Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Selling your stuff on EBID. advice for new sellers
    • 21st Jun 07, 11:05 PM
    Selling your stuff on EBID. advice for new sellers 21st Jun 07 at 11:05 PM
    Thanks to the board guides for permission to start this thread, and thanks to the Amazon thread which has inspired me to provide something similar

Newcomers please read.
    This thread is for discussing our collective attempts to sell succesfully on EBID. The aim of the threads opening postings is to provide help, advice and guidance for sellers using, or considering using EBID to sell.

Intentions for this first post ( which will be regularly edited ) is to provide tips on using EBID as a seller. The tips will include all the following topics and more:
    What it costs to join, what it costs to sell, what works well - and what doesn't! Tips on listing auctions, on using the bulk uploader. Tips on feedback, on ebids 'buddy points system'. Advice on selling strategies. What payment options does ebid accept? what's the verdict on pppay?

I will be editing and adding to this opening post regularly as I get feedback and tips from other users. The second posting in this thread will be used for a FAQ for the most common questions about EBID.

I appreciate EBID is not for everyone, however it is a viable option for some of us, and this thread will help more people avoid the any known problems and make the most of what EBID has to offer.

Important. please read

For those of you who already sell on EBID, This is NOT a thread for plugging individual auctions or shops. Nor is it a promotion thread for ebid. Please keep your postings to the topic of giving advice on selling succesfully on EBID.

For those of you who don't sell on EBID at the moment, but are considering doing so. This is a good place to pose your questions.

For those of you (for whatever reason) don't like EBID and have no intention of selling on EBID. Are you on the right thread?

Who the heck am I and what do I know about EBID?.
    My name is Val. I sell succesfully on EBID, and Amazon predominantly, with some listings on smaller sites too.
    I have been selling on EBID for just over 2 years and have carried out around 2000 transactions there. I am under no illusions about EBID, it's not perfect and I'm often raising unresolved issues on the EBID forums. However EBID does have redeeming features and has some of the qualities that the bigger site has lost long ago. Somewhere along the line I (and others) have started to 'care' about EBID and want it to succeed. I'm starting this thread because EBID - love it or hate it- should have a place here!
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Third update. 25th June

EBID : Wilkpedia definition

eBid is an online auction website founded in December 1998.
    eBid operates in ten countries, UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland and five other European countries
    EBID owns its own online payment service Pppay to allow for buyers and sellers to pay each other in Euros and Pounds Sterling, although members are not restricted to using this form of payment.
    Unlike eBay, listing a basic auction on eBid is free and a small percentage final value fee is paid on selling your item.
    Currently eBid has 3 membership levels available for new members,
    Bronze (free) buyer only,
    Silver (free but requires credit/debit card verification) occasional seller, final value fee's are 3% but the seller has a restricted range of options at the moment, but these are due to be improved soon.
    Gold not available to new members.
    Platinum subscription based membership aimed at professional sellers with a recurring fee, payable every 7,30,90 or 365 days, OR a one off lifetime payment (currently less than £100.00).
    Platinum members can open up to 5 shops free. For a basic auction Platinum members pay no fee, for a gallery one they pay 2% fvf. Options like BIN only auctions & Run until Sold, are also available for free.

Thanks to jmccarmods for summerising on the following table what each membership level gives in terms of selling features:

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Getting around EBID

Once you've set up your account you can access lots of useful information by clicking on the 'My ebid' tab near the top of anyy ebid page.
    From here members can control all aspects of their eBid account using the sub menu which is displayed:

'My Gallery' Here's where you upload photos for use in your auctions.

'My All About' Here's where you can tell buyers about you as a seller, for example what your returns policies are, whether you offer combined postage etc.. TIP. Do take a little time to complete this page- especially if you have no feedback as this will help you gain some buyer confidence

'eBid Stores' Platinum users can create up to 5 stores. It's very easy to do, although you will need to make or acquire your own store banner to display

'My Buddy Points' eBid's Loyalty scheme. - will be covered later

'My WatchList' List of auctions you are watching.

'My Interests' keyword mailing facility. ( doesn't work that well!)

'My Emails' choose which emails you wish to receive.

'My Subscriptions' Review & update your registered credit cards and subscriptions.

'My Feedback' Post, monitor, request and edit feedback. Tip. The edit facility is useful

'My Money' View your statement and invoices.

'My BulkUpload' Here's where you find the dowmloadable upload spreadsheet.

'My Defaults' Set defaults here. Tip You can make your own default listing templates plus set other choices such as how your visitor counts work

'My Favourites' Keep track of your best sellers, stores and searches.

'My Personal Details' edit or change your address, email and password.

.................................................. .................................................. ...

EBID help and FAQ.
    Here's a direct link to the EBID help and FAQ .

Potentual sellers will find some answers there, however in my experience they do not cover everything so I will continue to add to this page and answer queries posted.
    Last edited by val4xx; 25-06-2007 at 8:11 AM. Reason: second update
Page 38
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 5,944 Posts
    • 51,612 Thanks
    I have kept a listing on there just to keep tabs on views but have done no marketing or advertising. I think we've had 3 sales since last summer and I have bought nothing because whenever I search, I either don't find what I'm looking for or else I find it at a ridiculous price. I tried for years to support the site, still do whenever I can, but it isn't easy and it isn't possible for me to sustain any sort of reliable income from there. However, I still think it is a good price for what you get by way of secure listing space for shop fronts and transactions if you are running an online store and doing your own promotions and publicity. I think it might be tme to experiment again, just to find out if buyers are finding the stuff.

I feel another little challenge coming on...
    • RFW
    • By RFW 5th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 8,610 Posts
    • 5,013 Thanks
    However, I still think it is a good price for what you get by way of secure listing space for shop fronts and transactions if you are running an online store and doing your own promotions and publicity. I think it might be tme to experiment again, just to find out if buyers are finding the stuff.
    Originally posted by Frugaldom
    Just use a site that lets you set up your own shop if you can drive your own traffic. Several free to use ones available and others with relatively low cost.
    • Mayday
    • By Mayday 26th Feb 18, 7:27 AM
    • 555 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Nearly forgot - YDC162 is in full swing.

This month's featured charity is Myeloma UK
    the only organisation in the UK dealing exclusively with myeloma.

#eBidYDC #YDCFundraising #YourDonationCounts #MondayMotivation
    Last edited by Mayday; 26-02-2018 at 7:29 AM.
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 6th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    Just left (positive) feedback for my recent purchase on eBid. I see that it's seven years since my last purchase :-0
    • mrsk
    • By mrsk 14th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    How I sell on eBid
    I have been selling & buying on ebid for over 10 years.
    I have 2 accounts, one is for charity and a total feedback of over 5000 (it's more than that but some feedback on one account was moved in from eBay).

I sell mostly collectables and the advice is "list tons, use buy it now and be prepared to wait".

If you need the money quickly or the item out of your life quickly or the item will go out of fashion then eBid is not the place for you.

However, to sell postcards, knitting patterns or stamps, because listing is free (you need to pay the seller+ fee to get a gallery picture or nothing will sell), I can list everything in sight and I sell regularly.
    • mylovelystuffuk
    • By mylovelystuffuk 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    I have been an ebid member for more than 10 years and returned to selling there in 2016 after retiring from work and following a major health crisis.

I came out of retirement as I remembered how much I loved the site and the friendly people who also list there,

All of my feedback is from eBid as none are imported and I now see eBid as my main selling home.
    Last edited by mylovelystuffuk; 14-03-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,341Users online

Martin's Twitter