Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA Direct Debiting Seminar Invite.
Views: 8,776
# 21
Vodafone company representative
Old 18-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Has MSE’s permission to post for company
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi reehsetin and Stompa,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

For further help with things there's some useful information about how you can protect yourselves against phishing emails in the Privacy policy section of our website.

Although I can't provide you with a link to it due to the posting guidelines which company representatives are required to follow, there's a link at the of our home page which will take you to where it is.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
yangptangkipperbang
Old 27-11-2013, 7:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,322 Times in 728 Posts

I am getting a steady stream of stuff to both my Santander email addresses now.
The latest ones are advising me of an urgent voice mail on Skype !
The Following User Says Thank You to yangptangkipperbang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
Lomcevak
Old 28-11-2013, 7:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanked 2,264 Times in 335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangptangkipperbang View Post
I am getting a steady stream of stuff to both my Santander email addresses now.
The latest ones are advising me of an urgent voice mail on Skype !
And me - recently i've had that Skype message and several DHL 'delivery attempts', all with a .zip to open. Forwarded to Santander phishing address and not had any kind of response, even bot-generated.

Unique email address on a domain I own (and not santander@...) so zero chance it is guessed or taken from somewhere else, must be a Santander-internal leak. I've only been a Santander customer for a few months, so must be quite recent too.
MFiT-T3#126, £186k to £150k: £20,520/£36,369 (56.42%), 2014 MFW#12 £5400/£6000 (90.00%)
£18k-in-’14#18 £18,670/£18,000 (100.37%), £2014-in-2014 £1096.35/£2014 (54.46%)
# 24
Stompa
Old 28-11-2013, 8:37 AM

Thanked 3,223 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevak View Post
And me - recently i've had that Skype message and several DHL 'delivery attempts', all with a .zip to open. Forwarded to Santander phishing address and not had any kind of response, even bot-generated.
I've had loads of those too, but to randomly generated addresses as well as my Santander address. Be VERY careful with them, it's highly likely that the attachment is Cryptolocker.
Stompa
The Following User Says Thank You to Stompa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
Lomcevak
Old 28-11-2013, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mostly i'm upset that a bank where I hold a lot of money has leaked at least some information about me

Less worried about the payload as I'm pretty careful with these things; the email runs as a limited user on a Linux box and although that's not impregnable it is likely pretty good against most generic trojans.
MFiT-T3#126, £186k to £150k: £20,520/£36,369 (56.42%), 2014 MFW#12 £5400/£6000 (90.00%)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lomcevak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
quaybab
Old 05-12-2013, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Santander deny leaking (unique) email addresses and will not be investigating any further. However with information security, you deny everything and admit nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to quaybab For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
Uxb
Old 05-12-2013, 5:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'd contact the information commissioner.
# 28
bubieyehyeh
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They have yet to reply to my query to their phishing email address about how the email address that I only gave to santander leaked.
# 29
robin58
Old 06-12-2013, 8:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Also look out for Emails from Barclay's saying they are confirming payment to an another account..

Has a zipped file attached which says it's a printed receipt( yeah! right ).

Had 4 emails exactly the same, except for different amounts land into my email address.

I am surprised by the amounts 'taken' , I have not already had a visit by the Barclay SWAT team.
The more I live, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I grow.
The more I grow, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I know.
The more I know, the more I see,
How little I know.!!
# 30
anamenottaken
Old 06-12-2013, 8:11 PM

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,578 Posts

Only just seen this thread. I was concerned last month when I received a number of emails (with zip file attachments) sent to an address I would have used when a customer of Abbey National. So the address acquisition could be from old records not properly disposed of.
# 31
bubieyehyeh
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Its not old santander email addresses, mine was my current santander email address that I've used for only 2-3 years.

I've not had anymore emails since but I think my webmail provider discards email which its is sure that are dodgy and doesn't even put them in the spam folder.

Last edited by bubieyehyeh; 06-12-2013 at 10:41 PM.
# 32
Wood Dragon
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Leak of email address supplied only to Santander

Just adding weight to this thread to state that I too have received spam on an email that has only been shared with Santander.

I feel that in all probability it is Santander's actions that have caused this. I have 692 of these separate emails, and only 'santander' has the problem today, it rarely happens, but when it does it coincides with a flurry of similar reports. The last one was adobe.

My comment to Santander is, if I can't trust you to keep my email address private, how can I trust you with anything else, let alone my money.

BR/ wd
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood Dragon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
MrA2012
Old 11-12-2013, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Add me to the list of people suspecting Santander of leaking emails. Like others in this thread, I have a catch-all domain and use unique email addresses for every company I deal with. I set up an address specifically for Santander, have only ever given it to Santander and have never used it to send an email. Today it received the fake FedEx shipping confirmation/verify your identity scam.
# 34
autolycus
Old 15-12-2013, 7:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Following up my previous contributions to this thread, I've had a phone call from Santander - yes, I did "put him through security". He said it was being investigated, and admitted I wasn't the only "victim". He then offered £50, which he confirmed in a letter. They just don't get it though, as they advised me to "change (your) email address as soon as possible".

Should I have asked for more? There are three other family members in the same position...

I'm surprised this hasn't had more press coverage, as it's far more serious than the usual scattergun phishing emails.

Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to autolycus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Pound
Old 16-12-2013, 12:22 AM

Thanked 1,147 Times in 639 Posts

I've had this spam as well although surprised they havent pretended to be Santander, so far I think just Skype and Royal Mail. The only time I ever used this email was in an office at Alliance & Leicester (now Santander) when opening an account.

# 36
Lomcevak
Old 16-12-2013, 6:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
Following up my previous contributions to this thread, I've had a phone call from Santander - yes, I did "put him through security". He said it was being investigated, and admitted I wasn't the only "victim". He then offered £50, which he confirmed in a letter. They just don't get it though, as they advised me to "change (your) email address as soon as possible".
I'm still waiting for my complaint to get a response, but will update if/when I get it - already said that i'll escalate if they don't reply within their 8 week period so it is a date in the diary

Fundamentally it's more than the spam and the hassle of changing email address - which, by they way, doesn't work perfectly, I still get 3Dsecure messages to the old one not the new one. I'm annoyed that (a) I don't know what they've leaked, is it just the email address or other personal information too, and (b) they clearly know that it has happened but they've made no effort to tell customers
# 37
block10
Old 19-12-2013, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Data breach is now suspected at Santander

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/19/trojans_spam_unique_email_address/

Last edited by block10; 19-12-2013 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Typ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to block10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
Money-Saving-King
Old 20-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 2,060 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by block10 View Post
Yes but that articles only source of information is this thread it even refers to this thread.
# 39
block10
Old 20-12-2013, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money-Saving-King View Post
Yes but that articles only source of information is this thread it even refers to this thread.
NO it also refers to several Reg readers - Paul & Andrew. And it does link to this thread to offer further proof.

A statement from Santander confirms that they are investigating a potential breach.
# 40
quaybab
Old 20-12-2013, 3:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It appears £150 is the maximum you can squeeze out of Santander for (not) losing an email address. They admit no liability but coughed for taking too long to deal with the complaint (less than 2 weeks, they have 8 weeks), inconvenience and for the stock response blaming the customer.
I suspect they have lost mail server log files and not banking data but we'll see.
It is not random attack based on variants of an email address as The Register article say as I've not had multiple attempts at similar aliases.
This one won't be going to the ICO but they’'ve lost 5 others out of about a dozen given to them so I'll see how I get on with them.
Santander patently know there is a problems but can't be bothered contacting the affected customers (due to the obvious cost!). Santander aren’t investigating anything.
There is a remote change the FOS have leaked it as half of the 'infected' ones have been disclosed to them but I doubt it - although with their underhand banker club tactics, you never know.
BOFH
The Following User Says Thank You to quaybab For This Useful Post: Show me >>