Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,166Posts
    • 155,134Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 312
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 30th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 23,310 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    - the trick is metal tin, hot oven and well-beaten batter so they rise and crisp
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    My Mum's Yorkshires were made that way except in a gas oven rather than an Aga. Never failed. They rose so much they were like top hats
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: £4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £12411
    . Getting there.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh thank you, SL and CBC both, that's great! My mother never really let me help in the kitchen, although I wanted to, so I have no common sense at all in cookery, even though I actually got the GCE much to the surprise of my teacher

The tins I was using were metal, and I do have Vic sandwich tins of metal too (I still want to use the halogen). I really like the sound of those instructions, thats my kind of recipe

My stuff to go to the charity shop has gone, finally

Asda delivery booked, their minimum fee has gone up 100% to £2

Am cooking beans

Next Saturday is my deadline when the other bulky stuff will arrive (currently have a new single mattress for my spare bed, also a result of house tetris, not bought by me)

Kitchen is tidier not really, but I'm doing a bit

All is good
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 30th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 20,307 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Glad all is good and giggled at house Tetris!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 1st Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    All sounds very positive KC! Persevere with the Yorkies - it'll be worth it (had to skim SL's recipe otherwise I'd have been cooking them twice this week - makes my mouthwater!)
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 1st Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,670 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Yum. Are you putting stuff in the Yorkshire puds?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Will definitely persevere with the Yorkies - it'll be SL's recipe next, that sounds exactly the sort of thing I need.

SHS - erm, stuff? Go on, tell me what sort of stuff, I dare you

I actually managed to get to my ex-colleague's afternoon tea yesterday and thankfully his (very, very loud) family were late, so I could sit down with my partner and his wife and have a good old natter. Even so, I managed to have a piece of birthday cake and good lord, what a lot of refined sugar it was wonderful

First stage of house tetris happens today, Merseyside to Norfolk. Next bit on Wednesday.

The photo on the volunteer's phone at the NT place has arrived Very sensibly, I think, she gave it to a manager, and the manager has sent it from the official email. You never know who's crazy, or what they're going to do with somebody else's email. Top stuff!

Today, after recovering from the little afternoon tea party, I need to do lots of admin - pay some French expenses, washing machine is on, tidy the porch ready for the next invasion of stuff (including supermarket delivery tomorrow), sweep floors upstairs in preparation for the tetris, all sorts of things like that. Oh, and phone the builder, who's not got back to me yet with photos of prospective products, or a start date.

Lots to do!
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 2nd Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,670 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Sauteed onion and mushroom in creme fraiche?!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh I see! Nothing dairy like creme fraiche, but certainly sauteed onions, lurvely - I had a weekend in Harrogate once upon a lifetime ago, and had a lunchtime pub meal of Yorkie, onions and gravy, it was utterly heavenly.

Might need to amend my Asda order to include some veggie gravy granules ....

Thanks SHS
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 2nd Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 23,310 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Oh I see! Nothing dairy like creme fraiche, but certainly sauteed onions, lurvely - I had a weekend in Harrogate once upon a lifetime ago, and had a lunchtime pub meal of Yorkie, onions and gravy, it was utterly heavenly.

Might need to amend my Asda order to include some veggie gravy granules ....

Thanks SHS
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    My Granny used to serve Yorkshires like that, with the onions and gravy, as a first course. I think it was common among frugal northern folk decades ago. They were the big puds too, cake-tin circumference size, they filled an individual plate each. Needless to say, when the main course came out there was very little meat but that wasn't a problem as we were all full anyway
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: £4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £12411
    . Getting there.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 2nd Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    michelle09
    Sounds like a delicious tea! And that you've been nice and busy too.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks both! Yes, I *have* been busy, Michelle, and yesterday it was the turn of the upstairs. Instead of the lick and a promise version of cleaning I swept "properly", and was duly horrified

Tidied the kitchen too, but very little else got done. The cleaning counts as aerobic exercise though, so thats good

And I did increase my Asda order slightly, and it will be here in just over an hour so I have to clear the porch, pronto when I had clients in and out of the house, I'd never leave it like that

Sunshine! Yellow ball! Okay, all that means right now, cos of Asda, is that the washing will go out on the line, but after the order's been, I'll have a bit of a walk
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yah for the yellow ball
    One here today too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 3rd Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    And here! Except I'm stuck in an office all day.....

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 65,597 Thanks
    greent
    And here - have stuck some washing on the line as a result
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I meant to take a trip to a local NT property today, as all my rellies are in Norfolk, but I've messed up with the bus timings to such out of the way places it will have to be tomorrow now.

So, post was opened, and there are 3 online payments to be made, plus some jiggery pokery between current account and savings accounts. That will mean that I really can then do an accurate assessment of the financial situation (except more probate cheques have come in. These are small, though, and even I can divide by 3 for the prospective amount ).

I have a slight headache, so more food is an essential. Later on, I *might* even be organised enough to start practising SL's Yorkies
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hmm, well, I overscheduled, as usual the 3 payments are done, at any rate: French taxes, French management company (which both need quite a lot of faffing around) and an ordinary credit card. A tranche of my own newly inherited money has been sent to the instant saver account - I'm doing it gradually so I don't get caught up in their ott fraud software again, I'll explode if I have to deal with that again.

Also got out in the garden, a full binbag of dead twigs that have been hanging around for ages - they now smell of cat pee so they're not going on my soil as a home made mulch, they're straight out.

Now I have my tv back, I may have become addicted to Ninja Warrior as well as old seasons of Bake Off.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning

I had a proper sleep last night, blissful

I'm knocking the NT visit on the head, I want to do as much prep as I can for the arrival of stuff from my mum's house on Saturday.

MSE-wise, I *will* do the update on Net Worth, the last one was 1st July, and a lot has changed since then.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oooh looking forward to the net worth update

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Okay. Well, um, NW is good! A few forward pointers stand out:
    - I still need to be frugal, because there's no more income coming in from anywhere.
    - but I can most definitely have a life!
    - some focussed dfw work like a few surveys, and even a bit on sb if I get a new phone and can handle the phone methods of making free money, that will be fine.
    - most of the cash I was due to inherit is now in my accounts. And I never, ever included it in my own pension provisions, because I expected my mum to need it, to live to be older than her own mum, and she didn't.
    - the new Post Office Easy Saver is good, as are the two new Regular Savers, and the Ratesetter accounts, though the admin emails of the latter have some sort of difference this month - I think its as simple as a big early repayment from a borrower has meant more info coming to me. I'll check.
    - I definitely need to derisk the pensions - they're not 100% stocks and shares, there's some cash, and there's some funds, but I haven't been happy for ages with the balance, and I still haven't done anything. Bad Me!
    - French apartment - I originally valued it at £70k, I think thats probably optimistic, I've put it down to £35k. It might go for more, which would be very nice, and I'd certainly put it *on* for more.

So, my house is £300k, apartment is £35k, pension funds are £57k, house inheritance next year will be about £65k. Inherited dosh of £23k after expenses, and healthy chunks of cash and tax sheltered stocks and shares from my own savings. Blimey. Once you lift your nose up from the grindstone, sometimes life looks quite different!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Life looks different indeed
    Bitter sweet I think though?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

3,459Users online

Martin's Twitter