Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 26,544Posts
    • 140,138Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
Page 253
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 32,848 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Wow, sounds like you're making great progress! slightly less "wow" about waking at 4.30 though. Hope you manage to squeeze in a nap later.

Thought of you this morning, I think you once said something about it being the last 5% of a job that was the hardest to get round to (or something, that's what stuck in my head but you may have said something else!) I've been putting off the last of the bedroom painting cos it involves going up a ladder but today is the day! I WILL finish it! (although it will need two coats and I can't do the next til Sunday but even so...)

Have a restful day!
    Saved for house move: £8570
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Exactly that, Cheery, yes! And its still true

Been doing a bit more writing up of phone notes for various articles, and I've swept most of the bits in the living room now - ug, is all I can say and Phew! My allergies thank me

I'll be doing more bits later - need to go out for a walk now, in the fresh (non dusty!) air
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Save
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Needed to rest yesterday, after all that cleaning and walking still doing little things, though not huge amounts.

Spending diary on here doesn't work, though, I need better access than that, so I'll do an Excel document that I don't need to go online for. Thinking of which, purchases today must include a bottle of red wine - there's a new style Games Evening tomorrow! Going to be weird without my friend that died earlier this year, but her daughter will be there for part of it, and that will be weirder still.

For me, though, its a pootling about day, on little projects as I fancy them - lots of things, both practical and digital, are in the middle of the 95% that Cheery mentioned at the top of this page it's going to be a very pick and mix day

Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 8th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 10,093 Posts
    • 52,651 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I use a spending diary to help set a dynamic budget (because rigid budgets don't work for a family)!

I have a tab for each month with the budget categories and a data page where I record the date, category and amount of each spend.

There's then a table on the data page that shows the monthly budget categories and provides an annualised average by combining a lookup (say "lookup 'groceries'"), summing all the results and then dividing by the total number of days in the data set (max date - min date) and multiplying by 30.4167 (to show an average monthly cost). This result then gets fed back into the relevant category on each of the monthly tabs.

Ah, nerd.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,094 Thanks
    ZTD
    Ah, nerd.
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    I think the multiplying it by 30.4167 gave that away...

Though it should be 30.4375, as you're not taking into account leap years...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 8th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    rtandon27

I'm loving that the "nerd" conversation is happening on KC's thread!

Should have realized that I wasn't the only one who had an all-singing-dancing spreadsheet!

Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 8th Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 2,494 Posts
    • 17,603 Thanks
    Watty1
    I am in awe of Eds spreadsheet. There was a nano second where I wondered about asking for a blank copy to fill in for the Watty household
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £68801
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 8th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 10,093 Posts
    • 52,651 Thanks
    edinburgher

Originally posted by ZTD
    Awesome, an incremental improvement
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Brilliant conversation

Though I confess the detailed para on spreadsheets brought about a sudden brain fog I'd love to be that sort of nerd, I really would, though I'm a nerd in other ways, I don't do that ... I'll have to break it down much more simply:
    - council tax and other bills - web, fuel, water, insurance
    - food and cleaning goods
    - everyday spending money (local train travel, meeting subscriptions, birthday cards etc).
    - irregulars - travel to Merseyside, Xmas and birthdays, house maintenance if I can keep it low.

That description definitely qualifies as pootling, compared to the beauty of those spreadsheets

French mortgage payments will be extra - only two years left to go!
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 32,848 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear, I peeked in earlier and got scared by all this spreadsheet talk I do love a nice spreadsheet but I'm not very good at the *numbers* side of things I use them a lot in work for keeping track of things, mostly because I can turn the lines pretty colours

Good to keep track though and I do love reading how people are keeping track And have you really only got two years left on the French mortgage??
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh dear, I peeked in earlier and got scared by all this spreadsheet talk I do love a nice spreadsheet but I'm not very good at the *numbers* side of things I use them a lot in work for keeping track of things, mostly because I can turn the lines pretty colours
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    You have very pretty posts on here, Cheery and you do YNAB - you're doing great! I've transferred the spending diary posts on here to a spreadsheet, a very simple spreadsheet so I'll see how that goes. Analysing fortnightly, maybe?

Good to keep track though and I do love reading how people are keeping track
    Me too ... having more coming in would help, of course but there you go.

And have you really only got two years left on the French mortgage??
    Weird, isn't it! Once the mortgage is paid off, E657 a month, at least it will be more or less self financing until I can sell it (accountant, tax, maintenance, all that stuff should be covered by the little rental income).

Cheery, I loved your aquarium visit on your thread - I remember doing one of those when my youngest nephew was about 8, we had a great time. They are expensive, though

I wish I could say the sale will happen in "X" year, but property aimed at foreigners in France is in trouble, there's no doubt of it - and my sister's sale has just fallen through too

Today - I definitely need a nap today, difficult overnight again with the radio going next door. I think it will be worth using savings to get sound insulation on the party wall, there's no point just letting this continue, and I can be honest when it comes to selling the thing.

Otherwise - I've been transferring notes from my phone to the right bit of the computer folders, client notes, books, to-do lists, all sorts. So I need to make sure I get some time outside today, which will have to be weeding in the morning, I think, then the nap, then ... the Games Evening, leaving the house at 7pm, weird for me

Have a good day all
    Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 16,052 Posts
    • 105,250 Thanks
    gallygirl

Originally posted by ZTD
    Surely the latter should only actually be applied in leap years? In which case it's probably wrong, not that I can work it out .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 52,345 Thanks
    greent
    Extremely, wonderfully, overwhelmingly good news on the health front: whereas I only expected to regain my health by, say, next spring, I'm already 90% of the way there I'm still likely to be the one that tires first, but I haven't had to hold back from anything anyone else has done

So I can already say that retiring was the best decision I've made in a long, long time
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Just caught up on all the past fortnight's posts - and the above is the best post ever
    x
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £778.60/£500
    Dec grocery spends £0/ £480 NSDs 4/12
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,094 Thanks
    ZTD
    Surely the latter should only actually be applied in leap years? In which case it's probably wrong, not that I can work it out .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    Well 30.4167 should be applied in normal years, 30.5 in leap years, or you can use 30.4375 which will average out over the 4 yearly cycle. I've not taken into account the "once in 400 years it's not a leap year" as the last one happened in 2000, so the next is not due until the year 2400 at which time I will be far too rich to bother.

Or dead. That was the other possibility...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Just caught up on all the past fortnight's posts - and the above is the best post ever
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    Aw, thank you greent it's really been an eye opener.

I've been doing more transferring of phone notes to the right computer documents - it's actually a couple of years worth when I felt too ill to be sitting up at the desk but wanted to make a note of something. At least I had my phone to do it, and its a simple matter to transfer. It gives my writing career a great leg up too, which is why I'm doing it - lots of things going on .

A cloudless sky is also going on so I'm heading off for a bit of a snack and then ta da, off into the garden

Z ... words fail me but I can confirm that thanks to the beauty of compound interest, I will indeed be too rich to bother with spreadsheets in the year 2400
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 10,093 Posts
    • 52,651 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    It's all about the averages, 30.4375 works for me

Car maintenance went up 2p/mth!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 32,848 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh ed, you'd best make sure you set that extra 2p aside immediately!

Glad you're having a good day KC lovely to hear about yor retirement activities I confess I have NO intention of being around until 2400
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Gosh ed, you'd best make sure you set that extra 2p aside immediately!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    I love Ed's overpayments, I bet he did exactly that

Glad you're having a good day KC lovely to hear about yor retirement activities I confess I have NO intention of being around until 2400
    Yep, tis going well and if I can keep on being rejuvenated in a science-fictiony way, cloned bodyparts grown in a lab etc I have no objection to being around till 2400

Yesterday evening went well too, thankfully - tho I can't remember the last time I had a glass of wine, so even one big glass has done for me a bit still, it was lovely to meet the daughter of the house again, and when she'd left to go home, to talk with our bereaved friend about his situation, the past and the future both. No board games were played too much yakking going on

Today ... I have a list. I absolutely need to check the banking, and there are several other things I need to do too. How many of them will get done, when the sky is so blue? I don't know I'll find out soon

Save
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,094 Thanks
    ZTD
    Yep, tis going well and if I can keep on being rejuvenated in a science-fictiony way, cloned bodyparts grown in a lab etc I have no objection to being around till 2400
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Provided they are your own body parts...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Indeed, Z, I think that's a prerequisite bad Frankenstein offshoots come to mind

To-do list not bad at all:
    - checked finances, current account low but good enough for now.
    - washing machine on twice, plus d/washer.
    - backed up the computer, after all those notes transferred onto it.
    - walkies at lunchtime, yay, past the village pond with a plastic crocodile head sunning itself
    - 3 phone calls - all social, oh my, what a life
    - an hour in the garden too, pruning the dratted ivy, doused myself in crap from the leaves, ivy really doesn't seem a nice plant to have around. Its not rooted in my garden, it just invades it, however, so not my decision.
    Retired August 2016

Save
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,403Posts Today

5,738Users online

Martin's Twitter