Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 10
    • diamond57
    • By diamond57 8th Nov 16, 7:52 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    diamond57
    Looking at split season tickets, weekly ones, I was wondering how it works when not continuous. Do you know if you can get them posted to you, or collected at a station not on that part of the journey?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Nov 16, 9:18 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Looking at split season tickets, weekly ones, I was wondering how it works when not continuous. Do you know if you can get them posted to you, or collected at a station not on that part of the journey?
    Originally posted by diamond57
    Any season ticket can be bought from any ticket office.

What do you mean by 'not continuous'?
    Obviously you must have tickets to cover the whole of your journey, but it is unclear, when using two season tickets, whether your train must stop at the point where you change from one ticket to another.
    The rules on this changed on 1st October this year. See condition 14 et al in The National Rail Conditions of Travel.
    • diamond57
    • By diamond57 9th Nov 16, 6:18 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    diamond57
    Thank you. By not continuous I meant that there will be a gap between the tickets, buying them every other week. The station that I will be travelling from is unmanned, so I will have to travel a bit further the night /day before each one to buy it then it seems, but that is no headache.
    • AnorakNerd
    • By AnorakNerd 9th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnorakNerd
    Weird stuff
    Tried to book an advance train ticket from Leeds to Brough. (For those who don't know, Brough is on the way to Hull.)

An advance ticket on the day and time I want to travel is £13.

I decide however that I might go "all the way" and buy a ticket to Hull. The same train will now cost me only £12.50. And I can get off one stop earlier.

I tried the same using MSE's Tickety Snip. The same thing happens, except that the mid-way stage shows the 2nd class prices in error.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 9th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    yorkie2
    When are you travelling?
    • AnorakNerd
    • By AnorakNerd 10th Mar 17, 6:28 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnorakNerd
    When am I travelling?
    3 May 2017
    • russellelly
    • By russellelly 16th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    russellelly
    Tried to book an advance train ticket from Leeds to Brough. (For those who don't know, Brough is on the way to Hull.)

An advance ticket on the day and time I want to travel is £13.

I decide however that I might go "all the way" and buy a ticket to Hull. The same train will now cost me only £12.50. And I can get off one stop earlier.

I tried the same using MSE's Tickety Snip. The same thing happens, except that the mid-way stage shows the 2nd class prices in error.
    Originally posted by AnorakNerd
    In theory you can't get off a stop earlier - it's against the T&Cs of an Advance ticket. If there are barriers then they may well not accept your ticket. I'm not sure what would happen in practice, of course.

On the topic of the tool, Virgin (West Coast) have trains on sale into July and August, but TicketSplit won't let me select a date past mid-June
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 16th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    Try trainsplit.com - it seems to be much much better than teh MSE tool.
    Northern Northern Northern.
    • cdsmith15
    • By cdsmith15 21st Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cdsmith15
    Just tried it. Failed.

Ayr to Montrose £48.60 single.
    Ayr to Perth £14.30 then Perth to Montrose £13.40= £27.70.
    Not picked up by the ticket split. Also booked it on CrossCountry Trains app, no booking fee.
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 26th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    doleawg
    Meant as constructive feedback. I trusted martin, I love splitting train tickets, it is genius but the new tool is sponsored and that makes me distrust it, anti the ethos of moneysaving expert.

I ahve tested the new one a few times and it has failed too often for me to bother now. I still have the old one bookmarked and it works great.

You need to go back to the old one and work on that.
    • bartonhillbum
    • By bartonhillbum 4th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bartonhillbum
    I have just tried to book a ticket from Bristol Lawrence Hill to Grantham for Sep 22nd returning on the 24th Sep The Return fare on National rail is £76.35 On the MSE/Trainline site the single fare is £51.35 PLUS £O.70 + £1.50 SO HOW MUCH FOR A RETURN ?
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 4th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    yorkie2
    I have just tried to book a ticket from Bristol Lawrence Hill to Grantham for Sep 22nd returning on the 24th Sep The Return fare on National rail is £76.35
    Originally posted by bartonhillbum
    A flexible Off Peak return is £80.70 (avoiding London; ie via Birmingham) or £115.70 (via London), if you can travel at the applicable off-peak times. I can't find a £76.35 fare.
    On the MSE/Trainline site the single fare is £51.35 PLUS £O.70 + £1.50 SO HOW MUCH FOR A RETURN ?
    Originally posted by bartonhillbum
    The new Trainsplit site finds a combination of flexible fares, via Birmingham totalling £77.01.

If you can tie yourself to specific trains, it may be worth waiting a week or two for non-refundable 'booked train only' Advance Single fares to become available.

Currently, Advance Single fares are available on some of the operators on the relevant routes, but not all.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 5th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 19,477 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Can someone explain. Imagine a journey that involves two legs where included is a change of London station via underground (say Kings Cross to Paddington). I have looked at the fact that when you split the journey into the two rail trips it suggest you are paying £8 for the underground transfer which would not cost anything like that with Oyster. Why is this - is it because buying the rail tickets inclusive of the transfer via London underground offers more protections if things go wrong or am I missing something?
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 5th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Can someone explain. Imagine a journey that involves two legs where included is a change of London station via underground (say Kings Cross to Paddington). I have looked at the fact that when you split the journey into the two rail trips it suggest you are paying £8 for the underground transfer which would not cost anything like that with Oyster. Why is this - is it because buying the rail tickets inclusive of the transfer via London underground offers more protections if things go wrong or am I missing something?
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog
    The Underground cash fare between Kings Cross and Paddington is £4.90 per person each way.

How does 'it' know you are planning to use Oyster?
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 5th Jul 17, 2:09 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 19,477 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    The Underground cash fare between Kings Cross and Paddington is £4.90 per person each way.

How does 'it' know you are planning to use Oyster?
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Well it wouldn't know you're planning to use oyster...it wouldn't know you even had the requirement to transfer if buying tickets separately but it is the disparity that I'm querying... as you point out even the most expensive fare... cash... would be less than the price included for transfer..... there must be some explanation for that or is it simple excessive profit making from this element of the journey.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 05-07-2017 at 2:14 PM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 5th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Well it wouldn't know you're planning to use oyster...it wouldn't know you even had the requirement to transfer if buying tickets separately but it is the disparity that I'm querying... as you point out even the most expensive fare... cash... would be less than the price included for transfer..... there must be some explanation for that or is it simple excessive profit making from this element of the journey.
    Sorry, I can't offer a more detailed explanation without knowing your journey.

Where does your £8 figure come from?

Where are you planning travelling from and to?
    How many travellers?
    • rozeepozee
    • By rozeepozee 5th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 16,696 Thanks
    rozeepozee
    Frustrating - why does it never work for me??
    Tried three different searches and repreatedly got a "Oops! Something went wrong" message. WHAT is going wrong?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 5th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Tried three different searches and repreatedly got a "Oops! Something went wrong" message. WHAT is going wrong?
    Originally posted by rozeepozee
    Try using Trainsplit instead - it seems to be more robust.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 5th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 19,477 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Sorry, I can't offer a more detailed explanation without knowing your journey.

Where does your £8 figure come from?

Where are you planning travelling from and to?
    How many travellers?
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    No worries.
    Let's take Newcastle to Par (Cornwall) single trip single person no concessions
    Take 9th Sep 2017

Trainline.com (and others) show a decent deal £66.50 to travel 05.59 Newcastle to London KC, Tube London KC to London Paddington, 10.06 London Paddington to Par arriving 14.05

However, if you look at buying the first leg of this trip alone it is £28. If you look at buying the last leg of the trip alone it is £22.50.

So if you bought the tickets excluding the London underground part the journey would cost £50.50. This implies they're charging £16 for the underground transfer - a single trip from London KC to Paddington. In an earlier scan today with a different date I did the same trip comparison and the Newcastle - London leg was £36 (£8 more than the example I've used here) instead meaning the underground transfer appeared to be charged as £8 which still seems excessive unless benefits are conveyed by having the underground phase of the trip included in the booking.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 05-07-2017 at 7:25 PM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 5th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    No worries.
    Let's take Newcastle to Par (Cornwall) single trip single person no concessions
    Take 9th Sep 2017

Trainline.com (and others) show a decent deal £66.50 to travel 05.59 Newcastle to London KC, Tube London KC to London Paddington, 10.06 London Paddington to Par arriving 14.05

However, if you look at buying the first leg of this trip alone it is £28. If you look at buying the last leg of the trip alone it is £22.50.

So if you bought the tickets excluding the London underground part the journey would cost £50.50. This implies they're charging £16 for the underground transfer - a single trip from London KC to Paddington. In an earlier scan today with a different date I did the same trip comparison and the Newcastle - London leg was £36 (£8 more than the example I've used here) instead meaning the underground transfer appeared to be charged as £8 which still seems excessive unless benefits are conveyed by having the underground phase of the trip included in the booking.
    Oh, I see where you are getting the £8 from now.

You cannot use that logic to say it costs £8 to cross London.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,655Posts Today

3,971Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin