Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,556Posts
    • 50,622Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 700
    • scatterbrain109
    • By scatterbrain109 18th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    scatterbrain109
    Hello everyone, gorgeous sunshine but blooming freezing out there! (OK a bit of an exaggeration but it's still overcoat weather).

Just stopped by to report 16/28

Jo x
    Sealed pot challenge number 10 - #057
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 18th Apr 17, 7:34 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 43,182 Thanks
    Barny1979
    15/23 AFDs today
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 18th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 9,946 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    6/14 for me please Shaggy.

Goodnight everyone, sleep well.
    No. 44 Save 12K in 2017 £6,100/£7,500 81%
    AFDs 80/150 14/4/10/9/7/3/18/15 53%
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 19th Apr 17, 7:52 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 3,659 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    14/23 please

Thank you HB - I believe I will keep you company but it won't be easy. May includes a work event where alcohol is literally put into your hand- of course you can say no thank you but it's not easy.

I've been at work things previously and not drunk where I've felt run down, poorly or just tired but it is surprising the amount of people that ask you if you are pregnant.
    Will take it one day at a time and I have some April commitments where I wouldn't mind a drink but then come may i am going to be with you HB. Thank you very much for the encouragement.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 19th Apr 17, 7:59 AM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 9,019 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 13/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,183.81/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Sep AFDs: 20/21 2017 AFDs: 217/252
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 19th Apr 17, 12:24 PM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,622 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Afternoon

I had an AF Easter so I have 5 more AFDs to add - I was not chocolate free however

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 19th Apr 17, 12:30 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Hope your puss cat is better scatterbrain - they are a real worry when they are not well - wouldn't it be nice if they could just tell you what is bothering them

We lost ours due to kidney problems and old age recently and he is very sorely missed

9/12 for today please Shaggy
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 19th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 45,559 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    He really wasnt worth it.
    Originally posted by Diyer
    If he drove you to drink he certainly wasn't! There are lovely people out there, but finding them is like the old adage - you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince/ss.

Hello everyone, gorgeous sunshine but blooming freezing out there! (OK a bit of an exaggeration but it's still overcoat weather).
    Originally posted by scatterbrain109
    It's fine as long as I'm out of the wind, but then we're in the southwest and I think the north is having slightly more Aprilish weather. It's only rained once here in about three weeks.

14/23 please

Thank you HB - I believe I will keep you company but it won't be easy. May includes a work event where alcohol is literally put into your hand- of course you can say no thank you but it's not easy.

I've been at work things previously and not drunk where I've felt run down, poorly or just tired but it is surprising the amount of people that ask you if you are pregnant.
    Will take it one day at a time and I have some April commitments where I wouldn't mind a drink but then come may i am going to be with you HB. Thank you very much for the encouragement.
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    Good-oh PSL. It helps if you work out your 'story' before you launch yourself into an AF evening when everyone expects you to drink. Only you know what you can say in reply that you'd feel comfortable with. Sadly, 'It's none of your flipping (sic) business' isn't acceptable apparently!

Frankly I question the wisdom of mixing work and booze, anyway. At very high level interviews in the NHS there used to be a 'trial by sherry' on the evening of the first day. Spouses were expected to attend and both the interviewee and the spouse were closely monitored after a couple of drinks. Vile. I'd hope things have improved in the 20 years since I left, but I doubt it.

I was never confident enough I got on well enough with colleagues to get bladdered in their company to be honest, so it wasn't an issue for me; being with friends and/or drinking at home was pretty lethal though.

Good luck with it.

19/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 19th Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,622 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : March 2017
    March 2017
    = 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

Alcohol Free Days
    Arkers 20/TF
    Barny1979
    23/24
    CathyBird 21/21

CoastalChick 1/26
    CuppaTea 17/16

Dansmam 2/31
    DebJay 20/16

DizzyImp 1/25
    Eltee
    21/21
    ElusiveLucy
    14/16
    FakePlasticTwee
    17/20
    FreysMum
    27/27
    GreenKaren 21/20

Honey Bear 31/31
    LoveASale 17/16

MaggieM
    7/15
    Maman
    13/10
    Poor Single Lady 25/22
    Pricey 22/22
    ScatterBrain 23/25
    Shaggy 17/17

SukeyBoo 14/12
    WBF 10/10

WJN222 4/10

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 19th Apr 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,622 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Hi All,

Just discovered this thread whilst looking for something else entirely, just what I need to be honest!
    I drink to cope with stress these days, never used to be like that, and about 5 years ago I gave up alcohol for 7 months, then only used to drink occasionally.
    The last two years have been one nightmare after another, a serious shoulder injury in 2015, ongoing business and serious money problems, still ongoing, surgery for suspected breast cancer last summer (thankfully successful) then two weeks after the all clear from that, my mother became very ill and that situation is still ongoing after over 9 months, very stressful. Yes, you guessed it, the drinking is back, most nights, just to relax and escape the stress for a few hours, stupid but there it is.

Just wondered how this thread works, I really could do with some moral support, and of course in turn offer the same to others trying to cut down or give up.

My aim for this week is to not drink until next weekend, then decide how I want to go forward. Hoping that posting here will help keep me accountable....any advice welcome x
    Originally posted by jp1964
    Do you want to join the April Challenge? 12 days left.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 19th Apr 17, 12:46 PM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,622 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : April 2017
    April 2017
    = 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 30 days AF

= Target Achieved

Alcohol Free Days
    Arkers 9/TF

BaileysOnIce 2/10
    Barny1979
    15/23
    CathyBird 13/21
    CuppaTea 9/18
    DebJay 9/10

Diyer 6/TF
    Eltee 12/24

ElusiveLucy
    5/14

FakePlasticTwee
    6/18

FreysMum
    /26

GreenKaren 1/20

Honey Bear 19/30

LoveASale
    2/14

Macpep1 3/17

MaggieM 5
    /12

Maman
    5/10

NewMe 4/TF
    Poor Single Lady 14/23

Pricey 6/18
    ScatterBrain 16/28

Shaggy 14/17
    Smiley_77 8/28

SukeyBoo
    9/12

WBF
    6/14

Last edited by shaggydoo; 19-04-2017 at 1:09 PM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 19th Apr 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 50,622 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    2017 Annual Challenge (Jan Feb & Mar combined totals)
    2017 Targets
    = 50 Days AF

= 100 days AF

= 150 days AF

= 200 days AF

= 250 days AF

= 300 days AF

= 350 days AF

= 365 days AF

= target achieved

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers
    64/TF
    Barny1979
    69/275
    CathyBird 64/252

CuppaTea 50 /200
    DebJay 75/TF
    DizzyImp 52 /TF
    Eltee 62/200
    ElusiveLucy
    57/TF
    FakePlasticTwee 64/TF

GreenKaren
    62/120
    Honey Bear
    90/365

LoveASale 40/TF

MaggieM
    40/185

Maman 40/TF
    Poor Single Lady 65/TF
    Pricey 63 /250
    ScatterBrain
    76/TF
    Shaggy 50/260

SukeyBoo
    41/150

WBF 28/150

Last edited by shaggydoo; 20-04-2017 at 1:01 PM.
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 19th Apr 17, 12:59 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,584 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,

2 further AFD please Shaggy.
    Arkers x
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 19th Apr 17, 5:08 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 5,640 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Hmm I'm behind on my annual target....��
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Diyer
    • By Diyer 19th Apr 17, 5:48 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    Diyer
    Af 7/17 today.

There are a hell of a lot of frogs out there Honeybear, but thank you. I'm not a needy person, and hated feeling that way.

Oh good luck with your targets Cuppatea, and good afternoon to everyone
    Last edited by Diyer; 19-04-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    • scatterbrain109
    • By scatterbrain109 19th Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    scatterbrain109
    Hmm I'm behind on my annual target....��
    Originally posted by CuppaTea

Sorry am I
    I have asked Shaggydoo if I can switch to target free.

In the meantime I am 17/28. 17 straight days and I am absolutely kn@ckered

Jo x
    Last edited by scatterbrain109; 19-04-2017 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Added my total
    Sealed pot challenge number 10 - #057
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 19th Apr 17, 7:57 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 5,640 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Sorry am I
    I have asked Shaggydoo if I can switch to target free.

In the meantime I am 17/28. 17 straight days and I am absolutely kn@ckered

Jo x
    Originally posted by scatterbrain109
    Wow I'm seriously impressed!!
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 19th Apr 17, 7:59 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 5,640 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Af 7/17 today.

There are a hell of a lot of frogs out there Honeybear, but thank you. I'm not a needy person, and hated feeling that way.

Oh good luck with your targets Cuppatea, and good afternoon to everyone
    Originally posted by Diyer
    Thanks Diyer. I'm in the middle of the dating game. Still looking for my prince after being on my own for nearly 5 years. I dip my toe in and out of the dating game. Just can't find that spark. Then I loose inclination and bury myself being a mum and with work. Can get lonely at times.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 19th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 5,640 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    10/18 please shaggy
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 19th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 3,659 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Hi Cuppatea and Diyer - and other single ladies (and non-singles and men) - I know this is off topic but- I am happy single but would love to meet someone and have the spark. I meet men that seem nice but they always turn out to be a bit odd.
    And I'm wishing and willing so hard for things to go well but then they start telling you all their problems and bleak childhood about their illnesses and colds and sunburn and they always say things that turn your tummy or they love themselves too much and think they're something that they're not. Ex boyfriend was convinced that he was similar to Robbie Williams sadly not.

Actually the most toe curling thing he ever said was when he looked in the mirror, turned up his nose like a pig and said me me- got to check there's no bats in the caves. I can't ever forget that image. To this day he is convined he is gods gift.

I'm not sure I need the spark I think I would settle for someone normal That doesn't turn my tummy. This does seem to be most elusive.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,441Posts Today

7,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin