Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,064Posts
    • 154,293Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 309
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,594 Thanks
    beanielou
    Your poor sister
    A family member is due to fly with them on Monday.
    We will just have to see.
    Simply dire customer service.Dire.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 12,390 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh KC that is just horrible for your sis!

Fingers crossed she is now en route home!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 17th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    michelle09
    Eek... did she make it home ok?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,293 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Aw, thank you peeps she *did* get home, and a few hours before dawn, as well, she texted me but is obviously on autopilot right now, so we haven't spoken yet

to my sister, she has obligations for today, so it'll be a while before she can relax. At least she's back!

I've been playing about on Amazon, buying an organic herb that has great detox abilities. It can be stirred in to things, so its easy to use as well - I don't want to create difficulties for myself, so this is brilliant.

Today, I'm catching up with myself after doing *astonishingly* little yesterday. I'm going to go back to what I used to do when I worked, which is to get the house kind of tidy and kind of clean by Friday morning, and then not do anything routine during the weekend (other than loading the dishwasher ) so that even if I'm not going out so as to avoid crowding during flu season, I can still find something fun and unusual to do at home. I know it sounds mad, but my health is currently so dodgy, and *doing* really makes me feel like crap, which is why I suspect lymph drainage and detox is a good idea.

Off to do some of that right now
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 17,918 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Re your garden, have you considered getting someone in to help blitz some of it ready for winter to take the pressure off you? We have my cousin helping us today with one particular problem (a tree split last Sunday) but he might consider doing a few days to get us back on track. We lost so much time with my Mum's illness needing frequent trips to Scotland that it feels as though we are losing some of it and so I'm really hoping he will help. Ideally I could use him all through winter for 4-5 hours each day he comes to a neighbouring Village and I thought of you.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 17th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 20,142 Thanks
    earthgirl
    KC hope the remedies are helpful. I have been doing astonishingly very little too!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,293 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Re your garden, have you considered getting someone in to help blitz some of it ready for winter to take the pressure off you? We have my cousin helping us today with one particular problem (a tree split last Sunday) but he might consider doing a few days to get us back on track. We lost so much time with my Mum's illness needing frequent trips to Scotland that it feels as though we are losing some of it and so I'm really hoping he will help. Ideally I could use him all through winter for 4-5 hours each day he comes to a neighbouring Village and I thought of you.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    I had massive help from my brother in finishing off the cherry laurel, but none since then.

Trying to imagine it ... at the moment, to be honest, the hassle and anxiety about someone working on the garden would disturb me more than carrying on the way I am - I find it really stressful to have workmen, which is why I stick with the same building firm, for instance (and they're coming in to do a lot soon - repointing, loft hatch, sound insulation, lots of basic stuff). My brother can't come down here again. I think it's beanie's famous "plodding on" for now.

But thats really, really nice that you thought of me, thank you

KC hope the remedies are helpful. I have been doing astonishingly very little too!
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    I think our definitions of "very little" might be a bit different but I *do* know what you mean.

Loooong talk with my sister, a walk round the block and then half an hour bagging a big bucketful of garden rubbish. Thats one binbag done, thankfully, and a few brambles uprooted before they had time to dig in
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,594 Thanks
    beanielou
    Plodding on is always good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 17th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Yup, nowt wrong with plodding!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,293 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Right, its got to be a bit of an admin day today.
    - backing up the laptop onto the hard disc
    - backing up some of the hard disc onto my *old* laptop
    - renew my cat website domain - 123reg insist on payment via paypal, which drives me crazy, I don't *want* to do it that way, so the best option is to try once again to change my account details, and then pay by credit card just in case. Am holding and sending live chat message simultaneously
    - writing probate email and cheques to my bro and sister; when they cash the cheques, it will only be my money in my accounts, thank heavens.
    - Sainsbo Energy haven't taken the money I owe them (I owe them because they set the debit insanely low) so I need to faff about with meter readings and *more* emails/phone calls to crazy call centres.

22 minutes and counting for 123 reg, tho it *is* a bad time of day/week to call.

More later.

ETA I thought I'd cancelled paypal payments to 123reg. Their webpages say not. Done it now. More passwords updated and noted, with contact details of all sorts.

EETA paid for the cat website. Through a credit card, yay.

Save
    Last edited by Karmacat; 18-09-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 18th Sep 17, 1:58 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Very productive!! Fancy coming to do mine?

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,293 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Very productive!! Fancy coming to do mine?
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Not in the least
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,293 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Probate cheques, texts and emails have gone out, finally. I think my hotmail account needs a new password, it wouldn't send anything, but I sent stuff yesterday just fine. Ah well.

Did half an hour in the garden too.

I'm *so* not bothering with Sainsbo Energy today: if they really wanted the money, they'd take it from my account like they said they were going to do. Cuppa tea and a nice shower
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,594 Thanks
    beanielou
    You have beeb busy.

• SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 19th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    I think my hotmail account needs a new password, it wouldn't send anything, but I sent stuff yesterday just fine.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    It was probably a "it's not you, it's them" issue -
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-41306441
    Mtg [2013 £64k|2014 £51k|2015 £38k|2016 £26k] £15,667.31
    MN [2013-£25k|2014-£2k|2015+£16k|2016+£34k]
    48,973.75 (MFiT4:+60k)
    NW [2013 £126k|2014 £156k|2015 £190k|2016 £228k] £264,504.07 (2020:300k)
    FI [2013 -1.2%|2014 2.8%|2015 6.9%|2016 13%] 17.3%
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 6,434 Thanks
    themadvix
    I don't know, KC, one minute you're saying 'I need a gentle day, exhausted, etc' and the next you're ploughing through jobs like there's no tomorrow! Well done, but take care of yourself!

Glad your sister got home okay in the end.... Ryanair's actions just defy belief!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,293 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello all! Madvix, aww, thanks for thinking of me - I'm really careful not to tire myself, honestly. Physical work is the thing that really undermines me, mental work like the probate stuff is just "normally" horrible I have chronic fatigue, but not the full-blown syndrome, with brain fog et al, so I'm luckier than many.

Out with sister yesterday, she treated me to lunch at a vegan cafe cos of all the probate work I've done

Ayurvedic herb to help with energy levels has arrived - just realised I can buy powdered kelp too, I have some thats years old that really needs to be thrown away, and that will help with micronutrients. I feel a Healthy Supplies order coming on.

So today:
    - sort the Sainsbo Energy thing.
    - Healthy Supplies order
    - first aid for my doorchime: it was ticking, because the batteries inside (old rechargeables) were leaking will clean it up with an old toothbrush, and see if it will work again.
    - blog post I've drafted needs to get online.
    - gardening, a.k.a. navvying
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,293 Thanks
    Karmacat
    So today:
    - sort the Sainsbo Energy thing.
    I may have forgotten to input my numbers on the correct day, so the new system couldn't get going. Done it now, to my new supplier, if they talk to each other as they're supposed to, it should all work out

- Healthy Supplies order
    Ooh, it looks a lot when you do it all in one go! £60 on almonds, quinoa, brazils, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and flaked dulse (er, 40g of dulse, I'm guessing a little goes a *very* long way). At least I get free delivery for that sort of purchase.

Raining very determinedly here. Nothing doing in the garden right now, grrr.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 20th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 23,271 Posts
    • 40,648 Thanks
    ZTD
    Ooh, it looks a lot when you do it all in one go! £60 on almonds, quinoa, brazils, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and flaked dulse (er, 40g of dulse, I'm guessing a little goes a *very* long way).
    I looked that up.

Get your backside down to the beach with a knife. It's seaweed and there's shedloads (new SI unit) of it down there!
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 20th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    michelle09
    Oh no, did the toothbrush help the doorchime at all?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,575Posts Today

9,799Users online

Martin's Twitter