer writing for the other blog, so the cat blog will continue in the second-place that's evoled for it while I focus on t'other.

I too have an inner Diva and love the idea of not having to work! ....suspect it is a bit too soon for me to unleash her tho !

NT place sounds lovely KC so many beautiful places in the country to explore too

Enjoy your Sunday x
    Originally posted by Downshifterella
    Thank you Downshifterella, nice to see you

Yep, the diva has to be released as and when! Thats where planning, especially mse planning, comes into its own. I hope you can do it soon!

And yes, there are so many beautiful places, and so *near*, comparatively! We live in a country that millions of people travel to, from all over the world - I like seeing the nooks and crannies of this country

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    In mse news:
    - the cashback from my latest mse cheap energy switch is hitting my account.
    - I got £1 off Waitrose Essentials dishwasher tabs because they're on MyWaitrose offers for me
    - did a yougov survey
    - a little bit of my money invested at ratesetter is currently out at 4.1%, which is good
    - somebody bought a copy of my kindle book - you never know who it is, of course! But somebody in the world did. And someone took it out on kindleunlimited. Must work on a second edition ....
    - our Friday NT visit takes me up to £50 of use for my annual NT membership, in 2 - 3 months. Definitely a good buy.
    - just put an online order in to Sainsbo, a big "winter food cupboard" order, £10 saved by a coupon that came through the door.
    Save
    Last edited by Karmacat; 15-10-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 16th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    michelle09
    That is a lot of very good MSE news!

You have a kindlebook? That's awesome. How well has it done?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 47,817 Posts
    • 173,626 Thanks
    beanielou
    I remember that Kindle book
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks both! Michelle, I published it about 2.5 years ago, and did a lot of work on free promo stuff, and a very kind online friend edited it for me – I couldn't believe how necessary it turned out to be, I pride myself on my written English! I haven't carried on publicising, RL has definitely taken me away from writing. But it did about 1100 free and about 300 sold

There's other books I want to write!
    • I've done most of a little travel journal-with-modern-updates, about my months pootling about Greece and working as an au pair in France in the 1970s, I saw a travel book on that very thing and got inspired.
    • I want to write one about psychology, I'm basing it on a series entitled “Where there is no ...” dentist/doctor/ob-gyn person. If I ever write that, I might take it to an actual publishing house, rather than self publish.
    • a second edition of the existing one, with clearer explanations of a few things, additional chapters, and a few updates.
    • I have been thinking of a short one about practical foraging and preparation … but there are people who know so much more about that than me. So I just collect information on that for the fun of it.
    • a commercial type book on Liverpool/Merseyside, which is where I'm from – there are plenty of amazing places apart from the well-known ones. Even a “twenty great places you've never heard of” thing.
    • there are two novels that keep shouting at me – one thats quite a big saga, the other thats a smaller version, based on a young local family.
    It's a toss-up as to what gets written, apart from the travel thing, which is mostly written, and the updates, which would be comparatively easy. But my life has sort of been upside down the last few years, bringing something to the market takes quite a bit of focus. I'll get there.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I pootled off to London to have a look at the Scythians at the British Museum - I thought it would be interesting, I didn't think it would be utterly fascinating! Makes me wonder how much else is under the ground, waiting to be found. I'd like to go again, actually, thats how good it was.

Been researching my potential new phone, the Samsung J3 - will definitely be buying it unlocked, I need to research:
    - what period of time my current contract runs for.
    - the difference between buying it and keeping my current contract, and not paying for the phone but buying a new contract. Since that would only pay for itself in about 3 years, I'm inclined to do what I first thought, pay for the handset - I want to future proof, but right now I mostly want to use it for swagbucks etc.

A big birthday weekend in the family is coming up, so I have to be ultra alert to mse stuff, but still provide a good experience - in this case, its M&S meals, not the deals, but whatever-you-want. Hope its good enough, I think it will be, I checked it out.

Right, a bit more tidying, I think
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 19th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 17,366 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I noticed the MSE email was talking about a sim only deal £5/mth that is unlimited mins, texts and 20gb data - almost worth running it in parallel!
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8833.96 saved (80.31%) after September - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 70.68/75% including stores after July
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, SL! Thanks for that. I can't find that particular deal, or maybe thats the BT deal, but I can find plenty that would be great for me. My current deal has, ahem, 100MB of data. The £12 Carphone Warehouse would charge is 500MB of data. Oh boy. So either of the "Three" deals would be great, and so would the giffgaff sim.

I haven't renegotiated my mobile deal, just my broadband, so I'm pretty sure I'm on a 30 day contract. I'll give my notice tomorrow, see what they say.

Woo hoo! And with the easy smartphone stuff to make free money, that will be even better Yay to futureproofing.
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 20th Oct 17, 7:56 AM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 17,366 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Woo hoo! And with the easy smartphone stuff to make free money, that will be even better Yay to futureproofing.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    What do you mean? I am time poor so have never looked at anything like surveys to generate any extra money, and just don't have time to blog or anything. Is this something in that sphere (in which case I might ask you for more when I retire(!)), or something else?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What do you mean? I am time poor so have never looked at anything like surveys to generate any extra money, and just don't have time to blog or anything. Is this something in that sphere (in which case I might ask you for more when I retire(!)), or something else?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Hi SL, yes, it's surveys (very well paid surveys, my paltry little 50p yougov surveys seem like peanuts if you can join the right survey sites), but also things like playing games etc - mostly on swagbucks. Check out betterthanever's new thread - she mentions that she usually gets the bus to and from her (professional-type) job, so she does surveys then, very often. HTH

I'm making such a meal of all this because proper smartphones have really passed me by - my current phone can do all the smartphoney things, although very slowly, but the data allowance is tiny, and I haven't had the time or the health to do stuff.

I do understand about lack of time, believe me - and blogging certainly isn't a path to riches unless you hit on a good niche and spend almost as much time on it as a full time job, so thats a no-no.

But I *am* retired now, and what energy I'm recovering, I don't want to spend in running about my county doing mystery shopping, which is what I used to do. Using my smartphone while at home, and getting paid in Amazon vouchers or direct to paypal or whatever, thats fine. I'd aim for £50 a month, which would finance a couple of trips out each month.

I've just been thinking about what you said about running two sims at once - it's actually something to think about, because nobody needs to call me on the new number - and if I can get the new phone to connect to my wi-fi, I don't even need the new sim immediately. I'll definitely get that phone, and I'll check my contract out over the next few days.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    To do list:
    - send off remaining birthday cards (sent 2, 2 still to do)
    - phone friend to delay meetup next Monday, I'll be shattered from sister's birthday celebrations.
    - phone builder to wonder aloud about start date for works.
    - tidying! Am I ever going to stop tidying?
    - bank account: pay credit card, check executor cheques have been credited, prepare payouts to my sister and brother, move my share to savings account.
    - investigate current phone contract thoroughly. Erm, copy notes and contacts and whatnot from my phone - I regret to say, its not synced to my sim, which is the kind of thing I mean about mobiles passing me by
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 27,858 Posts
    • 152,714 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Updates
    - send off remaining birthday cards (sent 2, 2 still to do)
    Not done them yet, but they're next, its sunny right now.

- phone friend to delay meetup next Monday, I'll be shattered from sister's birthday celebrations.
    Easiest of the lot, he was fine.

- phone builder to wonder aloud about start date for works.
    Not done yet.

- tidying! Am I ever going to stop tidying?
    No, I'm never going to stop it. Unfortunately!

- bank account: pay credit card, check executor cheques have been credited, prepare payouts to my sister and brother, move my share to savings account.
    Credit card paid, executor cheques credited, my share plus another wodge of the big one plus my energy cashback, all moved to savings account.

- investigate current phone contract thoroughly. Erm, copy notes and contacts and whatnot from my phone - I regret to say, its not synced to my sim, which is the kind of thing I mean about mobiles passing me by
    Contract investigated, yay. I last logged on 2.5 years ago they want me to phone to discuss plans, so stuff them I'll go with the ones that Suffolk Lass pointed me towards. They don't deserve me
    Got to work on copying notes and contacts etc.
    NB GO TO THE CURRENT NEWSLETTER FOR THE LINKIE TO MSE-BLAGGED DEAL. GET NEW PHONE TOMORROW. HURRAY!
    Save
    Last edited by Karmacat; 20-10-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin