Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 17th Jul 12, 9:09 AM
    • 15,007Posts
    • 8,056Thanks
    penrhyn
    NOW TV launched today
    • 17th Jul 12, 9:09 AM
    NOW TV launched today 17th Jul 12 at 9:09 AM
    Sky's IPTV payg service Now TV has launched.

http://www.nowtv.com/home?filter=pay-and-play

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46511/sky-now-tv-movie-streaming-service
    Last edited by penrhyn; 17-07-2012 at 9:12 AM.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
Page 13
    • koru
    • By koru 12th Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    koru
    Once on Now TV, episodes will remain available for several months, at least.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Not in all cases. The last series of Game of Thrones was available for only a few weeks. By the time they were showing the later episodes in the series, the first ones in the same series had already disappeared. (But I'm sure they will be back soon.)

Similarly, the latest series of The Americans had only a few weeks of lifespan.

It probably depends on who owns the rights. Fox and HBO might only allow short windows. Most of the stuff made by Sky seems to stay on forever.
    koru
    • Beremy
    • By Beremy 12th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Beremy
    The Chat Line person I spoke to (mind was like pulling teeth and still didn't get any straight answers to the questions I really wanted to know and refused to transfer me to someone who might be able to help) said there were plans to introduce a recordable Now tv box. It would mean going out and buying another box most likely
    • koru
    • By koru 12th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    koru
    wondering if it really is cheaper than sky.
    Originally posted by Beremy
    It depends partly on how you use NowTV. Official price for Entertainment = 12x7.99 = £95 per year, if you just let it autorenew each month.

But if you buy passes on eBay, there's no need to pay more than £3 per month. And you can skip chunks of the year. eg, I bought a 3 month pass in the summer, to watch GoT, and at the same time I have caught up on everything else I wanted to watch on NowTV. I probably won't buy another pass for 6 months or so, when I will catch up again. So this year it cost me £9.
    koru
    • koru
    • By koru 12th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    koru
    The Chat Line person I spoke to (mind was like pulling teeth and still didn't get any straight answers to the questions I really wanted to know and refused to transfer me to someone who might be able to help) said there were plans to introduce a recordable Now tv box. It would mean going out and buying another box most likely
    The Sky box can record downloads, so I wouldn't be surprised. It would be a big improvement, in my view. I imagine they will have a way to prevent you for watching recordings if you don't have a live NowTV pass.
    koru
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 12th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 4,594 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Can't quite see the economic sense of that ...effectively undercutting even more,their own Sky packages via satellite
    • koru
    • By koru 12th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    koru
    Can't quite see the economic sense of that ...effectively undercutting even more,their own Sky packages via satellite
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    With the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime offering much lower prices than Sky TV for entertainment shows, perhaps Sky judge that the future inevitably lies with streaming. Better to self-cannibalise than let Netflix and Amazon gradually steal all your customers (other than those who will always pay a premium for exclusive sport content).
    koru
    • Ames
    • By Ames 17th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 29,011 Thanks
    Ames
    Now TV
    Hi all, I've tried looking on the Now TV website but can't find the answer.

If I buy a Now TV box and pass from somewhere like Argos can I wait to activate it until January?

If I buy the NowTV pass currently advertised on their website (12 month entertainment pass for £45 that's activated straight away, right?

I'm just trying to work out the cheapest/easiest way of switching from Sky to NowTV.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 17th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Yes you can.
    And £3.75 a month v £38 a month for sky box sets is a no brainer. No ammount of discounts from sky retentions can beat that.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    There's also a £99 NowTV deal available which is Movies and Entertainment that works out to £8.25 a month for both of them.

Have to be careful when looking at NowTV offers as they're all different lengths and different packages, its not always obvious you're comparing apples to apples, so to speak.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Nov 17, 11:45 PM
    • 9,507 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Here's the link for anyone who's interested. These offers are flagged "New Customers only".

http://www.nowtv.com/black-friday-deals

The £99 Entertainment + Cinema deal appears to be available to lapsed customers, too on the link below.

http://www.nowtv.com/home/existing

... tempting.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 18-11-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 18th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Went for the £99 existing customer deal yesterday, will be giving Sky notice on Monday as my one year deal ends in December going up from £45 to £92 per month.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 18th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 29,011 Thanks
    Ames
    Brilliant, thank you everyone.

I think I'll sign up for the year's entertainment pass, so any pass that comes with a box will be redundant.

• p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 18th Nov 17, 2:22 PM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 5,563 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Brilliant, thank you everyone.

I think I'll sign up for the year's entertainment pass, so any pass that comes with a box will be redundant.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Noticed this morning that Sainsbury's have their boxes half price at the moment - £12.50 for a box with (I think) either two months entertainment pass or 1 months cinema. Probably the cheapest you'll be able to get a box for. (And it's theirs a nectar double up runnning at present if you have nectar points).
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 18th Nov 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Same at Argos as well, £12.50 for the same products (hardly surprising as they're owned by Sainsburys )
    • Ames
    • By Ames 18th Nov 17, 5:31 PM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 29,011 Thanks
    Ames
    I was looking at the Argos one but I think I'd rather pay the extra and get a NowTV smart box for £20 (PC World). The Argos one isn't full HD.

Although I'm also thinking of upgrading my TV as my current one's 7 years old and starting to play up, so if I can get a smart tv which can get Now TV through an app I might as well do that.

PC World box here: https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/now-tv-hd-smart-tv-box-2-months-movies-bundle-10153783-pdt.html

• Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 18th Nov 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    The black Now TV boxes are capable of 1080p as is the Smart box, but Now TV limits streaming to 720P, only HD broadcasts would be 1080i/p on the Smart box at the moment.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 18-11-2017 at 5:38 PM.
    • mamazaac
    • By mamazaac 23rd Nov 17, 10:39 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    mamazaac
    Now TV Question
    I am looking at maybe getting one of the NowTv boxes which comes with a 3 month Sky Cinema pass. At the end of the 3 months, can I cancel the pass and then immediately add a new one? The passes are 241 at the moment, so £9.99 for 2 months, (and from what I can see online, they are valid for 12 months) and if I purchase through TCB that is another £5.50 off. This would seem to be so much better than just continuing with the subscription that I am wondering if it is allowed, or whether the passes can only be used by new customers. Can anyone clarify this for me please?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 23rd Nov 17, 11:10 AM
    • 9,507 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    There is a lot of noise around pass validity for existing customers with Now TV. I think they need to sort it out, because I find it something of a barrier to re-subscribing.

There are certainly "new customer" offers. And there are some eBay sellers who give similar warnings for the passes they sell (which are very cheap).

OTOH, there are no such warnings on, for example, the Argos Now TV bundle listings, which means that if they didn't work, you could easily get a refund.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • koru
    • By koru 23rd Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    koru
    I am looking at maybe getting one of the NowTv boxes which comes with a 3 month Sky Cinema pass. At the end of the 3 months, can I cancel the pass and then immediately add a new one? The passes are 241 at the moment, so £9.99 for 2 months, (and from what I can see online, they are valid for 12 months) and if I purchase through TCB that is another £5.50 off. This would seem to be so much better than just continuing with the subscription that I am wondering if it is allowed, or whether the passes can only be used by new customers. Can anyone clarify this for me please?
    Originally posted by mamazaac
    As long as the terms of the second pass are not restricted to new customers, you should be fine. I only ever use passes.

Note, you can cancel as soon as you activate the pass. The pass will remain active.
    koru
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 23rd Nov 17, 5:21 PM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 4,165 Thanks
    Nick_C
    As long as the terms of the second pass are not restricted to new customers, you should be fine. I only ever use passes.

Note, you can cancel as soon as you activate the pass. The pass will remain active.
    Originally posted by koru
    Thanks for that. I activated one a couple of days ago that I bought back in April. I thought I might have to wait 14 days.

Its good to see they are now selling cheap passes on line, as I feel slightly guilty about buying boxes I don't need just to get cheap passes! Although I've also bought the boxes for the cheap Avios that you get from the frequent Tesco offers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter