Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    LeeLee81
    Did egg pre tick their PPI box in 2004. I know I definitely did not tick it.
    • 12th Nov 13, 4:58 PM
    Did egg pre tick their PPI box in 2004. I know I definitely did not tick it. 12th Nov 13 at 4:58 PM
    Hi all

I rang Egg today asking if I had a PPI on my credit card, they said yes and are sending out a questionnaire.

I've been reading posts where people are saying that they didn't tick the ppi box but are not being refunded. I completed an online application in 2004. I definitely did not tick any ppi box as I wouldn't have needed it. I am in a job where I would be paid full sick pay for two years and have been for the last 15 years. I know I never ticked it but I've heard that egg tell people that they did tick when they actually haven't. I've got a feeling that is going to happen to me.

Can anyone help? What do I say if they try and say I ticked it. Is it true that they pre ticked the box in 2004?

Thanks for any advice
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 12th Nov 13, 5:06 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    societys child
    • 12th Nov 13, 5:06 PM
    • 12th Nov 13, 5:06 PM
    So why did you not cancel it at the time if you didn't want it?

PPI is only charged on a statement with a balance, so if you paid any it would have been itemised on that monthly statement. That's over a hundred statements . . .

No idea about what dates the boxes may have been pre-ticked, but Egg (and FOS) will know.
    Last edited by societys child; 12-11-2013 at 5:09 PM.

• LeeLee81
    • 12th Nov 13, 5:37 PM
    • 12th Nov 13, 5:37 PM
    I never knew that I had it until I looked in detail at my statement and rang them up to cancel it in 2009. However the fact that I had it on my statements isn't the issue. I didn't actually ask for it so I believe I should be refunded!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Nov 13, 11:47 PM
    • 18,524 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Nov 13, 11:47 PM
    • 12th Nov 13, 11:47 PM
    I've heard that egg tell people that they did tick when they actually haven't.
    Originally posted by LeeLee81
    Where have you heard this? What evidence was there to prove that the Bank were wrong in their assertions?
    Basically, this claim is just nonsense.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 13th Nov 13, 12:59 AM
    • 9,130 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    • 13th Nov 13, 12:59 AM
    • 13th Nov 13, 12:59 AM
    I never knew that I had it until I looked in detail at my statement
    Whose fault is that?
  • LeeLee81
    • 13th Nov 13, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Nov 13, 11:50 AM
    Well, thanks so much for your unhelpful and rude comments. I shall be pursuing this as I've seen many people get back their money from an egg credit card PPI. I guess I should've known that posting on here would've provoked an amateurish response. It's not your fault that you're uneducated. I will ask a professional instead who knows what they are talking about!
  • LeeLee81
    • 13th Nov 13, 11:56 AM
    • 13th Nov 13, 11:56 AM
    Didn't realise you had cover?

Have you just checked your credit card statements to find that you've been paying for insurance, but didn't realise until now that you had it, or what it's for?

Some old agreements (pre-July 2007), particularly store cards, may have used pre-ticked boxes so you had to opt out of the insurance rather than opt in, which is unfair. Always check this. If you're paying for insurance you didn't know you had, go to how to reclaim.

I fit into this category and this was a quote from THIS site. So it looks like I do have a case!
  • maxzorin
    • 13th Nov 13, 4:04 PM
    • 13th Nov 13, 4:04 PM
    Hi Lee,

I took out an egg card in 2003 and it was defaulted to 'yes, I want to protect my repayments'. I have a screenshot. So yes it was pre-ticked and you had to actively de-select it.

It also used to say we strongly recommend you take out this valuable cover, so a young man with not much financial know how would probably click next.

Nowhere did it state the exclusions of the policy unless you explicitly allowed pop-ups & clicked through.

This is part of my complaint against Egg which is currently with the ombudsman.

Good luck & let me know if you have any questions & will try best to assist.

Also as regards to the fact you should have seen it on your statements is nothing to do with it, besides who's to say you didn't know it was optional & thought you had to have it.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Nov 13, 4:34 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    societys child
    • 13th Nov 13, 4:34 PM
    • 13th Nov 13, 4:34 PM
    unhelpful and rude comments.
    So it looks like I do have a case!
    What rude comments?
    As for unhelpful, you may have a case but the answers you've been given are what a claims handler will think when he first reads your complaint.

people are saying that they didn't tick the ppi box but are not being refunded
    People say all kinds of things but Egg (and FOS) know on what dates the boxes were pre-ticked.
    Last edited by societys child; 13-11-2013 at 4:39 PM.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Nov 13, 10:01 PM
    • 18,524 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It's not your fault that you're uneducated. I will ask a professional instead who knows what they are talking about!
    You'll pay any "professional" you employ at least 25% (plus VAT) of any redress you win.
    Still sure it is we who are the "uneducated"?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Nov 13, 10:08 PM
    • 18,524 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Also as regards to the fact you should have seen it on your statements is nothing to do with it
    Originally posted by maxzorin
    It does have something to do with it if part of the Op's complaint is that he didn't know he had it. It means he either ignored the contents of his statements from 2004 to 2009 (at least 48 statements) or didn't actually pay any PPI because credit card PPI is only paid when the account has a balance.
    Your complaint is now with the Ombudsman, which suggests the Bank refuted your assertion that your application must have had a pre-ticked box. Since the dates when pre-populated boxes are known to both the Ombudsman and the Bank, I wouldn't be too certain that FOS will uphold your complaint.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 14th Nov 13, 12:13 AM
    • 9,130 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Well, thanks so much for your unhelpful and rude comments.
    As Society's Child says, the question I asked is harsh but it is also the first one that a complaints handler at egg will ask.
    I guess I should've known that posting on here would've provoked an amateurish response.
    The complaints handler will be paid to ask it!
    It's not your fault that you're uneducated.
    That depends, doesn't it. If one does not have the opportunity to learn then clearly not.

If, on the other hand, one is provided with the information month in, month out, for several years but does not bother to actually read it, then the question in my previous post seems to be appropriate.
    I will ask a professional instead who knows what they are talking about!
    You did. My response was a question which you do not like but really need to face.
    • torquilboyd
    • By torquilboyd 18th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    torquilboyd
    Just saw this and wondered if you were you successful in your claim against Egg ,as I had the same reply and was turned down by ombudsman
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 18th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Some companies DID default to PPI. I had held an M&S chargecard for some time, which was automatically converted to a Mastercard a while ago. I didn't have a problem with this - a letter had forewarned me of the plan and I had had the option of declining the change.

However, what I did have a problem with, was the inclusion of PPI. It was shown on my account as 2 - not because it was linked to any balance (I always pay it off in full every month) but this 2 was the 'policy' admin charge. I've no idea if this would have been a monthly payment, or if it was just a one-off - but I rang M&S to say that I didn't want it, didn't need it and would probably never be able to claim on it in any case.

The 'policy' administrator went into full sales mode, rattling off all the benefits of the plan. I explained that I always paid off the card every month and so didn't have a debt to cover. She had the script answer to that as well - if I lost my job, I might use the card more, yadda yadda. I then asked her under what circumstances I would be able to claim on the policy and she replied if I was unable to work and had no income, I WOULD be able to claim. I replied that as an Armed Forces pensioner I would continue to receive my pension regardless of my employment or health status. I got my 2 back.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    The FOS and the banks know when companies had pre-ticked / opt-out boxes. There is no point claiming this was the case unless you know it was
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 18,524 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Just saw this and wondered if you were you successful in your claim against Egg
    Originally posted by torquilboyd
    LeeLee81 had several posts made on this thread deleted, so I doubt he'll return to update. He last logged in to this site in 2014.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,419Posts Today

6,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin