Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,176Posts
    • 34,882Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 157
    • dannie
    • By dannie 14th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    dannie
    Last Tuesday and Wednesday : - Had to go on a few errands recently for non-food items. There were lots of very good food reductions but didn't purchase any. An online purchase for some food flavourings (33% off) was made but didn't take up much cupboard space. Still using up ingredients but very slowly.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 14th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,741 Thanks
    kboss2010
    In: 3 HM scones
    chicken sausages
    HM Jamie Oliver pesto pasta sauce
    1/2 pizza

Out: 2 slices of bacon
    handful of cheese
    Plum pastry
    1/2 bag HM potato wedges
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,878 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    My quest for using up stuff in the freezer under the fridge continues.

Yesterday: I made use of 300gm beef mince - 6 beef burgers, 3 eaten and 3 to put in bread for DH lunch.
    Two small portions of HM icecream, one was lemon flavour the other blackberry - strange combination in the bowl but no one complained.
    Half cooked roasties, bits of frozen onion slices and frozen chillies.

Today's challenge:- I need to get creative with 4 pork and apple sausages and I've some uncooked crumble topping and some cheese that needs attacking. I'll have another rummage later.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 194.66/300 £108.98 left
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 15th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 6,345 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    The freezer is definitely getting there - I have just got out the remains of the Indian takeaways for the second Thali feast in 2 weeks.
    The bagel mountain is completely used up.
    We are down to lots of individual items as we are a family of 3.
    The next challenge is to use a packet of sausage meat that a friend left with us by accident - I am going to have to search for recipes as it is not something we usually eat.
    Last edited by MallyGirl; 15-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,878 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    The freezer is definitely getting there - I have just got out the remains of the Indian takeaways for the second Thali feast in 2 weeks.
    The bagel mountain is completely used up.
    We are down to lots of individual items as we are a family of 3.
    The next challenge is to use a packet of sausage meat that a friend left with us by accident - I am going to have to search for recipes as it is not something we usually eat.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Try mixing with apple and herbs and make a plait with puff pastry?

Today's challenge from the freezer under the fridge.
    Small fillet steak, maybe a beef wellington but I've no mushrooms and I'd have to make a bit of pate. Maybe I'll look at the 4 pork and apple sausages instead, maybe a mini sausage plait or I believe at that size it could be termed sausage rolls?? I'm also going to use some of the uncooked crumble topping as I've some windfalls.
    I quite enjoy seeing just how far the food goes. I'm on a diet but I don't mind cooking a different meal for DH as cooking is one of my hobbies.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 15-09-2017 at 2:28 PM.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 16th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,741 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Out: cheese
    Beans
    Bread

In: sausage casserole
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 16th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,878 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    My mini challenge of the emptying the freezer under the fridge before I restock.

Yesterday I used 2 pork and apple sausages which I took the skins off and made a plait with puff pastry for DH. Also used the uncooked crumble with windfalls and made 8 portions to go back in the freezers I found a piece of salmon which was OK for me.

Today I've found what appears to be a portion of beef casserole. Once defrosted I'll either make mash or if there's a fair percentage of meat turn it into a pie. Another piece of fish for me again.
    Everything else needed was from fridge, cupboard or veg plot.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 17th Sep 17, 5:08 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    dannie
    Since my last post (14/9/17), it seems like nothing is changing but the amount of recycling from (food) packaged items seems to suggest otherwise. My (food) shopping weekend tendency has been no spends so far. Don't think I will bother shopping today?

Next week, I have the opportunity to obtain some online food groceries, so will determine what food choices are most appropriate to assist with this challenge.
    Last edited by dannie; 17-09-2017 at 5:11 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    I didn't get the length of updating the past few days so from memory:-
    In- lorne sausage
    Out- fishcakes, peas, tattie scones, steak, cooking bacon, red lentils
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 18th Sep 17, 4:03 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 14,363 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Out of freezer: tomatillo sauce, ground turkey both went into soup. Dessert was pecan pie. (Made two and froze this one last month)
    Who said it was easy. [Coldplay]
    • dannie
    • By dannie 18th Sep 17, 6:16 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    dannie
    It was a weekend free from (food) grocery shopping.

Presently using up the previously purchased "yellow sticker" packets of "tofoo" from the freezer. A provisional online (food) grocery order will be booked later today.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 18th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    My freezer is looking a lot better although I'm still working through all the really old stuff. It's got one shelf that has neatly stacked labelled boxes on now. The rest is still a mess.

I used up an ancient tin of 'mock pork' that I got ages ago in the Chinese supermarket in a stir fry over the weekend. It felt good to use up one of the odd random things out of the cupboard. Last night I was just cooking for me so I made a spag bol and managed to use up no less than 3 small bits of things - there was just enough spaghetti left in the packet for 1, a very small amount of quorn mince in the freezer and half a tin of chopped toms in the fridge. Very satisfying.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 18th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,878 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    The challenge of the freezer under the fridge went on hold yesterday as I took a large turkey crown out of the big meat freezer plus 2 sausages and a pk of streaky bacon. Defrosted crown - there's enough for many meals which I'll sort out today but I need to get a lot of individual meals put by with things that are happening at the moment.

Yesterday I made a sort of swiss roll with bacon at the bottom, battered thin turkey on top of that and then a layer of sausage meat from the two sausages mixed with a cooked chopped leek, a few chopped apricots, breadcrumbs and pepper all rolled up into a swiss roll - very acceptable and enough left for todays lunch with salad.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    In: chopped parsley, runner beans
    Out: cooked rice
    Used up: LO spicy chicken/veg. salt brisket, end of a jar of gherkins
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: chicken thighs
    Used up: lentil soup
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 20th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,878 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Yesterday I finally finished processing the turkey crown I took out of the freezer on Sunday.
    In:- 5 x turkey wellingtons (turkey , plus veg in a sauce wrapped in puff pastry)
    9 x 2 portion turkey rolls (swiss roll made of bacon, turkey and a stuffing, either sausagemeat, apricots, breadcrumbs, onion, chestnuts, or sage and onion stuffing)
    4 x 2 portion turkey casserole/pie that just needs a topping
    2 x turkey stock
    6 x 2 portion turkey soup made with all the bits left on the carcass plus the carcass.
    Not a bad haul but it was a large crown.

Out:- icecream
    rest from fridge and veg plot.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 6,345 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    out: 1 kiev, 1 breaded cod, 1 fishcake (we are a family of 3 and always end up with a freezer full of single items).

in: spag bol for 1, chilli for 2. For a night when we need something quick and easy - DD doesn't like kidney beans so she has the spag bol.

I am definitely getting there
    • dannie
    • By dannie 20th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    dannie
    I received my online (food) groceries yesterday. They were kept to the very minimum. It should be another two weeks before another order is made. Again, my plan is to make some progress in using up present "food stocks". Keep taking out items from the freezer but still a long process yet.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: sausages, mash
    Used up: end of a crusty loaf, streaky bacon and broccoli
    • caronc
    • By caronc 21st Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: meatballs in tom sauce, spaghetti, parmesan, pastrami
    Used up: pate

Largeish shop arriving tomorrow with a few wants rather than needs in it but hey ho......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,540Posts Today

4,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin