Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 10
    • diamond57
    • By diamond57 8th Nov 16, 7:52 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    diamond57
    Looking at split season tickets, weekly ones, I was wondering how it works when not continuous. Do you know if you can get them posted to you, or collected at a station not on that part of the journey?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Nov 16, 9:18 PM
    • 18,377 Posts
    • 15,257 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Looking at split season tickets, weekly ones, I was wondering how it works when not continuous. Do you know if you can get them posted to you, or collected at a station not on that part of the journey?
    Originally posted by diamond57
    Any season ticket can be bought from any ticket office.

What do you mean by 'not continuous'?
    Obviously you must have tickets to cover the whole of your journey, but it is unclear, when using two season tickets, whether your train must stop at the point where you change from one ticket to another.
    The rules on this changed on 1st October this year. See condition 14 et al in The National Rail Conditions of Travel.
    • diamond57
    • By diamond57 9th Nov 16, 6:18 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    diamond57
    Thank you. By not continuous I meant that there will be a gap between the tickets, buying them every other week. The station that I will be travelling from is unmanned, so I will have to travel a bit further the night /day before each one to buy it then it seems, but that is no headache.
    • AnorakNerd
    • By AnorakNerd 9th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnorakNerd
    Weird stuff
    Tried to book an advance train ticket from Leeds to Brough. (For those who don't know, Brough is on the way to Hull.)

An advance ticket on the day and time I want to travel is £13.

I decide however that I might go "all the way" and buy a ticket to Hull. The same train will now cost me only £12.50. And I can get off one stop earlier.

I tried the same using MSE's Tickety Snip. The same thing happens, except that the mid-way stage shows the 2nd class prices in error.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 9th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    yorkie2
    When are you travelling?
    • AnorakNerd
    • By AnorakNerd 10th Mar 17, 6:28 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnorakNerd
    When am I travelling?
    3 May 2017
    • russellelly
    • By russellelly 16th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    russellelly
    Tried to book an advance train ticket from Leeds to Brough. (For those who don't know, Brough is on the way to Hull.)

An advance ticket on the day and time I want to travel is £13.

I decide however that I might go "all the way" and buy a ticket to Hull. The same train will now cost me only £12.50. And I can get off one stop earlier.

I tried the same using MSE's Tickety Snip. The same thing happens, except that the mid-way stage shows the 2nd class prices in error.
    Originally posted by AnorakNerd
    In theory you can't get off a stop earlier - it's against the T&Cs of an Advance ticket. If there are barriers then they may well not accept your ticket. I'm not sure what would happen in practice, of course.

On the topic of the tool, Virgin (West Coast) have trains on sale into July and August, but TicketSplit won't let me select a date past mid-June
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 16th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 8,820 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    Try trainsplit.com - it seems to be much much better than teh MSE tool.
    Northern Northern Northern.
    • cdsmith15
    • By cdsmith15 21st Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cdsmith15
    Just tried it. Failed.

Ayr to Montrose £48.60 single.
    Ayr to Perth £14.30 then Perth to Montrose £13.40= £27.70.
    Not picked up by the ticket split. Also booked it on CrossCountry Trains app, no booking fee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,168Posts Today

6,365Users online

Martin's Twitter