Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,446Posts
    • 49,885Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 680
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 15,977 Posts
    • 95,355 Thanks
    maman
    Hope you are OK HB, not like you not to keep up with posting.

It was my birthday yesterday but as it was a weekend it was a planned drinking day anyway. Nothing excessive, but I had a good time.

No drinking planned today but I am out tomorrow for a meal with friends and then away for a week's holiday. I've done much better than I expected at this point so I'll get to target and more when I get back.

9 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 13th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 5,042 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    6/12 for today please Shaggy
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 43,493 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I really need to learn that going away on holiday doesn't mean that the trip automatically turns into a non-stop bender right from the moment I get to the airport departures lounge. I still want to be able to sample the local beer and wine but it would be nice to get back, remember more of what happened and not spend a few days at work unable to think straight.

Any tips on low alcohol holidays?
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    What works for me is alcohol free beer. It seems there are a lot more brands available everywhere else, whereas in England most bars only stock one and corner shops that sell alcohol over there sell a choice of AF beers, whereas in the UK that means a trip to a supermarket. The only place I had a hard time getting hold of AF beer was in Bristol - the restaurant ran out of it after I had what was apparently their only bottle, and the pub didn't have any at all. In Barcelona everywhere we went had lots of choice and it made eating out much easier.

The other thing I'd suggest is thinking about what you want from a holiday. If it's sitting in cafes and bars and watching the world go by followed by an evening of a long, slow dinner, you're bound to feel the pinch of cutting the booze down or out altogether.

I've realized a completely useless thing. You know on the MSE site when you go to your control panel to (say) update your signature and among other things it shows all the threads you subscribe to. It shows the name of the thread, the newest poster, the number of replies and the number of views. This morning I accidentally pressed on the number of replies and a panel appeared showing everyone on this thread and how many times they have posted, in descending order. So I can see shaggydoo has posted 1,975 times, Honey Bear 977 and Barny1979 927. I'm actually seventh in the list with 489! That surprises me because I thought I had joined this thread quite late on, though I guess I do post most days. I'm quite chuffed about it though, I feel it somehow has to be a good thing. Anyway, as I say, it's completely useless information, in a good way though.
    Originally posted by cathybird
    Useful! Thanks for that. There are some contributors I know I find interesting, so that's a great way for me to scan threads to see who's got a lot to say.

Happy birthday Maman!

Thank you everyone who wished me well. I'm feeling better but still a bit feeble. I'm back to getting on with stuff because it's piling up here and I don't really cope with it all hanging over me. I've got to learn to pace myself a bit better.

Sorry life's been throwing lemons at you, Shaggy. Very sad when people you've always believed absolutely belonged together decide they don't. Quite destabilizing. 13/31 please.
    Keeping it AF
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 13th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 5,029 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    8/16 pls shaggy
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 13th Mar 17, 5:53 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 2,749 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    10/22

Trying to go through to Saturday.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • debjay
    • By debjay 13th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    debjay
    8/16 for tonight please.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 13th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 42,127 Thanks
    Barny1979
    10/24 AFDs today
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 13th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    Green Karen
    12/20 AF for tonight please.

Glad you're back HB.
    • scatterbrain109
    • By scatterbrain109 13th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    scatterbrain109
    Hi Shaggydoo

9/25 for me today please

Jo x
    Last edited by scatterbrain109; 14-03-2017 at 9:52 AM.
    Sealed pot challenge number 10 - #057
    • fakeplastictwee
    • By fakeplastictwee 13th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 4,425 Thanks
    fakeplastictwee
    Hi everyone. 6/20 for me tonight please.
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 13th Mar 17, 11:00 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 9,579 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Hi everyone, 2/10 for me. I had a lovely holiday with no hangovers or going OTT. I have only managed no - alcohol holidays when driving a vehicle was involved so I suggest a road trip somewhere.

My next AFD is planned for tomorrow. Sleep well everyone.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 43,493 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Thanks Green Karen.

14/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 14th Mar 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 8,110 Thanks
    cathybird
    hey all, for some reason I didn't post yesterday but I didn't drink either and no plans to drink today so up to 10/21.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. 7,475.85/12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: 20,880.11/15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: 25,464.86/10,000
    May AFDs: 23/21 2017 AFDs: 109/252
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 14th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    Haven't posted for a while as OH was rushed into hospital last week. He's home now thankfully and OK but being home alone stressing didn't do anything for my AF count.

I did manage AF on Sun and last night so I am calling in early for tonight with 8/16
    MF 03Sep2016
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 14th Mar 17, 11:19 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 5,042 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    7/12 for today please Shaggy
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 15,977 Posts
    • 95,355 Thanks
    maman
    Good to see you posting HB.

Haven't posted for a while as OH was rushed into hospital last week. He's home now thankfully and OK but being home alone stressing didn't do anything for my AF count.
    Originally posted by ElusiveLucy
    Sorry to hear that lucy, hope OH is on the mend.

Hi everyone, 2/10 for me. I had a lovely holiday with no hangovers or going OTT.
    Originally posted by Wanna Bee Free
    Good to hear you say that wbf, that's exactly my plan for the next week. I know I've improved hugely as I no longer drag people into bars during the day, quite happy with a coffee shop. Not fussed about drinking at lunchtime as it makes me sleepy and I want to enjoy the afternoons. No obsession with having a bottle in my hotel room. All good signs that I've cut down permanently.

I'm out for a meal with friends tonight so I will have a drink but not excessive as we've an early start tomorrow. See you next week all.
    • Eltee12
    • By Eltee12 14th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    Eltee12
    Afternoon All

8/21 for me please

Thanks

El
    PAYDBX 2017 #45 608/1,968 = 30.89% paid;
    2017 AFD 85/200: Jan=25, Feb=16, Mar=21, APR=23
    CCC #11 2.50/300 - no spend months: JAN-APRIL
    Mortgage-free since 2013
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 14th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 4,421 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon everyone,

9 AFD please.

Belated birthday wishes Maman. Hope everyone who is not 100% or with relatives who are ill get well soon.

Arkers x
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 14th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 8,110 Thanks
    cathybird
    Happy belated birthday from me too Maman - and ElusiveLucy, hope your OH will get well soon - and Honey Bear, hope you are feeling better soon too. Thanks for finding my useless info useful too!!
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. 7,475.85/12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: 20,880.11/15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: 25,464.86/10,000
    May AFDs: 23/21 2017 AFDs: 109/252
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 14th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 49,885 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : March 2017
    March 2017
    = 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

Alcohol Free Days
    Arkers 9/TF
    Barny1979
    10/24
    CathyBird 10/21

CoastalChick 1/26
    CuppaTea 8/16

Dansmam 2/31
    DebJay 8/16

DizzyImp 1/25

Eltee
    8/21
    ElusiveLucy
    8/16

FakePlasticTwee
    6/20
    FreysMum
    9/27
    GreenKaren 12/20

Honey Bear 14/31
    LoveASale 7/16

MaggieM
    /15
    Maman
    9/10
    Poor Single Lady 10/22
    Pricey 9/22
    ScatterBrain 9/25
    Shaggy 7/17

SukeyBoo 7/12

WBF 2/10

WJN222 2/10

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

5,886Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin