Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 26,544Posts
    • 140,129Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
Page 257
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,129 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi ATB hope you're good.

Retirement really does suit me, that's for sure

I'm very hopeful that the wood will be useful to someone, even the branches that are only a few inches in diameter, they'd be sort of kindling, compared to the monsters that are coming up

Sound healing workshop tomorrow cancelled, not me this time.

And I haven't done any of the financial stuff I was supposed to do today Okay, I officially appoint Wednesdays as the finance day, because Martin's newsletter comes out on a Wednesday. See, that gets me off the hook.

Oh yes. Retirement. Hurray. Yes indeedy. I've got to stop this, I do apologise ...
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Save
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 18th Oct 16, 7:49 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 16,144 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Its great, it makes me feel closer to retirement when you are doing it!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k)
    Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House
    Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014)
    Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015)
    Sept 16 - £37,429.63 (£30,422 offset so far in 2016)
    Kids savings 11.8/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,129 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks earthgirl, appreciated I don't want to gloat

Definitely a finance day today - transfer money, pay cc, I've just printed a coupon for some free Pringles from Martin's newsletter and I'll figure out if there's anything else I can do that way. Otherwise, I need to create some space in the chaos that is my kitchen get the new lampshade up and operating, get the curtain lining to actually line the curtains and put the curtains up in the Cosy Corner I need the space, supermarket delivery this afternoon
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 19th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 18,962 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    We don't mind you gloating KC - makes me happy.

Also makes me determined to put things in place so I can change my life too.

Having a day for finance is good - still a little structure - but not enough to restrict you...

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 19th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    We don't mind you gloating KC - makes me happy.
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    I totally agree. Gloat away to your heart's content, KC. After all you've been through it boosts our spirits to hear that life is so good for you just now

Sounds as of I'm always moaning when I come on here. Sorry.
    Has anyone else been having constant phone calls supposedly from BT over problems with their router/network/connection? The reason for their call varies from call to call as do the caller's location Sometimes it is from India (or at least I assume so as the caller's accent is very hard for me to understand and it shows up on my caller display as International). I answer these calls because I have elderly relatives in various countries who call me. Some of the calls are from UK numbers, always different ones, so I've answered them before knowing who they are from. The callers always have an Indian accent though.

I had to contact BT about router/connection problems a few weeks ago but I made sure to use the official phone number from the official BT website. The problem was dealt with quickly and efficiently and details were there in my official BT account page with the 'ticket' number and everything. Then, a couple of weeks later these strange phone calls started.

I've been on the same official BT site since these latest calls started and it looks as if lots of posters on the forum are having the same problems. It has been suggested by some of them that people's contact details etc have been leaked somehow by real BT operatives as they have seemed to start fairly soon after genuine BT contact and help. They have made complaints to BT but have been told it's just a coincidence that they are receiving calls about router/connection problems when they have recently had official dealings with BT over problem. I'm not a conspiratory theorist normally but it's easy to smell something fishy here.

Has anyone else had similar problems with BT? I'm finding it very disconcerting to be honest. Phishing emails are one thing but when anyone dodgy 'intrudes' into my home by phone I feel distinctly threatened.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 19-10-2016 at 1:48 PM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2016: Jan-Nov:£2787.65: Dec:£61.27
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £620.00/£3000

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid (on DMP): £29917. Balance: £26887
    Over halfway
    • Darpett
    • By Darpett 19th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Darpett
    I haven't been with BT for years but started getting these calls recently as well. As did some of my work colleagues who aren't with BT either so it possibly is just a large database they have got hold of?

As a non BT user I wouldn't look on a BT forum or link it with BT and I guess other non-BT users would be the same which is possibly why there is an impression this only a BT customer issue to those on the forum?

It's a pain but it will probably stop soon. I remember a spate of similar calls claiming to be from Microsoft support some time back doing the same thing. Hope they stop bugging you soon.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 19th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I haven't been with BT for years but started getting these calls recently as well. As did some of my work colleagues who aren't with BT either so it possibly is just a large database they have got hold of?

As a non BT user I wouldn't look on a BT forum or link it with BT and I guess other non-BT users would be the same which is possibly why there is an impression this only a BT customer issue to those on the forum?

It's a pain but it will probably stop soon. I remember a spate of similar calls claiming to be from Microsoft support some time back doing the same thing. Hope they stop bugging you soon.
    Originally posted by Darpett
    Thanks, Darpett

I'm sorry you are getting them too but glad it isn't just me IYKWIM

I was worried that my genuine contact and problem solving by BT had suddenly resulted in these dodgy calls from someone I suspect is definitely NOT from BT. Paranoid? Moi?

Yes, I used to get the Microsoft ones too occasionally but nothing like as often as these 'BT' ones. They are calling about 6 times every single day/evening.

Over halfway
    • Darpett
    • By Darpett 19th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Darpett
    I am also getting them at the weekend as well. I have just stuck the 'phone on answer machine, they started a couple of months ago for me and are tailing off now. To be fair not many people call me on my landline now and most of them have numbers I recognise so when I see the withheld or international status I just ignore it. I am also on TPS so knew when I started getting the calls they were just chancing their luck.

Very frustrating though that these companies can operate abroad without being shut down more quickly. Fingers crossed they get sorted out soon!!
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 19th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 23,493 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    can't help with the BT ones - but if you get the "microsoft" ones - let them ramble on for a min or so and then say (in a suitably confused manner), "but I run Linux"!!
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 19th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,094 Thanks
    ZTD
    I was worried that my genuine contact and problem solving by BT had suddenly resulted in these dodgy calls from someone I suspect is definitely NOT from BT. Paranoid? Moi?
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Not at all, this is a known problem. The banks got caught a few years ago. It's one of the reasons why they started advertising "now with UK call centre!"

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/call-centres-selling-private-data-of-uk-customers/article3009811.ece

Yes, I used to get the Microsoft ones too occasionally
    My mother (who claims not to be IT literate) got one of those. She listened for a short while, then said "This is a scam isn't it?"

I was so proud.

can't help with the BT ones - but if you get the "microsoft" ones - let them ramble on for a min or so and then say (in a suitably confused manner), "but I run Linux"!!
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Or OS/400 or CP/M...

Or something suitably awful...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,129 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you MCI and CBC - but oh my word, the scams sound bad I was a bit freaked when I had a "wardialling" text pretending to be from netflix, Z explained about it and set my mind at rest. But when you've got to get to the phone, thats a pain

I ran about multitasking all morning yesterday - felt quite tired by the afternoon and didn't do much at all. At least the new lampshade is washed and dried and up there and the shopping is cleared and away.

I'm just understanding something about budgets which is that I need to keep them in mind when I'm *purchasing*, not just when I'm working out the list afterwards It sounds ridiculous, I know, after being on here all this time!
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 20th Oct 16, 9:53 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Not at all, this is a known problem. The banks got caught a few years ago. It's one of the reasons why they started advertising "now with UK call centre!"

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/call-centres-selling-private-data-of-uk-customers/article3009811.ece

Originally posted by ZTD
    Thanks so much for The Hindu link, Z. What an eye-opener

It's reasonably easy to ignore the calls when they are actually from India as the caller shows as International on the caller display. I have relatives abroad who I worry about and don't want to ignore them if they are trying to contact me so I answer International calls but hang up without speaking if the caller isn't anyone I know.

A lot of these 'BT' calls are coming from UK numbers which show up in full on the caller display, not just withheld or unavailable. I can understand that they are selling databases (probably to crooks all over the world) but how come a lot of the callers are UK based yet still Indian? The callers always have an Indian accent so I hang up as soon as poss. Yesterday I merely said to the guy (with a Manchester dialling code) who announced he was from BT that it was a scam and he got very upset and said he could prove that it wasn't. I didn't give him the opportunity to try but sometimes wonder if I'm missing a genuine contact call.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 20-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Over halfway
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,129 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A lot of these 'BT' calls are coming from UK numbers which show up in full on the caller display, not just withheld or unavailable. I can understand that they are selling databases (probably to crooks all over the world) but how come a lot of the callers are UK based yet still Indian?
    Maybe they're re-routed, using cheap numbers like Martin writes about?

Yesterday I merely said to the guy (with a Manchester dialling code) who announced he was from BT that it was a scam and he got very upset and said he could prove that it wasn't. I didn't give him the opportunity to try but sometimes wonder if I'm missing a genuine contact call.
    Hmmm. I've not had anyone say that to me, but I *might* ask them "how can you prove that, quickly" - and put the phone down on them if they just go into a spiel. Or, if they *are* real, ask why they're calling, is it to sell something or is it a problem with your account? If its a problem with the account, then he should be able to send you a message via your account?

It sounds horrible!

Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 20th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Maybe they're re-routed, using cheap numbers like Martin writes about?

Hmmm. I've not had anyone say that to me, but I *might* ask them "how can you prove that, quickly" - and put the phone down on them if they just go into a spiel. Or, if they *are* real, ask why they're calling, is it to sell something or is it a problem with your account? If its a problem with the account, then he should be able to send you a message via your account?

It sounds horrible!

Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks, KC. I haven't seen what Martin said about re-routing using cheap numbers. I'll look for it. Would certainly seem to be the answer to my query wouldn't it?

I check my online BT account regularly and there is every opportunity for the genuine BT to contact me via the secure messaging within it or send me an email. As I haven't received anything I assume these phone calls must be scams.

Over halfway
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,129 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks, KC. I haven't seen what Martin said about re-routing using cheap numbers. I'll look for it. Would certainly seem to be the answer to my query wouldn't it?
    He just talks about re-routing your *own* calls, sorry - before I got the online doodads for my French apartment up and running, I was having to call regularly, and I used a number I got from the main site article to reduce the cost to half a pence per minute!

I check my online BT account regularly and there is every opportunity for the genuine BT to contact me via the secure messaging within it or send me an email. As I haven't received anything I assume these phone calls must be scams.
    I agree - scams or sales calls. HSBC made a sales call to me once, and left an answerphone message asking me to return the call. I did, with my heart in my mouth, to the number on my bank statement. Then I was told it was a "courtesy call", and I absolutely hit the roof - I was furious at worrying for nothing, and for *paying* for them to make such a call to me. Not courtesy at all on their part! I think I was very polite in the circumstances
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 20th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 11,633 Thanks
    Verbatim
    I've had people saying that the fact that they were calling from a geographical number was proof that there was no scam! To be fair that particular guy had a native uk accent whereas mostly it's peeps with very strong Indian accents.
    Had a lot of calls to my mobile from Manchester and Birmingham lately but haven't heard/answered any.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 20th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Tropically
    When I get those sorts of calls, I ignore them and sing the Jamaican dancehall song to myself "Who's calling me from an unknown number? We nah answer no unknown number. Who's calling me from a private call? Gangsta don't answer no private call."
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 20th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 17,593 Thanks
    Watty1
    When I get those sorts of calls, I ignore them and sing the Jamaican dancehall song to myself "Who's calling me from an unknown number? We nah answer no unknown number. Who's calling me from a private call? Gangsta don't answer no private call."
    Originally posted by Tropically
    I love this If only you sung it to them
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £68801
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 20th Oct 16, 3:26 PM
    • 10,093 Posts
    • 52,650 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I've always been a fan of not answering my phone to any number I don't recognise. If they really need to talk to me, they will leave a message
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 20th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I've always been a fan of not answering my phone to any number I don't recognise. If they really need to talk to me, they will leave a message
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Sounds like a good idea but we get a lot of legitimate calls from all over the country. A lot of them are first-time callers and I don't know all their numbers.

I might try leaving all calls from unrecognised numbers to go straight to answerphone. I can act on the wanted ones almost immediately afterwards. The only drawback to that is that I'll be paying for the call then and not the caller

Apologies to KC for starting this subject which has been monopolising the thread so much

Over halfway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,483Posts Today

6,032Users online

Martin's Twitter