Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,212Posts
    • 34,919Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 141
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 6th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    OUT half a turkey carcass, plus a crown of turkey
    IN treacle/ginger and spice cake x 2

Cold and windy here so I have just lit the Esse Ironheart. Going to make casserole and soup with the carcass and just cook the crown, all will fit in the Ironheart. I needed to use up a load of eggs hence the cakes, more to follow today but not sure which one as I need to look at the ingredients and use what I have in the cupboards.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 277.53/300 £22.47 left
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 6th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    In nothing

Out 1 beefburger
    pack of sausages
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: 2 beef sausages, 1 cupasoup
    Used up: LO turkey from last night, cooked rice, celery
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 7th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    out 1 pizza

In nothing
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: salmon steak
    Used up: end of a tub of coleslaw, a spring onion
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    caronc
    In: 3 crusty rolls, tin of tomatoes, mango chutney, 4 x packet sauce plus (temporarily) various bits for my Dad whose freezer died..
    Out: Chicken thighs
    Used up: baby plum tomatoes, asparagus
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 59,976 Posts
    • 350,600 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've nearly emptied mine! Just 6 fishfingers, 3 veggie burgers, 3 Yorkshires, 3 hash browns and some peas to go.

https://s15.postimg.org/q8mugen0b/Freezer_Food_Remaining_090313694_500x.jpg

Once eaten, I can finally defrost it!
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-06-2017 at 1:07 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: 2 portions breaded haddock, crusty roll
    Used up: LO chicken roasted chicken thigh
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 59,976 Posts
    • 350,600 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Out: All 3 hash browns. When you've got three and you consider two to be a portion, it's a choice between pigging out, or leaving a single one in the packet in there .... I chose to pig out.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 10th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    whmf00001
    MT Freezer - defrost
    I am in awe of you. I have been trying to mt mine for about 5 years, have managed to reduce at times and do a drawer at a time but never all in one go. Good on you.
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 10th Jun 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 11,794 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Ok then, I have been inspired by you lot and its time I took myself in hand and joined in, if that's OK.
    My freezer is nearly full up and my cupboards have quite a lot in them, but not as much as a couple of months ago when I took many tins and other goods to my caravan to eat whilst there and then try to kid myself that I have got rid of some!!!ha ha anyway after reading quite a bit of this thread I'm going to have a go for the next few weeks and get the stores etc down. I will have to buy milk and some fresh veggies but hopefully not a lot else. So today I used some frozen blueberries on my porridge, and took a couple of scones out to have after dinner for a couple of puds. I used a microwave rice in a sort of risotto and did an inventory of one of the freezer shelves, I'm going to work away at it one shelf at a time.
    Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Jun 17, 12:27 AM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Welcome Nannyg, you sound to have things under control.

IN some homemade icecream. I came across some YS double cream which I couldn't resist as I've several tins of condensed milk (like 14) in the cupboard so I just had to make icecream, I made coffee, rum and raisin, blackcurrant with some blackcurrants from the freezer, strawberry, the strawberries from my veg plot, brown bread, and just plain vanilla. I worked out the price which came to £1.15p per litre so i was quite pleased overall, but it's not what this thread is about
    OUT 4 pieces sliced bread, 4 pieces of assorted HM cake, 1 portion of turkey casserole, 2 small pieces of cheese
    Used up half a tin of baked beans. half a pk of pate, a few walnuts.

I was very pleased this week as my shopping came to under £25, I only needed some sausages, butter, and fruit and veg.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 277.53/300 £22.47 left
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    caronc
    Welcome nannygladys - I can completely relate

"Visiting" food has been returned to my Dad thank goodness....

Yesterday and today
    Out: Sirloin steaks, chicken wings
    Used up: salad
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,796 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Think I'm going to join in again - my freezer is not too bad but it's a hard month and I need to use up some food I already have in rather than buying more - I have money in the freezer so might as well use it!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • Nodette
    • By Nodette 11th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Nodette
    Welcome nannygladys. I think I must take a leaf out of your book and do a freezer inventory. I did one about a year ago, so I just KNOW it's totally out of date now, but I didn't keep a record of what was going in and out. Duh!

Anyway, have not been keeping up very well, so the following ins and outs have taken place over the last 4 days.

In - pack of huge wraps - size of a dinner plate (got them free!)
    Out - LO Moroccan chicken, LO creamy mustard pork, 2 lamb chops, 4 sausages, pack of minced beef, pack of 2 pollock, all from freezer. Also used 3 tins of chicken soup from cupboard. Oh, and a pack of part-baked bread rolls.
    Used up - end of a tub of soured cream, parmesan cheese, end of a pack of new potatoes.

Tonight we had the pollock baked in the oven (covered with a mixture of soured cream, parmesan, and 2 tbsp melted butter). It was scrummy.

If any of you belong to Bookers, you should go along and see their yellow stickered stuff! We got the tortilla wraps for free. And also 3 tubs of mashed potato for free (gave them to mum as ready-made mash is something she can cook herself). All good MSE stuff, but not good for trying to use up stuff from the freezer/cupboards!!
    Save
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 6,390 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am back to square 1 with my freezer, although the cupboards seem to be more under control these days. I have updated the freezer contents list and started meal plans again. I got sucked into another musclefoods offer and really struggled to fit it all in so it is time to act!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: pork chop
    Used up: couple of wilting celery stalks, a wrinkly carrot, LO salad

I have carrots and celery with BBD of Easter so need to either use them, freeze them or bin them.....
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 13th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 11,794 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Well I had to buy milk and bread ( which I should have made really as I have a bm and stuff in!) But nothing else and so far I'm enjoying the challenge, the only thing is I could really enjoy a bit of chocolate but so far resisted as I can have a hot choc drink or even make a chocolate cake if I could be bothered. So out so far has been microwave rice, last of fresh veggies, hm spag sauce from the freezer over a frozen jacket potato, can't even remember when I bought that!!! So far so good. Not sure about today but I seem to have a lot of fish in the freezer so may make a start on that
    Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 13th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 11,794 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Oh took out some hm mushroom soup for lunch for when I get back in.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday and today
    Out: a pasty, beef olives, broads beans
    Used up: cheese spread, soup
    Ditched: a few stalks of very wrinkly celery
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,640Posts Today

7,326Users online

Martin's Twitter