Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,077Posts
    • 154,363Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 295
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi KC
    Originally posted by misscousinitt

Glad to read that your 'problem' was none rat related!!!!
    There's definitely an embarrassment factor I also wonder about my lovely pest control man having no real sense of smell, and wonder if this is the smell people talk about when they describe rats dying in the walls

Ahhh the BM - it's been a very long time since I have been there - I would love to go again.
    It was great! My sister was gifted a membership, so for our tea, we went to the members room, which looks down on the courtyard!

Take care and take it easy.

MCI x
    Thanks MCI, will do - I've done astonishingly little today, except a summarising job I volunteered for on Old Style, but after I've had a cuppa tea, and phoned bruv, I'll go into the garden, it'll be cooler then.

Glad to see you a little bit
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    themadvix
    The members' room sounds fancy! What fun!

Enjoy the cool in the garden - it's such a lovely day, but a bit too hot for me!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Jun 17, 11:31 PM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,666 Thanks
    ZTD
    Thanks earthgirl - I don't suppose either of you want to post examples of your lists on here? To give me a flavour? I'm deeply, deeply, rubbish at cleaning, I never noticed my mum doing any when I was at home (a lot went on in the kitchen I know, but after offering my help endless times and having it refused because I was slow, I used to hide in my bedroom because everywhere else was cold - I've really no clue!).
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    My parents had a conversation with their next door neighbour where she was complaining that her kids didn't know how to do anything (in the DIY line especially). My parents pointed out that they (and her) were all the authors of their own misfortune, as they never allowed the kids to *do* anything when they were growing up. Never mind actually *showing* them.

I can do *small* jobs in the plumbing/brickying/electrical lines - but that's all self-taught.

There's definitely an embarrassment factor I also wonder about my lovely pest control man having no real sense of smell, and wonder if this is the smell people talk about when they describe rats dying in the walls
    There is a phenomenon called Olfactory Adaptation and let's face it, he probably smells a lot of dead rats since he kills them for a living...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 15th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 30,237 Thanks
    AlexLK
    The American Dream exhibition sounds fantastic. Just looked it up online.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Enjoy the cool in the garden - it's such a lovely day, but a bit too hot for me!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Yep, there are still a lot of cool areas in the garden, it's *very* pleasant out there

My parents had a conversation with their next door neighbour where she was complaining that her kids didn't know how to do anything (in the DIY line especially). My parents pointed out that they (and her) were all the authors of their own misfortune, as they never allowed the kids to *do* anything when they were growing up. Never mind actually *showing* them.

I can do *small* jobs in the plumbing/brickying/electrical lines - but that's all self-taught.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Sorry you've faced that too, Z

As for livestock in the house, I've been told that my grandad used to release stuff he'd caught in the kitchen when I was a toddler, and let me run around after it big stuff he'd caught in lobster pots no wonder I loved him so much

There is a phenomenon called Olfactory Adaptation and let's face it, he probably smells a lot of dead rats since he kills them for a living...
    I think you're right, Z!

The American Dream exhibition sounds fantastic. Just looked it up online.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    It was brilliant, Alex - we're going to go to the Japanese one too, the northwest Native American one, and I've just seen details of the Scythian one (I didn't know the Scythians came from Siberia???).

Today, it needs to be a proper work day, I've had a fair time off:
    - put washing machine on.
    - use dehydrator
    - open post (it does build up )
    - tidy and clean, pest control guy is arriving c 5pm.
    - download photos to computer
    - send complaint to Waitrose (onions I bought on Saturday were rotten!!!).
    - open post office easy saver acc
    - cat blog, other blog
    - Old Style thread summary
    - send Diana photos to my sister.

Thats 10, uh-oh, and some are a bit big - I'll see how it goes.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    - use dehydrator
    - send Diana photos to my sister

- cat blog, other blog

Okay, not bad, but some of it I've only done because I wanted to do this update
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Waitrose got their act together really quickly - I'm used to the level of refund given for problems during online shopping, I suppose, which are *more* generous than in person, I think - so now, email with attached pics of mouldy onions sent, email acknowledged, refund agreed to ... and a gift voucher! Didn't expect that. So I'll have quite a bit of food shopping I can do tomorrow - between the nectar points, the money off vouchers, the refund and the gift voucher, thats a week's food shopping - not to be sneezed at.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 48,556 Posts
    • 178,790 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not to be sneezed at indeed~~result
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,188 Thanks
    edinburgher
    KC, saw this offer and thought you might be able to use it? I'm using it to get myself discounts on wine, basically it's loads of Morrison's points for buying £50 John Lewis vouchers (that can be used at Waitrose). Effectively 12% off Waitrose if you have access to both supermarkets.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/6250-morrisons-points-when-you-purchase-a-50-john-lewis-waitrose-currys-ms-gift-card-125-return-on-spend-morrisons-instore-maximum-100-morrisons-vouchers-on-a-800-gift-card-spend-2709954
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 16th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 20,150 Thanks
    earthgirl
    - use dehydrator
    - send Diana photos to my sister

- cat blog, other blog

Okay, not bad, but some of it I've only done because I wanted to do this update
    Save
    Hehe well done anyway!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    KC, saw this offer and thought you might be able to use it? I'm using it to get myself discounts on wine, basically it's loads of Morrison's points for buying £50 John Lewis vouchers (that can be used at Waitrose). Effectively 12% off Waitrose if you have access to both supermarkets.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/6250-morrisons-points-when-you-purchase-a-50-john-lewis-waitrose-currys-ms-gift-card-125-return-on-spend-morrisons-instore-maximum-100-morrisons-vouchers-on-a-800-gift-card-spend-2709954
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Ed, thanks for this! I could use it next week if I go to Southport with my brother - we used to have a mini Morrisons here but it closed. Appreciated that you popped in to run it by, ta muchly. I'm hoping from next month I'll be doing a lot more deals like this.
    Hehe well done anyway!
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Tee hee, thanks!

I did do quite a lot of cleaning in the end - unfortunately, I haven't seen the last of the rats, all but one of the pieces of bait disappeared this week - it's a possibility that they sniff yummy choccie flavours on another rat's coat, and follow the trail back to the food source A fortnight till the next appt.

Never mind, orf to bed now
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Went to Waitrose this morning, and indeed, a voucher was waiting for me at the customer service desk. They are hereby formally forgiven

I focussed on storecupboard stuff with my 20% discount for mywaitrose membership: so 9 toilet rolls, nice quality, were £3, which is as cheap as any supermarket, and roasted cashew nuts (which I nibble in place of a main protein with my main meal), dishwasher tablets, teabags, and a bottle of wine for our games evening next month. Bill was 23.50 or so, reduced to £18-something, plus a free cuppa tea, less voucher - the money I actually paid over came to £3.80, something like that.

V pleased

Also bought my rail ticket for next week - Advance tickets were about £60 when I first checked, so I've stayed with Off Peak for the flexibility, only £8 more. Between the trickiness of the situation on Merseyside, and the awfulness of the illness in Norfolk, I need that flexibility - might need to do a partial refund and drive to Norfolk from Merseyside, for instance.

Otherwise, I've done nothing at all, its too hot - oh, except yougov polls, I'm now on 4780, only 220 more points needed
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 17th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Ha ha you are so clever and funny KC.

Send me your self seeded Alchemilla!!
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 12,394 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hi KC!

Replying from a couple of days ago about the cleaning rota...

...many moons ago, I found a couple of great lists on t'internet...

Kitchen is this one, but to be fair, in our house some of them (like No. 7) are prefaced with "While I'm at work today could you please..." - he who is retired gets to do the bulk of the housework these days but often needs prompting...

I have a similar one for bathroom, but can't seem to find it atm - this one is very similar - you get the gist - little and often seems to be the trick to not being overwhelmed - with a focus on kitchen and bathroom which need to be tended to every day!
    Last edited by rtandon27; 17-06-2017 at 4:37 PM.
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 48,556 Posts
    • 178,790 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh to be nearly at payout on You Gov
    WEll done.
    I have stops and starts.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ha ha you are so clever and funny KC.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Fank you

Send me your self seeded Alchemilla!!
    I will, if you want, no probs - the divvel is to *stop* them seeding, they lurve my soil. Won't be till after I get back from bruv visit though

Hi KC!

Replying from a couple of days ago about the cleaning rota...

...many moons ago, I found a couple of great lists on t'internet...

Kitchen is this one, but to be fair, in our house some of them (like No. 7) are prefaced with "While I'm at work today could you please..." - he who is retired gets to do the bulk of the housework these days but often needs prompting...

I have a similar one for bathroom, but can't seem to find it atm - this one is very similar - you get the gist - little and often seems to be the trick to not being overwhelmed - with a focus on kitchen and bathroom which need to be tended to every day!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Hiya

That kitchen one is interesting! I have to tell you, some things (wiping down the walls ) would take a lot longer than 20 minutes! But turnabout is fair play, some would take less - cleaning the cleaning tools, frinstance Thank you for that!

Oh to be nearly at payout on You Gov
    WEll done. I have stops and starts.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I know, I know ... I think it's my third, unbelievably. I go in fits and starts too, but if I *can* bear to do them when I get them, its a good thing. There was a huge political one, something like 150 points, and that brought me on a long way.

Plus, of course, I don't earn anything, so its all mine, I tell you, mine, hahahahaha

ETA - just looked at the bathroom thing, now *thats* my kind of list, 5 minutes a day, yay!
    Save
    Last edited by Karmacat; 17-06-2017 at 5:54 PM.
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 18th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Not really I don't think they'd survive the journey.x
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 18th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 20,150 Thanks
    earthgirl
    This is all I can manage:
    Almost daily - sweep with carpet brush thing, keep sink shining.
    Weekly - wipe bathroom surfaces, do all washing and put away.

Week 1 - fairly deep clean of bathrooms
    Week 2 - proper Hoover and mop, dust whole house
    Week3 - change beds clean glass

I know people might think I'm scummy but I'm being honest, this is all I can mange, and the house always looks ok and we always have clean clothes. I don't iron!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 12,394 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Kitchen & bathrooms are what I strive to keep on top of...

The rest of the house is a constant work in progress...
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,363 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for that! Earthgirl, I don't think you're at all scummy - this is real life, not adverts. We're not toiling in the fields, we don't have earth floors, seems realistic to me. Interesting to have a 3 week cycle. I do want to remember to sweep the floors every week (mostly vinyl flooring in my house), so weeks 1 - 3 might be:
    - bathroom and 2nd toilet
    - kitchen
    - bedroom (dusting and changing bed, basically).

Interesting! RT, I am *so* with you on the work in progress thing ... I always think I'm about there with the backlog of spring cleaning and getting the garden straight, and then I look at it and think ... erm, no

SHS - say the word and I'll try

Flexible rail ticket turns out to have been necessary - family issue means I can't travel when I planned, we'll have to see what happens. Hey ho.

So I did 20 mins out in the garden, once the worst of the heat had gone, nothing much, just enough to let me tell myself I'm still a gardener
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,374Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin