Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,506Posts
    • 50,306Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 702
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 20th Apr 17, 1:18 PM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 50,306 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    2017 Annual Challenge (Jan Feb & Mar combined totals)
    2017 Targets
    = 50 Days AF

= 100 days AF

= 150 days AF

= 200 days AF

= 250 days AF

= 300 days AF

= 350 days AF

= 365 days AF

= target achieved

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers
    64/TF
    Barny1979
    69/275
    CathyBird 64/252

CuppaTea 50 /200
    DebJay 75/TF
    DizzyImp 52 /TF
    Eltee 62/200
    ElusiveLucy
    57/TF
    FakePlasticTwee 64/TF

GreenKaren
    62/120
    Honey Bear
    90/365

LoveASale 40/TF

MaggieM
    40/185

Maman 40/TF

PollyAnna 34/TF
    Poor Single Lady 65/TF
    Pricey 63 /250
    ScatterBrain
    76/TF
    Shaggy 50/260

SukeyBoo
    41/150

WBF 28/150

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Apr 17, 2:48 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,938 Thanks
    maman

9 days straight here - I'm feeling great!
    Originally posted by shaggydoo

That's brilliant shaggy. More than can be said for my Easter.

Anyhow back on the wagon now and counting last night and tonight I'm claiming my first smiley.

7 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 20th Apr 17, 6:44 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 5,383 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    11/18 for me please
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 20th Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 42,600 Thanks
    Barny1979
    16 for yesterday and 17 for today
    • scatterbrain109
    • By scatterbrain109 20th Apr 17, 10:19 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    scatterbrain109
    Evening everyone
    We'll done on you 9 day run Shaggydoo, I found week 2 quite straightforward, pink cloud even.
    I'm now on day 18 and week 3 is much more difficult, like trying to haul myself through mud - that just reminded me of "going on a bear hunt"
    "We can't go over it we can't go under it, we can't go round it, we've got to go through it"

Hiya HB, I've finally got round to starting the AF 100 challenge courtesy of Soberistas.

Have a good what's left of Thursday.

Jo x
    Sealed pot challenge number 10 - #057
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 21st Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 2,590 Posts
    • 8,555 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 15/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £8,571.97/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    July AFDs: 23/21 2017 AFDs: 164/252
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 21st Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    Now up to a grand total of 7/14 having not managed to get any AF days over Easter and then drinking on a school night last night.....not good...need a kick up the backside, but am away with work and on holiday for most o May so it isn't going to happen next month!
    MF 03Sep2016
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 21st Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 4,535 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    1 more for last night please Shaggy.Arkers x
    • loveasale
    • By loveasale 21st Apr 17, 10:19 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,806 Thanks
    loveasale
    Hello everyone ,, so sorry not been about, I've had so much going on, long story, and the result is I've hit the bottle ,
    I'm just catching up on what I've missed , so will fill you all in when I can,
    At the moment I'm stuck in that ,, low , so grab the wine, feel lower , so grab the wine cycle (
    3/14
    I will never be rich but I'm happy
    • PriceySOS
    • By PriceySOS 21st Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 4,468 Thanks
    PriceySOS
    8 please, Shaggy, ta Finally managing to stay back on the wagon for a few days! Going on holiday and then Easter really knocked me off it, but the more AFD's I manage to accumulate, the easier it is getting. It is great to read everybody's posts on here, really helpful, thanks!
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 21st Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 4,376 Posts
    • 44,267 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Holidays do seem to bu**er up the intention to keep drinking under control, don't they? I'd honestly never realised that before I joined this thread.

21/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • jp1964
    • By jp1964 21st Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    jp1964
    Afternoon all,

Following my first post on the 17th, I didn't manage to stay AF that day, but did the following day, then the night of the 19th it all went pear shaped again and I was rewarded with sickness and upset stomach yesterday morning, big wake up call!

Last night was AF again and intending to have an AF weekend and week next week hopefully a kick start and time for me to see how much better I will feel without alcohol for a couple of weeks, my aim for May will be the whole of the month without alcohol, so, drum roll, my aim for the rest of April and May will be 42 AF days starting last night!

So 1/42 so far

I will do this!
    Making time for me now. Out with old habits and ideas, and open to change......
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 21st Apr 17, 5:16 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 5,383 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Big hugs loveasale

12/18 for today please
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 21st Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 5,383 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Big hugs to you too JP. I felt like you on the 2nd January this year. I was completely sober for NYE and lost the plot and rewarded my absteinence with a hangover a day later.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 21st Apr 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 42,600 Thanks
    Barny1979
    18/23 AFDs today
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 21st Apr 17, 7:15 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    15/23 for me

Meeting friends tommorow then back AF Sunday.
    Then have dinner out with work people and would very much like to stay AF Monday.
    It always feels like when you have too much on already your dearest friends ask you for glass of wine. So doing that Tuesday But it will set things up nicely for dry May. I will say this is last time for a while, if we need to have glass of wine mine will be Diet Coke.
    Then wed, thur, fri AF.
    Saturday tbc - potential pub visit. Not sure.
    Sunday AF
    This means most likely missing target But committing to all of May AF.
    Well done everyone doing so well and chin up to everyone else and best wishes for the journey.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Freysmum
    • By Freysmum 21st Apr 17, 9:25 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Freysmum
    I've not posted on here for weeks my bad I'm 18/26 so far this month
    Mortgage 07/2017 £38,380
    2017 MFW #81 £6,000/£8,100
    EF £14,000/£20,000
    • scatterbrain109
    • By scatterbrain109 21st Apr 17, 10:55 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    scatterbrain109
    Evening everyone,
    It is difficult, especially at the beginning JP1964, the important thing is not to beat yourself up if you do slip, like the rest of us you're only human.
    Holidays, particularly long bank holiday weekends can be a struggle. The weather was so bad I barely left the house.
    The other thing is that I don't go to the shop after early evening, particularly when the WW is due.
    If I need anything I send teetotal OH ☺

19/28 please Shaggydoo, I can't do the colouring in cos the kids are hogging the laptop and I haven't got a clue how to do it on the Samsung.

Jo x
    Sealed pot challenge number 10 - #057
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 22nd Apr 17, 7:33 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,542 Thanks
    maggiem
    Hi lovasale, elusive Lucy - I haven't managed any more AF days either as on holiday and feeling a bit s*d it, might as well. Not helpful really, not too bad but have had wine every day since. I hope to get back to AF on Monday, a school night for me. Excuses excuses but keep posting, I know I am worse when I stop posting. Hope you can break that horrible cycle lovasale.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 22nd Apr 17, 8:06 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 42,600 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Early call but 19/23 AFDs today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

991Posts Today

8,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin