Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA Direct Debiting Seminar Invite.

Comments

• We have a business account (formerly Abbey) and personal accounts, and have had these "Tax Service" emails to addresses only ever used for Santander personal accounts. I've challenged Santander, but haven't had a reply. If they still haven't replied by tomorrow morning, I'll put in a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office.
  • quaybab
    quaybab Posts: 115
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    autolycus wrote: »
    If they still haven't replied by tomorrow morning, I'll put in a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office.

No point, you have to complain to Santander first. The bank will leave it 8 weeks and say you can go to the FOS now and then a few months later, say they have not leaked anything but here is some comp for the delay in resolving the matter.
    At that point, you can take it to the ICO regarding DPA breach in which they will say by this time next year it is unlikely Santander have complied with the DPA principles and regulatory action is not required at this time based on its general record of compliance with the DPA.
  • I also got a Tax service email supposedly from HMRC on a email address used solely with santander. The email contained a executable exe file in a zip file. I've forward it to the santander phishing email and I'm awaiting their reply.
  • username
    username Posts: 649
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have an individual santander email at my domain (and the email is not [EMAIL="santander@mydomain.com"][email protected][/EMAIL]) and I got my virussed email from Graham Nevin too. Coincidence?
  • I got a reply from Santander - of a sort. Actually, it seemed more like a bot-produced reply to a phishing complaint, so I replied asking them to read my message again, and this time, reply to what I'd written.

A text from Santander this morning has given me a "complaint reference number", so I guess the second message made it through to a human being.

Anyone else pursuing them on this?
  • Has anyone also received some emails on their santander registered email from 'Orange MMS Service' and 'T-Mobile MMS service' with an attachment and body of the email that looks like this:

How is it going? I'm (female name)! i look for a second half.
    I enjoy travelling and drawing! Look at my photos in attached file.
    Answer me! Bye!

Mobile: +447*********
    passcode: (passcode)
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Yes, - so it's all linked to the release/leak of that email database
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    username wrote: »
    Has anyone also received some emails on their santander registered email from 'Orange MMS Service' and 'T-Mobile MMS service' with an attachment and body of the email that looks like this:

Answer me! Bye!

I get the same but apparently from Vodafone and I don't bank with Santander, never have either
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    username wrote: »
    Has anyone also received some emails on their santander registered email from 'Orange MMS Service' and 'T-Mobile MMS service' with an attachment and body of the email that looks like this:

Answer me! Bye!

Yes, and Vodafone as well, though not to my Santander address but to [email protected]

I have had the Seminar mails to my Santander address though.
    Stompa
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi reehsetin and Stompa,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

For further help with things there's some useful information about how you can protect yourselves against phishing emails in the Privacy policy section of our website.

Although I can't provide you with a link to it due to the posting guidelines which company representatives are required to follow, there's a link at the of our home page which will take you to where it is.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure