Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,703Posts
    • 36,143Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 166
    • dannie
    • By dannie 17th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Oops thought it was Saturday when I did my last post. The ice had cleared by the weekend. Just one "yellow sticker" vegetable food purchase was made during the weekend.

Previously prepared freezer food now had = 10 recipes (Batch cooked so several of each).

14 days to go to see if 3 from 4 freezer drawers can be emptied by the end of the year.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 21st Dec 17, 6:32 AM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Since my last post, progress has been inconsistent. Sometimes, it looks like 2.5 drawers (not 3) from 4 emptied is possible by the end of the year. Other times, things seem like nothing has changed from the start of the year.

Two trips out resulted in two outcomes. No food spends and a "yellow-sticker" vegetable glut; all 50% off whereby most of it may have been ordered next week.

Previously prepared freezer food now had = 12 recipes (Batch cooked so several of each).
    Last edited by dannie; 21-12-2017 at 6:38 AM.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 22nd Dec 17, 4:24 AM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Previously prepared freezer food now had = 13 recipes (Batch cooked so several of each).

Yesterday's recipe was a type of malt loaf slice that I had previously made. On the whole, most of what is being used up is fine or needs slight "altering".
    • dannie
    • By dannie 24th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Previously prepared freezer food now had = 14 recipes (Batch cooked so several of each).

Not been out today and no festive season (food) purchases. Online (food) shopping should be next week.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 25th Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Previously prepared freezer food now had = 15 recipes (Batch cooked so several of each).

There was no weekend (food) shopping purchased. Started to fill the freezer with some of the vegetables acquired last Thursday. Not feeling positive today about 2.5 or 3 freezer drawers emptied by the end of this year. Will keep trying!
    • dannie
    • By dannie 26th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Now had = 16 batch cooked recipes. Today's was the last of some homemade vegetable burgers.

It has been handy using up "stores" during this winter season.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 27th Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Now had = 17 batch cooked recipes. Today's was some homemade bread.

Nearly 2018 now and hence then to assess what results/progress was made with this challenge.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 29th Dec 17, 6:24 AM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    No change yesterday regarding the amount of freezer food used up which is my present first aim. Nevertheless, fridge and cupboards items are being used.

The local food store had a lot of Christmas items half price but didn't want anything. Also, my online (food) grocery order which was just the "basics" (i.e. tea, milk and cream) arrived but approx. 75% less than ordered. Anyway, will use homemade "milk" substitutes as an option.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 29th Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Currently 19 batch cooked freezer recipes used up.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 31st Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    Hi, just a quick note to say that my update regarding my freezer challenge will be done soon as possible.
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 31st Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 10,823 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Hi, just a quick note to say that my update regarding my freezer challenge will be done soon as possible.
    Originally posted by dannie
    Oh, you've just reminded me! That's another thing to do before the year ends...

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 31st Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 10,823 Thanks
    Frogletina
    v

Foods in the freezer past the bb date

Fry's vegetarian beef style strips
    Pastry
    1 cheese and onion pasty

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice
    carrots
    root ginger
    stir fry

In my cupboards

custard powder - don't know when I last made custard
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    almond flour
    millet

marmite
    oats - I use in muesli, but not made it for a while - new resolution
    sponge flour - no idea when I will use this up
    1 packet of coconut flour - no idea when I will use this up
    2 packets of crisps
    thai curry paste
    lemon cheese
    Self raising flour - no idea when I will use this up
    Plain flour - no idea when I will use this up
    Gluten free flour - no idea when I will use this up
    Thai curry paste - packet for 10 -12 servings - will take ages to finish and I have more in date ones
    Tin thai curry - not ever tried this, waiting for the day I decide to try it
    Keralam curry - not ever tried this, waiting for the day I decide to try it
    coconut oil x 2 - one started, not using as quickly as I thought

PG tips and Nescafe - I don't drink either so depends on who visits as to when they get used up

December's food left as follows

basmati rice - I'm not that good with rice, tend to use tilda packets
    cathedral city spreadable - use tomorrow
    cream - use tomorrow

I've also home made frozen vegetarian rissoles, and two type of buns using coconut flour in the freezer - obviously no best before dates, but must not forget them.
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    Now I have to write up in my book what is to be used in January.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • dannie
    • By dannie 1st Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    dannie
    December 2017 challenge to use up freezer batch-cooked recipes made before 7/12/17 and empty three freezer drawers before the end of 2017:-

- In 3 weeks approx., the total amount of recipes used up were 19.

- 2 freezer drawers were emptied. Another drawer with careful arranging could make it 1/3. It's difficult to be precise so "at a guess" = 2 and a 1/3 of another.

P.S. Thanks for the update Frogletina.
    Last edited by dannie; 01-01-2018 at 1:11 PM.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 1st Jan 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 11,044 Thanks
    Florence J
    Used up a big bag of frozen bananas to make banana muffins. That depletes my stock of them a little bit.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2195.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3168.45/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 2nd Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 13,927 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Happy New Year everyone. I would like to join back. I'm on a final declutter this January. To be honest, I'm mostly there, apart from the Pantry/Store Cupboard, but it's 80% better than it was. I had a bit of help with the freezer, the lodger came home on New Years Eve plastered and didn't shut the freezer. It must of been late, as I didn't crash 'till 4am. Anyway, it was an accident. Thrown loads of fruit, but lots of other stuff was retrievable, it's all vegan, so not much that can kill you (hopefully). Anyway, baby steps for me. The plan
    Week 1 I intend to just spend £5 on fridge stuff. Only need tomatoes for salad stuff. I have made batches of onion & garlic soup, bubble & sweet burgers (brussels & sweet potato) some coleslaw and today I'm going to be making some more spicy lentil dip and some tomato soup. That will be it.
    GC January £23.20/80, Alcohol 0/£20, Bulk Buy £34.55 (left)
    Save 12k in 2017 # = £500/£5,000
    Clothes, Wardrobe, Bric a Brac, Books, Drawers, Bags, Shoes, Bedding, Toiletries, Kitchen, Paper n Pantry
    • lynneee
    • By lynneee 3rd Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    lynneee
    hi, I haven't been here for a couple of years but I need to save some money and I have plenty of food! My freezer has plenty of yellow stickered bargains in it, my cupboards have lots of food in them so I just need to save myself a shopping trip or two, and have a few smaller ones where I only buy necessities rather than keep buying stuff I need. I'm a sucker for looking at the reduced to clear stuff!!! So lots of bargains, but none of them are bargains if they just sit in the freezer for ever.
    Rule of 3 decluttering challenge 2018: 009/1080
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 4th Jan 18, 2:48 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    hi everyone
    I am attempting to eat out of my freezer. I seem to be good at prepping and freezing foods but not so good at revisiting them and using them up.

I now have one freezer drawer empty but hope to empty at least another one by Christmas.
    I will them have some room to freeze bread, milk, butter etc. just in-case the bad weather comes and I am not able to go out for essentials.

So next week will see me making soup with some of the bags of prepped carrots, leeks etc. I have in the freezer.
    I also hope to bake using up some of the oddments in my baking cupboard. E.g. half packets of choc chips, walnuts, dates.

No doubt some of the baking will find a home in my freezer.
    Originally posted by Highland Fling
    Hi everyone,

Like you HighlandFling I am attempting to eat out of my freezer but not put anything back in. However my efforts are being scuppered by my DH - he kindly does the shopping (an excuse to take the motorbike out for a run!) but quite often adds to the shopping list that I have lovingly prepared. Means I have to rejig the menu planner which I have specifically designed to use up freezer & larder contents I still love him to bits though!

Mrs SD
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 5th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 8,320 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    my type of plan, don't seem to have that much stockpile though haha .was reading some peoples food budgets - sometimes the monthly is more than what i want to spend in a year... will just need to see how it goes.
    29.41/£31 January grocery challenge(£365 year)
    20,000 step a day challenge
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 19,434 Thanks
    caronc
    Happy New Year everyone!
    Jumping back in as (of course) my freezers/cupboards are full post Christmas.
    First shop of 2018 today so cupboards and freezer update:
    In: Teabags, cuppa soup, lentils, pkt cous cous, pork joint (surplus from New Year), ciabatta rolls, LO peppercorn sauce, frozen spinach
    Out: nothing
    Used up: Greek Yoghurt, mushrooms, tomato, olive oil
    GC - Jan £39/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 19,434 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: baked beans, cuppa soup
    Used up: Eggs, oatcakes, jarred peppers
    GC - Jan £39/£120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,684Posts Today

9,236Users online

Martin's Twitter