Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a s... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(
Closed Thread
Views: 34,100
# 1
donna
Old 19-06-2007, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Hi,

for the 3rd time in the last month we have just had the EYG double glazing firm around. Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.

Today when they called my DH asked them if they would kindly make a note of our address and ask their sales people to stop calling here. The guy said this is not possible as they are all self employed and don't keep lists of whos called where!

I am 6 months pregnant and am really sick of this, everytime i see these teams of men appear on our cul-de-sac my heart starts racing and i get really wound up.

Please can anyone tell me where i can get one of those "no cold callers" stickers?

We also have a similar problem with phone calls for mortgages, which we have learned now always show up on the caller display as "INTERNATIONAL". We simply pick up the phone and then hang it straight back up again.

Apparantley BT and TPS can't stop these calls.

Thanks for listening to my moan.
The Following User Says Thank You to donna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
woohoo_postingid
Old 19-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just print it out on your PC or write it on a piece of paper and stick to the front gate/front door - It's not very MS to buy a sticker!

Just remember, it's your house, you are in charge. Simply do not answer the door or if you do open it, shut it again. Be rude back to them - you didn't ask them to call.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woohoo_postingid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
pulliptears
Old 19-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Your local Trading Standards should have the stickers, as well as the council and possibly the Police

Failing that, print your own
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons. Sometimes we just snuggle
The Following User Says Thank You to pulliptears For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
completeboxset
Old 19-06-2007, 12:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna View Post
Hi,

for the 3rd time in the last month we have just had the EYG double glazing firm around. Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.

Today when they called my DH asked them if they would kindly make a note of our address and ask their sales people to stop calling here. The guy said this is not possible as they are all self employed and don't keep lists of whos called where!

I am 6 months pregnant and am really sick of this, everytime i see these teams of men appear on our cul-de-sac my heart starts racing and i get really wound up.

Please can anyone tell me where i can get one of those "no cold callers" stickers?

We also have a similar problem with phone calls for mortgages, which we have learned now always show up on the caller display as "INTERNATIONAL". We simply pick up the phone and then hang it straight back up again.

Apparantley BT and TPS can't stop these calls.

Thanks for listening to my moan.

I always find the slamming the door in their face works quite well!

with regards the ones who phone just say "hang on a minute I'll just go and get my husband" and then leave them on the other end of the phone for ten minutes, when you pick it back up if they are still there say "thanks for holding he'll be with you shortly" and keep doing that - it sometimes put certain companies off, but even if it doesn't it feels nice to play them at their own game.

No cold calling stickers - don't know where people get these but failing all else make you're own up print it off and stick it on the door - you could also do a specific one directed at EYG:

EYG: DON'T EVEN THINK OF KNOCKING ON MY DOOR - I'M NOT INTERESTED - AND EVEN IF I WAS - AFTER THE AMOUNT OF TIMES YOU HAVE HARASSED ME YOU WOULD BE THE LAST COMPANY I WOULD EVER BUY DOUBLE GLAZING FROM!

hth
It's official I'm addicted to Boots - the total on my Advantage Card has gone over 300
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to completeboxset For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ShockingPink
Old 19-06-2007, 3:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This won't be much use to you, but my Mum got given one at her pensioners' club! I think they give them away at Trading Standards offices, too. My mum's says "Doorstep Sellers Beware! You are not welcome here!" and on the back is the freephone number for Crimestoppers and the number for Trading Standards.

Several areas have set up "no cold calling zones", and free stickers are given out - I don't know where you live, but it might be worth asking your local council.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShockingPink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
carrieparkinson
Old 19-06-2007, 3:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to carrieparkinson

hiya. i got a load from the police when i rang them up complaining.... i have one left if you would like it.
does my bum look big in this sig?
The Following User Says Thank You to carrieparkinson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
newlywed
Old 19-06-2007, 3:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Tell them you don't own it.

Living in a council house gets rid of glazing salesmen quickly
Grocery Challenge August = 220 (in my dreams!!)
DMP support thread (member #32)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newlywed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
stugib
Old 19-06-2007, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna View Post
Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.

Probably won't make much of a difference but also stop explaining yourself to them. Your position is none of their business.

To a salesman 'won't be in a position to buy for 2 years' probably enters his brain as 'right, they are interested, I'd better go back because their situation might have changed sooner than expected or I can convince them to take out our 29.9% finance package'.

Just tell 'em your not interested, never will be, and never buy from cold-callers. Then follow completboxset's advice

Last edited by stugib; 19-06-2007 at 4:13 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stugib For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Alexandria
Old 19-06-2007, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just answer the door and state "I don't buy on the doorstep" and close it again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandria For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Alexandria
Old 19-06-2007, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oh and just realised you said that you're pregnant, if you intend on breastfeeding I have always found that a great way to get rid of them...answer the door with a baby attached hehe.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alexandria For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
advent1122
Old 19-06-2007, 4:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just answer the door and say "I am not in".
Works every time.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to advent1122 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
1jim
Old 19-06-2007, 4:50 PM

we got ours from the local police at a village fair where they had a stall
to be honest they dont work, we still get as many cold callers and now I just get more peed off that they have ignored the sign rather than the cold call. Its pointless pointing out the sign because they all seem to think it doesnt apply to them:confused:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1jim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
trisontana
Old 19-06-2007, 4:56 PM

The only way round this problem is to persuade you council to set up a "No Cold Calling Zone" , which is backed up by the police and Trading Standards. See here for how it works :-

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/ccm/con...lers.en?page=5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
dangeroussports
Old 19-06-2007, 6:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just say "you can come in but I dont have any money at all and bad credit".
The Following User Says Thank You to dangeroussports For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
eyelinerprincess
Old 19-06-2007, 7:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to eyelinerprincess

THIS is what you do:

Buy one of those signs saying "beware of the dog", pick one that looks big and scary, and then set up a CD player so it plays out the window, with a CD full of scary dog noises. It'll clear em off soon enough...
"Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eyelinerprincess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
catz747
Old 19-06-2007, 9:07 PM

Don't know where you live but a quick google search of :

free door sticker

gave a few results including a few council websites with a telephone number to call for your free sticker

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/consume...256DF60041427E

http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/safe/doorstep.html
The Following User Says Thank You to catz747 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Poppy9
Old 19-06-2007, 11:22 PM

I don't have any problem with cold callers either in person or via the telephone.

We never get sales people ring us. We are ex-directory, we refuse to give our home phone number to any businesses, only ever give mobile number. I registered with BT privacy service and TPS.

For door callers I have a lovely note which I only used to use on the days OH was sleeping before working nights.

STOP - is your call really necessary? Shift worker asleep. Thank you.

I put it at eye level by the door bell.
~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poppy9 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
bubblesbonbon
Old 20-06-2007, 9:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cool

Quote:
I was driven mad with these calls, sometimes getting four a day and usually in the evening. Apparently they obtain your number using an overseas computer listing (My calls were originating in Canada)
If you speak in "German" it stops them in their tracks and I think they probably delete your number from their lists as an error.
So when caller display shows an International just lift up the handset and follow this script -

"Gutten Tag" (They will probably ask for a person)

"Bitta?" (Not the correct spelling but sounds right)

They will start sounding puzzled now

"Voe ist das ?"

They should ring off but if not just keep repeating the last bit, sounding more and more jacked off each time.

Work a treat for me but make sure you know that it is a cold caller or your friends might think you have gone loopy!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bubblesbonbon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
MrsTinks
Old 20-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Ex directory works a charm also for cold callers on phones advise them to remove you from their list - by law they have to do this if you ask them - they should have a "black list" of numbers that are blocked from their systems.
As for the door to door - get a big dog I've not had any cold callers since getting a GSD cross - although the local church still try to get me to cough up for their various fairs and fetes... eventually they too will give up!
Have to say I admire the DG sales men round here... the houses hadn't been built for 6 months before we had one round... obviously not very bright as it was obvious the houses had DG... duh!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsTinks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
PinkLady
Old 26-06-2007, 12:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jim View Post
we got ours from the local police at a village fair where they had a stall
to be honest they dont work, we still get as many cold callers and now I just get more peed off that they have ignored the sign rather than the cold call. Its pointless pointing out the sign because they all seem to think it doesnt apply to them:confused:
---
I have just had this! 2 calls in 24 hours... they are not selling but giving out information!!! I said BUT YOU ARE SELLING!!! I had a yoghurt in one hand and a small child in the other!

The signs say 'We don't buy at the door'. Has anyone seen any that say 'No Cold Calling?'
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkLady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread