Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,623Posts
    • 51,033Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 727
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,599 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Slow all round, SukeyBoo! The only other time the thread's usually this quiet is Christmas. I hope everyone's having a lovely time.

12/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 51,033 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Afternoon

Sorry I haven't been around. I have been doing really rubbish tbh but hoping to course correct tonight.

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 12-06-2017 at 2:11 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 12th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 51,033 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : June 2017
    June2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 30 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers
    6/TF
    Barny1979
    10/25

CathyBird 2/21

CuppaTea 5/17

Eltee 7 /20

ElusiveLucy
    3/16

GreenKaren /5
    Honey Bear 12/30

Macpep1 4/14

MaggieM /8
    Maman 4/3

Poor Single Lady 5/24

Pricey
    3/22

Shaggy 1/21

SukeyBoo
    4/12

WBF 1/TF

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 16,985 Posts
    • 101,591 Thanks
    maman
    I expect it's the holiday season making the thread slow. I'm off tomorrow morning and won't be back until 4th July.

Last AFD for a while but I will be sensible. Don't want any hangovers spoiling my fun or dangerously falling asleep on sun loungers.

5 AFDs please Shaggy.

That makes 22 AFDs across May and June so I'm happy.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 12th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 5,787 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    6/17 pls. I've got some ground to make up this week.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 12th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3,813 Posts
    • 43,597 Thanks
    Barny1979
    11/25 AFDs today
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 12th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    cathybird
    hey all, so sorry to be out of circulation, I have been working on a freelance project on top of my normal job for the past couple of weeks that has been very demanding, 8am through to 2am on my days off (!), basically every hour God sends, and I had to disappear down an Alice in Wonderland-style rabbit hole to get it done, and just focus on it and nothing else - there was a deadline and it was a big, complicated project for the time I had to do it in. Anyway it's pretty much finished now, not quite, but to say I am mentally knackered is an understatement. But the good news is I haven't drunk a drop or even thought about it, which in itself is a victory and am now up to 11/21, hope everyone else has been going well, I will go through the thread when I get a mo (whenever that will be!)
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,183.81/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Nov AFDs: 19/21 2017 AFDs: 271/252
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 13th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 2,136 Thanks
    Green Karen
    Stuck on 1/5 AF days at the moment and even that one day was tricky.
    Got to deal with an important issue today. My mum suddenly couldn't walk at all on Sunday and was admitted to hospital. My sister had to break into her house then get an ambulance. But my sister says they are planning to send her home today. She still can't walk, can hardly breathe, has no commode (but we couldn't get her on it even if she did, she is about 10 stones overweight as well). My sister has a business to run and 12 year old son and I live 3/4 hour away. My sister spoke tot he sister on the ward yesterday but it fell on deaf ears.
    Apart from me suddenly becoming her full time carer for the rest of her life I don't see what the solution is. And even then I still can't toilet her alone. There just doesn't seem to be any support.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 13th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 5,857 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Declaring early on 5/12 for today please Shaggy - sorry to hear you are not doing so well with the AFD's at the moment.

Have a great holiday Maman - 'see' you in July

That is awful about your Mum Green Karen - I do hope you manage to get something sorted for her and she is feeling better soon.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 13th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 12/21 for me today and unless my sums are wonky I'm half way through my goal for the year.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 13th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    cathybird
    Green Karen, also hoping your mum will be okay and that you manage to get something sorted out - sounds like an incredibly difficult, tough situation x
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,599 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I have been doing really rubbish tbh but hoping to course correct tonight.
    Originally posted by shaggydoo
    That's most unlike you, Shaggy. I hope things are back on an even keel really soon.

Have a lovely holiday, Maman.

I hope the freelance project ends satisfactorily CathyBird and you have a lovely rest. 11/21 is a satisfying number by the 13th of the month.

Green Karen I don't know what to say, I really don't, but you've posted about your mother's situation, so I'll see if I can come up with some sugggestions.

Becoming someone's full time carer is not something that can be decided in an instant in the middle of a crisis. I totally understand why your mother needs support now to tide her over, but please don't allow yourself to be forced into a situation over which you seem to have no control.

Your mother is ENTITLED to care, but it's easy enough for people to fall between the health service and social services (provided by councils) if people don't chase it up. I'm frantically trying to remember how we found out what support my parents could have (terminal cancer, Parkinson's, so both of them needed a lot of support) and I think the GP's surgery co-ordinated the care package.

The hospital will have issued a discharge letter to the GP surgery, so they will be aware that she needs suppport. It sounds as though you will need to follow it up. Try the Citizen's Advice Bureau and start thinking about writing to you MP, whoever they are, whichever party they are. Ultimately whatever your mother needs will come down to money, and if people don't make their MP aware of how broken the system is, nothing will ever change.

If you are going to become a full time carer, please find your local carer's support group. I'd have gone completely mad without them.

When I was a full time carer my parents claimed Attendance Allowance and I think I was entitled to claim some kind of benefit, which may only have been having my national insurance paid, but that meant that those years counted towards my pension. You need to talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau to find out what you can claim and how to do so. They can help fill in the forms because what you say and how you say it affects the claim. My father had an Occupational Therapist and she was an absolute godsend - she understood the ramifications of all of the questions and told me how to phrase the answers. We neither exaggerated nor understated any of the answers but I didn't know how to answer some questions without some guidance.

The rules may will have changed, but back in 2000 when we phoned up to ask for the forms for Attendance Allowance, we had a few weeks to fill them in and once we did, the payment was BACKDATED to date we phoned to ask for the forms. Very important you make that call asap.

Good luck with it and I suggest you have a read on the benefit boards about how to go about this. It's complicated as you may have realised but you can break it down into manageable chunks with a bit of help.

13/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 13th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3,813 Posts
    • 43,597 Thanks
    Barny1979
    12/25 AFDs today
    • fakeplastictwee
    • By fakeplastictwee 13th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 4,510 Thanks
    fakeplastictwee
    Hello! Well I went away to think about my target and never came back, oops! I will go back and read through the thread in a minute, hope everybody is doing OK.

I never did manage to decide on a target, and I haven't been TOTALLY on top of counting this months AFDs so far but I do know that I have done at least 7. So I will go for declaring 7/TF for tonight please.

I'm heading to Glastonbury festival a week today, so realistically only that week to continue adding up the AFDs, so will stay target free this month I think.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 13th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 5,787 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    7/17 please shaggy.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 13th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 4,162 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    7/25 please

Sorry to read about your Mum GreenKaren. HB does talk a lot of sense, I hope you can put things in place for her but obviously is not easy.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 14th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    7 AFd please Shaggy.
    Lost the plot this last week now off on holiday.
    Hugs and love for those that need it.
    Arkers x

• shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 14th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 51,033 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    That's most unlike you, Shaggy. I hope things are back on an even keel really soon.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Thanks! I notched up 2 for Monday and Tuesday and there is still a lot of month left to repair the damage.

I'll be back to add AFDs when the page flips over.

Shaggyx
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,599 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) Green Karen. If you need to vent you can PM me at any time. From what I can remember of the first few weeks, they were pretty full-on. I ended up on Prozac after a month, which is why I'm so concerned. And it's also when my drinking went out of control.

Buy a plastic undersheet for your mother's bed. I found them on Ebay.

14/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,599 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Morning Shaggy! You're sounding much more like your normal self. Good on you.
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,143Posts Today

9,159Users online

Martin's Twitter