Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,410Posts
    • 35,479Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 145
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 17,060 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: 2 crumpets, turkey breast steak
    Used up: 1/2 yellow pepper
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 7th Jul 17, 6:22 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 17,914 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    At last! The four 12-portion chicken pies are out and due to be used for today's community lunch (my turn to cook it). I made them with left-over chicken from when we made Sunday lunch for 70 people in March.

I am relieved to have a whole drawer back just as the berry fruit needs picking (5 bags of raspberries squidged in elsewhere but all the blackcurrants and gooseberries need to go in as I don't have time to deal with them all at the moment.

Can you freeze courgettes? we have something of a glut in the garden!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 7,786 Posts
    • 26,115 Thanks
    Primrose
    You CAN freeze courgettes but because they!re so full of water they're not the most successful vegs to freeze. If they have to be frozen I'd recommend picking them as small as possible and freezing whole. To cook when thawed, try cutting in half lengthways and griddling in a very hot pan. This will remove some of the moisture. If you boil them they become very mushy in my view. I wrap my surplus ones in a sheet of kitchen tissue and store in the fridge veg tray. They will keep in good condition for a week like that.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 126,278 Thanks
    JackieO
    In : Nothing
    Out: two eggs, some grated cheese,a diced red onion, three large mushrooms sliced up and a plate of crispy fried bacon bits left over from yesterday, also some left over pastry from the freezer ,enough to make a quiche for use over the weekend
    No shopping for me in this hot weather .also from the cupboard a packet of Greens cream caramel mix which I will make this morning for puddings I make it then put the bowl in the fridge when cold and just help myself for a dessert over the weekend Saves me buying yogurts which I have run out of anyway another packet mix gone from the cupboard I bought it ages ago reduced to 20p a bargain it will give me at least 4 portions of pud
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 60,674 Posts
    • 354,716 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Out: a few slices of red pepper and a few slices of red onion from the freezer, which have been dumped into a quick quiche.... which I am already hovering over as I am keen to eat it.

I've another to cook up as I used two eggs, which is two quiches, but I could only fit one in the (mini) oven at a time as I didn't have the right size/shape dish to cook it all at once.

There'll be some chips removed from the freezer later to accompany those
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 7th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    In - raspberries, nectarines
    Out - raspberries (!)

Oh bought me dinner yesterday, and I'm out for dinner tonight. I'm slowly working through a jar of muesli, which is taking aaaaaages to go. Off to look for what can be used tomorrow!

PG x
    Family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(10), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries.
    Sept £29.38/£100 Aug £124.60/£100 July £100/£100 June 2017, £113.38/£100.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 17,060 Thanks
    caronc
    At last! The four 12-portion chicken pies are out and due to be used for today's community lunch (my turn to cook it). I made them with left-over chicken from when we made Sunday lunch for 70 people in March.

I am relieved to have a whole drawer back just as the berry fruit needs picking (5 bags of raspberries squidged in elsewhere but all the blackcurrants and gooseberries need to go in as I don't have time to deal with them all at the moment.

Can you freeze courgettes? we have something of a glut in the garden!
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    I've never had much success freezing courgettes too mushy but they are fine frozen cooked "in something" my go-tos are either soup or in ratatouille
    I'm going to have a wee try at dehydrating some if I get a glut

In: 4 ciabatta rolls, 4 ice cream cones, frozen peas, chicken stock, pkt spaghetti
    Out: corn cob
    Used up: soup
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 7th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 3,813 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    Nothing out for me tonight
    Been shopping though so bits in

2 pizza
    Loaf of bread
    2 trays pigs in blankets
    12 chicken burgers
    Chicken pie
    Chips
    Mini roasties
    Bagels
    Will be using some tomorrow though

Meal planned for the full week ... Whoop !
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 17,914 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    You CAN freeze courgettes but because they!re so full of water they're not the most successful vegs to freeze. If they have to be frozen I'd recommend picking them as small as possible and freezing whole. To cook when thawed, try cutting in half lengthways and griddling in a very hot pan. This will remove some of the moisture. If you boil them they become very mushy in my view. I wrap my surplus ones in a sheet of kitchen tissue and store in the fridge veg tray. They will keep in good condition for a week like that.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I've never had much success freezing courgettes too mushy but they are fine frozen cooked "in something" my go-tos are either soup or in ratatouille
    I'm going to have a wee try at dehydrating some if I get a glut
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks both, I think I will make a soup if I get overwhelmed - I am running with three surplus at any point currently. As that freezes (and I have three lots of stock in the freezer I can incorporate), it is a way of not wasting them (OH is a bit bored with them!)
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 17,060 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks both, I think I will make a soup if I get overwhelmed - I am running with three surplus at any point currently. As that freezes (and I have three lots of stock in the freezer I can incorporate), it is a way of not wasting them (OH is a bit bored with them!)
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Och that's a shame I love courgettes. I like them in frittata, with sweetcorn in pancakes, as fritters with dips and they make a lovely bread with feta and olives https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5699-zucchini-bread-with-feta-and-olives:) They are also good grated into veggie, pork or turkey burgers. All of these freeze really well.

Today:
    In: nothing
    Out: a pork chop
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 8th Jul 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 14,483 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Leftover shrimp and a dab of corn plus some ramen into Asian soup with refrigerator stuff (i.e. celery, mushrooms, onions etc) and flavorings added.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 17,914 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Och that's a shame I love courgettes. I like them in frittata, with sweetcorn in pancakes, as fritters with dips and they make a lovely bread with feta and olives https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5699-zucchini-bread-with-feta-and-olives:) They are also good grated into veggie, pork or turkey burgers. All of these freeze really well.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks caronc - I think we might go for frittata tonight, with broad and french beans
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 9th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Out chicken

In 18 cornetto style ice creams
    Well it's hot and they were 3 for 2
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • yorkie18
    • By yorkie18 9th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 5,206 Thanks
    yorkie18
    Hi all

I'm new to this thread as it's all something I need help with. I hardly ever meal plan anymore and really need to get back into so I'm not just buying things for the sake of it.

I have some minced beef, mushrooms, kale and new potatoes to use up in the fridge. Does anyone know what I can make with those things?!
    Be Kind, Work Hard, Stay Humble, Smile Often, Keep Honest, Stay Loyal, Travel When Possible, Never Stop Learning, Be Thankful Always and Love
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 9th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 3,813 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    Today

In : nothing
    Out : chicken burgers, buns, potatoe pops. hash browns, sausages, 1/2 tin of beans bits of left over ham, getting to crusty cob.

Had some cracking meals today and managed it using all things we had in .. Whoop !
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 17,060 Thanks
    caronc
    Hi all

I'm new to this thread as it's all something I need help with. I hardly ever meal plan anymore and really need to get back into so I'm not just buying things for the sake of it.

I have some minced beef, mushrooms, kale and new potatoes to use up in the fridge. Does anyone know what I can make with those things?!
    Originally posted by yorkie18
    Hiya, I'd go for burgers/patties with mushroom sauce/gravy, crispy fried Kale and either steamed or roasted potatoes.

In: 4 chicken thighs, 4 portions smoked salmon trimmings
    Out: 2 potato rosti, piece of steak, small bag of whipped cream
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 9th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Oh dear. It all went wrong. Eight (8!!!) carrier bags full of shopping in, and very little out.

No point moaning about what I can't change - I'll just have more choice now!!
    PG x
    Family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(10), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries.
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 10th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    In - nothing
    Out - couple of packs of crisps, a bakewell tart, punnet of strawberries, last of some not great sausages, some spuds, a tin of beans

That's better!
    PG x
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 17,060 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing (though I've been given rather a lot of F&V some of which will need frozen/dehydrated at some point)
    Out: portion broad beans, peas, spaghetti
    Used up: end of a tub of cottage cheese
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 11th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 3,813 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    So today is as follows
    In : 2 bags sweetcorn.
    Out : pizza, buns. Getting a bit worse for wear salad lol

I need to make some cakes tomorrow so hopefully use up a few bits of open stuff in the cuboard then
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

762Posts Today

6,547Users online

Martin's Twitter