Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 27,704Posts
    • 151,383Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 278
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 5,369 Thanks
    themadvix
    I'm tired just reading all of that KC - you're certainly making up for lost time...

'check house prices oop norf' - are plans afoot?!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 47,176 Posts
    • 169,465 Thanks
    beanielou
    Slow down Woman!!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    You are wearing me out just reading your lists. I do love a good list though

Any interesting properties that might tempt you?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,383 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm making up for lost time, thats what this is! And I'm not doing much else, to be honest, I'm not yet out and about, except for trips such as the one that starts tomorrow, to see my brother.

No big plans for me to move back up north either ... I'm being a bossy person and checking things out on behalf of others

The reason for the continuing big push on the house and garden is simple – I'm dealing with years of neglect when about 90% of my energy was spent on my paid work, and now I've retired, neither the house nor the garden are comfortable places to be, in the state they're in, not now that I've mostly recovered my health. But nor do I want to put off having a life outside for much longer – the friend I cancelled on today, I've rejigged that, hopefully, for 1st April – and thats that, I'm off, I'm spreading my wings after that.

Your concern, and your comments, are much appreciated, thank you all

And today's list:
    • phone dentist, make a routine appointment for end of month.
    • check the private pensions, then arrange to make the new contribution, £2.5k – it could be a bit more, but with all the probate money coming down the pike, I don't want to confuse the issue.
    • bit of scanning, then back up the computer.
    • clean and tidy! I did do quite a bit more garden work yesterday, on a quadrant (of cherry laurel rubbish) that hadn't been touched, so I feel good about that.
    • phone sister.
    • pack.
    • prepare a few blog posts.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,383 Thanks
    Karmacat
    And today's list:
    • phone dentist, make a routine appointment for end of month.
    • check the private pensions, then arrange to make the new contribution, £2.5k – it could be a bit more, but with all the probate money coming down the pike, I don't want to confuse the issue.
    • bit of scanning, then back up the computer.
    • clean and tidy! I did do quite a bit more garden work yesterday, on a quadrant (of cherry laurel rubbish) that hadn't been touched, so I feel good about that.
    • phone sister.
    • pack.
    • prepare a few blog posts.

Argh to decision paralysis! Just sayin'.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 16,847 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

Argh to decision paralysis! Just sayin'.

Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Well you can't just lob it in the bucket and not elaborate!!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,383 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I love that!

Preparing to travel today, and figuring out what pension payment I could safely make for now, and that led to looking at my current net worth, and that frightened me into metaphorically standing stock still and bleating, "what shall I do now!" over and over and every job felt like it was too big to start *then*, because of going away today, and all in all, it wasn't a good morning

I tell you what, people - I was already in my 50s when I found mse, and if I'd come across it earlier, or stumbled onto even the American early versions of their own mse-type people, life would be really different right now.

Never mind, there are still a couple of ways to make a couple of grand a year - the catsitting, and the writing and designs. And when I get back, the first thing I do will be to sell online all the stuff thats hanging around the house, whether thats furniture on a fb page or books on Amazon. Got to get going on that - and this sort of thing is why I need the annual plan, which I still haven't uploaded in detail because there are so many bits that need doing, thats where the paralysis comes from ...

And breeeeaaaaaattttttthhhhhhhheeeeeeeee ....

See you next week, lovely peeps

ETA - just finishing off the post - my Net Worth just increased by £3451 after opening a letter from a pension provider it really is worth opening the post sometimes.

Save
    Last edited by Karmacat; 09-03-2017 at 8:01 AM.
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 5,369 Thanks
    themadvix
    Great post opening KC! I don't know how you put it off - I am clearly still a big kid when it comes to post and am excited about opening it every day, even when I know it won't contain anything exciting!

Have a great weekend oop north!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 16,847 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    just finishing off the post - my Net Worth just increased by £3451 after opening a letter from a pension provider it really is worth opening the post sometimes.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    That's a result. Almost worth being a grown-up that
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 47,176 Posts
    • 169,465 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yah for opening the post
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 10th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 19,426 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I also get paralysis and must stop and write everything down. Hope u have a great break.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,383 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya

Been back dahn Sarf for a couple of days - sleeping after the journey is *so* desirable And then there was starting to get to grips with the garden again, which I did yesterday. Just as my brother promised/warned me, its started to take off, spring is definitely sprung.

The trip went well in terms of scanning photos and getting the probate done, but we'll be holding off on preparing to sell the house, for various reasons, which calms down the timeline somewhat ... one huge bonus is that we didn't have to go see the Awkward Auntie, who made so many problems during the week of the funeral, because the things we're giving her as keepsakes can hang around the house a while longer. Big relief all round on our part.

The upstairs of my house has become more and more disorganised, because of bringing inherited bits and bobs home piecemeal, so today I couldn't bear it any longer and I've done a wholesale reorganisation. Thats going well too - there isn't much stuff, but everything is everywhere.

It's Sunday, isn't it ... between retirement and the long trips, I haven't been quite sure The most important thing on a Sunday is to catch up on mse threads
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 7,653 Posts
    • 37,173 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Glad you got a rest on the way back KD and that the trip went well. Holding off on selling the house sounds sensible for now.

Good on you reorganising your own house too!

I know what you mean with the garden - all manner of things popping up in mine Can't wait for lighter nights - I'm at work all day and at the weekend DIY feels more important at the minute but once the evenings are lighter, I can pop out and do a bit of weeding to keep on top of things...

Love that you're losing track of the days
    Saved for house move: £15,116.35
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,383 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi Cheery

I'm looking at my subscribed diaries in reverse order, and yours is the last one I haven't seen, excuse me

The garden is odd to look at - it looks so much bigger, the more I cut back the hedges to somewhere near the boundary fences I've realised its not *quite* all my fault - the crowded planting is taken to a ridiculous level. Plants which are actually different forms of spreading trees were planted only about three feet from one another, all down one side of the garden, and have also been overtaken, by about eight feet, by the neighbour's box hedge (thats *completely* my fault ).

There's still plenty to do, and my brother has offered to come down and help me instal a retaining sub-wall on the other side - my soil is slowly dribbling into next door's on the other side, helped by their dogs scrabbling away at it, and there needs to be a bit of a barrier.

Exciting times
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 19th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 19,426 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I'm the opposite I feel I've so much reorgsnising to do that I can't seem to get moving! It will be easier once I start. I hope.

Can't wait to get back in the garden either..potatoes ready to go in first I think.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,383 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm very familiar with that, believe me, earthgirl - thats why I became quite well known for a while for the whole "15 minutes" thing trouble is, when that goes on for years, you're left with a wasteland. Even now - there's no way I could plant a rootcrop in my garden, between the condition of the clay soil and the roots of weeds and grass, they'd be overcome in short order.

While I'm waiting for my brother to come down here, I have A Cunning Plan - I'm going to put cardboard down at the back of the border, right next to the problematic fence, and weight it down with gro-bags. Keeps the weeds down where we'll need to dig, and gets some soil ready for when we've dug. Simples.

Unfortunately, I have Round Two of my cluster fly infestation I may go all out and buy an industrial strength fogger for the loft.

I was clearing away around an old buddleia, right by the fence. I don't know how its managed to get leaves on it this year, but it actually broke away in my hand, certainly didn't need a pruning saw, poor thing! At this rate, I'll have the space to weatherproof the fence!
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Amazing progress KC, although it sounds like there is still a lot left to keep you busy for a while!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Mar 17, 8:16 AM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,383 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Amazing progress KC, although it sounds like there is still a lot left to keep you busy for a while!
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thanks EE actually, I couldn't have put it better myself I'm really pleased at what I've done, but there's *so* much yet to do.

Amazingly Special Finance Post coming up in ten seconds - I've been working on my 2017 Plan (woke up about 4.30, dozed, then gave up and dozed in front of the tv instead). I started writing it back in February so the first ones are done (I'll mark them).

I'm off to see my business partner in the late morning - just hope I don't fall asleep on the train
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 20th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,960 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Welcome back from lands above!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    • 7,653 Posts
    • 37,173 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, excited about this amazingly special finance post :applause:

Pah to cluster flies though how vexing. Hope they buzz off soon
    Saved for house move: £15,116.35
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,059Posts Today

4,675Users online

Martin's Twitter