Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • randomguy82
    • By randomguy82 19th Dec 13, 9:54 AM
    • 92Posts
    • 27Thanks
    randomguy82
    Mk6 Golf and EGR valve issues
    • 19th Dec 13, 9:54 AM
    Mk6 Golf and EGR valve issues 19th Dec 13 at 9:54 AM
    Hi all

Looking to see if anyone here has experienced a particular fault (which appears to be common after reading many car forums) with Mk6 (2009-2012) VW Golfs. The part in question is the 'EGR Valve' and literally, when it fails, the car will not move.
    The engine turns over, no unexpected lights/warnings, gears are fine and basically, when you release the clutch while pressing down on the accelerator, the engine revs but the car does not physically move.

As you've guessed, I have the exact problem now and going back-and-forth between the local VW dealership and VW Customer Care to reach an acceptable decision on repair costs. The part itself is mechanical so not what I feel is usual 'wear and tear'. Being a Golf which is meant to be renowned for good engineering and having older Golfs where this has never occurred, I feel something like this should not fail 10 months out of warranty. Also, the part when now replaced is with a modified version which to me highlights there were issues with the original part.

Many may feel and say the EGR valve is not needed and can be bypassed; however that is not something I would like to do at present. I would simply like to see if others here have experienced the same problem and the outcome you have had; partial/full/no costs paid by VW?

Thanks all
Page 23
    • GreenShaun
    • By GreenShaun 25th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GreenShaun
    I have the standard EGR valve issue on my 12 plate 45k miles Gold MK6. According the the garage it's been diagnosed as a sensor issue. My third party warranty company are unwilling to pay out as they claim it is a know fault.

Does anybody know what constitutes a 'known fault' as surely VW would have to accept this which doesn't seem to be the case.

All help much appreciated.

Shaun
    • WLU51
    • By WLU51 29th Aug 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WLU51
    Hi, I have a Mk6 Golf 2.0 TDI 11 plate and recently had a misfire after a cold start. Took it to a local garage who immediately said it was an EGR fault which looked at being a £300+ bill from a local independent garage. At the time, no engine warning light was being displayed so he suggested to keep running it until a light appeared.

By sheer coincidence, a letter arrived from VW saying that as I had had the software update nearly a year ago, they were offering a 'goodwill' policy that IF a fault occured linked to the EGR, injection system etc, they would look at this for me and investigate it.

So, range the VW number and logged a 'complaint' that my car had developed a fault, got a claim number, took the car down to my local dealership explaining I had the letter and a claim number, left it with them and they sorted it all out, free of charge. There was a fault with both the EGR, and an injector causing the misfire. No questions asked, they did the lot with not a penny to pay.

My advice - if you took it in for the software to be sorted when they were recalled, contact VW and get your car sorted as part of their 'goodwill' offering. I rang the Diesel Hotline number: 0800 093 0145 to raise a complaint, they give you a number and then contact your local dealer. Hope that helps
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 29th Aug 17, 12:55 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    I have the standard EGR valve issue on my 12 plate 45k miles Gold MK6. According the the garage it's been diagnosed as a sensor issue. My third party warranty company are unwilling to pay out as they claim it is a know fault.

Does anybody know what constitutes a 'known fault' as surely VW would have to accept this which doesn't seem to be the case.

All help much appreciated.

Shaun
    Originally posted by GreenShaun
    I think your warranty company are trying it on. They knew what car you bought the warranty for, so if it was a 'known fault' they should have listed it as an exclusion in the policy. Ask them to point out where in the policy this is excluded.
    • polaiviern
    • By polaiviern 30th Nov 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    polaiviern
    Egr valve replaced free of charge
    A couple of weeks ago, my 2010 VW Golf (140k miles) began showing a number of warning lights and went into ‘limp mode’. I did some research and came across this thread. The symptoms I was experiencing were similar to others who had the issue diagnosed as a fault with the EGR value. Thinking I would be in for an expensive repair, I tried a run on the motorway at high revs. No success there. I’d read about Volkswagen offering to pay 100% of parts and 50% of labour and so hoped I too could save money in that way. I took it to my local Volkswagen dealer with whom I have a good relationship and explained the issue. They ran diagnostics the next day and then delivered a free loan car... I was shocked! It was clear that Volkswagen were to blame. I had the loan car for almost a week before they returned my car with a new EGR valve, FREE OF CHARGE. The invoice detailed that it was warranty work and out of goodwill there was no charge. Nothing to place any blame on Volkswagen. I was both relieved and amazed that they had undertaken a £1500+ repair and provided a free loan car considering my car is 7 years old and has done 140k miles (well out of the warranty period). It was quietly explained to me that the fault was related to the NOx recall. I would advise anyone who experiences this issue in future to take your car straight to your local VW dealer. With any luck, you too will be provided with a free loan car whilst your car is repaired ‘under warranty’.

My experience with VW replacing the EGR for free may too benefit those who in the past have paid for the repair. I read one post that said Volkswagen would refund any customers who’d paid for the repair if there was an official recall... although my car was not repaired as part of a recall, it shows that Volkswagen are to blame for these EGR value faults and so it may be possible to recover the cost of the repair.

A brief side note; at the time of the EGR valve fault, my car too needed a new clutch and dual-mass flywheel. I was quoted £1650 with labor at an eye watering £144/hour! After consulting with the service manager, for a loyal customer their best price was just under £1400. A few phone calls later, I had a quote for £734. That’s over £900 saved. This makes Volkswagen’s offer to replace the EGR valve for free even more astonishing. They’re no charity...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

2,692Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin