Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 27,467Posts
    • 149,125Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 299
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning!

- £2.38 earned from Ratesetter last month, it's proving excellent value.
    - just looked at Martin's newsletter - savings rates are on the up, for sure. The ISA account I opened and then shut immediately, last month, was with Paragon Bank, 1.41% p.a. fixed for 3 years. In the newsletter, it's now offering 2.1% p.a. fixed for the same amount of time.
    - 45 minute phone call yesterday with my bank - I was putting that money into an Easy Access account, and got caught up in their fraud software. A 45 minute phone call! It was so awful, I agreed to a suggestion that my phone number was deleted from their records - they always send a letter anyway, apparently. If its something too detailed for a letter, I'll make an appointment at my branch, I'm not going through that sort of phone conversation again for anything
    - I was "allowed" to transfer my money to my account again. I'd warned that I'd be transferring more - I was doing it in tranches to avoid this very situation! I'll try for some more today
    - just done first ever airbnb booking, so we can see Norfolk rellies without descending on them en masse. Sister had to book it via my laptop, as there was a security measure about taking her photo and comparing it to the one on her account. It was fascinating to see the process

Today, I'm just going to upload a blog post, send another piece of that savings money to its proper home, and do some more in the garden - I've thrown out the entire batch of soil in the cat poo container I'll be watching that like a hawk. I've also been going for the ants building nests on my patio - not acceptable I'm afraid, I don't want ants on my patio or in my house I'm mean like that
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 7,486 Posts
    • 36,046 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I'm mean like that in relation to ants as well KC! Bleurgh to long phone calls with the bank. Most vexing. I tried to make a mortgage appointment with a bank the other week and the wouldn't let me meet in branch, they refused to make anything other than a NINETY MINUTE phone appointment first Ninety minutes! Good grief.

Don't blame you for chucking the cat poo container. Have a cheery day, hope the sun is shining at your house like it is here
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    EEk to the bank.
    Sounds just dire
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello both **waves affectionately**

Yes, ants and cat poo, singly or in combinatin, are dire indeed

Just done a transfer of the latest tranche of the Post Office money, we'll see if I'm allowed

And I felt well enough to consider something other than gluten free pasta for 2nd breakfast - buckwheat pancake! Buckwheat has a splendiferous taste, and very little gluten, its lovely. Needs an accompaniment, I'll have to think about that, and I'm rubbish at actually making pancakes - I might have to make it in my halogen, like a baked souffle or something

And yes, Cheery - the sun is amazingly beautiful right now. Just done a machine wash on a sort of spring cleaning level, I'm all about renewal at the moment

PS no yougov for ages! They're not showing me the love

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 7,486 Posts
    • 36,046 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Bizarrely I had an email from YouGov this morning and I've not filled in one of their surveys for months if not years!
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I got to £50 recently, including *two* surveys for 150 points, and then they heartlessly abandoned me

Just done the blog post, and finally managed to formulate in my head something that will help me keep my expenses to a minimum - I can put my blog photos on my flickr account, and hotlink from there it's legal, flickr encourage it, and its my own account and my own photos, so they're Copyright Me. Win-win, except my ISP, who doesn't get to increase my charges Not doing it today, it's quite fiddly, but definitely one for the do-soon list.
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 16,091 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Just checking in and catching up and want ing to say hi, after a week at my Mum's in Scotland
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 50.68/50% including stores after June
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 6th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 18,607 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Great savings with the Flickr thing. Just goes to show we can always reduce our costs/ work around.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    themadvix
    Buckwheat pancakes sound yummy!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello you three

SL, glad you had such a good time - thats always nice. I've got a family visit coming up in 10 days or so

EG - it's interesting, isn't it, I've known of it, but now that my blogs are threatening to outgrow the tiny amount of storage space I rent, it's concentrated the mind wonderfully

Madvix - yep, the buckwheat is amazing. Though I've concluded that I'm a *terrible* cook - the baked souffle thing has definitely stayed with me overnight

Today ... I answered a bank survey about my recent telephone banking experience and I've even agreed that they can contact me. I've deleted my phone number from their system, the experience was so bad, so that will be a letter

Otherwise, cat blog, back up computer, try to survive in the heat. I'd really like to do a little bonfire, get rid of some of the woody waste in the garden, but its so hot, and I slept so badly last night, I'm loathe to introduce more heat to the world. I certainly have to tidy up today, as Pest Control Man is due for another visit

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 17, 9:22 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ha, I went without posting on here over the whole weekend Okay, updates:
    - pest control seems to be sorted as no bait taken, but I'm not sure.
    - finally started to work on the garden borders, got rid of the non-fruiting gooseberry, helped the useful, self seeded plants that were being overshadowed by it - dressed topsoil, added bark chippings.
    - had another bonfire, not too bad in the heat, actually, as for the most part I'm away from it, fetching twigs
    - wrote a cat blog.
    - backed up computer: the fan is whining really badly again, bearing in mind what Z said, I think I'm going to get it renewed. I can log in to email on the kindle, though I can't actually *send*, oops.
    - checked energy bill - after a year, I'm £54 in debit right now, though as I pay £24 a month, I'm hardly surprised
    - checked French current account - enough there to pay the management company, quarterly rent income is due to be added on the 13th, and next mortgage payment is due out on the 25th. Money will need to be sent either August or September, hopefully for the next to last time as the mortgage finishes in September next year down to E9008 now!
    - checked with HMRC - informed about stopping self employment, though I'll still need to declare the French income. And no tax is due at the end of this month.

Drat! I should have asked the HMRC peep about kindle etc income. Okay, other jobs:
    - pay the management company, check at the end of this week whether the rent has come in.
    - apply for refund from train company for the ticket I wasn't able to use.
    - send documents to kindle that I want to work on while the computer is away (sob) ...
    - might do a little bit of work on transferring one of my pensions to either Vanguard or Old Mutual Wealth....
    - and then there might be time to take the laptop to the computer shop (more sobbing)

Then I'm free to do more in the garden. Another bonfire? Certainly more digging the borders, which won't be too bad.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 20,960 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sounds like a very productive few days, KC, despite the heat which I always find saps my energy so much.

I'm glad your pest situation seems to be sorted at last, it must have been very unnerving hearing scratching sounds and not being able to see the culprits

I was quite upset this morning when I went out of the back door as I discovered the bodies of 3 half-fledged house martins on the ground. They'd obviously fallen out of the nest, which remains intact, but I don't know how they did it. I'll miss their chirruping and squawking just above my open bedroom window at the crack of dawn every morning. Never bothered me, I'm awake early anyway. The parents go to such pains to build their mud nests and it's so sad that this little brood hasn't made it. Apparently they lay 2 clutches of eggs each season so maybe they've had more success with the earlier one or will have if they've yet to. There are still 11 nests which have had/still have young in so it's been a successful year for the house martins in general
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-June: £1811.59 July: £141.74
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1900.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : £32316. Balance: £24488
    . These figures are completely out of date, must get them organised.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey Karmcat I dont know how you do iti.
    I really dont.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks CBC - what a shame about the house martins! Chirruping like that wouldn't bother me either, not with such a lovely source. I wonder if they were first time parents, and didn't build the nest with quite the right entry way, so to speak? Poor things

I really dont.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Awww, beanie. Bear in mind, I've spent every afternoon for the last 2 weeks in bed - 3 or 4 hours a day. Yesterday was the first time I didn't go to bed, and I still sat around for 2 or 3 hours, watching DVDs. The finance items on the list above take 5 minutes or so, something like that. They're important, and I kind of dread doing them, but they really don't take long, honestly. The one that took longest was the HMRC, but thats because I was on hold - I was checking out threads on here while that was happening.

I've come back on here already, by the way, because I loathe this stuff

In the meantime I *had* to go pay the French management company - I've paid a late payment fee twice in the last year, being so disorganised, and thats not good so I went over there, and there's enough money left in the account for the mortgage payment this month, even before the rent comes in on the 13th, so I might be able to get away with not sending more money till November or December. Maybe!

Right, next is the refund from Southern Railway.
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    themadvix
    It sounds like you're really cracking on with things KC! I'm very impressed you've managed so much when it's been so hot - I only seem to be productive first thing in the morning and last thing at night at the moment.

Sorry to hear about the house martins CBC - so sad
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It sounds like you're really cracking on with things KC! I'm very impressed you've managed so much when it's been so hot - I only seem to be productive first thing in the morning and last thing at night at the moment.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    I'm only productive first thing in the morning, madvix - see below

I really dont.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Turns out I was finished for the day when I replied yesterday another 3 hours in bed, feeling awful. I try to be positive, but I've obviously been ignoring the effects of being ill, completely so, on here.

So, this is what I *don't* do any more, because I feel so ill:
    edit: there were 20 items in this part of the post, I deleted them, too much to see at once.

I get really, really bored with such an empty life, and when I do something (because I can do things, even some of the things above, for 15 - 30 minutes or so) I'm exhausted, sometimes for days. The current, severe fatigue attack came on because I went on a gentle country walk with my sister. We walked slow, we drank water, we sat and rested. And still it's knocked me out for 3 weeks now. It's very upsetting.

I try to focus on the positives, but that doesn't mean the negatives aren't there, and I'm maybe giving a false impression of my life, it seems as though its getting a bit out of balance. Sorry for that, but I need to redress it.

Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 11th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 7,715 Posts
    • 86,128 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Am sending you a huge hug and tons of support xxxxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Am sending you a huge hug and tons of support xxxxx
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    As I am too xx

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 11th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 11,655 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Me Three

Lots of good vibes and energy filled hugs being sent your way!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 20,960 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Me Three

Lots of good vibes and energy filled hugs being sent your way!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Me four
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-June: £1811.59 July: £141.74
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1900.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : £32316. Balance: £24488
    . These figures are completely out of date, must get them organised.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

782Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin