Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • randomguy82
    • By randomguy82 19th Dec 13, 9:54 AM
    • 92Posts
    • 27Thanks
    randomguy82
    Mk6 Golf and EGR valve issues
    • 19th Dec 13, 9:54 AM
    Mk6 Golf and EGR valve issues 19th Dec 13 at 9:54 AM
    Hi all

Looking to see if anyone here has experienced a particular fault (which appears to be common after reading many car forums) with Mk6 (2009-2012) VW Golfs. The part in question is the 'EGR Valve' and literally, when it fails, the car will not move.
    The engine turns over, no unexpected lights/warnings, gears are fine and basically, when you release the clutch while pressing down on the accelerator, the engine revs but the car does not physically move.

As you've guessed, I have the exact problem now and going back-and-forth between the local VW dealership and VW Customer Care to reach an acceptable decision on repair costs. The part itself is mechanical so not what I feel is usual 'wear and tear'. Being a Golf which is meant to be renowned for good engineering and having older Golfs where this has never occurred, I feel something like this should not fail 10 months out of warranty. Also, the part when now replaced is with a modified version which to me highlights there were issues with the original part.

Many may feel and say the EGR valve is not needed and can be bypassed; however that is not something I would like to do at present. I would simply like to see if others here have experienced the same problem and the outcome you have had; partial/full/no costs paid by VW?

Thanks all
Page 21
    • MrBentOvertheBarrel
    • By MrBentOvertheBarrel 22nd Feb 17, 12:54 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrBentOvertheBarrel
    @ipjeffrey

Does not work. I was sent on my way to find alternative support to fix my vehicle.

VW EGR valve went pop and they (VW) refused outright to assist with the reduction of payment.

ECU Fix - During the MOT I flat out refused the fix. I asked the lady to NOT do the fix in anyway shape or form.
    • MrBentOvertheBarrel
    • By MrBentOvertheBarrel 22nd Feb 17, 12:57 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrBentOvertheBarrel
    @randomguy82

I had the EGR valve melt a couple of weeks back.

VW would not help other than charging me £1000 + for the replacement of said valve.

Despite the known issue they do not admit or recognise this as a common fault

Good luck with your car.
    • MrBentOvertheBarrel
    • By MrBentOvertheBarrel 22nd Feb 17, 1:02 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrBentOvertheBarrel
    All in all I feel like VW have done me over as a customer.

EGR left me high and dry
    ECU cheated me

Why is nothing more being done about this. They have essentially lied to customers to sell vehicles and refusing to help when something they have caused breaks. The UK is in a shocking state if we cannot stanby this and win.
    • shaikhy
    • By shaikhy 23rd Feb 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shaikhy
    MK6 golf second hand owner with EGR issue
    Hi randomguy,

I own a similar car to yours and have run into the same problem, i wanted to ask if you're the first owner and the car was under warranty at the time when you had the work done by vw? based on the comments on this thread and many other, a lot of vw owners are having this problem. my fear is as i'm the second hand owner, and the cars done 87k mileage no longer under warranty. will i be able to get a similar price quote to yours.
    • randomguy82
    • By randomguy82 24th Feb 17, 3:18 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    randomguy82
    Hi Shaikhy

I was the first owner of the car, but it was out of warranty. Based on the various replies by others, there are loads of different circumstances and lots of different outcomes.
    The main thing we all want, appears to be VW admitting fault and a fixed rule for all. It's shocking they are still acting the same way they did when I raised this to them back in December 2013 and started this thread off.
    • MrBentOvertheBarrel
    • By MrBentOvertheBarrel 1st Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrBentOvertheBarrel
    I'm disgusted at the lack of any customer care on this. I was outright rejected by VW dealer and VW head office when I was having the EGR valve issue. To the point the person in the VW dealership all but called me a liar.

That coupled with mixed methods in dealing with this issue. Finding myself at the roughest end of the stick. Such a shame they're continue to compound the issues they're having with poor customer care. Anyone would have thought they didn't want customers to return.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 1st Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 10,899 Posts
    • 6,059 Thanks
    Strider590
    I'm disgusted at the lack of any customer care on this. I was outright rejected by VW dealer and VW head office when I was having the EGR valve issue. To the point the person in the VW dealership all but called me a liar.

That coupled with mixed methods in dealing with this issue. Finding myself at the roughest end of the stick. Such a shame they're continue to compound the issues they're having with poor customer care. Anyone would have thought they didn't want customers to return.
    Originally posted by MrBentOvertheBarrel
    Well you know what to do, tell everyone you know. VW are not going to improve their service and/or product until that undeserved 30 year old myth of solid reliability has been crushed.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • quentins_uk
    • By quentins_uk 2nd Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quentins_uk
    same problem - EGR valve
    2012 2.0 Golf Match TDI with low mileage. When we bought it, he advised that we'd need to do regular motorway runs every so often. I asked if running it down the local 10 mile stretch once a fortnight would suffice and he said yes. We had been doing that.

Car went into limp mode two days running a few weeks ago, but since has been fine. I fear it happening again so got the dealer to have a look and they say EGR valve is blocked.

I feel quite fortunate having read through this and other forums that both parts/labour will be covered as a goodwill gesture "as we have had full dealership service history". Will have to pay for the diagnostic test at c£90.

I'd sell it but I was hoping to get some compensation from the depreciation drop due to the emissions scandal. I am disgusted that VW UK are not offering anything and will not buy from the group again (previous cars all VAG group)
    • Dan2778
    • By Dan2778 3rd Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dan2778
    Hi, I have a 62 plate 1.6tdi golf and been advised it's my Egr valve with fault code 7343 it's in limp mode and the Dpf warning light has also come on. My car also falls under this emissions scandal. full vw service history too, does anyone know if any of these are linked with the emission issue and are VW offering any discount for the fault with the egr as I've been quoted £1k by Bromley VW.. Any advice would be helpful please as want this done ASAP but could do without this expensive outlay..
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 4th Mar 17, 12:25 AM
    • 10,899 Posts
    • 6,059 Thanks
    Strider590
    Hi, I have a 62 plate 1.6tdi golf and been advised it's my Egr valve with fault code 7343 it's in limp mode and the Dpf warning light has also come on. My car also falls under this emissions scandal. full vw service history too, does anyone know if any of these are linked with the emission issue and are VW offering any discount for the fault with the egr as I've been quoted £1k by Bromley VW.. Any advice would be helpful please as want this done ASAP but could do without this expensive outlay..
    Originally posted by Dan2778
    Not really.......

BUT I used to repair PCs and I once replaced someone faulty DVD drive, only to have them phone me 2 weeks later complaining that MS office had stopped working, demanding I fix it because I was the last person to do anything to it.

The emissions issue was such that when stationary for more than a few minutes, it would alter the ignition/emissions systems to make it produce a false result. A failure of DPF is most likely down to improper use, not doing enough mileage to regen the DPF.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 4th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 28,856 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    I've had numerous issues with this particular dealership where I bought my car. I am getting rid of my VW and I would never ever buy one again after the way we have been treated.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 4th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 2,342 Thanks
    sheramber
    Have you had the fix done?
    • GlosLoneRanger
    • By GlosLoneRanger 14th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GlosLoneRanger
    My car has been out of action for three weeks now stuck with one garage and now at my local Volkswagen garage (Evesham). They have said they would cover 90% of costs (Parts and Labour). I am not sure if this is something specific to VW in Evesham, but may act as a precedent for anyone else with EGR problems.

There is a shortage of EGR Valves hence why I am having to wait so long. This must be a serious problem for VW hence why they are offering 90% goodwill towards it. I just wonder whether I can get more!
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 15th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 11,494 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    jimjames
    Why pay £1000 when you can have it remapped out for £120?

You can fit a blanking plate to seal it off or just get it mapped out. Easy job to sort and far cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcq_uBg3jXM
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • tedted
    • By tedted 15th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    tedted
    Why pay £1000 when you can have it remapped out for £120?

You can fit a blanking plate to seal it off or just get it mapped out. Easy job to sort and far cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcq_uBg3jXM
    Originally posted by jimjames
    have you done it then
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 16th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 11,494 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    jimjames
    have you done it then
    Originally posted by tedted
    Yes. Error cleared and car is running absolutely fine.
    • tedted
    • By tedted 16th Mar 17, 5:45 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    tedted
    the egr valve on the golfs that are giving trouble is at the back of the engine and i dont think you can fit a blanking plate to them because of how they are fitted
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 16th Mar 17, 5:53 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    mac.d
    Apparently you can blank them off, but while its a lot cheaper than the replacement, its still fairly costly due to the time & difficulty in getting to it.

I've possibly got this issue with my Golf, and it's not yet been for the emissions fix.

My next car won't be a VW.
    • rakzdiu
    • By rakzdiu 20th Mar 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rakzdiu
    I have same issue.

I drive VW Golf 2010 Plate but 2011 Model 140BHP done Just over 46k.
    Since It has been that Emission Test I have been getting this issue. And for all it only appears to happen when I am driving on Motorway for between 2-4 hours journey.

Today I was driving to Luton from Leicester about 75 miles. From Leicester to Luton no issues but on the return Just after 5miles from Luton it started. To get away I did reset by Turning the KEY OFF and ON while driving on third or 2nd lane between 80-95mph.

I had similar issues on Motorways about 2-3 times in last 2 month. After reading all of your reply on this thread I have to take couple steps toward VW.

Thank you everyone. I will update anything that comes out with cost and what they have to say. I will be dealing with VW at Leicester.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 20th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 11,494 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    jimjames
    the egr valve on the golfs that are giving trouble is at the back of the engine and i dont think you can fit a blanking plate to them because of how they are fitted
    Originally posted by tedted
    But you can still map them out, you don't have to blank them off, you can just tell the engine to use 0% EGR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,696Posts Today

7,362Users online

Martin's Twitter