Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 18th Dec 13, 7:01 PM
    • 4,548Posts
    • 3,923Thanks
    00ec25
    painting the inside of a microwave oven
    • 18th Dec 13, 7:01 PM
    painting the inside of a microwave oven 18th Dec 13 at 7:01 PM
    have posted here as a start point as its sort of DIY related

googling suggests that it is possible to repaint the interior of a (kitchen) microwave oven using, as you'd expect, paint able to stand high temperatures and not give off fumes. However I can't find any listed products or sources other than from USA websites

Can anyone suggest a UK source of such paint please
Page 2
    • 27col
    • By 27col 19th Dec 13, 5:32 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    27col
    I would think that appliance paint is intended for use on the outside of an appliance.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
    • aloiseb
    • By aloiseb 19th Dec 13, 6:00 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    aloiseb
    be careful
    I would have a fire extinguisher handy the first time you use it afterwards, just in case there is a build-up of fumes inside.

Don't they sometimes make things differently in the USA? I think their regulations, manufacture etc are likely to be rather different from ours - so maybe it's fine to paint the inside of a US microwave?
    • krisdorey
    • By krisdorey 19th Dec 13, 6:06 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 2,687 Thanks
    krisdorey
    I would think that appliance paint is intended for use on the outside of an appliance.
    Originally posted by 27col
    Meh, as long as its an acrylic enamel then its the same stuff they paint at the factory. That's why I advised they check the compound of the paint.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 19th Dec 13, 6:39 PM
    • 22,059 Posts
    • 56,510 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The question is a joke, eh?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • krisdorey
    • By krisdorey 19th Dec 13, 6:46 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 2,687 Thanks
    krisdorey
    Why?

Although I wouldn't do it myself as

1) I would be concerned that I wouldn't still get the right paint despite research and
    2) My painting resembles that of throwing an entire tin of paint at the surface and hoping some sticks

There is no reason why you couldn't respray the inside surface of a microwave.

People seem to be under the misconception that a microwave will produce heat, it will only heat things which have moisture in them. If the paint is fully cured and is not water based (and not base oil either) then the microwave wont heat it.

I'd assume the OP has a paint spray atomiser given he refurbishes old cars.

Still wouldn't do it though, but it is possible
  • wallbash
    People seem to be under the misconception that a microwave will produce heat, it will only heat things which have moisture in them. If the paint is fully cured and is not water based (and not base oil either) then the microwave wont heat it.
    I think you are under the misconception that we don't know that.......we all do , we just still think is not on.

Spend £10 and refurbish?????? an old microwave when for a very little more you could have a new model which would last years.

The idea is still stupid and NOT price justified.
    • krisdorey
    • By krisdorey 19th Dec 13, 7:18 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 2,687 Thanks
    krisdorey
    The people who seem to think it will give off fumes obviously aren't aware, if there is no moisture then there is no heat, thus there is no fumes. Also the latex primer and acrylic paint is whats used in a factory so why would there be "fumes" or need for an extinguisher?

The idea may well be "stupid" and Ive said I certainly wouldn't do it but it's not impossible.

If it was a fitted unusual sized expensive microwave then I could see the attraction of redoing a paint finish if I had the knowledge and tools to do so.

The question was raised, is it possible, the answer is yes as described by a few. The OP can then make his/her mind up as to whether it is sensible or price justified.
    • Perfect10
    • By Perfect10 19th Dec 13, 10:29 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Perfect10
    I don't think it's a stupid idea, am rather interested in replies as my microwave is losing its paint under the turntable plate. Not only does it look a mess but seems like rust is starting to appear. Microwave is only a couple of years old and if I can repaint for a fiver I would rather do that than replace a perfectly working microwave...
    Looking for the sunshine after the rain

Dealing with debt £1800 paid / £1800 cc
    Now aiming to be mortgage free...figures to follow
    • mttylad
    • By mttylad 20th Dec 13, 9:24 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    mttylad
    I think you are under the misconception that we don't know that.......we all do , we just still think is not on.

Spend £10 and refurbish?????? an old microwave when for a very little more you could have a new model which would last years.

The idea is still stupid and NOT price justified.
    Originally posted by wallbash
    How do you know that the OP can afford a new microwave?
    Not everyone can afford to throw away stuff and buy new (like you) just because of a small issue.

Last years? not blooming likely.

Electrical equipment life is getting shorter and shorter as they are getting cheaper and cheaper to make (yet the price still goes up).

Repairing electrical equipment is NOT stupid, we would replace elements in conventional ovens, jets on gas ovens, heaters in tumble driers, thermocouples in combi boilers et all.
    So repairing another piece of equipment is not stupid - its sensible especially when there are NO negative efects when done correctly.

Clean and dry the area, prime, paint with a few thin coats, leave to dry (48hrs at least).

This will give a coating of only a few microns thick, not a blobby lump of paint.

The first use should be done using something like a jug of water etc.

And STILL - NO ONE has given anything other than urban myth type reasons for not doing it.

My own microwave cost me about £45 from Asda 2 years ago, the turntable has worn away the paint underneath it and guess what I will be doing with it. (not getting a new one for starters.)
  • borim
    Surely repairing microwave if possible is responsible action in this throw away world
    Am all for it - actually planning to do the same - did it work out
    Was thinking about using nail varnish but enamel paints might work
    after all it does not get real hot inside that is the point of microwaves innit

dying to hear how it turns out
    • lessbigal
    • By lessbigal 6th Dec 15, 11:45 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lessbigal
    Ok to paint microwave.
    Of course its ok to paint it. But sooner is better than later. Only really worth it if you touch up small areas before they get too big. Usually occurs where the plate carrier rolls over the base. Any rust should be treated first. Acrylic enamels are ok. Can be bought very cheaply if you look around. Internet sites charge postage and won't be cheap. Probabley worth replacing your wave guide screen. These are only £2.50 from ebay if you cut it to size yourself.
    Generally microwaves will last a long time if you clean them. Leave open to let out water vapour when you have used them. Check the wheels on the plate support are rolling freely.
    • zax47
    • By zax47 6th Dec 15, 12:59 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    zax47
    I'm fairly sure that in the TWO YEARS since the question was asked, that the OP has proceeded to paint it, or not, - seeing as he hasn't told us in the intervening period maybe it went badly??
    • patman99
    • By patman99 6th Dec 15, 7:51 PM
    • 7,968 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    patman99
    I googled the same question a few months back and one of the top answers came from a company I had had dealings with in a previous employment.
    From memory, the company was Mettlab are are considered THE experts in microwaves in all areas. Their technician stated that bog standard enamel paint like Hammerite smooth was perfectly safe for the task and he had painted the inside of his microwave oven without any issues.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £244/ £1000 (that's 24.4%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • 1st_johnnymac
    • By 1st_johnnymac 2nd Apr 16, 11:24 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    1st_johnnymac
    Replies
    Thank you Patman

Google Microwave Repair Paint and this is No 2 About 527,000 results

Many of the posters should be ashamed of their attitude and would have been more at home in a Microwave Marketing Forum and for those suggesting danger and at the worst explosions !

WTF??? If you know Sweet Fanny Addams about a subject why post??? I hope the thousands who found this thread via Google were not put off too much and found Patman's post useful
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 2nd Apr 16, 12:05 PM
    • 26,968 Posts
    • 92,384 Thanks
    Person_one
    would have been more at home in a Microwave Marketing Forum
    Originally posted by 1st_johnnymac
    Oh please tell me one exists!
    • Jayiceman
    • By Jayiceman 17th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jayiceman
    Ok this thread is probably old, stainless steel microwave have no paint inside, also the microwave that do are for cosmetics consumers to look good, if there is paint for inside microwaves and its safe to use then why not. The companys would not made a microwave with metal inside for it to arc if the paint comes of that would be dangerous, just look inside stainless steel one ?
    Save up buy a stainless one no paint to bubble and peel if not wiped out every use
    • Harryp_24
    • By Harryp_24 18th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Harryp_24
    dude theyre like 15 quid...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,437Users online

Martin's Twitter