Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 3rd Jan 14, 6:38 PM
    • 17,720Posts
    • 38,191Thanks
    Glad
    Money Savers Arms CXXVI - serving beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee - all welcome
    • 3rd Jan 14, 6:38 PM
    Money Savers Arms CXXVI - serving beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee - all welcome 3rd Jan 14 at 6:38 PM

Good evening all

and welcome to a brand new Arms

a place to chill and chat

for everyone

I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Page 851
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 18th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Once upon a time, many moonings ago, the whole of my area, was a Pine forest. In between the tree lined avenues, there are still woodland walks. The walks are full of bluebells now, except for a few bare ladies (the bulb kind). The Russians came and built a water pumping station, that was also many moonings ago, but that is when my area was put on the map.
    In the next town along, it was VERY fashionable in Victorian times, to drink the sea water, it thought to be therapeutic. History lesson over.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 18th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    By here was a small village that provided everything needed for miles around. Pub, brewery, windmill, forge (wot is opposite our house.) Our place is built on former farmland before the town next door became famous in Victorian times and slowly swallowed the surrounding villages, resulting in ribbon development along the lanes and byeways that later got widened and metalled.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 18th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    The Last Username
    Ooh, 'istory.

It seems that about half the town near us fell into the sea in the 1540's and some time before that, the two Earls responsible for the place fought to the death.
    The helmet of one was to be seen in the town church for centuries afterwards, along with brasses from as early as 1403.
    The family previously owning the town's hall have records dating back to 1300's, it seems.
    In the 19th century it was a centre for ship-breaking during winters.

Nowadays it is more famous for visitors to the sea; for arcades, static caravans and nearby for seals, especially for viewing seals with their pups.

In our (elongated) little village a few miles away there is a small junior school and a picturesque thatched pub, plus a couple of churches - one 12th century & the other 14th.
    It was actually two villages which have combined to be one for many years now.
    Population 680 at the 2011 census.
    It will not have increased much, if at all.

I love the bluebells Tips - it reminds me of where I grew up in Scotland.
    Did the electrickery providers peek at your meter Fruity?
    Are they going to change it?
    I hope the trolley dash went well.

I am a little laterer than usual as was drowning showering DS following his school swim.
    He is SO pleased to be back to school.
    I wonder how long that will last?
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 19th Apr 17, 10:06 AM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    It's another luverly day by here today. The power station is working to full capacity as a result.

Thanks for the His-Story lesson LUN. Why is it we never get a Her-Story lesson? That seems a bit sexist to me.

Yes the electrickery meter man came and logged lots of meter type information. The thing has been there since Fruitcake Folly was built in 1960, so it always amazes me when the power company say they want to come and see what type it is and check it's serial number, date of birth, inside leg, and bra size every couple of years.
    It's owned by the power distribution company, and are able to tell me all about it, but the utility company manage to forget what is there every now and then.

Anyway, I remember many of those little villages around Clee and environs. My dad used to take us out most weekends whenever possible and I have happy memories of picnics, catching minnows or knocking conkers out of trees when I was ickle so probably passed through the huge metropolis you have described on more than one occasion.

The "village" I live in now crashed into the three surrounding ones and got swallowed up by the seaside town nearby many decades ago. Luckily it still has a village feel with everything we need in old age if/when we have to give up driving. Post office (inside a local small supermarket) hardware shop, library, health food shop, bakery, at least four charity shops, fruit and veg shop, garage, four pubs, two churches, and more estate agents than you can shake a stick at.
    I don't have a sister.

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 19th Apr 17, 12:20 PM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Good Afternoon all
    What lovely posts, you two.
    Now I just LOVE history. When I first joined MSE forum, one of my first threads was Family Trees.
    Now LUN I haven't forgotten my Scottish bit, just need to stop playing games at the Arms, and write a post here - I will, I promise.
    But alas I must go shopping.
    So Laterers as we say.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 19th Apr 17, 1:33 PM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    MORE shopping? You must be a glutton for punishment.

I had a productive heart clinic visit this morning. Apparently I am a model patient.

This avo I shall be putting my fate feet in the hands of our chiropodist friend. It's not cheap but it is better than trying to bend. It's a family job lot as well so I shall be orf to fetch the Outlaws in a very soon moment." I bet you don't know what film that expression came from.
    I don't have a sister.

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 19th Apr 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    MORE shopping? You must be a glutton for punishment.

I had a productive heart clinic visit this morning. Apparently I am a model patient.

This avo I shall be putting my fate feet in the hands of our chiropodist friend. It's not cheap but it is better than trying to bend. It's a family job lot as well so I shall be orf to fetch the Outlaws in a very soon moment." I bet you don't know what film that expression came from.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Yes Fruity shopping never stops.
    Great news on the old ticker, I bet your lovely is pleased.
    Chiropodist. oh something else for me to look forward to in the future. They are NOT cheap. Uncle has to have one, as he also has Diabetes.
    Outlaws , hmm, A western of some kind.

LUN I'll make a start - I have a Scottish surname.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 20th Apr 17, 9:40 AM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Yes Fruity shopping never stops.
    Great news on the old ticker, I bet your lovely is pleased.
    Chiropodist. oh something else for me to look forward to in the future. They are NOT cheap. Uncle has to have one, as he also has Diabetes.
    Outlaws , hmm, A western of some kind.

LUN I'll make a start - I have a Scottish surname.
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Sorry, I meant the "in a very soon moment" bit, but I managed to miss out one of the important speech marks.
    It comes from a film called North West Frontier starring Lauren Bacall and Kenneth More. Trying to escape across India in an old steam train, the engine driver frequently says that things will be done "in a very soon moment." This usually happens while the train is being attacked by rebels and the engine won't start.

It be raining by here. I didn't order that. I hope it dries by Saturdegg as I want MFTY to cut it again.
    I don't have a sister.

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 20th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    A very Quick Good Morning
    I am orf to see SIL for her special Birthday.
    Laterers
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 20th Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    We had lunch out with my Cousin/SiL last weekend. It was surprisingly pleasant. Well, put it this way; it was surprisingly bearable.
    I don't have a sister.

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 20th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Well that went well.
    Driving through the New Forest, It was ablaze of yellow, the gorse is in flower.
    It always makes me smile as SIL lives in Man Hood lane.
    She is hubby's eldest sister, and has learning problems - Still likes dolls.
    But I love her to bits, and she was 70.

This pic is exactly how it looked today.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 20th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    The Last Username
    Glorious, Tips!

I too have a very Scottish name - and not Mc or Mac.
    Looking forward to your stories.

Fruity ... what can I say?
    I have a mental (watch it!) image of a large family seated on adjoining benches, feet out atop footstools.
    In front of them and veritably whizzing down said personages is fella holding angle grinder to shorten horny toenails, sparks and nails a-flying!

Great news about being a model too BTW.
    Any chance of an autograph? (One on a sizeable cheque would be nice. So long as it's not rubber.)

Well, I went and did it.
    That's why I wasn't 'ere yesterday.

I started reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series again from the first book, just for light relief.
    Now my ribs hurt and I'm finding it difficult to put the darned ereader down!!!

Shopping for me too tomorrow.
    Needs must and all that.
    There was after all more of my sock on my foot than there was left on the sock .................... IYSWIM.

Laterers all.
    Spike Milligan
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Apr 17, 9:18 AM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Lovely pic Tips, although I was expecting to see blossom wafting acrorst the countryside vista, not random letters and wurds.

I'm glad the visit went well.

LUN, another TP fan. I love his books. My favourites are the ones involving The Watch and The Witches. Definitely rib tickling. My favourite line is from Wyrd Sisters where Magrat has donned some armour. It was designed for your classic well built heroine, whereas she is very thin. The description of the armour was that "it went in where she did, and went out where she didn't."

Ankle grinder on the feets. Well that reminds me of Desperate Dan when nothing could be found that would cut his toenails, they being too tuff for even a neurotic drill. Eventually he had to bite them off.

I'm off to see R Mar this morning then we are going to choose a new bumble dryer this avo, the old on having developed an irrepairable fault in its obsolete mechanism.
    I don't have a sister.

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 21st Apr 17, 11:32 AM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Not much to say except

Laterers
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 21st Apr 17, 4:03 PM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Sorry I can't help it - being Friday and all that.

"Where did you get that black eye?"

"A big boy did it< and he wan away"
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Success. New Bumble Dryer ordered. Delivery should be tomoz.

Total cost to us, just over 13 squid including 5 year warranty and "valeting" (filter cleaning.)

Luverly doggy pics.

Tonight might well be a Josephine night, after the usual watershed.
    I don't have a sister.

• The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 21st Apr 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    The Last Username

A bumble drier for 13 squids Fruity?
    Strewth, I thought I done good at our new one for less than 50.
    TP is just brilliant.
    Or was rather, bless him.
    Talking of which I love Death - and especially the death rat.

Luverly piccies there Tips.
    Son has talked me into having a pet rabbit - I said "in the summer", so if our usual seasons apply this year he won't be getting one!

Shopping duly done, just a whizz around Mr T's.
    All on my list duly purchased (I'm doing well lately) except for the socks as per yesterday.
    I prefer thicker socks, see?
    Not thin "stocking" types.
    And they sell loads in T's.
    At least a thousand pairs there must have been.
    Also I am a standard shoe size (8 to "and-a-half").
    Were there any in MY size?

So I made up for it by buying myself a bottle of Cardhu Gold single malt - a bit of a bargin at 25 squids when it's usually over 40.

Oh - I never thought; I will need two.
    I can't wear one box on my foot, can I?

Matane! (Japanese for "Laters". )
    Spike Milligan
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 21st Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Really? Only £13 for a new Jumble Tyre - WOW!
    I may be able to meet Josephine - But I can't promise.

LUN if you grace us here
    My hubby's Father was born in Glasgee. We have traveled there a couple of times to collect certificates, and to track down addresses, on the old census returns. Sadly his Father and all siblings died quite young. It has been VERY hard work tracing my hubby's paternal tree. Going way back was VERY exciting. I will post some more, but - I NEED A BATH
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 21st Apr 17, 7:57 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    The Last Username
    Tips, you go off & enjoy your bath.

I know bits of Glasgow but not ever so well.

I must now attend to son .......... followed by a little Masterchef.

I'm a keen (if not exactly brilliant) cook & it is one of the few prog's I watch on "normal" telly nowadays.
    Spike Milligan
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 76,937 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    We had a repair contract with a new for old clause, so when the old packed up we were given vouchers for a new one up to a fixed amount. We bought one 13 quid more despensive than the voucher value, including an extended warranty lasting for five years.

By the way, I be here I be.

Yes LUN, I like the death character, or should that be, I LIKE THE DEATH CHARACTER.

If you like Discworld, you might like The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. I'm currently half way through book six, and it is making me chuckle.
    I don't have a sister.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,209Users online

Martin's Twitter