Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 11,650Posts
    • 33,874Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 134
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 19th Apr 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 15,169 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    K9sandfelines - i don't like chilli chocolate either. I like chilli and i like chocolate though. I got given some so I've been adding it a bit at a time to any veggie chillies I've made. That works fine and adds to the taste.

Hubby made us toad in the hole last night for tea and used up the last of the frozen quorn sausages thank goodness. I've realised i really don't like them, they have a strange texture. I took leftover black bean and pineapple stew in for lunch today so there's no leftovers left in the fridge now. :-)

Toast for tea tonight as we're rushing out to a concert. A rare treat!
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Hi Ginmonster, i like it normally, but just didn't like this the Lidl one.

Wednesday
    IN Shopping came as planned, no substitutes. A jar of tahini ourchased which annoyinglyni already had and some bits from wing yip that my friend got me- vegan condensed milk x 2, jackfruit and two curry pastes.
    OUT granola, milk, baguettes, tinned soup and homemade soup (1/3 spring green, two carrots, celery, onion, clove of garlic, 1/2 a leek, tin of tomatoes, stock, herbs, 1/2 a courgette ( these were massive last time in Morrisons, like marrows) and some orzo.
    GC 2017 (£4,000) Jan £346.72 Feb £241.96 Mar £268.16 Apr £110.30 up to and incl the 18th

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 19th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    Florence J
    OUT

1/2 Tin of Mango, 100g Dried Soya Mince, 1 x portion Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter pudding, 2 beer bottles, frozen peppers, onions and sweetcorn. 4 x tortilla wraps. Carton of passata, fajita herb mix sachet, tin of soup, lots of cheese, bit of BBQ sauce, bread, butter, milk, rice.

IN

Nothing (finally) and a NSD (finally)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 Wombling free 2017 = £386.72 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£878.61/£1500)
    April 2017 Debt: £5117.51
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 6,796 Thanks
    caronc
    In: ham stock
    Out: bread, a bagel, portion of mash and a cumberland sausage
    Use up: various LO buffet salads, green beans and sliced brisket
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £150/£160
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 19th Apr 17, 11:51 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 10,110 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Foods in the freezer past the bb date

1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    Fry's vege beef style strips
    tagliatelli
    chopped ginger
    I southern fried escalope

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice

In my cupboards

tarka dall
    stuffing mix
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    9 small boxes of raisins
    almonds
    almond flour
    millet
    marmite
    flax seeds
    Lavender shortbread x2
    oats
    tartex
    sponge flour - I guess I need to make some cakes if I don't react to wheat when I re-introduce it

I need to make a dent in these items soon.

I've not been that well for the past 10 days so I've not felt like eating much.

Since re-introducing foods I feel that wheat is not a problem, at least so far not one slice of bread, so at least my bread and pasta should go down.

Will be testing onion soon - raw at first. If that is ok I will start on my curries and they have a little garlic in them so that should test that.

There are other foods to test but the three mentioned should enable me to eat all the above foods.

So far this month I have only spent £16.15 on groceries, but I have had some meals out.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • JensFeet
    • By JensFeet 20th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    JensFeet
    Heh folks

So good to be back and I hope to regain control of this household budget and make some freezer space for my butchers delivery in 8 days... Eeeeeek...

I ended up in hospital for a month and had not a single thing to eat for almost 7 weeks but after new medication I have managed to reintroduce some soft / easy foods and tonnes of supplements... Pricey as not prescription but the ones available on prescription there really is no point taking as in the wrong format and health is the priority. My OH managed the kids and the house and full time work well while I was an inpatient although spent a lot on shopping and petrol to visit etc but I have absolutely no complaints as all is well that ends well. I have tonnes of follow up visits planned and possible surgery but all will be sorted eventually and I can eat again now - BONUS!

Also been 'home' to the Highlands for 2 weeks once I was discharged to stay with my parents over the Easter break which was wonderful - although very VERY cold lol... Our house up there was tenanted for the last almost 5 years but while I was in hospital I found out that the tenant had done a bunk, destroyed much of the house and not paid rent. So 2 days from being discharged - and feeling generally pants - I was redecorating the house to get it ready for the market. 10 days it took to make it reasonable and it's not worth very much at all but is still mortgaged etc so the faster we can sell it the better. Fingers crossed.

So home home now and trying to get sorted for the next few weeks before I start my new job YEAY!! Wages again lol...

Meals planned until my start date and everything is based around the contents of the freezers as I have a 'significant' order from the butcher which I had already put back for 6 weeks previously. But as OH went shopping (seemingly) daily while I was away not much space appeared. I have 8 days to make it appear.

Good to be back and hopeful to get back some control too. And lovely to catch up with how everybody has been doing on here and in the grocery challenge - restarting that on 1st May too. I really hope everybody is well and had an enjoyable Easter break.

Jen x
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    Florence J
    OUT

Frozen salmon fillet (last of it), frozen pitta breads (last of them), chopped tomatoes tin, 150g rice, frozen veg and OH's chicken.

IN

Nothing, but will have to restock soon.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 Wombling free 2017 = £386.72 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£878.61/£1500)
    April 2017 Debt: £5117.51
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,622Posts Today

6,317Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

• Follow Martin