Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,042Posts
    • 154,112Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 308
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 12th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Do the pension call....get it out of the way and it will be done. Leave it, and it will torment you for ages!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,417 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hey KC - did you do the pension call? I totally agree with Betterthannever about getting it out of the way!

Just catching up after long weekend away - CBC the house martins were in full force in Norfolk - it was gorgeous watching them flit around!

On the food bank front, when I won some GF pasta recently I donated that to the food bank - just walked in the front door of the supermarket, no one seemed to care (recycled my shopping bags at the same time and didn't spend a penny there - I doubt many people do that!)
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,112 Thanks
    Karmacat

Nope. Nopetopus, as Captain Awkward would say ...

I did a lot on Tuesday, and went out on Wednesday, and those are my excuses, and I'm sticking to them, religiously, fanatically, and la-la-la-ing my way back to the kitchen for another cuppa tea

It *has* to be done, by 1 October, and preferably this week. I give in. Went and found what papers I could (not much, I've stashed them in the famous "somewhere safe", instead of where they're supposed to go, so of course I can't find the bulk of them. It's not going well so far, is it

I need to eat something now, but I promise I'll do the phone call today. And will report back today, as long as my wobbly connection lets me get online.

xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 14th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Make the call....you know it makes sense!!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,112 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oof, I was so, so close to not making the call and ducking out, cos I really, really hate talking to these peeps.

but I did it

Betterthan and madvix: thank you for the push! This is what diaries are for

Two calls, in fact. And asked for both of them to send me letters confirming what they said: that the merger doesn't mean my policies will be merged, and that (for Friends Life, at any rate) if I *did* go over £30k there's a way round the "you must talk to an IFA" - you can sign an execution only disclaimer. Hurray! I explained I was leery of making such a big financial decision on the basis of a phone call, which is why I want the letters. Also that I have two highly qualified IFAs in the family, so I don't want to pay for an external one

I also:
    - paid my two credit cards - think I'm going to find another Visa card, it used to be a charity card but the Coop stopped giving the charity the dosh, so no point staying with them.
    - sent £2k to France, it might be the last time I do that, more likely the next to last time. Mortgage finishes in a year's time!

While I'm on a pension roll, I may just phone Aviva about how I can cash in that pension eventually. The FL one is too old a policy to include the option of drawdown - it'd have to be 25% cash plus drawdown elsewhere (oh what a hardship! Like I'd go straight to the company! Pah!).

Am very pleased. I really want to eat something disgustingly unhealthy as a reward, but those days have to be done - am determined to regain energy and health. Maybe I'll buy an exotic fruit salad at the local convenience store
    Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,341 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 14th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Such a fab post!! Hurrah

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,112 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks! Yep, it felt good all the way round

The decisions about how best to get value from the pension funds is kicked down the way a little bit, but thats fine.

Happily, I can think back to my "September" list. Here it is, pared down a little cos I rabbit a lot:

- I'm in the middle of updating a master document of addresses and accounts, that needs to be finished.
    carrying on, fishing about on the pension and the French malarkey helped this a lot.

- decluttering: shredding, the couch & cushions nobody wants, hedging prunings and the ordinary garden rubbish.
    carrying on, I'd like to have got more garden rubbish out this morning, but at least I got rid of two of the big old cushions, after snipping nice big patchwork samples of the lovely materials.

- related to that, I need to prepare for the builders; although there's very little inside work being done this time, my three main rooms will be affected
    Absolutely no progress on this one though I've spied a few more glasses for the charity shop.

- pension research and action, including derisking.
    Woo hoo! Done, except for derisking. As I say, ultimate decision merely delayed, and I do want to crystallise gains before a stock market crash, but not *quite* the same urgency now.

- birthdays! Four big birthdays next month.
    Nothing yet.

- weeding/navvying. Oh god. Ogod, ogod, ogod please don't let my garden descend into chaos yet again.
    1.5 bags gone, since I wrote that post.

- kombucha and kefir. My SiL gave me the cultures. The kefir has died, I think got to find more and become better at culturing.
    I know why it died: I was doing it on my SiL's timetable, not mine, and lovely as she is, I need to do it on *my* schedule. And I'm still not quite ready, to be honest. I think the kombucha might still be alive, if it is, I'll keep it going.

I'm off out this morning to have a play in the next town over, mostly window shopping, but keeping an eye out for any of the things I need (a lightweight fleece, for one) especially on sale

Hope everyone's doing great
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,417 Thanks
    themadvix
    What a great post! Well done on the pension calls and exciting that the mortgage ends next year!

Have a nice morning window shopping - you deserve it after the pension call. Don't forget you're looking for birthday pressies for people too
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,112 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A very good point! I'm off soon too, thanks for that
    Retired August 2016
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 15th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,195 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Well done on getting the pensions sorted. My oh is terrible for putting off phoning these people. He emails instead and they never answer. Sometimes I have to give him a Chinese burn to make him do it. Xx
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 6,409 Posts
    • 64,712 Thanks
    greent
    Gold star achievement on phoning the pensions companies

Only a year of the French mortgage left, too - woohoo! Great stuff!

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1214.99/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,341 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope your window shopping went well

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,112 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello lovely peeps

No Chinese burns here unfortunately no birthday cards for people with a zero at the end of their numbers either, grrr. But I had a pleasant mooch about - nearly bought a couple of basil plants in Lidl, 65p a go, but the queue was so long, I couldn't quite hack it.

Shattered, deeply shattered, when I got back, in a very "gland-y" sort of way. I'm wondering about lymphatic drainage, I remember that being mentioned on here, and I just **feel** like it would help. Will do some research soon. I'm also copying anti-inflammatory info from a library ebook.

Still felt good this morning - only woke once in the night and actually felt *good* as I got up. That's very, very precious.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 16th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    michelle09
    That's always the problem with Lidl - it always seems to have insanely long queues. At least it gives you a chance to think if you really want it.

Hope the good awake feeling continues!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 16th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 27,387 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Well done on eating your frog KC.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,112 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you both

That's a good point about the length of the queue making the shopping mindful I really, really want the basil, but it's like the kefir my SiL gave me: it's not the right time, and it would die before I repotted it.

Just had a thought about future food shopping - the town in the *other* direction on the railway line also has a Lidl, and its nearer/cheaper to get to. If I took my trolley I could definitely buy enough to make a monthly trip worthwhile.

I've been mooching around indoors too long. Off out for an encounter with the outside world

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 16th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    michelle09
    You should have ours! It's taking over my kitchen windowsill and will probably die while we're away on holiday. Might have a go making some pesto with it. Or a lot of basil heavy meals in the next week.

Enjoy the outside world.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,341 Thanks
    beanielou
    Awesome to feel *good* as you wake up.
    Please send here.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,112 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You should have ours! It's taking over my kitchen windowsill and will probably die while we're away on holiday. Might have a go making some pesto with it. Or a lot of basil heavy meals in the next week.

Enjoy the outside world.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Aw, thats sweet but yes, go for some pesto my drug of choice

Awesome to feel *good* as you wake up.

Please send here.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Oh beanie, I know, I know I was thinking of you.

My sister has been caught up in the Ryanair debacle - right now she's being bussed between Danish airports we hope she'll get home before dawn ...

Save
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin