Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,035Posts
    • 154,082Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 307
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks EG! The recording isn't going the way it used to, not right now - I used to be able to pause a recording to avoid taping the adverts, but I can't do that yet. I *can* record, so thats good

Tidying up not going very well either
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,323 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yah to the cheques
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 27,368 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hope you are resting enough and using your spoons wisely.x
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 23,229 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I hope you are well, KC. Well done on getting your DVD recorder to work even if not yet with all it's functions. You are much more techy than me although I'll persist until I find a solution of sorts even though it may take a long long time. I'm stubborn that way and only ask for help or directions if absolutely desperate. It's a good thing that I do try to fix things though as OH is an absolute technophobe and I have to fathom things out for both of us

Feeling a bit bereft this morning as all our lovely house martins have upped and left us. One minute the skies were full of them, diving and swooping and suddenly they all disappeared.I think it's a tad early for their migration back to Africa, if I recall accurately it's usually a bit later in September when they leave. This summer has been such a windy, cool and rainy washout though that I expect they've had enough of it and think Africa is more appealing. Silly me, giving reasoning powers to birds
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 10-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: £4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there. Balance so out of date, must update asap!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 27,368 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Carboot that is very Tony Soprano.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 23,229 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Carboot that is very Tony Soprano.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Err, sorry, what is???? I've heard of Tony Soprano of course but haven't a clue how what I said relates to him in any way

EDIT: How sad am I? I've just been and Googled Tony Soprano. I've obviously too much time on my hands.

Wikipedia describes him as often displaying behaviour traits characteristic of a violent sociopath, and also as an avid animal lover with a sentimental attachment to animals.

I hope it was the latter trait that I brought to your mind and not the former
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 10-09-2017 at 12:31 PM.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It's okay CBC, I wondered what was Tony Soprano about that, too
    I hope you are well, KC. Well done on getting your DVD recorder to work even if not yet with all it's functions. You are much more techy than me although I'll persist until I find a solution of sorts even though it may take a long long time. I'm stubborn that way and only ask for help or directions if absolutely desperate. It's a good thing that I do try to fix things though as OH is an absolute technophobe and I have to fathom things out for both of us
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I read "techy" as "tetchy" at first thought it was quite surprising to read that

Feeling a bit bereft this morning as all our lovely house martins have upped and left us. One minute the skies were full of them, diving and swooping and suddenly they all disappeared.I think it's a tad early for their migration back to Africa, if I recall accurately it's usually a bit later in September when they leave. This summer has been such a windy, cool and rainy washout though that I expect they've had enough of it and think Africa is more appealing. Silly me, giving reasoning powers to birds
    I think that's exactly what they've done I've been reading a lot of anecdotal evidence of an early winter - this sounds like another one.

I *have* figured out a way to record without the adverts (you have to watch it at the same time, of course, so its only things that I want to keep). It's also a lot slower than I remember, *plus* the remote is dying, so I won't be doing it very often

Otherwise, a quiet day, I'm doing a few bits and bobs, but no focus whatsoever, just a gentle faff.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 27,368 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Err, sorry, what is???? I've heard of Tony Soprano of course but haven't a clue how what I said relates to him in any way

EDIT: How sad am I? I've just been and Googled Tony Soprano. I've obviously too much time on my hands.

Wikipedia describes him as often displaying behaviour traits characteristic of a violent sociopath, and also as an avid animal lover with a sentimental attachment to animals.

I hope it was the latter trait that I brought to your mind and not the former
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Sorry I know what I'm on about! Tony has a family of Ducks living in his swimming pool, who raise their babies and fly away leaving him bereft.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I had no idea either, shs, never watched it! At least, I watched the first season for how entertaining it was to see Tony going to a therapist, and the contortions she had to pull ethically to be able to work with such a criminal I've pulled a few contortions myself in my time

Anyway, popped back on to say that I may finally have updated *all* my bits and bobs on amazon - for ordinary purchases, for sales of used books, and for kindle sales. Between my ordinary bank account details being changed by the bank, and the old one I used for the kindle sales being closed for inactivity, plus constantly changing my passwords in various bits, it was very untidy. Better now
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,323 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on sorting out all your bits and bobs.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 23,229 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sorry I know what I'm on about! Tony has a family of Ducks living in his swimming pool, who raise their babies and fly away leaving him bereft.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Thank you, all is explained

I haven't seen a single episode of The Sopranos but have no idea why. I know lots of people with similar tastes to mine who were/are big fans. Might look out for some repeats

• greent
    • By greent 10th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 6,404 Posts
    • 64,679 Thanks
    greent
    Well done on getting all those bits sorted
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1214.99/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks greent - the other reason for getting it done is that now I'm in the house for a good bit of time (no probate visits, Norfolk visits or catsitting!) I can finally put things up for sale - and the account had got so problematic, Amazon closed down my sales account. Fixed now

Another follow up: I can record sans adverts, the way I used to, but the remote is on the way out, which makes it very difficult and very slow, so I may splash out on a new remote.

Goals post coming next.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    September goals
    Today:
    - quick trip to the supermarket, even though I have a delivery coming tomorrow, there's a few bits that I prefer not to buy from Asda.
    - text games evening people, we seem to have *all* retired now, so it can be during the day on a weekday I can't manage an evening out in another town.
    - pay credit cards, and at the same time check that the probate cheques have been credited. If so, send my brother his cheque; sister is away and has asked me to not send hers yet.
    - phone bro, he just met his new grandson
    - hopefully *something* from the list below.

September:

- I'm in the middle of updating a master document of addresses and accounts, that needs to be finished.
    - decluttering! Lots of rubbish to go: shredding, the couch nobody wants and the cushions (I'll stash big patches from the cushion covers, I just love the material) as well as the hedging prunings and the ordinary garden rubbish. Sister will help with a visit to the tip.
    - related to that, I need to prepare for the builders; although there's very little inside work being done this time, my three main rooms will be affected
    - pension research and action. I need to know definitively whether the pension company merger will mean my accounts will merge, and take me over the amount with one company where I'm legally obliged to pay for an IFA. But in any case, I need to derisk somewhat.
    - birthdays! Big month for birthdays next month, four of them have a zero at the end, which is quite a big deal, in a good way
    - weeding/navvying. Oh god. Ogod, ogod, ogod please don't let my garden descend into chaos yet again.
    - kombucha and kefir. My SiL gave me the cultures. The kefir has died, I think got to find more and become better at culturing.
    Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 11th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,370 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hi KC - great to hear that progress has been made on all the probate checks - we know just how good it feels to finally see all the work finally pay off (literally in this case!) Paperwork can be sooooooooo laborious!

That's a good size September list - just my style about 2 a week! I try to only have one goal on the weekends & one during the week

Achieved my weekend goal this week and it feels so good - sorted out our store cupboard & formulated a plan on how to use up gifted bits & bobs - I'm lucky to have benefactors but oh my they do have unusual tastes & buy some weird ingredients! We eat so simply by comparison.

Any ideas of what to do with a lifetime supply of across the pond 'American' yellow mustard? Also have 8 bottles of soy sauce - and we tend to mostly use tamari! - those to be taken to work I think with a free to a good home sign!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi KC

Just catching up again. Glad things are going fairly well at the moment.

Your story about the slippers has reminded me that I need to get some!

Take care.

MCI x
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £93679.00 (11.09.2017)
    OP's to Date £4500

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,323 Thanks
    beanielou
    That is some September list

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 12th Sep 17, 3:11 AM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 23,229 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Any ideas of what to do with a lifetime supply of across the pond 'American' yellow mustard? Also have 8 bottles of soy sauce - and we tend to mostly use tamari! - those to be taken to work I think with a free to a good home sign!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Sounds like a good idea. I was wondering if you could donatie to a Food Bank or Food Kitchen but I'm not sure if they are the type of thing they need/could use. There are bins in various supermarkets for people to leave a foodstuff donation when they've paid for their groceries. I'm not sure how Security would cope with anyone taking foodstuffs into the store to donate though

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi KC - great to hear that progress has been made on all the probate checks - we know just how good it feels to finally see all the work finally pay off (literally in this case!) Paperwork can be sooooooooo laborious!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Hi honey! So good to hear from you
    And yep, almost all the money has been recovered now, except premium bonds - I accidentally ticked the box that said "leave for a year", and since thats now so soon (December!) we're just going to leave them. They sent a letter, which cleared up a mystery amount in my bank account: once someone dies, they can't add win amounts to an account, they have to send money, which is fair enough, and thats what my mystery £25 is. Good to know.

That's a good size September list - just my style about 2 a week! I try to only have one goal on the weekends & one during the week
    I need to be sensible about this

I'm sure the garden won't be finished in September, but actually, you're right - everything else *could* be done. Must remember that, thanks RT.

Achieved my weekend goal this week and it feels so good - sorted out our store cupboard & formulated a plan on how to use up gifted bits & bobs - I'm lucky to have benefactors but oh my they do have unusual tastes & buy some weird ingredients! We eat so simply by comparison.

Not a clue, sorry - I just tend to use whatever I have in whatever I eat I have some supermarket own brand chutney that I won't use for its original purpose now, in salads, so I've been chucking it on top of pasta dishes (and stirring *very* well).

Hi KC

Just catching up again. Glad things are going fairly well at the moment.

Your story about the slippers has reminded me that I need to get some!

Take care.

MCI x
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Thats good! I haven't rinsed them with a weak cleaning solution yet, thats an easy one to do, must get round to that today.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Sep 17, 10:06 AM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Not too bad yesterday:
    - quick trip to the supermarket, even though I have a delivery coming tomorrow, there's a few bits that I prefer not to buy from Asda.
    done.

- text games evening people, we seem to have *all* retired now, so it can be during the day on a weekday I can't manage an evening out in another town.
    done, and agreed to, it means I'll get a door to door lift.

- pay credit cards, and at the same time check that the probate cheques have been credited. If so, send my brother his cheque; sister is away and has asked me to not send hers yet.
    Decided not to check yet in the end, I only put them in on Saturday. I *will* check today though.

- phone bro, he just met his new grandson
    done. He had a lovely time, they all went to Kew, he spent a good amount of time with the three year old as well

- hopefully *something* from the list below.
    Yes! The first one, updating the master document, I did all the supermarkets and a few of the finance ones.
    September:

- I'm in the middle of updating a master document of addresses and accounts, that needs to be finished.
    Originally posted by Karmacat

So today, hmmm:
    - Asda delivery needs to be unpacked and stored.
    - it's sunny out there, get some washing on the line before the afternoon's rain!
    - rinse out the new slipper bootees to stop them itching.
    - credit card and probate money check online, that's easy.
    - I should ring the pension company thats amalgamating I hate the idea, but I'm putting it off and dreading it, so best to get it done.
    - definite start on the garbage is needed, I need to get the bin full of the carp that has to go, by Friday morning at 7am, and I won't be able to do anything on the Wednesday, cos of the board games meetup.

Still got to give myself some time on mse threads though
    Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin