PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• Well I have started, done a meal plan for week
    29/12 Used up sausage bake as soup, Cheese & egg on muffins.
    30th left over soup, pork chop, jkt pot, brussels (got big bag in other freezer
    31st Make soup from fresh carrots & freezer veg Cooked mince & pasta
    1st Make curry(cupboard pkt) either mince (if left over) or frozen turkey from 2nd drawer & spinach (other freezer) & rice.
    2nd Pork medallion with roast pots (other freezer) & peas from 2nd drawer
    3rd HM sausage & stuffing pasty
    4th Hospital app so prob eat out
    Thats all for now, no spends at all, have fresh/frozen/dried pots, frozen/dried/long life milk, freezer bread and bread m/c stuff and fresh veg as well as tinned/pkts/jars, rice/couscouse/pasta etc ect. Only thing I will need to buy in next week or so is 1kg oats (79p) eggs. feeling optomistic at the moment. Do not worry about dates on pkt & jars if not been opened.
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Please may I join in?

Freezer is OK as HM meals/soups are used in date order - nothing in there older than Nov 2016.

Cupboards are another matter. Lots of seeds and approx. 5 kg of red lentils which were bought cheaply OOD all need using so as there is only myself and occasionally OH eating, will need to be creative with recipes to prevent boredom.

Also have an excess of food supplements which need to be used before going OOD so will add these in to the plan.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I got through my freezers quicky, it was a house move that meant I binned almost everything lol, only kept things like mince, chicken, I had a lot of blocks of cheese in there which took up most of room.

It also means I can buy some stuff from butchers without worrying I have a freezer full of stuff.
  • Came home for the night from DDs but will be back there tomorrow until Monday evening My neighbour gave me a huge one kilo round of blue stilton cheese that her boss had bought her, and she was too embarrased to tell them she doesn't like blue cheese, so its been portioned up and after a bit of freezer tetris its in my freezer :):):) I shall be looking for lots of recipes to help use it up None of my DDs like blue cheese either so I will have to work my way through it :):):)
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2016 at 7:16PM
    Well I have used from my freezer: a turkey dinner for Hubby(hm in meal prep container),parsnips,sprouts,carrots,2 linda Macartney sausages and veggie chilli which is in the fridge for tomorrow.

It is a start:-)

Spent £15 in Morries on fruit , veg and breadrolls
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    JackieO wrote: »
    Came home for the night from DDs but will be back there tomorrow until Monday evening My neighbour gave me a huge one kilo round of blue stilton cheese that her boss had bought her, and she was too embarrased to tell them she doesn't like blue cheese, so its been portioned up and after a bit of freezer tetris its in my freezer :):):) I shall be looking for lots of recipes to help use it up None of my DDs like blue cheese either so I will have to work my way through it :):):)
    My mum makes a nice broccoli and stilton quiche.

Just make the quiche 'custard' as you normally would and add in the broccoli and stilton. I actually can't remember if you steam the broccoli first, but I will check with her tomorrow if I remember :)
  • Any ideas to use paste (crab/sardine/salmon). I do like on toast but would like to try something different.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Any ideas to use paste (crab/sardine/salmon). I do like on toast but would like to try something different.

I'd be tempted to try it stuffed inside big mushrooms or peppers and serve with a side salad.

I need to do a list of everything we have in to start using it all up but today I'm planning on carbonara with left over ham and omlettes with a little bit of a cheese mountain we have left.

Also going to use up a cherry pie and carton of custard.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    You could do with leftover paste what I do with any hummus which needs used up: whisk into a couple of eggs with some grated cheese, and cook as an omelette. Any tired veg can get chopped in and fried first.
  • What a brilliant idea with left over Hummus I will try to remember that one.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family