Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 27th Nov 13, 2:36 PM
    • 1,990Posts
    • 16,131Thanks
    earthgirl
    Like a Bat out of Hell - EG takes a chance.
    • 27th Nov 13, 2:36 PM
    Like a Bat out of Hell - EG takes a chance. 27th Nov 13 at 2:36 PM
    My new diary is so named as the first morning we woke up in our new house after running out on our old life, we all ended up dancing around the living room playing air guitar to this tune. DH and I had a bit of a moment as reality set in!

We decided fairly quickly to move on from our old secure little life, with reasonably secure income and no mortgage, to take a chance on our dream house by the sea. With a bit of stress and 'homelessness' in the middle we now the owners of a lovely family home on the west coast of Scotland. We had savings of about £250,000 thanks to mse and this board in particular, we have spent about £20,000 on the move itself, and now have to pay off £147,500 for our new mortgage.

Only problem is we have little income as I gave up my job and dh is remodelling his business, but we have lots of positivity and determination!

I'd like to set a target of paying it all off in ten years. I'd like to pay off £10,000 in the next 12 months.

Off we go....

old diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3978475
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k)
    Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House
    Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014)
    Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015)
    Sept 16 - £37,429.63 (£30,422 offset so far in 2016)
    Kids savings 11.8/36k
Page 47
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 16th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Sounds wonderful, EG

Holiday money budgeting has always been my downfall. Before we had the children, DH and I used to go on holiday and not account for the fact that we had to eat out for every meal.
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 18th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 16,131 Thanks
    earthgirl
    We were self catering, so only ate out 3 times, but then we had daily icecreams etc...it all adds up!

So work at Monday was a bit frustrating. I did manage to do shred, listen to Spanish learning cd and do a ms. I also found a gorgeous pair of brown designer suede boots - hardly worn - in cs for £2!

Today I did another MS, managed 3 hours on OHs business and also an hours tutoring. I didn't get to see much of the boys so I'm going to do some quality stuff with them after work tomorrow.

Now I need to get lunches /bags ready for tomorrow. I'm going to do banking then shred again tomorrow, learn more spanish, keep on with my healthy eating and no alcohol, blitz work and quality time with the boys later.

Edit - sorry for the lists but it makes me do it!!
    Kids savings 11.8/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 26,543 Posts
    • 140,122 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lists are indispensible! Keep going
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 19th Oct 16, 5:56 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Sounds like you definitely have your mojo back!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I would be lost without a list, I just wish it would shrink a bit quicker
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 23rd Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 16,131 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks guys, I know listing what I am going to do is boring for everyone else to read, but it helps me so much!!

I've been posting on here for years, and I love the motivation it brings me.

Yes I've got myself back on track.. with the mortgage pay off feeling quite close ... within a couple of years is close for me !

So this week has been fab. £75 tutoring, £75 bnb this weekend, £15 profit from MS. We did a ms on Fri which was a nice meal out for oh and myself. Didn't make any money on it, in fact spent £13, but it was nice to be out with OH and a cheap date.

OH's friends were commenting on how we are 'miserable' with money as we did a ms date on Friday. I said he needed new friends.

About to take the littlies to the park, walk with family on the beach after lunch and then have invited inlaws to Sunday dinner as they babysat on Friday night. Need to do shop and scan as well.

This week I have £100 of tutoring planned in, and a bnb guest staying for the week.

I'd like to do 9 hours on oh's business and keep going with the learning spanish whilst Im driving (could net me tutoring in the future). Keep going with the kids extra reading homework, and quality time with the kids.

My m&s vouchers have come through, so I'm going to use them on buying a heat up dish and invite friends over every now and again...makes us more sociable in winter and doesn't cost much.
    Kids savings 11.8/36k
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid

OH's friends were commenting on how we are 'miserable' with money as we did a ms date on Friday. I said he needed new friends.

Originally posted by earthgirl
    I think this says more about them than you and your OH, I f they need to spend a fortune to have a good time with someone there supposed to love and care about then maybe their relationship/life is not that great.

I think you have a lovely life and maybe there jealous of the fact your life/relationship is a happy one.
    "Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Dream hols fund=Holiday booked
    Hols spending money £2000/£225.40
    Amazon vouchers £15
    • rasputin_thorpedo
    • By rasputin_thorpedo 23rd Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    rasputin_thorpedo
    See who the miserable ones are in ten years...!
    May15 Mortgage - £185k | Dec16 - £162k | Dec17 - £142k | Dec18 - £120k | Dec19 - £97k | Dec20 - £73k | Dec21 - £46k | Dec22 - 18k | May23 - £0 Mortgage Free at 40 in May23!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 24th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    themadvix
    No need to apologise for the lists EG, I know I'm far more accountable for them if I put them on here!

I think it might depend how your DH's friends understood the ms dinner - I know I get far too stressed doing them to want to do it for date night. Trying to remember everything I have to means I wouldn't enjoy it. However, if it works for you in that respect then I can't see the issue - it's excellent money-saving!
    OPs made 2016 = £6171.82
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance December 2016: £105,159.36
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 29th Oct 16, 6:32 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 19,522 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Sorry for the bruises.

So often when parents kick off it is more about them than about you.

DH describes it as playing a game where no one will tell you the rules.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 29th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 33,487 Thanks
    CathT
    It can be difficult not to let other peoples' behaviours influence our own but we dont have to let them. Easier said than done though.

Great extra income this week!
    June 2010 £121,287
    Nov 2016 £84,680
    WIOTW Nov £92,214
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 26,543 Posts
    • 140,122 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds a *very* tough week, earthgirl joining a union sounds like a very good idea in that situation, sadly.

Your "extras" brought in a huge amount of money, by the way, congratulations!
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 29th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Well done on coming through so strongly.m I think joining the union is a good investment. X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 29th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 16,131 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Sorry for the bruises.

So often when parents kick off it is more about them than about you.

DH describes it as playing a game where no one will tell you the rules.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    without actually knowing you're in the game
    Kids savings 11.8/36k
    • Muser1
    • By Muser1 29th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 3,896 Thanks
    Muser1
    You are such a grown up grownup! I feel like I'm playing at it. I find you very inspirational. x
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 Nov 16 88800.34
    Emergency fund 2500.00
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 3rd Nov 16, 8:09 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 16,131 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I am not feeling very grown up today! I'm feeling like I need to rant about my wonderful OH.

Times are hard for his business and whilst we implement a plan, we are tightening our belts as a family, and OH is not taking any pay from his business , Oct and Nov. We will reassess in December. This is all OK, being self employed is like this - this is the first time we have done this for ten years. My pay and my tutoring money just about covers everything for the month if we are very careful. But no contributions to savings or mortgage in the next few months.

Whilst I am fine about this, I am not fine about OH's actions on Saturday. We had friends to eat. OH organised them a taxi and then he went out and paid for their taxi home. I know it's little, but it reminded me of how he likes to show off and pretend he has lots of cash. We talked about it, and I hope the message gets through- we can't splash the cash- and I hope that we are strong enough to work together on this.

So I mentioned somewhere that I'd like to do a weekly grocery (food toiletries and cleaning stuff) for £30/ week, including fruit, veg and fish. I think I've got a menu plan that works, Its not very exciting and features all the standard things- BUT needs to be quick and family friendly for my little ones. This is now a bit of a 'have to' as whilst we are not saving anything and I'm happy with that, I don't want to go into savings.

Breakfasts - porridge is encouraged as its cheap kids put a few raisins in it, or "free" jam sachets.

Lunches - cheese/egg sandwiches, salad, or soup (could be nettle?). Fruit and kids using up Halloween sweets which will last till Xmas!

Week 1 Menu
    Roast chicken, spuds, veg from garden (will forage for veg when I run out of veg in the patch). Freeze a little bit of cooked chicken.
    chicken risotto, foraged salad.
    tuna pasta bake, foraged salad.
    chicken or eggs, salad(foraged) jacket spuds
    fish chips peas (tutoring night)
    spag bol/chilli (can do two portions by bulking out with lentils and freeze one)
    veg pasta

Week 2 Menu
    Roast Pork, spuds, veg from garden (will forage for veg when I run out of veg in the patch).
    Pork risotto, foraged salad.
    tuna salad(foraged) jacket spuds.
    Baked portugese fish, rice
    spag bol/chilli warmed up (tutoring night)
    Stir fry and noodles (with some chicken from last week)
    veg pasta

2 x £3 bottles of wine per week.
    3 x bread per week
    6 pints milk per week.
    Fruit/veg as snack

Bananas are the cheapest fruit (although apples are free at the moment from a few trees). Kids (and I) love carrot sticks as snacks and these are cheaper than other snack fruits. I have learnt how to forage for winter salad greens. I've really enjoyed my early morning walks and looking out for food. I've also started using sachets of condiments -free with work - everyone loves this!

I've dusted with a damp cloth - rather than polish, and I'll use up all the cleaners under the cupboard - don't know why we have so many random things! I'll cut up rags for cloths. I hardly ever buy toiltries and just use free samples/soap from dispensers. I have to buy toothpaste, razors, shave gel for OH and deoderant for OH. I have been using up toner as deoderant for me - seems to work fine and I have bottles of the stuff from when boots was giving it away free with their magazine.

I still have some Mand S vouchers to use - and £10 per month coming in - so that can be used for something grocery wise.

I LOVE a challenge!!
    Last edited by earthgirl; 03-11-2016 at 9:56 PM.
    Kids savings 11.8/36k
    • alb1
    • By alb1 3rd Nov 16, 11:49 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    alb1
    Hi EG,

I've dipped in and out of your story for years and your attitude to money always amazes me (in a good way!). From your reaction to your OH's taxi payment especially I get the impression that you budget like you have no spare cash at all and have to account for every single penny you have, when your OPs suggest that isn't the case at all (Your OPs alone are more than double my salary, although I appreciate that times change and things do seem harder for you at the moment). I wish I could budget the way you do, but unfortunately my brain works in exactly the opposite way and I have to constantly fight it. Every time I need some inspiration to spend better, I come back to your story and read a few posts even if they are really old. I'll never be able to budget the way you do, but you definitely help me to focus when I need it!
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 4th Nov 16, 8:51 AM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi Earthgirl.

I think your amazing on how you budget and manage on so little, your meal plan looks great and really healthy, but and please don't take this as criticism just maybe you havn't noticed how little dairy there is in your diet, which may be fine for an adult but for growing children they need it for their growing bones, maybe you could swap a bottle of wine for yoghurts or extra cheese.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it.
    Last edited by pennywisepoundstupid; 04-11-2016 at 9:50 AM.
    "Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Dream hols fund=Holiday booked
    Hols spending money £2000/£225.40
    Amazon vouchers £15
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 4th Nov 16, 9:39 AM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Hiya more of a lurker than poster I too am really impressed with your overpayments but please live a little as well. Paying for a friends taxi isn't much and if they are good friends they will return the favour so no biggie in my eyes. Meal planning is impressive but I agree get a bit of dairy in there although you do have milk of course.

Wanted to ask where do you get wine at £3 a bottle in this country? My bargain booze is french larger from Lidl (small bottles) 2.6% but 8 for £2 I swear I cannot taste the difference to full alcoholics ones. I actually prefer these now.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 04-11-2016 at 9:41 AM.
    • NorthernMonkey1
    • By NorthernMonkey1 4th Nov 16, 6:22 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    NorthernMonkey1
    You're saving a HUGE amount per year. Most people can get no where near £30kpa. Cut your OH a big of slack. If his only luxury is to pay a taxi for a friend it's hardly going to ruin your plan.

Every plan needs a bit of give and take, and if your give is a few quid to the taxi company, then that's a price worth paying
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,269Posts Today

6,504Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted to see the House of Lords taking up to cudgels to fight the disgraceful retrospective hike in student loa? https://t.co/buXWSlgXoj

• RT @politicshome: Cabinet splits on foreign students re-emerge as Amber Rudd admits there are 'differing views' https://t.co/XYivypL5Cc htt?

• For me capping the number of legitimate foreign Uni students is a mistake. Its one of our strong exports & boosts UK soft power around world

• Follow Martin