Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,429Posts
    • 35,497Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 156
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 8th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 8,918 Thanks
    phizzimum
    I really need to get back into this challenge. My freezer is bursting at the seams again! Some of that is produce from the allotment, but we still have stuff from last summer.

Went shopping today and I'm proud to say I have added nothing to the freezer. DH is cooking tonight - fish curry with fish from freezer, so that's a step in right direction
    weaving through the chaos...
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 17,189 Thanks
    caronc
    In: tea bags, cooking oil
    Out: chicken wings, ciabatta roll, cupasoup
    Used up: lettuce, cucumber
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 8th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Out: Steak pie & chips
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Sep 17, 12:01 AM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 9,742 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Totally blown it today. I had a £20 off Waitr... voucher if I spent a £100, so using the waitr.. website combined with 'my favourites' and also using mysupermarket.com I managed to find things on offer plus get an extra 20% off so I managed to get a £221 shop for just £80.20p. Everything I will use but unfortunately most of it has ended up in the freezers.

In sausages, bacon, mince,
    Out nothing
    Used up cupboards etc:- vegetables, strawberries, cream, chocolate.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • dannie
    • By dannie 9th Sep 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    dannie
    Keep removing small packages of reduced price bread from the freezer and also using up my (free) blackberries and plums. Two items in jars (small amount of salt and tahini) have been finished.

No money has been spent on food since my online (food) grocery order. However, keep putting into the freezer perishables in exchange for something coming out. Also, I was given a big box of turnip greens which after sorting are 1.5kg approx. These are now in the fridge along with more batch cooked items.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 15,511 Posts
    • 126,435 Thanks
    JackieO
    Its a week now since I went shopping and all of my meals have been from mainly stuff from the freezer tonights will be shep's pie with added steamed fresh cabbage from the fridge Lunch will be probably tuna and sweetcorn salad the salad from the stuff I got last saturday ,still fresh and useable and the tuna and sweetcorn from tins in the cupboard. No shopping if possible for me
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 17,189 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing - I actually have a little space in the freezer which is fab as I will have stuff from the garden to freeze over coming weeks
    Out: Ciabatta roll, lamb chops.
    Used up: creme fraiche
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 9th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Out: butternut squash "spaghetti"
    Sweet potato "spaghetti"
    1/2 bag each of peas & sweetcorn
    Bamboo shoots
    Bag of frozen mixed peppers
    1 packet of soba noodles
    Tin of chickpeas
    Tin of chicken in white sauce
    LO pastry

In:HM mini chicken pies

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 9,742 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    In nothing
    Out 1pk of mince for cottage pie, frozen peas, frozen bits of ham, 2 x white rolls, crumble topping.
    cupboards, fridge and store:- potatoes, carrots, sweetcorn, swede, onion, gravy granulates, apples, cream, chocolate, banana,

Made pea and ham soup for lunch
    Cottage pie for dinner but I had just a very small amount of meat with loads of vegetables and a topping of swede and carrot mash. DH had a traditional cottage pie.
    I'm on a diet so I regularly cook two separate meals so it was quite nice to sit down to a meal that was almost the same for each of us.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 10th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    In: nothing
    Out: chicken curry pie
    Handful of mixed frozen veg
    Handful of frozen peas
    1 cup brown rice
    1 tsp hoi sin sauce
    3 mini slices of quiche
    1 portion of HM spag bol

~ Lifehouse
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 10th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 10,625 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Quite a big update today - I'm going on holiday on 18th September so I want to use up as much as I can before then.

Foods in the freezer past the bb date

Fry's vegetarian beef style strips
    tagliatelli

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice
    carrots
    root ginger
    stir fry

In my cupboards

custard powder
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    almond flour
    millet
    marmite
    oats
    sponge flour
    2 packets of coconut flour
    2 packets of crisps
    thai curry paste
    lemon cheese

That's 20 items - I started the month with 29 items.

I will use the stir fry up tomorrow with some of the beef style strips.

My granddaughter is visiting tomorrow so she will be looking for crisps! They are out of date because Sainsbury's left them on the shelf past their BB date, but only by two weeks. I might also send her home with the green thai curry paste, only a month past its BB date - plus a tin of coconut milk (in date).

Carrots are going soft - may add more of these to the stir fry and throw out the rest of them

The lime and lemon juice will be thrown out soon, just keeping in case I make some pancakes before my holiday. Also I have golden syrup to use by end of September, so in reality by 18th September. I'd like to use up the lemon cheese too before my holiday.

The root ginger will make a drink - maybe tomorrow

The breadcrumbs I use to coat rissoles, to make more I'll need to get a couple of onions and then I will freeze the rissoles. This will use up some bread too.

The millet hasn't been opened - I meant to buy millet flakes. I must try it though before it gets a year out of date!

The oats I use for muesli, when I remember!

The marmite really never goes out of date, but I am nearing the end of the pot and some will go into the rissoles. I tried to buy some XO Marmite recently only to find it is no longer on sale. I had 3 jars at one point and they lasted for a long time, and the current one is the one with gold flakes in (not real, unfortunately)

The custard powder is dated August 2017, and I always have bought this in a tin but I never use enough to have it before its best before date. Also I'm only using rice milk now so not sure how it would work with that. I think it will be fine for a while yet.

The flours will take a while, but I'm hoping to make a dent in them after my holiday, plus I think that's when I'll eat the tagliatelli.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 11th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Out: chicken curry pie
    Mashed potato

~ Lifehouse
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 17,189 Thanks
    caronc
    In: broad beans and brambles from the garden
    Out: Ciabatta roll, seafood sticks, portion chicken soup (given to my Dad). portion ragu, pitta bread
    Used up: cheese spread, 2kg homegrown tomatoes made into sauce, 1 kg shallots now peeled and brining for pickle
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 9,742 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    In:- loads of Bramley apples
    Out: 2 turkey drumsticks, 2 pieces bread, blackberries
    Rest from fridge and cupboards and pantry/store, veg plot.

Caronc:- I went to pick some more blackberries from our hedges but the rain has ruined them all, hopefully there'll be some later this week as I need some to put in vodka or brandy.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 12th Sep 17, 5:59 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    dannie
    Since my last post (9/9/17) :-

Finished the (free) plums and some of the (free) blackberries as snacks hence creating bits of space. Still a lot of (free) turnip greens to use up.

(Special offer) vegetable stock pots are being used to make some food items more tasty. Current fridge stored ingredients/recipes are prepared ready to eat into more manageable portions.

Just one spend (reduction) at the weekend obtained that covered two meals which was had with current food "stock".
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Sep 17, 6:15 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 14,483 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Used really old Minute Rice tonight when I made garlic/onion fried rice as a side dish.
    Another box gone from the pantry!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 17,189 Thanks
    caronc
    In:- loads of Bramley apples
    Out: 2 turkey drumsticks, 2 pieces bread, blackberries
    Rest from fridge and cupboards and pantry/store, veg plot.

Caronc:- I went to pick some more blackberries from our hedges but the rain has ruined them all, hopefully there'll be some later this week as I need some to put in vodka or brandy.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Fingers crossed - if not the SM frozen ones work very well

Yesterday
    Out: "ping" ready meal, oven chips
    Used up: pate

Today
    In: runner beans, tomato sauce
    Out: mince, chicken soup
    Used up: egg mayo, chard, sherry & white wine vinegar- turned a couple of bags of shallots into pickle, spuds - made a huge pan of mash
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Sep 17, 12:12 AM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 9,742 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Out: An already cooked steak and kidney portion to make into a pie for one. frozen peas, turkey stock, profiteroles, roasties.
    Everything else from fridge, store cupboard or veg plot.

I'm trying to get the contents of the freezer under the fridge used up. I usually put all my bits and pieces of opened packets in there and leftovers.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 14th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I did manage to clear a whole shelf of my freezer but I've now mostly filled it again with batch cooked meals. I've realised it's the only way I'm going to be able to quickly get my LO's dinner on the table on week days now he's started school. When he was at nursery they fed him dinner but at after school club he only gets a snack so he's pretty hungry and it's fairly late for him by the time we walk home from there (about a mile from our house).

I'm still trying to clear some more space though as I don't want a packed freezer come Xmas. You need some space to file the surplus mince pies and sprouts. I seem to have lots of small packets of apple in the freezer so I'm thinking it's time for a big fat apple crumble at the weekend. And there's definitely some custard in there (although unlabelled so I may end up with cheese sauce instead - although apple and cheese could work?).
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 45,381 Thanks
    meg72
    Decided today that a use up few weeks is really required again as freezers chocablock and will need space for Christmas stuff. I already have the Gammon and turkeybreast but will need pork and beef. Really hoping to see a repeat of the £4 kg beef offer at Asda. They have done this for the last two years so fingers crossed.

So today stewing beef, sausage and bacon out.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter