Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • landt2013
    • By landt2013 3rd Jan 14, 9:56 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 8Thanks
    landt2013
    Beware- Vodafone misleading "loyalty" offer
    • 3rd Jan 14, 9:56 PM
    Beware- Vodafone misleading "loyalty" offer 3rd Jan 14 at 9:56 PM
    I was a very happy Vodafone customer until this afternoon. Yesterday, I got a phone call from them, asking if I'd like a free Samsung Galaxy S3 tablet. Free? I said cynically. What's the catch? The lady said there was no catch- it was a completely free tablet, to say thanks for being a loyal customer. She hoped I'd tell all my friends how great Vodafone were. Hang on a minute, I said, there's really nothing at all to pay? She said just a delivery charge of about £4.95, which would be billed to my mobile account. OK, I said, I'll take it.

It arrived today, less than 24 hours after the phone call. They sent it to my old address rather than the one I live at, but that was an inconvenience I was prepared to overlook as I was getting a new toy. I didn't have a tablet as I don't have any use for one- it would just be a toy to me, and I don't have the spare cash for such toys at the moment.

A few hours later, I get an email thanking me for my custom and letting me know the details of my new contract. New contract? Hang on a minute... And there it was, I suddenly had two phone numbers, my usual one with my usual minutes and data (which are much higher than I need anyway) and now a £25/month, 24 month, 2GB data plan for my "free tablet".

40 minutes on the phone later to two idiots and one nice sympathetic lad and the contract is cancelled and the tablet is sadly back in the box ready for return. And if it wasn't for early repayment charges I'd have cancelled my phone contract with them too- but I won't be renewing when the term is up.

A classic example of "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is" but not once in my conversation did the lady mention contracts, usage, monthly payments... if she had I would have said this isn't for me... and I asked her three times if there was anything at all to pay. I was going to use it in the house only, and on the wi-fi only.

The snooty woman on the customer care line informed me that my complaint was groundless, as the tablet was indeed completely free, but, "madam, you have to pay for the usage..."

So, all Vodafone customers, beware. This is not the deal it appears, and if you really want one of these on contract, to add insult to injury, there are better deals available on their own website!!
Page 4
    • JMellor
    • By JMellor 1st Oct 15, 11:58 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JMellor
    I've just realised something new, the call I made where the assistant reassured me everything was free mentioned I'd made a call review before. (I believe the 12th the day after the sales call, because I was so unsure of the deal I was being told) This was the call that first mentioned a charge and she must have put a call review, because the next guy who tells me everything is ok tells me he can see I've requested one and has anyone got back to me.

This means I asked for the call to reviewed the 12th of September. And no one contacted me until I ring for a final time yesterday (30/9) 18 days later!

The plot thickens
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 1st Oct 15, 3:43 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Its corporate fraud, its one of UK's biggest companies,.

No such thing as mis-selling. It's a euphemism for fraud.
    Originally posted by diamonds
    Complete nonsense.
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 2nd Oct 15, 2:27 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    diamonds
    Complete nonsense.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    indeed you are...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/contents
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe
    • DelOrean1955
    • By DelOrean1955 24th Nov 15, 8:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DelOrean1955
    After reading the posts on here I've become convinced that my complaint will have no standing with Vodafone but here goes...

Yesterday I received a call from Vodafone saying as a loyal customer I was entitled to a new Vodafone Smart Tab for free! Many times she quoted how much something usually was but for me it would be cheaper etc. She made it very clear that it was because I was a loyal customer so I went ahead with what sounded like a good deal. After the call I looked online and saw that the exact offer I had just been given is available to everyone online! They are not rewarding me for my loyalty at all!

Is this allowed? Are they allowed to tell you they are rewarding your loyalty when they are not?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 25th Nov 15, 2:37 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Of course. It's called marketing. Just about every salesman does that.

I would be FAR more concerned that the "deal" you were offered won't be the same in practice.
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 12-01-2016 at 8:13 AM.
    • stingray 316
    • By stingray 316 11th Jan 16, 8:11 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stingray 316
    Oh no reckon this tablet scam as got us tonight..
    My wife received a phone call from a women saying as you are a loyal customer you can receive a free tablet and pay just £3 a month for 24 months for 3GB data , after 24 months the tablet is yours and you can finish the contract of £3 a month data or carry on at this monthly price .
    My wife was impressed by this but asked if she could explain this to me on the phone and she said exactly the same to me .
    I said is there any hidden charges or is that the price per month of £3 and she said that's right ..
    So it should be with us tomorrow by Royal Mail as a text was sent shortly after.
    Anyway me still not convinced by this decided to phone vodefone after and after getting to talk to a customer service operator and them getting my wife's info up found out its £12 a month which we said was not what the person who rang about the deal said..
    The item has already been sent out so we have said we will not be signing for it tomorrow so it can go back and be cancelled..
    They are going to look into the recorded conversation we had with the women and if the £3 a month offer was offered they will call us back and offer us this deal should we still want the tablet..
    He said the investigation should take between 7 to 10 days , so let's see if the phone my wife back and honour this after finding this is what my wife was offered...
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Jan 16, 8:09 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    You won't hear from them again. Gullible.
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 12th Jan 16, 4:11 PM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    diamonds
    Oh no reckon this tablet scam as got us tonight..
    My wife received a phone call from a women saying as you are a loyal customer you can receive a free tablet and pay just £3 a month for 24 months for 3GB data , after 24 months the tablet is yours and you can finish the contract of £3 a month data or carry on at this monthly price .
    My wife was impressed by this but asked if she could explain this to me on the phone and she said exactly the same to me .
    I said is there any hidden charges or is that the price per month of £3 and she said that's right ..
    So it should be with us tomorrow by Royal Mail as a text was sent shortly after.
    Anyway me still not convinced by this decided to phone vodefone after and after getting to talk to a customer service operator and them getting my wife's info up found out its £12 a month which we said was not what the person who rang about the deal said..
    The item has already been sent out so we have said we will not be signing for it tomorrow so it can go back and be cancelled..
    They are going to look into the recorded conversation we had with the women and if the £3 a month offer was offered they will call us back and offer us this deal should we still want the tablet..
    He said the investigation should take between 7 to 10 days , so let's see if the phone my wife back and honour this after finding this is what my wife was offered...
    Originally posted by stingray 316
    Good luck, keep us mere mortal consumers posted
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe
    • Littlelotus7
    • By Littlelotus7 25th Feb 16, 8:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlelotus7
    My hubby has just been caught out with the exact same thing. Free tablet as you are a loyal customer, nothing to pay, no mention of a contract or monthly fees etc etc. The phone call was yesterday the bloody thing arrived this afternoon. I looked it up & found the above thread as I said to hubby if it sounds too good to be true then it is too good to be true........ Hence an hour on the phone to Vodafone to arrange for return of tablet & ensure no charges to hubby, they had the cheek to say if & when we receive it back in perfect condition then & only then will it be cancelled. I said we didn't even open the box so it is exactly as we received it & I just hope to God the couriers or returns dept. don't damage it. I'm disgusted & stressed out now at the devious nature of a company I was once thrilled with. You would think they would have stopped this way of doing things to people by now...... bloody fuming!!!!!
    • emcac
    • By emcac 17th Jun 16, 4:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    emcac
    Just got 'THAT' call today
    Just got that call today, free tablet if i paid a small cost towards the data (like they were doing me a favour) it would end up costing me over £15 per month and then when i declined, but since i was still a good custome,r they were going to offer me another offer on my broadband....again that would have cost me money as it was more expensive than what I have.

When I asked if he could SAVE me money on my existing account, he said he was unable to do so...

So much for customer service eh! If i got a call just saying hello and how are you today I would be a much happier customer as it doesn't cost anyone to be nice....if your not vodafone of course.
    • laurenpaigeb
    • By laurenpaigeb 14th Dec 16, 6:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    laurenpaigeb
    Some of you are saying you gave them no details, well how did they mange to charge you for a tablet contract.

Ive just had a phone call saying i have a won a tablet but after seeing this i will not be falling for it.
    • Karlosx
    • By Karlosx 19th Apr 17, 10:44 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Karlosx
    Looks like this promo is still doing the rounds.

Had a call today, as I'm such a great customer they wanted to offer me a free tablet, all i'll have to do to receive it is pay a small monthly fee for the data which was around £5 a month. I told them i;d rather they increased my contracts data for that price and not offer me a !!!!ing tablet with data. shity 1GB on my contract for the last 6 years... only now am I seeing better offers for 4GB+ but the contract prices are almost double, madness.

an extra 1GB per month is £6.... Almost tempting to find a new network, when me contract is due for renewal i will be discussing better options otherwise I'll find a better provider who does not hassle me every few weeks with shity promotions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,239Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin