Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,407Posts
    • 49,615Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 701
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 19th Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    You've made my evening. �� Thanks
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 19th Apr 17, 8:42 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Having said that I do have a date tomorrow. Second meet up of the year. I met up with someone late January but I decided he wasn't for me. Then couldn't be bothered to try again. Fingers crossed tomorrow goes well.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Diyer
    • By Diyer 19th Apr 17, 9:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Diyer
    Hi ladies (and gentlemen), I'm much happier by myself generally.
    My last was such a tart with women it caused lots of rows. I'm not a possessive person, but he wanted to be with others. In fact he was acting strange last time he was down...
    I've also had clingy types, where if you agree to meet for a drink won't stop incessantly messaging and wanting to know your life story. They don't understand we need to breathe. I always end up cancelling those.

Hope your date goes well Cuppatea.
    Last edited by Diyer; 19-04-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 19th Apr 17, 9:27 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Yes I hope your date goes well too Cuppatea.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • debjay
    • By debjay 19th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2,048 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    debjay
    10/10 and that's me done for April as off on holiday from tomorrow.
    • scatterbrain109
    • By scatterbrain109 19th Apr 17, 9:40 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    scatterbrain109
    [QUOTE=Poor_Single_lady;72426394]
    Actually the most toe curling thing he ever said was when he looked in the mirror, turned up his nose like a pig and said me me- got to check there's no bats in the caves. I can't ever forget that image. To this day he is convined he is gods gift.

Seriously, yuk!

Jo x
    Sealed pot challenge number 10 - #057
    • Diyer
    • By Diyer 19th Apr 17, 10:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Diyer
    Have a lovely trip Debjay
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 19th Apr 17, 10:29 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 4,144 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Can I join again? I have been here before, but lapsed a bit. I do keep count of all my alcohol free days as I am trying to sort myself out.

The only problem with keeping count is that if I have a sip of alcohol, I think, oh well, I can keep going as might as well as I can't count it as AF. And yes, I know how bad that sounds.

I am so able to drink a bottle of wine without batting an eyelid that sometimes I buy beer to drink before it as I don't want the wine to run out too quickly, but two bottles of wine makes me feel as if I really have a problem. Yeesh. Yep, I have read that back to myself.

Anyways, I plan to have 10 AF days free a month adding up to 120 a year. I made it bang on last year, 2015 was 98 and 2014 was terrible. Only 49.

For this year, I am on target.

January - 15
    February - 12
    March - 7
    April - 6 so far.

So I will aim for 10 days still in April. Only 4 more to go. Can't be that hard, can it?!

6/10 for me today.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £375,000
    Mortgages (4th April 2017) - £185,086.10
    Equity - £189,913.90
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 19th Apr 17, 11:23 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Hope the date went well!

Welcome back Pollyanna and good luck.

7/14 for me please Shaggy. Sleep well everyone.
    2017 AFDs 35/150 14/4/10/7
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 20th Apr 17, 7:18 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 4,804 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Welcome back PollyAnna.
    I can relate to what you've written so you're not alone.
    I hope coming here helps. I enjoy reading my daily updates. I don't always get the chance to type loads but I appreciate it in others.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 20th Apr 17, 7:31 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 7,825 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 14/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £3,409.41/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    April AFDs: 17/21 2017 AFDs: 81/252
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 20th Apr 17, 7:56 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 17,521 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Shy wave from the sidelines

I wobbled quite a lot during March (rough time of year for me) and haven't been keeping count this month, but am still doing OK. Drinking limited to single glasses when it happens and no hangovers to report, which pleases me greatly!

Cheering you all on
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • PriceySOS
    • By PriceySOS 20th Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 4,319 Thanks
    PriceySOS
    7 please, Shaggy, ta
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 20th Apr 17, 9:41 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 4,222 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,

1 more for last night please Shaggy.
    Arkers x
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 20th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    10/12 for today please Shaggy
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 20th Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    • 4,224 Posts
    • 42,909 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Wow Scatterbrain, 17 straight! Seriously impressive.

I hope you all find someone, Diyer, Cuppa Tea and PSL. I'd been happily single for two years before I met OH (I was 37 and he was 46). The thing I learned was that I could cope with the bad times and when things got rough because I had great friends, but the hard part was not having anyone to share the good time with. I hope you all find someone whose company you thoroughly enjoy - that was the thing that tipped it for me with OH.

Welcome back Dizzy and Pollyanna! I think this thread's a great place to dip in and out of if that's what works for you.

20/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 20th Apr 17, 12:59 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 49,615 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Afternoon

1 more AFD for yesterday.

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 20th Apr 17, 1:03 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 49,615 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    I have asked Shaggydoo if I can switch to target free.
    Originally posted by scatterbrain109
    Done.

In the meantime I am 17/28. 17 straight days and I am absolutely kn@ckered

Jo x
    Originally posted by scatterbrain109
    9 days straight here - I'm feeling great!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 20th Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 49,615 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Can I join again? I have been here before, but lapsed a bit. I do keep count of all my alcohol free days as I am trying to sort myself out.

The only problem with keeping count is that if I have a sip of alcohol, I think, oh well, I can keep going as might as well as I can't count it as AF. And yes, I know how bad that sounds.

I am so able to drink a bottle of wine without batting an eyelid that sometimes I buy beer to drink before it as I don't want the wine to run out too quickly, but two bottles of wine makes me feel as if I really have a problem. Yeesh. Yep, I have read that back to myself.

Anyways, I plan to have 10 AF days free a month adding up to 120 a year. I made it bang on last year, 2015 was 98 and 2014 was terrible. Only 49.

For this year, I am on target.

January - 15
    February - 12
    March - 7
    April - 6 so far.

So I will aim for 10 days still in April. Only 4 more to go. Can't be that hard, can it?!

6/10 for me today.
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    Back! I've put you on the yearly and April Challenge.

Good Luck!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 20th Apr 17, 1:16 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 49,615 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : April 2017
    April 2017
    = 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 30 days AF

= Target Achieved

Alcohol Free Days
    Arkers 10/TF

BaileysOnIce 2/10
    Barny1979
    15/23
    CathyBird 14/21
    CuppaTea 10/18
    DebJay 10/10
    Diyer 7/TF
    Eltee 12/24

ElusiveLucy
    5/14

FakePlasticTwee
    6/18

FreysMum
    /26

GreenKaren 1/20

Honey Bear 20/30

LoveASale
    2/14

Macpep1 3/17

MaggieM 5
    /12

Maman
    5/10

NewMe 4/TF

PollyAnna 6/TF
    Poor Single Lady 14/23
    Pricey 7/18
    ScatterBrain 17/28

Shaggy 15/17
    Smiley_77 8/28

SukeyBoo
    10/12

WBF
    7/14

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,254Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin