Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,499Posts
    • 35,672Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 165
    • caronc
    • By caronc 25th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 17,784 Thanks
    caronc
    In: pizza
    Out: pork chop, cooked chicken breast
    Used up: turned a lurking part back of spuds into mash as they were begining to go soft. Creme fraiche
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 17,784 Thanks
    caronc
    In: mash, tattie scones
    Out: stuffing, lorne
    Used up: LO mushroom/onion sauce
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 26th Nov 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 10,140 Thanks
    Florence J
    IN

Nothing

OUT

Broccoli, Carrots, Parsnip,

USED UP

Meat pies, Vegetarian Pies, Yorkshire puddings, LO Vegetable curry
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2100.15
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • dannie
    • By dannie 27th Nov 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    For my mini-challenge, 13.5/15.5 of the selected items used up.

By the end of this month challenge, achieved again, i.e. 2 out of 4 freezer drawers currently empty.

No local weekend shopping so no food purchases.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 27th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 17,784 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: stewing steak, ragu, soup, spaghetti, parmesan
    Used up: cottage cheese, small piece of LO chicken breast
    • dannie
    • By dannie 1st Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    Since 27/11/17:-

Mini challenge to use up 15.5 selected food items = 1 currently left.
    By the end of the month (November 2017) challenge = achieved (2 out of 4 freezer drawers remained empty).

There have been a few food purchases. All of them were "big" reductions on regularly bought food. My online (food) grocery order will be next week instead of this week.

Once the mini challenge is completed, I will think of another approach in order to make progress with the third freezer drawer.
    Last edited by dannie; 01-12-2017 at 4:41 PM.
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 2nd Dec 17, 6:54 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 15,219 Thanks
    celyn90
    I am trying to use up some of the weird stuff we have, so today I made a gluten-free date and peanut butter cake. I was a bit dubious (recipe was on the back of a small tub of quinoa flour which has been lurking in the cupboard) - but it was amazing. Never would have guessed it was not normal cake - tasted like a really light nutty sticky toffee pudding.

(recipe is this one: https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/sticky-toffee-peanut-butter-cake) I substituted the treacle for golden syrup and a tablespoon of the peanut butter with hazelnut butter, bunged it in a loaf tin and it rose much better than the one in the image.

OUT: a small tub of odd flour a year out of date, half a packet of dates and the end of a tub of truly vile hazelnut spread.

Also used up the last of a bottle of maple syrup, and the last bits of a tub of caramel sauce. And a tin of peas (not in the same meal )
    beware of geeks bearing .gifs...

Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
    • dannie
    • By dannie 3rd Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    The cake sounds tasty celyn90.

Weekend shopping was just one purchase (store cupboard item/500gr sultanas). My online (food) grocery order might not be next week after all, so a big gap in order to use up what I have at the moment. Still one item remains to have for my mini challenge.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 5th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    Still slowly using up the last food item for my mini challenge. Also, planning my next challenge. Ideally, I would like to end the year with three empty freezer drawers. It will have taken me all year!

Today was a food spend day; three packets reduced price mushrooms and two food flavourings. Lots of tempting reductions available but didn't bother, knowing that I already had similar of these at home.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 17,784 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm going to pick back up up on this in the New Year as I'm now in "festive catering mode" though still trying to focus on basing my meals around what I have in.
    • Highland Fling
    • By Highland Fling 6th Dec 17, 5:03 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Highland Fling
    hi everyone
    I am attempting to eat out of my freezer. I seem to be good at prepping and freezing foods but not so good at revisiting them and using them up.

I now have one freezer drawer empty but hope to empty at least another one by Christmas.
    I will them have some room to freeze bread, milk, butter etc. just in-case the bad weather comes and I am not able to go out for essentials.

So next week will see me making soup with some of the bags of prepped carrots, leeks etc. I have in the freezer.
    I also hope to bake using up some of the oddments in my baking cupboard. E.g. half packets of choc chips, walnuts, dates.

No doubt some of the baking will find a home in my freezer.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 6th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    Thanks caronc for the message. Also, hi to Highland Fling. Good Luck.

No spend day. Tidied up the fridge contents today. Some went into the freezer whereas other bits which had been previously made for the wild birds went out to their feeding area.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 7th Dec 17, 10:04 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Oh Highland Fling, so pleased I am not the only one. Just prepped 1 kg carrots, some maple batons, rounds and chunks. Bag of peelings to make stock, about 5 bags of soup. Why have I bought a pork joint and a gammon joint (only me) made mincemeat ^ ginger squares - frozen now, love to prep and cook but then seem to lose interest. Was thinking of putting some stew in SC whilst I am out for lunch and that would make 2 or 3 so you have helped me to not do it, will take one of the already frozen jacket pots out for tea instead. Thanks.x
    • dannie
    • By dannie 7th Dec 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    For my mini challenge, I have 2/3 left of the remaining 1 sweet beignet. Two freezer drawers are still empty. The other two drawers largely consists of previously made recipes, so that makes three of us!
    • dannie
    • By dannie 8th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    For my mini challenge, just 1/2 left of the remaining 1 sweet beignet recipe which is divided into three portions.

Had an errand today but didn't also go to the nearby supermarket therefore no spend day. Have begun to make a list of previously prepared freezer food items (i.e. made before 7/12/17) that I have now had. Don't know, at this stage, if three empty freezer drawers will be empty by end 2017.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 10th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    dannie
    As I wondered, the winter weather has prevented my usual local weekend shopping so no food purchased. Consequently, an opportunity to use up what I have. The completion of my mini challenge is still in progress. My (above) mentioned list of previously prepared freezer food (made before 7/12/17) now had = 4 recipes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,642Posts Today

7,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting result so far in my Twitter Poll double header... While 50% prefer GIVING gift vouchers to cash, 70% pr? https://t.co/zKgxQfLNAb

• Today's twitter poll PART 2: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/YMr1VUflay

• Today's twitter poll PART 1: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/OfKhh4pF2w

• Follow Martin