Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 27,854Posts
    • 152,629Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 313
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 5th Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 19,753 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Great karma! I hate all the banking admin and fiddling.
    I did it the other week and found I had more than I thought. I haven't been as frugal since and need to get back on track.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,629 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Life looks different indeed
    Bitter sweet I think though?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Absolutely.

Great karma! I hate all the banking admin and fiddling.
    I did it the other week and found I had more than I thought. I haven't been as frugal since and need to get back on track.
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Yep, you and me both! Interesting that you had more than you thought as well, and you being at such a different stage of the process from me - it does seem as though its really important to keep an overview.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,629 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yorkies: I made SL's recipe yesterday, and it was great! Two notes:
    - I didn't put enough fat in the bottom of the tin, mea culpa.
    - I got complacent about not whipping, because the flour mixed so easily, so it was much flatter than previously. I have another batch ready to be whipped *right now* so I'll see how both these points go.

SL is right - its the best ever recipe!
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,629 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yorkies were better though I think I'll have to go back to individual ramekins, that will ensure they cook through.

Right, not bad today. Achievements:
    - answered ex-client email, after researching by chatting to colleague
    - answered academic researcher's email
    - chopped up a *lot* of brambles. Ha, more bramble roots killed.
    - kidney beans cooked.
    - Yorkshires cooked
    - dw on & shopping tidied.
    - garden rubbish from yesterday is in the bin.

Got to tidy away laundry thats been airing since the beginning of the week, to ready the house for the influx of *stuff* tomorrow, gulp ... and I'd like to create some space in the fridge by cooking all the onions
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 47,725 Posts
    • 173,166 Thanks
    beanielou
    What are you going to do with the onions?
    Glad the yorkies were a success
    Hope tomorrow goes well
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 6th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 12,099 Thanks
    rtandon27
    mmmm onions slow cooked - perfect winter food...

vegan french onion soup?

leek & onion tart?
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,629 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya!

Oh dear You guys make dishes, follow recipes ... for me, learning to follow a Yorkie recipe is a huge deal. All that happened to the onions is that I fried them in a pan I'd just used to cook pasta and broccoli, then put them in the fridge - I'd also cooked through some quorn fillets, so some of the onions went on top of them, and the rest went into the next batch of pasta I cooked. Deciding to follow a recipe is a huge deal

RT - one thing I *have* done is follow the herbal recommendation you made. Every morning, stirred into porridge.

It was House Tetris Day yesterday

The chest of drawers I scribbled with football graffiti when I was 15 years old is now in my 2nd bedroom
    I have a pure wool winter coat (we used to call them car coats, three quarter length) and a lovely eggshell blue mac/parka type thing with a hood (keeps my hair of lurgified places, when I lean back on public transport )
    I have an absolute ton of genealogy papers and books to sort through
    I picked up some more scarves. I could already stock a shop with the scarves I have. But some are glam and some are sentimental, so they stay

Today - fitting things in. And taking a walk, to build cardio, no matter what - I'm starting to get a sense that I may have recovered from the chronic fatigue, and its just about slowly, slowly, building up endurance. I'll start with a half hour walk I'd normally do, and try to get the middle bit done a bit faster than usual. We'll see, I hope
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 8th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    michelle09
    I'm not great at following recipes either - most of the time I just see what I have and throw it together. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Good luck with the walking. I'm sure you'll build up speed and endurance in no time.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 47,725 Posts
    • 173,166 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you have some lovely new things.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 9th Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 19,753 Thanks
    earthgirl
    So pleased to hear about the walking, take it easy but just -wow!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 9th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Baby steps, remember!
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF.
    Current balance £116,149.98. Offset £1,236. £114,913.98 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Bring it on!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 47,725 Posts
    • 173,166 Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps indeed

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,629 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Baby steps duly taken, thank you all! In fact, all steps of any kind were abandoned after my dental appointment yesterday - the temporary filling was drilled out, fitting taken for a crown, you know the drill, probably! I still feel sore and achey today, so the most I might do is some more photo scanning, and thats it. Not even going to talk on the phone, I just need quiet time

I seem to have changed my dentist at the practice, which I'm really pleased about. And their equipment has had a major upgrade, less pain and trauma, more results

Will deffo be able to do some scanning later, coming on here is always a good thing
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,939 Thanks
    themadvix
    Change of dentist sounds great - you didn't sound at all convinced about the last one.

At least you can rest your mouth while 'talking' on here
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,629 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks madvix! You're right about coming on here, its just like when my throat has been sore - brilliant to be able to chat without opening my mouth
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 10th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    michelle09
    Ouch! I'm glad you have a new dentist, hopefully the soreness will disappear soon.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 23,152 Posts
    • 40,011 Thanks
    ZTD
    Baby steps duly taken, thank you all! In fact, all steps of any kind were abandoned after my dental appointment yesterday - the temporary filling was drilled out, fitting taken for a crown, you know the drill, probably!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Well you certainly know the drill now...

I seem to have changed my dentist at the practice, which I'm really pleased about. And their equipment has had a major upgrade, less pain and trauma, more results
    I'd bet the hands holding the equipment has much more of a bearing on that.

Will deffo be able to do some scanning later, coming on here is always a good thing
    Unless you want to be productive...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,629 Thanks
    Karmacat
    trust you, Z!

Dentist is a bit younger than my nephews, which is slightly horrifying but there you go.

A couple of hours scanning done, so the photos can be shared out between us. I'm also re-ordering photos that a cousin has sent me he's over-catered tremendously, shall we say

I'm doing much the same today, with the addition of a few phone calls, as I'm off out tomorrow
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 47,725 Posts
    • 173,166 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Wednesday

• Watty1
    • By Watty1 11th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 19,641 Thanks
    Watty1
    Hope you are enjoying day out and that it is slightly better weather than here?
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,817Posts Today

7,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin