Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,075Posts
    • 154,352Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 294
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 12,393 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Don't forget to add REST to your list!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Rest was the constant, I assure you! I did very little once I'd bought my veggies and cards. Today - supposed to be going up to London, but the storm created so many problems, we decided not to, and instead drove to the coast to watch the waves Very blowy and tired but in a good way, we didn't walk far at all, we hopped in the car for distances of a couple of hundred yards We stopped on the front to write out and co-sign the cards, which felt good.

Literally done nothing else. House is filthy, garden is rampant once again I'll probably spend half an hour this evening just tidying the house, enough so that it's liveable and fairly hygienic.

I need to do quite a lot of life admin tomorrow .... ulp.
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 6th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 20,150 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Glad you had a good day. Its certainly blowy up here on the coast!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I do love a good blowy day to blow out the cobwebs, so invigorating
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It was gorgeous! We had a great view of the waves as they rolled right through the Channel from the Atlantic, breaking on a marina wall

Right, got my list:
    - post cards
    - pay 123reg and sort paypal account details
    - pay my website host
    - start to fund the Virgin regular saver
    - renew library books (again )
    - phone bruv
    - phone sister
    - once the list is done, have a long hot shower.
    - if I want to do anything else, faff about with the evacuee letters.

ETA - still no news on the Post Office recalling the money from the Paragon Bank isa I need to chase that

Save
    Last edited by Karmacat; 07-06-2017 at 8:45 AM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    - post cards
    done

- pay 123reg and sort paypal account details
    done, good lord, it took forever!

- pay my website host
    done, hurray, that was fast!

- start to fund the Virgin regular saver
    done, good lord, this also took forever!

- renew library books (again )
    don't need to be renewed till the 12th.

- phone sister
    done, transport tomorrow arranged.

- phone bruv

- once the list is done, have a long hot shower.
    done - though list not completed, I don't care

- if I want to do anything else, faff about with the evacuee letters.

- chase Post Office recalling the money from the Paragon Bank isa
    I think the most I can do on this today is send an email. PO were supposed to ring me. Paragon have my money now, but PO are supposed to be calling it back. Pah. Still, I've been facing the computer for a looooong time now, going to pop out to get some fresh air.

Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Last edited by Karmacat; 07-06-2017 at 9:27 PM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning lovely people

As I mentioned on the Kon Mari thread, I was at the Antiques Roadshow yesterday, and had a mug valued ... a Silver Jubilee mug from 1977, made by an artisan potter and gifted to immediate family and friends (okay, his children and their partners). Over £100 so I'll find a nicer place to put it than the top of a kitchen cabinet ...

Utterly exhausted by being out in the wind for so long - I think there were more people than they were expecting, it's a rich part of the country, no mistake, so there's a lot of stuff stored away in attics and garages for people to bring along. Very interesting, though, and it was held at a National Trust place that I can get to by public transport easily.

Still need a bit of a list for today:
    - contact Post Office to chase their retrieval of the new ISA money
    - contact Friends Life so I can sort out logging on and find out how pension money is distributed between stocks/bonds/cash etc.
    - phone bruv.
    - open post.
    - Note for the squeamish: don't read this paragraph, seriously, it's not nice.
    pest control guy is coming along today, 3rd visit, and I need selected cleaning to be able to demonstrate exactly what I'm freaking about - two areas downstairs smell absolutely terrible! Is that mould starting to grow (very unlikely but not impossible) or is it what I think it *really* is, the decaying bodies of rats caught in the cavity wall?

Save
    Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 17,929 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    - Note for the squeamish: don't read this paragraph, seriously, it's not nice.
    pest control guy is coming along today, 3rd visit, and I need selected cleaning to be able to demonstrate exactly what I'm freaking about - two areas downstairs smell absolutely terrible! Is that mould starting to grow (very unlikely but not impossible) or is it what I think it *really* is, the decaying bodies of rats caught in the cavity wall?

Save
    Save
    Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Oh my! It is an unmistakable smell...
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 9th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    themadvix
    That sounds truly grim!! I hope the pest control man can sort it out for you!

Excellent news about the mug - how cool! I've always fancied going to an Antiques Roadshow day, they look really interesting, but I'm not sure I've really got anything to take.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds truly grim!! I hope the pest control man can sort it out for you!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Agreed on all counts

Excellent news about the mug - how cool! I've always fancied going to an Antiques Roadshow day, they look really interesting, but I'm not sure I've really got anything to take.
    I'd certainly go again for the experience, but I'd never take anything again ... waiting in line for so long (3 hours to reception, another hour in the ceramics queue) was awful I was in a lot of pain, and very cold, and sick with hunger because I didn't dare eat cos of how lousy my digestion is And its just *boring* to queue for that amount of time, no matter how nice the other participants were. And they were.

One young woman had gone there straight from dropping off her son at school, and needed to be back at about 3pm to pick him up, of course. At about 1pm, she went off to ask the organisers if there was any chance she'd be seen by about 2.30, time enough to get back to her town. No, there wasn't a chance of that, so she left.

I'm cleaning right now - emptying kitchen cupboards so the rat issue can be clarified. Can't face phone calls.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    My lovely pest control guy is very happy - of the six pieces of bait he put in the loft, only one has gone. And he looked properly at my cupboards in the kitchen, took a good sniff, pointed out a few cobwebs as a good thing, felt the far wall to see if it was wet (it wasn't) - and quite a few things I've pulled out from the cupboard, especially artisan wooden plates etc, have mould on them

I can't quite believe I'm going to say this, but I think its just mould, that cupboard no longer gets aired after I plugged the holes to the outside, and its overstuffed for the amount of ventilation it *does* get - that's just how it is ... whatever work I can manage to do, it's all about that, nothing is more important, I don't care if I get stuck with a bad ISA ... having wholesome air in the house is more important.

A cleaning schedule will be initiated.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well, I had to go to the supermarket yesterday morning - managed to get there before the rush, that was good - and when I recovered, there was gradual deep-cleaning going on. That will continue today, plus airing stuff.

Tried to do a bit of writing for the travel book but couldn't focus, so I did an appendix of links to the places I'd referred to, at least it was something.

Today will be more cleaning and disinfecting, though any computer work needs to be on the evacuee letters.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Can't focus on the financial admin for the life of me, so I'm focussing on blog admin my excuse is I had a bad sleep, and I'm off to London anyway, so I don't want to push myself

Uh oh. **lists** of excuses

It's all in line with the greater plan. I'm just putting some beans in the slow cooker, did a *lot* of weeding yesterday and I'll do more in a mo as long as it doesn't rain - ambition is to get rid of one of the self seeded lady's mantle plants (sorry SHS!) there are *so* many, to give space to plant the sage plant.

In other good news - my poor little scabious did *not* die. I love scabious, but I'm terrible at recognising the leaves, so this time, I'll repot that too

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 12th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 12,393 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Uh oh. **lists** of excuses
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Any list is a GOOD list!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 20,150 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Don't over do it with the cleaning. I have a tiny rota just for myself think it helps to give me a focus! Good luck with the airing, lots of health benefits x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 12,393 Thanks
    rtandon27
    oh yes - agree with a rota - we have one for the kitchen & one for the bathroom - only one thing gets done a day - so minor it does not seem like cleaning...

...now the rest of the house is a whole other story...

(baby steps and all)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Any list is a GOOD list!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    That's a novel way of looking at excuses for not cleaning much appreciated

Don't over do it with the cleaning. I have a tiny rota just for myself think it helps to give me a focus! Good luck with the airing, lots of health benefits x
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Thanks earthgirl - I don't suppose either of you want to post examples of your lists on here? To give me a flavour? I'm deeply, deeply, rubbish at cleaning, I never noticed my mum doing any when I was at home (a lot went on in the kitchen I know, but after offering my help endless times and having it refused because I was slow, I used to hide in my bedroom because everywhere else was cold - I've really no clue!).

British Museum trip to see The American Dream was amazing - the kind of day out that retirement is supposed to be about we were hours later finishing than I thought we'd be, but it was brilliant

Today. Cleaning and/or weeding. I must do **one** financial admin phone call, I have to, it's getting a bit mad.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    I dont have a cleaning rota.
    I clean as & when.
    In 20 mins bursts max.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 28,075 Posts
    • 154,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's kind of what I do, beanie, but I refer to it as crisis management

Little bits achieved yesterday, in spite of being tired from going to London:

- two sessions of cutting back the box hedge yesterday, and I'll do another today. I'm so close to finishing! And the huge mahonia is finally exposed to sunlight nearly all the way round - its grown a bit wonky over the last 5 years, I think because of the hedge expanding to smother it

- not really an achievement, but a phone call I accepted - Post Office have retrieved that ISA money from Paragon, ie from the 3 year fix at 1.41%. I have to open an easy access today at 1.01%, which is fine and not even an isa, the woman gave me the reference so I can link up the application with the money. I have a lot of money going out on Regular Savers, as well as ordinary living expenses, and I need to get the big jobs done of replastering and whatnot, so this money is important.

- used nectar card money to go to Sainsbo, £7.50 hurray, plus popped into Waitrose and got 60p off fresh veg, which is amazing - how often does that happen, that vouchers are for fresh veg? And just as good, Sainsbo gave me high value till spits for points for stuff I actually buy I may stock up
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 15th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi KC

Glad to read that your 'problem' was none rat related!!!!

Ahhh the BM - it's been a very long time since I have been there - I would love to go again.

Take care and take it easy.

MCI x
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £93679.00 (11.09.2017)
    OP's to Date £4500

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,278Posts Today

6,938Users online

Martin's Twitter