Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 27,241Posts
    • 146,658Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of 25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
Page 284
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 27,241 Posts
    • 146,658 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Irish records are a nightmare! My paternal grandfather's family are from Waterford. We have a typical Irish surname - which can be spelled several different ways - in the records one member of our family (being poor illiterate folk and not being able to spell / read themselves to check details...) had the surname spelled one way on the birth records, another for his marriage records - and yet another for the burial records! Can make tracing people quite hard
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    Absolutely! And of course, if they spoke Gaelic, but the records were written in English by an English official ... heaven only knows the result!

Just had a look at what's included - the guy with the Irish birth in 1889 temporarily emigrated to Canada, and might be in their 1911 census! You just never know

My children gave me NT membership for my birthday a few years ago and it was great, but after a year we had done all of the places within easy travel distance. Most of the properties seem to be in the north and Midlands. So well worth doing, but not for long!
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Excellent news! Thats good to hear that someone else thought the same way.

It's Easter! Bank holibobs! Oh, I'm retired ... I don't work anyway
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of 25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Apr 17, 5:47 PM
    • 16,342 Posts
    • 106,972 Thanks
    gallygirl
    It's Easter! Bank holibobs! Oh, I'm retired ... I don't work anyway
    Yup, no weekends or Bank Holidays off, it's Hell I tell you, Hell
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 17, 8:29 PM
    • 27,241 Posts
    • 146,658 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It still feels very odd, Gally same as it feels odd that I'm the age I am

Lovely time yesterday with friends

My router has been temperamental today, so I couldn't get on till now. But I have indeed worked on the letters my mum wrote when she was a teenager evacuee - and I can guarantee you it wasn't all Mrs Miniver land - it was definitely more about the clothes, the entertainment, the boys, and getting paid for picking the blackcurrants some of it is very funny

Plus I used my dehydrator decimated the lemon balm, though I should have done it last week, the snails had nibble two thirds of it

*And* I went a walk. *And* I've tried to figure out how to reset my central heating and hot water so I stop heating it when I'm not using it. I'm feeling very virtuous
    Retired August 2016

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 16th Apr 17, 10:06 AM
    • 16,342 Posts
    • 106,972 Thanks
    gallygirl
    It still feels very odd, Gally same as it feels odd that I'm the age I am
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    It's even worse when your kids are almost as old as you think you really are .
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...not as bad as being as old as your mother was when you where at the age you think you are in your head...

...did that make any sense?...
    Mine/Hers: May 201110835.33May 20164709.46Oct 20160
    Not Mine/His: June 20168175.38Oct 20160
    Grand Total0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 16th Apr 17, 9:20 PM
    • 16,342 Posts
    • 106,972 Thanks
    gallygirl
    ...not as bad as being as old as your mother was when you where at the age you think you are in your head...

...did that make any sense?...
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Not really, but worryingly I know what you mean
    Save
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Apr 17, 10:11 AM
    • 27,241 Posts
    • 146,658 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ditto to all that
    Retired August 2016

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 15,289 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    And how old are we all, in our heads? 37 I think for me (except my knees - they are definitely a bit older)
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save 12k in 2017 #64 - 4340.03/4583.33 (39.45%/41.66%) after May - my annual target is 11,000 (Save 12k in 2016 thread 10,488.04/10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of 3,600 3000 (reduced from Apr) - 40.12/41.67% including stores after May
    Reading and learning about investing...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Apr 17, 1:03 PM
    • 27,241 Posts
    • 146,658 Thanks
    Karmacat
    37 sounds good! I like that I remember not liking being 39, because everybody new made lots of very tired jokes about being "eternally under 40", etc etc, and as I looked very young for my age till about 5 years ago it was Quite Annoying
    Save
    Retired August 2016

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th Apr 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    rtandon27

... but only because that's the year I moved away from home and out on my own...
    Mine/Hers: May 201110835.33May 20164709.46Oct 20160
    Not Mine/His: June 20168175.38Oct 20160
    Grand Total0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 27,241 Posts
    • 146,658 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I was an idiot when I was 19, I don't know how I didn't come a severe cropper. 28 was great. 43 was great. 50 was a wow though I'd still rather be 37
    Save
    Retired August 2016

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Apr 17, 4:29 PM
    • 7,402 Posts
    • 35,586 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I'm turning 37 next week Like, in real life, not just in my head In my head though? Not sure. I think I've always felt like I was in my mid 30s, and now I *am* in my mid 30s I'm not so sure Struggling to come to terms with the recent appearance of grey hair over my ears though always thought i'd be ok with it but it turns out I'm not
    Saved for house move: 11,884.95
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Apr 17, 7:46 PM
    • 27,241 Posts
    • 146,658 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yay to being 37

I sympathise with the grey hair, Cheery - maybe hair dye is safe these days? My genetics gave me, not only grey hair, but a predisposition to skin cancer - far too many cases in my family to think of dyeing my hair back when I was 37 I bet the formulations are better nowadays.

I've just been watching a cat patrolling my garden, very precise, very deliberate - there's a few piles of rubbish waiting to be burned and he sniffed and investigated everything. Cats definitely do that thing of sharing territory by patrolling at different times of day. Another one sits attentively at the front, hidden by the bins, but thats first thing in the morning. Cat politics, I love them.
    Retired August 2016

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 18th Apr 17, 7:58 AM
    • 16,342 Posts
    • 106,972 Thanks
    gallygirl
    But KC, we know that grey hair rocks, don't we
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Apr 17, 8:17 AM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 20,295 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    But KC, we know that grey hair rocks, don't we
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    It certainly does, gallygirl

I've never felt so liberated since I stopped dying my hair last year. I dyed it for the past 30 years (with all the expense!) and as it grows ridiculously quickly I was forever having the worry of touching up the roots. I don't imagine really tall people need to worry so much but being only 5ft 1 everyone looks down on my head. The worst part was growing out the colour, the 'tidemark' look wasn't very attractive but as it grows very quickly as I already mentioned it didn't take all that long to get rid of it for good. I did it over the winter when I could get away with wearing a woolly hat whenever I was out and about.

I've always had my hair fairly longish but to get rid of the very last vestiges of colour I had it cut really short to leave it just grey and silver. I love it, it's a nice colour not just pepper and salt, and I wish I'd had the courage to do it sooner.

I still get a bit of a shock though when I suddenly catch sight of myself in a large mirror or reflected in a windowpane. I still can't reconcile the fact that I really am an 'old' lady. I might be a pensioner but I still have my health and lots of energy and feel about 25 inside. I hope I never grow up
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 18-04-2017 at 8:21 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Apr: 1240.02. May: 380.96
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : 32316. Balance: 24488
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 18th Apr 17, 9:53 AM
    • 16,342 Posts
    • 106,972 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I love it, it's a nice colour not just pepper and salt, and I wish I'd had the courage to do it sooner.

I still get a bit of a shock though when I suddenly catch sight of myself in a large mirror or reflected in a windowpane. I still can't reconcile the fact that I really am an 'old' lady. I might be a pensioner but I still have my health and lots of energy and feel about 25 inside. I hope I never grow up
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Me too, I love my hair colour for the first time in my life . And I have had so many compliments on it (and love saying 'thanks, I grew it myself '). Nothing to do with being a pensioner, I'm a long way off it, anyway it's really trendy .
    Save
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Apr 17, 10:01 AM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 20,295 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Nothing to do with being a pensioner, I'm a long way off it, anyway it's really trendy .
    Save
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I know it's trendy for younger people to 'go grey' but I'm not so sure it's all that trendy for an OAP
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Apr: 1240.02. May: 380.96
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : 32316. Balance: 24488
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 17, 10:13 AM
    • 27,241 Posts
    • 146,658 Thanks
    Karmacat
    grey hair *does* rock, GG and CBC - in fact, someone commented to me that they thought I'd had lo-lites done, thats how good it looked

Nothing whatsoever mse is going on today - apart from taking a packed lunch with me when I go see the Flying Scotsman In fact, I've been so lax about taking things out of the dishwasher (things aren't very dry, so I put them to drain bit by bit, and gradually lose the will to do it ) I had to put it on again, but I'm sure it was only a half load really

Yougov, that was good - I'm over 4,000 now. And I just paid a cc. Whoop de doo. I much prefer thinking about the train
    Retired August 2016

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Apr 17, 12:22 PM
    • 2,364 Posts
    • 19,015 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Exciting! Have a great day.

Fortune x
    Moving Costs: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 64%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 18th Apr 17, 4:55 PM
    • 16,342 Posts
    • 106,972 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I saw the Flying Scotsman a few years ago, I was SO excited, it stopped at our local station to take on water and I was right next to it . Just looked though and can't find the pics .

Have a great time KC, shake an underskirt and shout 'Daddy. my daddy' as it goes past
    Save
    Mortgage Balance = 0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,337Posts Today

4,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin