Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,509Posts
    • 50,325Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 726
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 44,294 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    7/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 7th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 5,323 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    3/12 for today please Shaggy
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 16,247 Posts
    • 96,993 Thanks
    maman
    3/24

Feels harder this month but I am quite determined. All the drinking is at the beginning of the month and then it should calm down. Hopefully.
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady

Go for it PSL!! That's what happened to me in May. I had so many occasions to drink at the beginning of the month, I was quite despondent but ended up with one of my best ever scores (7 above target).

I won't be drinking today.

4 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • macpep1
    • By macpep1 7th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 26,854 Thanks
    macpep1
    Hi All

I keep forgetting to post daily! I did have alcohol Friday/Sat/Sun however I am calling it in early today so 4/14 AF's please Shaggy, last week I managed a full 3 days in a row without alcohol, I feel better this week & not so nervous about not having it as a crutch so I hope I can make it 4 this week. (Actually I have to take DD to the school at 2am on Friday as she is going to Spain & hubby is away so I will get 4 done) . I have not been sleeping great, some nights its almost 3am before I fall asleep, I have been drinking green tea at night & discovered today their is caffeine in it so will need to stick to my peppermint tea.
    Last edited by macpep1; 07-06-2017 at 2:31 PM.
    Gratitude is the best Attitude
    Long Term Flylady
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 7th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 3,298 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thank you Maman

I had the tiniest glass of wine today so can't add today in but moderation is progress.
    Should be AF tommorow. No evening plans bar voting and will take lunch into work so on paper it is AF.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 7th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,387 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    1 more for me please shaggy
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 7th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 42,608 Thanks
    Barny1979
    6/25 AFDs today
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 44,294 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Go for it PSL!! That's what happened to me in May. I had so many occasions to drink at the beginning of the month, I was quite despondent but ended up with one of my best ever scores (7 above target)..
    Originally posted by maman
    Way to go, Maman!

I keep forgetting to post daily!
    .... I have been drinking green tea at night & discovered today their is caffeine in it so will need to stick to my peppermint tea.
    Originally posted by macpep1
    At the moment I'm forgetting to post daily but I think that's a good thing - we're not obsessing about drinking or not drinking. Tea is surprisingly caffeine rich, so well done for twigging what was keeping you awake.

I think I have finally worked out the final thing that's been causing my hideous lethargy - St John's Wort. I take a hefty dose of it for various reasons and it's a long term thing but for one reason or another I didn't think it was part of the problem. There's no doubt that the Low GI breakfast and (most days) lunch that I eat have improved the situation but it was still a problem. Recently I came across the suggestion that taking it in the evening rather than the morning might make a difference and I'm amazed! I'll never be full of energy or have any kind of stamina, but honestly, I feel like a new woman. Amazing.

It's taken me three years to figure that out, but I got there in the end.

8/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 8th Jun 17, 12:06 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 4,535 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    6 AFD please Shaggy.
    Arkers x

• ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 8th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    3/16 for last night for me please. So far so good, although last night was a mental struggle, I really fancied a drink but decided it wasn't worth losing and AFD or one drink.....not sure if that is the right mindset, but it worked!
    MF 03Sep2016
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 8th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,387 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    3/16 for last night for me please. So far so good, although last night was a mental struggle, I really fancied a drink but decided it wasn't worth losing and AFD or one drink.....not sure if that is the right mindset, but it worked!
    Originally posted by ElusiveLucy
    Well done Lucy, I suffer from this mindset too. Its helpful but equally unhelpful too!

I'm tempted to call in early, but last time I did that it went belly up. But will try again.

5/17 for me please (I think!)
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 8th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 42,608 Thanks
    Barny1979
    7/25 AFDs today:-)
    • Eltee12
    • By Eltee12 9th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,391 Thanks
    Eltee12
    Afternoon All

7/20 please

Thanks

El
    PAYDBX 2017 #45 £768/£1,968 = 39.02% paid;
    2017 AFD 123/200: Jan - June = 123
    CCC #11 £143.89/£300 - no spend months: JAN-APRIL
    Mortgage-free since 2013
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 44,294 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I'm almost tempted to have 'just one' to celebrate today, but I think I'll practice a little self-discipline and just do a jig. Maybe a big jig. Or a jiggle.

9/30
    please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 9th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 42,608 Thanks
    Barny1979
    8/25 AFDs today
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 3,298 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    5/24 for me please

It's been a long week. Yesterday went out for just 2 drinks after work- ordinarily would be a bottle or more so feel like this is great progress and also (sorry to be smug) No hangover today.

The weekend and next week are much quieter so looking forward to being a bit healthier and wealthier.
    I am happier when my life has no fear or worry about what I have done but don't remember. This is the primary aim. I really hate that feeling of people telling you that you said and did bad things but your memory is blank.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 10th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 42,608 Thanks
    Barny1979
    9/25 AFDs today
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 44,294 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    It's been a long week. Yesterday went out for just 2 drinks after work- ordinarily would be a bottle or more so feel like this is great progress and also (sorry to be smug) No hangover today.

The weekend and next week are much quieter so looking forward to being a bit healthier and wealthier.
    I am happier when my life has no fear or worry about what I have done but don't remember. This is the primary aim. I really hate that feeling of people telling you that you said and did bad things but your memory is blank.
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    PSL you don't sound smug at all. If anything you sound relieved and pleased. We should be able to share our victories on here - it gives anyone struggling hope that it's possible to turn the juggernaut around.

I used to have a fair few 'lost' nights when I could remember most of them, particularly the early part but not later. Apparently it's a bit of a marker, so well done on identifying it as a very specific focus for your efforts.

11/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 11th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 42,608 Thanks
    Barny1979
    10/25 AFDs today
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 12th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 5,323 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Bit of a slow start this month but hoping to catch up a bit this week

4/12 for today please Shaggy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin