Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    searching_for_truth
    FedEx invoiced me for £100 "duty/tax" charge, on top of the cost of shipment
    • 2nd Nov 13, 9:41 PM
    FedEx invoiced me for £100 "duty/tax" charge, on top of the cost of shipment 2nd Nov 13 at 9:41 PM
    I donít know where to post this. FedEx has sent me an invoice for £98.62, for a shipment that was made early September from Thailand to UK. There is a tailor in Bangkok that I sometimes buy shirts from. The shipment contained two shirts and weighed a total of 450grams (1 lb). The money they want is not the cost of the shipment (that was paid in advance by the person in Bangkok), rather itís an unbelievable surcharge that they want me to pay. The invoice from FedEx breaks down the chargesas follows: FedEx Pak Duty £30.74, VAT £57.38, Advancement fee £10.50.

The tailor had already declared the value of the pack to be about £10 and stated that the shirts were ďused garments with no commercial valueĒ. FedEx have included a copy of that declaration with the invoice.

A bit of background on the use of FedEx is that I had used their service for shipping an identical pack on 20-Aug. I lost that pack (left in on the tube on the way home from work) and had to contact the tailor and buy the shirts again. The tailor shipped this second pack through FedEx as well, on 3-Sep.

FedEx didnít invoice me for the first shipment, but they have invoiced me for the second shipment. Their invoice date was 10-Sep. I ignored it. Today I got a reminder letter that unless the £98.62 is paid in 7 days theyíll go through with legal proceedings. I havenít contacted FedEx.

My thinking is that they (FedEx) automatically think youíre a business if you use their service more than once in a space of a couple of weeks, and want to shaft you. Please if you have ideas how to tackle this let me know.

Thanks
Page 2
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th May 14, 5:59 PM
    • 18,849 Posts
    • 9,000 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    so I think I'll just remove my posts
    Originally posted by timbo58
    Unfortunately, your whole original post was already quoted at #11 of this thread. So it remains forever!

I still think you'll have to pay the bill...
    • timbo58
    • By timbo58 15th May 14, 8:51 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    timbo58
    I think you're right -not because I was ever legally obliged mind you, or even morally so, but because fedex etc will at the very least refuse to deliver to me again and I am not going to scupper future purchases that way for the sake of £11 odd.

Only problem now is despite CA accepting and banking a 'full & final' cheque for £9.26 they are still chasing a £20.01 invoice which clearly isn't going to be paid.
    I've told them to either reply accepting the £9.26 or send a new accurate invoice for the outstanding.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • alanbing
    Value?
    Fed Ex charges are ridiculous. Vat is one thing, but for fed ex to profit from this is wrong.
    Sounds to me the value of the shirts were overestimated.
    Shirts in Thailand are cheap, the value should come from the place of origin.
    I bought some trainers from Taiwan and was never made aware of these charges. Fed Ex should return the goods to sender.
    • SUEC
    • By SUEC 16th Jun 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SUEC
    Hmrc payment by dhl
    I purchased a prom dress for my daughter from what i thought was a uk co (the web address was .co.uk) . The item was delivered and was unsuitable. The company refused to give me a refund, despite uk law, or provide me with an address to return the item. I eventually had to go through my bank and visa and claim through them as i had been misled into believing that i was purchasing the item from a uk co. I have now received a demand from dhl for duty and vat. I have explained the situation to them but they have advised that if i dont pay the amount they are requesting then they will instuct a debt collection agency.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,461Posts Today

8,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin