IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
AMAZON on BBC1 Undercover
Views: 11,372
# 41
scooby088
Old 26-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 3,162 Times in 1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge52 View Post
But isn't the pick rate directly related to the distance needed to walk to pick it?

Therefor if the walk is doable, so should the pick rate be.

I've never worked as a picker so if it's not the case as stated above I'd like to be enlightened.
Of course it is, but with my experience of warehouses there is more often than not the wrong stock in the location you have been sent to, and that is never figured into the times you have been given to pick. Also the fact that in last night programme he was picking in the dark too also giving rise to a unrealistic pick rate. These things do happen and should be remedied as soon as they are reported.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 42
Podge52
Old 26-11-2013, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanked 1,017 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby088 View Post
Of course it is, but with my experience of warehouses there is more often than not the wrong stock in the location you have been sent to, and that is never figured into the times you have been given to pick. Also the fact that in last night programme he was picking in the dark too also giving rise to a unrealistic pick rate. These things do happen and should be remedied as soon as they are reported.
No need to get shirty !! You were the one saying one is doable and the other isn't.
# 43
londonTiger
Old 26-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil74 View Post
As a postie I walk about 8 miles on a 5 hour delivery, that's out in the elements, constantly going up & down slopes and steps and with a 16kg pouch on my back (plus I've already spent the previous 3 hours of my shift on my feet sorting mail and prepping my walk) so I don't think the Amazon work was that physically demanding at all.

Having said that I wouldn't enjoy the warehouse working environment.
it's not the actual physical labour that is the issue. It's the controlling nature of the job.

You;re out in fresh air, they are in artificual light for most of the time. there were some windows in the warehouse. but many workers will work in a section where they probably never see any natral light.

you can use you head a little, you can decide which route you take. You can decide to unload the heavier items first. Go through business addresses to unload batches of letters in one go. Or larger parcels (you have a trolly, and with all due respect 16kg on a trolly isn;t much).

Imagine if you were given a beeper which counted down your next letter drop and told you the exact order to deliver mail by.

It would be mind numbing and exhausting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to londonTiger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
Atidi
Old 26-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP007 View Post
Staff walking over 8 miles on a shift! Working in the dark too with a count down on the scanner used to 'pick' stock' off the shelves.
Yeah, all a bit of a non story really wasn't it?

I have to say, they did try their best to show off the sporting prowess of this guy running across the moors at the start of the programme, but couldn't manage walking for 8 hours and and got blisters on his feet.
Also had to smile having seen him running cross country, that he was complaining about having to walk up a few stairs rather than being allowed to be carried in the goods lift.

Btw, they also get a break in those 8 hours, (At least 20 minutes uninterrupted) but I see they didn't mention that. But they did show he had enough time to stop and chat to others when presumably he should have been working - perhaps that's why he wasn't hitting his targets.

As they said, working in the dark was due to a malfunctioning light (they should come on automatically as they are controlled by movement sensors, but they didn't in one instance and Amazon said they fixed it asap after they were alerted to the malfunction)

8 miles is not far in 8 hours. That's only 1mph, whilst the average person probably strolls along at up to 4x that speed (but obviously not stopping to pick things up every 30 seconds or so) I reckon lots of manual workers probably walk 8 miles in a shift. e.g. Milkman, Postman, Policeman on the beat, etc
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atidi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
AP007
Old 26-11-2013, 1:00 PM

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atidi View Post
Yeah, all a bit of a non story really wasn't it?

I have to say, they did try their best to show off the sporting prowess of this guy running across the moors at the start of the programme, but couldn't manage walking for 8 hours and and got blisters on his feet.
Also had to smile having seen him running cross country, that he was complaining about having to walk up a few stairs rather than being allowed to be carried in the goods lift.

Btw, they also get a break in those 8 hours, (At least 20 minutes uninterrupted) but I see they didn't mention that. But they did show he had enough time to stop and chat to others when presumably he should have been working - perhaps that's why he wasn't hitting his targets.

As they said, working in the dark was due to a malfunctioning light (they should come on automatically as they are controlled by movement sensors, but they didn't in one instance and Amazon said they fixed it asap after they were alerted to the malfunction)

8 miles is not far in 8 hours. That's only 1mph, whilst the average person probably strolls along at up to 4x that speed (but obviously not stopping to pick things up every 30 seconds or so) I reckon lots of manual workers probably walk 8 miles in a shift. e.g. Milkman, Postman, Policeman on the beat, etc
I am sure the shift was 10.5 hours and they didn't mention a break of 1 hour but that was not the point.
Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
# 46
Atidi
Old 26-11-2013, 1:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denning. View Post
It is not far either, NHS guidance is to walk 10 miles a day...

I'm not saying the rules aren't harsh, but they aren't unreasonable.
Really? Who the hell walks 10 miles a day.10,000 steps is 10 miles?

I used to walk only about 2,000 probably do nothing like that now.
Did you see C4 dispatches half an hour earlier?

Britains Big Fat Bill

There was a woman on there who had trouble even walking from her kitchen to that expensive tread mill in her lounge.
But she did manage to make it half way down her garden path to that exercise bike (who really keeps an excercise bike half way down their garden path?), but then was so worn out she couldn't manage to climb on it and sit down ...
# 47
Atidi
Old 26-11-2013, 1:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I am sure the shift was 10.5 hours and they didn't mention a break of 1 hour but that was not the point.
Yeah, let's not spoil a good story, definitely up to any Daily Mail standard, with the facts shall we?

I thought the day shift was 8 hours, but the night shift was longer, but they only work 4 nights a week which is a very common arrangement.

5 shifts a week @ 10.5h per shift would exceed permitted hours under EU directive (unless worker voluntarily chooses to work such extra hours.)

Last edited by Atidi; 26-11-2013 at 1:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atidi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
Atidi
Old 26-11-2013, 1:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicStirling View Post
Are you certain that its 10 miles and not 10 minutes?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrootum View Post
It is the customers fault/ If you don't like the company, stop buying from them and go to a shop instead.
What? You mean like get off my backside and walk to a shop?

That going to take me at least 20 minutes there & back. I'd have to make plans. Take a tent or book a B&B for an overnight stay for that sort of distance.

Nah, I think I'll do my shopping by the click of the mouse thanks, and then post about the slave labour the supplier forces it's employees to work under.

Last edited by Atidi; 26-11-2013 at 1:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atidi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
John1993
Old 26-11-2013, 2:28 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,257 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonTiger View Post
it's not the actual physical labour that is the issue. It's the controlling nature of the job.
That's the nature of pretty much every salaried job. The company pays the wages, and duuring the time that you are at work, they control what you do.

Amazon seem no more "controlling" than those who employ bus drivers, bakers, postmen, checkout workers, miners...
The Following User Says Thank You to John1993 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
londonTiger
Old 26-11-2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1993 View Post
That's the nature of pretty much every salaried job. The company pays the wages, and duuring the time that you are at work, they control what you do.

Amazon seem no more "controlling" than those who employ bus drivers, bakers, postmen, checkout workers, miners...
Untrue, no jib monitors every second of your shift. Most jobs will allow you to be a human being in between and give you some room to chat with colleagues. What amazon does is akin to sweatshops
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to londonTiger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
bap98189
Old 26-11-2013, 2:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,121 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atidi View Post
Yeah, let's not spoil a good story, definitely up to any Daily Mail standard, with the facts shall we?

I thought the day shift was 8 hours, but the night shift was longer, but they only work 4 nights a week which is a very common arrangement.

5 shifts a week @ 10.5h per shift would exceed permitted hours under EU directive (unless worker voluntarily chooses to work such extra hours.)
According to The Daily Mail he worked four nights a week for 10-and-a-half hours, including a paid half-hour break and two 15-minute unpaid breaks.
# 52
RichardD1970
Old 26-11-2013, 2:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 2,086 Times in 761 Posts

8 miles is easily doable. My last job included sometimes operating an overhead crane and in a 12hr shift I would easily walk 15-20km .

It was also a "controlling" environment as you had to remove finished stock from the lines to the dispatch area so had to keep on top of it to prevent lines stopping.

Half hour dinner and 3 five minute smoke/tea breaks. Wasn't a bad job and I prefered doing that to the other jobs in the factory. Oh and I'm fat
# 53
John1993
Old 26-11-2013, 3:00 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,257 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonTiger View Post
Untrue, no jib monitors every second of your shift. Most jobs will allow you to be a human being in between and give you some room to chat with colleagues. What amazon does is akin to sweatshops
Rubbish. A bus driver on his route does not get to stop off to chat. Checkout operators will be having their performance measured contiinuously, and so on.

This is yet another thread where people seem incredulous that a job comes with all sorts of requirements. If the views on here are really common nowadays then it's easy to see why there are so many unemployed; they simply don't understand what having a job means, and must be hooribly unprepared for workinng life.

It's as though the only experience of work some people have is watching what goes on in the cafe in Home and Away...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John1993 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
scooby088
Old 26-11-2013, 3:10 PM

What amazon also do is randomly check employees for drugs and alcohol, now that is trying to control employees away from work. And also another reason I wouldn't want to work for them.
# 55
RichardD1970
Old 26-11-2013, 3:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
What amazon also do is randomly check employees for drugs and alcohol, now that is trying to control employees away from work. And also another reason I wouldn't want to work for them.
Happens at my current place of work. With the support of the unions. If you are drunk or high at work you are a danger to yourself and others especially in an manufacturing/warehouse environment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardD1970 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
scooby088
Old 26-11-2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD1970 View Post
Happens at my current place of work. With the support of the unions. If you are drunk or high at work you are a danger to yourself and others especially in an manufacturing/warehouse environment.
What about those on prescription medication that is controlled like morphine, tramadol, codeine fall into the classification of controlled drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to scooby088 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
londonTiger
Old 26-11-2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Rubbish. A bus driver on his route does not get to stop off to chat. Checkout operators will be having their performance measured contiinuously, and so on.

This is yet another thread where people seem incredulous that a job comes with all sorts of requirements. If the views on here are really common nowadays then it's easy to see why there are so many unemployed; they simply don't understand what having a job means, and must be hooribly unprepared for workinng life.

It's as though the only experience of work some people have is watching what goes on in the cafe in Home and Away...
A busy driver does not walk 8 hours of the day and get severe blisters.

Nor does a checkout worker run around 8 miles a day.. BTW not 8 miles of straihgt up walking but bending over, pushing trolley etc.

I am a business owner and I've never had to work these jobs and even I am horrified.

Why are you nitpicking one aspect and comparing one aspect of the amazon picker to other jobs. It's a crap and inhumane job because of the whole package.

Last edited by londonTiger; 26-11-2013 at 3:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to londonTiger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
RichardD1970
Old 26-11-2013, 3:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
What about those on prescription medication that is controlled like morphine, tramadol, codeine fall into the classification of controlled drugs.
They check for illegal drugs.

If you are on medication which could affect your operation of machinery/impact your ability to do your job, then you would discuss it with your manager/OH and have appropriate adjustments made to the type of job you are assigned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichardD1970 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
dandelionclock30
Old 26-11-2013, 3:52 PM

Thanked 4,114 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:

A lot of unemployed people are very well prepared for working life which includes being able to spell words like horribly and working for a start.
# 60
scooby088
Old 26-11-2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD1970 View Post
They check for illegal drugs.

If you are on medication which could affect your operation of machinery/impact your ability to do your job, then you would discuss it with your manager/OH and have appropriate adjustments made to the type of job you are assigned.
Yes but for arguments sake, morphine is derived from a form of cocaine/ heroin or vice versa. In my experience adjustments are never made, my OH was used to operate cleaning machinery whilst on morphine patches nothing was ever said by the management.