IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PE and Days Inn

CeriB
CeriB Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 11 November 2013 at 9:22AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Good morning, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please? At the end of October I had cause to spend the night in a Days Inn off a motorway. It was late, about 11.30pm when I arrived and parked my car. When I booked my room the receptionist took a note of my registration number. I stayed the night and then left at approx 11.00 the next morning. I have now received a letter from Parking Eye asking for the usual £100 or £60 if paid within 14 days. My husband, who received a demand about 6 months ago from the same company which was totally fictitious, said to do the same as him and completely ignore it. However, I am starting to feel a bit twitchy about doing that.

I've had a look through the various threads and advice, but am getting a little bit confused. I've thought about contacting Days Inn but I'm not sure whether they are the landowners or whether it would be Welcome Break. The demand is dated 1st November so I am aware the should I need to do anything I have to do it within the next day or two.

Any advice would be very helpful, thanks.

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Parking Eye have a good record of cancelling tickets for genuine customers.

If you can dig out any proof that you stayed all night at the hotel, PE will probably cancel it if you appeal.

Get that proof and send it off pdq.

You may want to accompany that with a demand for a POPLA code if they are unwilling to comply.

A new sticky thread has been written as a general guide should you not get PE to cancel on proof. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,256
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Straight on the phone to Days Inn. They took your reg number clearly for the purpose of logging this with PE as a 'white list' car park user who was not to be targeted. Get them to contact PE for the charge to be dropped.

If this doesn't work come back.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • CeriB
    Thanks guys, will do both and let you know.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Straight on the phone to Days Inn. They took your reg number clearly for the purpose of logging this with PE as a 'white list' car park user who was not to be targeted. Get them to contact PE for the charge to be dropped.

If this doesn't work come back.

Agreed entirely, but I would also write to PE myself to get confirmation. If the hotel was dilatory in not registering your car registration you can't be sure that they will be equally negligent in this as well.

Always keep overall control of any situation yourself even if you delegate.
  • Umkomaas
    Forumite
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Agreed entirely, but I would also write to PE myself to get confirmation. If the hotel was dilatory in not registering your car registration you can't be sure that they will be equally negligent in this as well.

Always keep overall control of any situation yourself even if you delegate.

Yep GD - both approaches can be used in parallel, giving the OP the best chance of a swift and positive resolution. And as you say, keeping control of the situation.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• CeriB
    Hello there,

Just a quick update, I've contacted Parking Eye and sent a copy of my receipt and also contacted Days Inn via e-mail (I prefer to do that as a first stop as I can keep copies of correspondence). Anyway, less than 24 hours after sending my email, I've received a very prompt response from the manager of the Days Inn concerned asking for my registration, the parking notice number and she has promised to ensure it's cancelled promptly.

So, it appears to have just been a mix up in the first place, and ten out of ten to the motel for the speed at which they have promised to sort it out. Hopefully this will be the end.

Many thanks for the advice guys.

Ceri.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nice one Ceri.

I will add a link to your success so that Days Inn's good customer service can be seen permanently here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4766249

When the car park is a customer one, generally complaints about PPC scam fake PCNs do work!

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • CeriB
    I will post definite confirmation when I get a note that it's been cancelled, but I was rather impressed that I contacted the general "enquiries" email address and the matter appears to have been dealt with at a local level. Nice one Days Inn.
  • Umkomaas
    Forumite
    CeriB wrote: »
    I will post definite confirmation when I get a note that it's been cancelled, but I was rather impressed that I contacted the general "enquiries" email address and the matter appears to have been dealt with at a local level. Nice one Days Inn.

Well done Ceri, glad to have been of some help.

You should receive the PE cancellation in a few days. No doubt the letter will say 'As a gesture of goodwill' and signed off with a 'Kind regards'. Hard to stomach, but you've got a result. :T

• CeriB
    Unfortunately can't see how to attach an image easily, but I got a letter from Parking Eye stating:-

Sir/Madam,

We refer to the Parking Charge incurred on 29th October 2013 at 10:08 at Welcome Break Warwick (South) car park.

We confirm that this Charge has been cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due on this account.

Kind regards,

Parking Eye Team

I'll be someone in their office was crying when they printed that out!!

Still don't know why I got the ticket in the first place, but I'm just glad it's all sorted and Days Inn did a first class job in communicating with me and arranging for the ticket to be cancelled.

Thanks for the forum help, it was very much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure