Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,410Posts
    • 35,479Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 155
    • dannie
    • By dannie 4th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 3,488 Thanks
    dannie
    September 2017 so far -

Keep "using up" the items from "food stores" and trying not to make anything that will then end up in the food freezer. However, might find some more blackberries today!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,017 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: turkey kiev, tin of tomato soup, pea & barley rissotto, leek & parsley sauce
    Used up: pate, HM shortbread
    Last edited by caronc; 04-09-2017 at 8:55 PM.
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 4th Sep 17, 11:29 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    In - small weekly shop

Out - few bits of fruit, four sausages, half a packet of stuffing, the last of the spuds, the last of some ham, tin of hoops, finished a bottle of ketchup (only 4 left...!), bag of tortilla chips, two tubs of bolognese. Obviously not all on the same day!

There is now noticeably more room in my freezer, and the stock shelves are very slowly emptying. Feels good!

PG x
    Family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(10), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries.
    Sept £29.38/£100 Aug £124.60/£100 July £100/£100 June 2017, £113.38/£100.00
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 5th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    There is now noticeably more room in my freezer, and the stock shelves are very slowly emptying. Feels good!
    PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    I too can see the bottom of the freezer but I'm panicking - what do I do when it's empty?

In nothing
    Out pk of peas for pea and mint soup, 4 bread rolls,
    2 sausages wrapped in bacon, 4 frozen egg whites for an omelette.
    Fruit and veg from fridge and store
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,017 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: chicken stock, pizza dough, chicken scraps, salami
    Used up: barley rissotto (made soup)
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 5th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Hi all,

Zafiro, I think the idea is buy then use, buy then use! I'm very good at the buying...

Today,
    In - nothing (except pizza hut takeaway, does that count?)
    Out - last of a pack of brioches

PG x
    Family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(10), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries.
    Sept £29.38/£100 Aug £124.60/£100 July £100/£100 June 2017, £113.38/£100.00
    • dannie
    • By dannie 6th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 3,488 Thanks
    dannie
    During the last few days -

Collected 200gr (free) blackberries so have had some sprinkled with some sweetness and frozen the rest. Also, keep using up the previously frozen ones.

Defrosted and reorganised the fridge freezer recently. Quite close to emptying one drawer (again). Well stocked up generally but have noticed some storecupboard ingredients approaching/beyond the best before date. Currently using up ground up sunflower seeds as "milk" and also ground up in a sweet recipe.

Did some batch cooking afterall, so it will be difficult for some of these items not to end up back in the freezer! Somebody I know, who sometimes shops for me, purchased 5 x "tofoo" (reduced price 75p each) which are presently fridge stored. I have used this purchase as a way to minimise the amount of purchases concerning my next (food) grocery order.
    Last edited by dannie; 06-09-2017 at 6:43 AM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,830 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am now getting there with the freezer. The fridge is OK as I got it almost empty in the run up to a holiday and haven't gone crazy since.
    I have a 6ft tall freezer with nice big box drawers and each one has a purpose. After some concerted effort over the summer it now has nearly enough space for everything to be in the right drawer There is still a lot of food in there but the list is up to date and the family are on board with checking it/crossing items off when they use them.
    Its 3 1/2 months to Christmas and I want to be able to buy things in advance, when they are on offer, as everyone is coming to us this year.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 6th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I have a 6ft tall freezer with nice big box drawers and each one has a purpose. After some concerted effort over the summer it now has nearly enough space for everything to be in the right drawer There is still a lot of food in there but the list is up to date and the family are on board with checking it/crossing items off when they use them.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I'm trying to do the same idea but mine is complicated by seasonal happenings.
    I need space for any turkeys I don't manage to sell - last year it was 5, also my DH shoots over our land so pheasants, partridge, rabbit and venison all arrive for me to deal with, plus we have a friend who 'sea fishes'. I also have a veg and fruit plot plus loads of apples and pears from another friend. I've just frozen over 10L of apple juice - the peel and residue apple goes back to the turkeys - very little gets wasted here. By Christmas the freezers (4 of them) are groaning and I spend the next year working my way through things. It's hard work and certainly not as idyllic as it sounds.

In - apple juice
    Out:- precooked venison pie, ice cream,
    cupboards/fridge/veg plot - carrots, french beans, kale, tomatoes, pots. used up some cream
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,017 Thanks
    caronc
    In: broad beans
    Out: gnocchi
    Used up: tomato sauce, salami, mozzarella
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 6th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 7,804 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I really need to stop buying more stuff that needs freezing! My freezer is bursting.

I'm determined to make my lunches for the next few weeks solely from the contents of my cupboards & freezer. I have oodles of noodles, veg, beans & miso paste & with the temperatures dropping, warm lunches are starting to seem appealing again.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 7th Sep 17, 2:31 AM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 10,613 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I seem to be buying things at the moment to help me use up the things that I have in my stores.

I have flour that will soon pass its best before date. Last week I bought some sultanas so I can make some welsh cakes and today I bought butter, caster sugar, glace cherries and chocolate pieces which will make other pretty cakes. Plus I got some pastry which was silly as I can make pastry with the flour! So I'll probably freeze the bought pastry.

I don't even want to eat sweet things (well I do, but I reallyneed to lose weight!)

I'm sure that I'd save money if I just threw the flour away, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I've got plain and self raising flour, plus gluten free and coconut flour, and a little amount of almond flour.

I'll update my freezer and cupboard inventory soon, but it is taking forever to use up my stocks

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • dannie
    • By dannie 7th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 3,488 Thanks
    dannie
    6/9/2017 -

One of the freezer drawers is now empty. A few small packets of reduced price bread were removed.

My online (food) grocery purchases were kept to the minimum whereby the cost was largely for milk to last a month. The plan (again) is to use up a lot of my present "food stock" before the next food order; maybe in two weeks. I expect that this will take some time!
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 7th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Zafiro I totally get why you have 4 freezers after reading about your seasonal gluts. In one way it's great having all that lovely food but it also sounds like hard work

Frogletina - you can use plain flour for bread of you want to avoid too much sweet stuff. Thrifty Lesley has a recipe:

http://www.thriftylesley.com/cheapy-bread-rolls-2p-each-an-hour-from-start-to-finish/
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 7th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 7,804 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I seem to be buying things at the moment to help me use up the things that I have in my stores.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    Me too! I needed a bag of stir fry veg to use up my stores of miso paste, soba noodles & beans and some potatoes for my casserole.

There always seems to be something needed for using up ingredients.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,017 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: smoked haddock fishcake, oven chips, peas
    Used up: soup, bread, smoked cheddar
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 7th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 10,613 Thanks
    Frogletina
    [B]
    Frogletina - you can use plain flour for bread of you want to avoid too much sweet stuff. Thrifty Lesley has a recipe:

http://www.thriftylesley.com/cheapy-bread-rolls-2p-each-an-hour-from-start-to-finish/
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Oh, thanks for that - I will give that a go

cheers

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 7th Sep 17, 11:13 PM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 10,613 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Not a happy bunny tonight.

Bought a packet of 5 packs of Tyrells crisps today at Sainsbury's and it wasn't until I got home I found out they were already out of date!

I've dashed a quick email off to Sainsbury's - watch this space!

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 15,482 Posts
    • 126,235 Thanks
    JackieO
    Frogletina are they soft and by how much are they 'ood' ?

used up a gammon steak and mashed potatoes and veg all from the freezer last night and I am digging out some fish for tonight's dinner.No shopping being bought unless it really is necessary as I am going to empty that blooming freezer before christmas if I can
    After all its sitting there with lots of my cash converted into food so my purse is tucked away and I am doing my best to stay away from shops this month.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 8th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 10,613 Thanks
    Frogletina

Bought a packet of 5 packs of Tyrells crisps today at Sainsbury's and it wasn't until I got home I found out they were already out of date!

I've dashed a quick email off to Sainsbury's - watch this space!

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    Frogletina are they soft and by how much are they 'ood' ?
    Originally posted by JackieO
    They are only a month out of date, but still, they should have been removed from the shelf.

I have tried a packet, and they are a little soft, but I was really going to keep them for when the grandchildren came round.

I've already had a reply from Sainsbury's and they have added £2.50 worth of Nectar points to my card.

So, well done to them

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

4,841Users online

Martin's Twitter