Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 3rd Jan 14, 6:38 PM
    • 17,866Posts
    • 38,742Thanks
    Glad
    Money Savers Arms CXXVI - serving beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee - all welcome
    • 3rd Jan 14, 6:38 PM
    Money Savers Arms CXXVI - serving beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee - all welcome 3rd Jan 14 at 6:38 PM

Good evening all

and welcome to a brand new Arms

a place to chill and chat

for everyone

I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Page 1043
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Nov 17, 3:39 PM
    • 31,224 Posts
    • 115,093 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It's legal almost everywhere now, you know.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    That's only because it's not made the same way as originally, so isn't as 'potent'.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 16th Nov 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 6,435 Thanks
    avogadro
    That's only because it's not made the same way as originally, so isn't as 'potent'.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    This French one on amazon is 68% proof:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008O42A34/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bgZLhn_c_x_1_w/261-0426772-3179018?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandise d-search-3&pf_rd_r=D3A6VKNDBWDQDWTHRKSJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =a6cc8ca4-8eec-5e05-94b6-2e6de7bef9bd&pf_rd_i=629031031

Is this a toned-down version of what it used to be like? No wonder it was illegal in France until a recent-ish European law which permitted the sale of it again.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Nov 17, 7:36 PM
    • 31,224 Posts
    • 115,093 Thanks
    Pyxis
    This French one on amazon is 68% proof:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008O42A34/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bgZLhn_c_x_1_w/261-0426772-3179018?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandise d-search-3&pf_rd_r=D3A6VKNDBWDQDWTHRKSJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =a6cc8ca4-8eec-5e05-94b6-2e6de7bef9bd&pf_rd_i=629031031

Is this a toned-down version of what it used to be like? No wonder it was illegal in France until a recent-ish European law which permitted the sale of it again.
    I think it's more to do with the thujone content, which is the active ingredient derived from the wormwood that is one of the three herbs used to make absinthe, and the one that caused the 'problems' in the past, rather than the alcoholic content.
    Distillation of wormwood can increase the thujone concentration,which can be toxic in certain quantities, I believe.

I've never tried it, nor am ever likely to, as I dislike aniseed-flavoured drinks (even thought I do like aniseed sweets!).
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 16th Nov 17, 11:17 PM
    • 40,524 Posts
    • 80,924 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    I've tried the modern version of absinthe, but didn't like it at all.

I'll stick to drinking 95% water.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 20th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 3,080 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I got a cheque in the post this morning. Trying to think of something nice i can do to treat myself, i don't want to let it go to my head and waste it.
    So suggestions what to do with my 10p !!!!
    It's cost more than that to send it !!! .... If i didn't have my bus pass, it would cost me more than that to take it to the bank. Although i can't even do that 'cos the buses are on strike again today.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 20th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 50,921 Posts
    • 139,086 Thanks
    colinw
    I got a cheque in the post this morning. Trying to think of something nice i can do to treat myself, i don't want to let it go to my head and waste it.
    It's cost more than that to send it !!! .... If i didn't have my bus pass, it would cost me more than that to take it to the bank. Although i can't even do that 'cos the buses are on strike again today.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    You could just frame it and stick it on the wall
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 31,224 Posts
    • 115,093 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Classic!

What was it? A year's interest on some Government stocks?

Will you have to pay tax on it?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Nov 17, 7:48 AM
    • 40,524 Posts
    • 80,924 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    10p!

Don't let it change your life.

...no, on second thoughts, pamper yourself.
    I don't have a sister.

• Silly Worms
    • By Silly Worms 21st Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Silly Worms
    I wonder ............. can you buy a "penny chew" for your ten pence any more?
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 21st Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 6,435 Thanks
    avogadro
    Well Freddo bars have gone right up to 15 pence now. Where will it end?
    • colinw
    • By colinw 21st Nov 17, 8:11 PM
    • 50,921 Posts
    • 139,086 Thanks
    colinw
    Well Freddo bars have gone right up to 15 pence now. Where will it end?
    Chomps are 30p
    • k.o.d
    • By k.o.d 23rd Nov 17, 2:28 AM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 16,857 Thanks
    k.o.d
    Hey Fruity! How are you now? my dad has the same fitted, he had 5 bypasses 26 years ago but as with everything age takes its toll and he had the pacemaker/defibrillator, he has a few other problems (like me as a son) but it has done him very well for the last decade (new batteries changed out etc etc)

I am on nights much less than I used to be, so apologies for not saying hi to everyone last time, but it is very nice to see the old faces and some new ones on here.

Back in the motherland of Lancashire again now, close enough to Mancunia to be able to shop but far enough away to feel relaxed
    I would like to live in Theory, because everything works there
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 23rd Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 40,524 Posts
    • 80,924 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Hey Fruity! How are you now? my dad has the same fitted, he had 5 bypasses 26 years ago but as with everything age takes its toll and he had the pacemaker/defibrillator, he has a few other problems (like me as a son) but it has done him very well for the last decade (new batteries changed out etc etc)

I am on nights much less than I used to be, so apologies for not saying hi to everyone last time, but it is very nice to see the old faces and some new ones on here.

Back in the motherland of Lancashire again now, close enough to Mancunia to be able to shop but far enough away to feel relaxed
    Originally posted by k.o.d
    Hello chap. I'm still in the same place I have been since 1982, all because of a certain cousin of mine.

The device is working well so I am told, even though I don't feel all the benefits. Apparently it cost about 30 grand, not counting installation and maintenance costs! Somebody must think I am worth it.

I don't work at all now apart from the odd job about the house, so I only come here late once in a blue moon.

Anyway, 'tis allus nice to hear from ee.
    I don't have a sister.

• k.o.d
    • By k.o.d 23rd Nov 17, 11:16 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 16,857 Thanks
    k.o.d
    Am glad it all works as it should, they did say it cost about that, but you are well worth it.

2 years until I retire, it cannot come soon enough
    I would like to live in Theory, because everything works there
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 24th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    • 40,524 Posts
    • 80,924 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Am glad it all works as it should, they did say it cost about that, but you are well worth it.

2 years until I retire, it cannot come soon enough
    Originally posted by k.o.d
    As you may recall, I loved my job but I absolutely hated my boss. The whole department hated him. It got so bad that I couldn't wait to leave. As soon as the opportunity came, I took it and haven't looked back since.

I miss the insults and banter, but get the opportunity to go out with a bunch of them on a Tuesday night if I'm free. We are all retired and have worked together for forty years in some cases.
    I calls them The SAGA Louts.
    I don't have a sister.

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 1st Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 6,558 Posts
    • 6,343 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Bit quiet in here lately .....
    Good evening to anybody here either now or later
    Done The Crime, Served The Time
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 2nd Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 40,524 Posts
    • 80,924 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Bit quiet in here lately .....
    Good evening to anybody here either now or later
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Good morning chap. Nice to see you back. How bis?
    I don't have a sister.

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 2nd Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 6,558 Posts
    • 6,343 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Hi Fruity,

Bis is ok - Sort of anyway! I guess your home improvements are probably completed by now?
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 2nd Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 40,524 Posts
    • 80,924 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Hi Fruity,

Bis is ok - Sort of anyway! I guess your home improvements are probably completed by now?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Yes, the work is done and the Outlaws have now moved in with us. There is still a bit of fine tuning to do, but we can hopefully start to relax at last.

How is your puddy tat?
    I don't have a sister.

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 2nd Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 6,558 Posts
    • 6,343 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Busy catching the wildlife whenever he can!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

7,913Users online

Martin's Twitter