Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    ENTITLEMENT PROBLEM: ESA, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
    • #1
    • 19th Nov 13, 3:49 PM
    ENTITLEMENT PROBLEM: ESA, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction 19th Nov 13 at 3:49 PM

    I have a bit of a problem.

    I'm 22 and currently living in a 2 bed flat with 3 other adults, i.e. two couples (just still relatively short term boyfriend/girlfriend thing, no marriages etc).

    I recently in October was involved in a car crash that left my right hand completely out of action, and it is not looking remotely good until at least mid January. I am now on Employment Support Allowance for general costs such as food, transport (can't drive currently) and bills including previous contracts such as insurances and mobile phone payments.

    My predicament here is that I still have rent and council tax to pay at around 230 per month all together. I cannot afford that as I am unable to work and ESA doesn't contribute much at all to it after other expenses.

    I inquired about Housing Benefit and council tax reduction and it appears I am not entitled to anything at all. The factor that causes this is that I live with 3 other adults who earn a salary of probably around 15,000 each, generating a household gross income of at least 45,000, along with my 0.

    This seems to be causing me to have no entitlement. This is a house share from a private landlord, we are all totally financially exclusive, we share absolutely zero money between us, other than sharing the rent, council tax, tv license and associated house bills cost.

    Just because they earn a salary doesn't affect my position whatsoever, the fact I'm in a couple means nothing, after tax my girlfriend hasn't anywhere near enough money to help me. She has nearly 2k of overdraft to pay off.

    If I can't afford to pay my rent I will have to leave.

    What can I do here? It seems very unfair that they are assuming my girlfriend and housemates can pay my household living costs, they all have their own debts and even if they could they wouldn't as it's their earnings.

    Any advice please?

    Thank You,
    If its not cheap, find a way to make it cheap.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,832Posts Today

6,729Users online

Martin's Twitter