Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 11,952Posts
    • 34,471Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 134
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 19th Apr 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 15,282 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    K9sandfelines - i don't like chilli chocolate either. I like chilli and i like chocolate though. I got given some so I've been adding it a bit at a time to any veggie chillies I've made. That works fine and adds to the taste.

Hubby made us toad in the hole last night for tea and used up the last of the frozen quorn sausages thank goodness. I've realised i really don't like them, they have a strange texture. I took leftover black bean and pineapple stew in for lunch today so there's no leftovers left in the fridge now. :-)

Toast for tea tonight as we're rushing out to a concert. A rare treat!
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Hi Ginmonster, i like it normally, but just didn't like this the Lidl one.

Wednesday
    IN Shopping came as planned, no substitutes. A jar of tahini purchased which annoyingly i already had one, and some bits from wing yip that my friend got me - vegan condensed milk x 2, jackfruit and two curry pastes.
    OUT granola, milk, baguettes, tinned soup and homemade soup (1/3 spring green, two carrots, celery, onion, clove of garlic, 1/2 a leek, tin of tomatoes, stock, herbs, 1/2 a courgette ( these were massive last time in Morrisons, like marrows) and some orzo.
    Last edited by K9sandFelines; 23-04-2017 at 9:10 PM. Reason: originally typed on phone (I think) so needed to correct typos
    GC 2017 (£4,000) Jan £346.72 Feb £241.99 + £1.99 Mar £280.29 + £1.99 Apr £196.58 (app.) + £1.99 May £232.77 + £1.99 Jun £190.25 + 1.99 Jul £200.81 up to and incl 23/7

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 19th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 8,451 Thanks
    Florence J
    OUT

1/2 Tin of Mango, 100g Dried Soya Mince, 1 x portion Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter pudding, 2 beer bottles, frozen peppers, onions and sweetcorn. 4 x tortilla wraps. Carton of passata, fajita herb mix sachet, tin of soup, lots of cheese, bit of BBQ sauce, bread, butter, milk, rice.

IN

Nothing (finally) and a NSD (finally)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 12,552 Thanks
    caronc
    In: ham stock
    Out: bread, a bagel, portion of mash and a cumberland sausage
    Use up: various LO buffet salads, green beans and sliced brisket
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 19th Apr 17, 11:51 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Foods in the freezer past the bb date

1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    Fry's vege beef style strips
    tagliatelli
    chopped ginger
    I southern fried escalope

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice

In my cupboards

tarka dall
    stuffing mix
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    9 small boxes of raisins
    almonds
    almond flour
    millet
    marmite
    flax seeds
    Lavender shortbread x2
    oats
    tartex
    sponge flour - I guess I need to make some cakes if I don't react to wheat when I re-introduce it

I need to make a dent in these items soon.

I've not been that well for the past 10 days so I've not felt like eating much.

Since re-introducing foods I feel that wheat is not a problem, at least so far not one slice of bread, so at least my bread and pasta should go down.

Will be testing onion soon - raw at first. If that is ok I will start on my curries and they have a little garlic in them so that should test that.

There are other foods to test but the three mentioned should enable me to eat all the above foods.

So far this month I have only spent £16.15 on groceries, but I have had some meals out.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • JensFeet
    • By JensFeet 20th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    JensFeet
    Heh folks

So good to be back and I hope to regain control of this household budget and make some freezer space for my butchers delivery in 8 days... Eeeeeek...

I ended up in hospital for a month and had not a single thing to eat for almost 7 weeks but after new medication I have managed to reintroduce some soft / easy foods and tonnes of supplements... Pricey as not prescription but the ones available on prescription there really is no point taking as in the wrong format and health is the priority. My OH managed the kids and the house and full time work well while I was an inpatient although spent a lot on shopping and petrol to visit etc but I have absolutely no complaints as all is well that ends well. I have tonnes of follow up visits planned and possible surgery but all will be sorted eventually and I can eat again now - BONUS!

Also been 'home' to the Highlands for 2 weeks once I was discharged to stay with my parents over the Easter break which was wonderful - although very VERY cold lol... Our house up there was tenanted for the last almost 5 years but while I was in hospital I found out that the tenant had done a bunk, destroyed much of the house and not paid rent. So 2 days from being discharged - and feeling generally pants - I was redecorating the house to get it ready for the market. 10 days it took to make it reasonable and it's not worth very much at all but is still mortgaged etc so the faster we can sell it the better. Fingers crossed.

So home home now and trying to get sorted for the next few weeks before I start my new job YEAY!! Wages again lol...

Meals planned until my start date and everything is based around the contents of the freezers as I have a 'significant' order from the butcher which I had already put back for 6 weeks previously. But as OH went shopping (seemingly) daily while I was away not much space appeared. I have 8 days to make it appear.

Good to be back and hopeful to get back some control too. And lovely to catch up with how everybody has been doing on here and in the grocery challenge - restarting that on 1st May too. I really hope everybody is well and had an enjoyable Easter break.

Jen x
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 8,451 Thanks
    Florence J
    OUT

Frozen salmon fillet (last of it), frozen pitta breads (last of them), chopped tomatoes tin, 150g rice, frozen veg and OH's chicken.

IN

Nothing, but will have to restock soon.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 23rd Apr 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 15,282 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Nice to see you back Jensfeet, must have all been really stressful. Hopefully you will be feeling less out of sorts soon, and your house sells.

Thursday
    IN :Nothing
    OUT : granola, oatly milk, homemade minestrone soup, bread, spread, potatoes x 2, 1/2 box of fishless fingers and 1/2 bag of scampi, corn on the cob, samphire,birds eye 1/4 lbers (DD1 visiting) ingredients for sticky toffee pudding which made four ate two (mostly dates, flour, spices, sugar), custard, tea/coffee/sugar/juice, packed lunch stuff

Friday
    IN : dairy free marg, wonky carrots, dry shampoo and deodrant
    OUT :
    strawberries, blueberries, end of alpro yoghurt pot, muesli, last of minestrone soup, bread, crisps, houmous, cucumber, beansprouts, pepper, mushrooms, homemade char- sui seitan, beansprouts, sweetcorn, rice, one sticky toffee pudding, and swedish glace ice cream,clif bar, coconut cream, onions, wraps, thai paste, tea/coffee/sugar/juice

Saturday
    IN : 2 x YS finger rolls, 1 x YS torpedo roll, 2 x YS ferrero rocher, doritos
    OUT :
    breakfast biscuits, biscuits,meatfree sausages, onions, seeded burger buns, doritos, jalapeno and chilli dairy free cheddar,sage and onions slices, rolls, lettuce, end of vegan mayonnaise, superseeds bar, quorn sausage patties and whatever dd2 has eaten, tea/coffee/sugar/juice

Sunday
    IN : eggs and cherry tomatoes
    OUT :
    head of cauliflower, courgette x 2, half punnet of tomatoes, garlic cloves, spices,herbs, onions, tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, coriander and lime rice from a fajita kit) (Made Bosh curried cauliflower and roasted veg (blended remains to use as curry paste) and ratatouille for tomorrow's tea after work), two corn fillets, frozen brocolli and carrots, used up homemade potato wedges, yorkshire pudding,last sticky toffee pudding and last of Swedish glace ice cream, tea/coffee/sugar/juice and packed lunch stuff
    Last edited by K9sandFelines; 23-04-2017 at 9:48 PM.
    GC 2017 (£4,000) Jan £346.72 Feb £241.99 + £1.99 Mar £280.29 + £1.99 Apr £196.58 (app.) + £1.99 May £232.77 + £1.99 Jun £190.25 + 1.99 Jul £200.81 up to and incl 23/7

• K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 24th Apr 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 15,282 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Today

IN : kitkats and a loaf of bread

OUT : banana, strawberries, blueberries, yoghurt, ratatouille from yesterday, last of chilli ribbon pasta, rolls, thai curry, cheese, crackers, tea/coffee/sugar/juice and packed lunch stuff

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 30th Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 8,375 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Where is everyone? A mad flurry post Christmas and now it's all gone quiet, I can only assume everyone has reached their target except me

I still need to work at reducing the amount in the freezers only because I attempt to grow my own fruit and veg and I need freezer space once the 'harvest' starts so I still need to post on a regular basis.

In:- 3 loaves of bread, milk and the remains of a KFC bargain box.
    Out:- freezer - venison steaks, leeks, frozen berries.
    cupboards - jelly, gravy, stock cubes, caster sugar, icing sugar (I'm making meringues later.
    the rest is from the fridge.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7,509 Posts
    • 25,318 Thanks
    Primrose
    Where is everyone? A mad flurry post Christmas and now it's all gone quiet, I can only assume everyone has reached their target except me

I still need to work at reducing the amount in the freezers only because I attempt to grow my own fruit and veg and I need freezer space once the 'harvest' starts so I still need to post on a regular basis.)
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Same problem with me fruit and veg growing, especially the soft fruit mountain which has been stalled by the need/desire to eat fresh rhubarb which is now distracting our efforts. Nice though it may be one can grow a little tired of fruit compotes piled on porridge, or mixed in with fruit jellies ! And judging by all the flowers appearing on the strawberry plants and the red and black currant bushes, it won't be long before we're overtaken again
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 30th Apr 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Foods in the freezer past the bb date

1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    Fry's vege beef style strips
    tagliatelli
    chopped ginger
    I southern fried escalope

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice
    carrots
    broccoli
    coleslaw (last day tomorrow - added to remind me)

In my cupboards

tarka dall
    stuffing mix
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    9 small boxes of raisins
    almonds
    almond flour
    millet
    marmite
    flax seeds
    Lavender shortbread x2
    oats
    sponge flour

Not made much of a dent in the above lists. I think I need to make some pasta with veg and the beef style strips.

My grocery spending increased quite a bit since my last update and has totalled 46.44. I obviously didn't exist on just lavender shortbread!

Maybe I should experiment in how long I can stay away from the shops this month! I will try and do a daily update on what I have am eating each day to keep me on track..

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 1st May 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 16,115 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

I still need to work at reducing the amount in the freezers only because I attempt to grow my own fruit and veg and I need freezer space once the 'harvest' starts so I still need to post on a regular basis.

In:- 3 loaves of bread, milk and the remains of a KFC bargain box.
    Out:- freezer - venison steaks, leeks, frozen berries.
    cupboards - jelly, gravy, stock cubes, caster sugar, icing sugar (I'm making meringues later.
    the rest is from the fridge.
    No, I haven't but I have been elsewhere and slightly less focussed on this. I am going to try and reduce my meat-mountain this month...

I have been reading and enjoying. I probably need to do another freezer audit but I don't quite feel up to it at the moment, with so much to do in the garden and a major project in the offing. Sorry, I know what you mean.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 50.68/50% including stores after June
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 1st May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 8,375 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Good to hear from everyone, I'm a bit like Suffolk Lass life gets in the way of posting, once the Spring/Summer arrives although the weather would have us believe otherwise.

Frogletina I do like your thoughts on seeing how long you can stay away from the shops. Can I join you in your 'mini challenge' as it will then mean I will have to use what I have and be inventive if I run out of something and seeing as this is the first of May it seems appropriate to start today.

Primrose. There are quite a few us us who try to grow things, some - (but not me) - are reasonably self sufficient over the summer. If you are interested have a look at the thread

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 01-05-2017 at 11:59 AM.

• caronc
    • By caronc 1st May 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 12,552 Thanks
    caronc
    Another one MIA due to various visitors but "normality" resumed today!
    In: nothing though I do need to go through my fridge and freeze stuff
    Out: 2 slices of stuffed turkey thigh
    Used up: A roll, a big wodge of cucumber and the end of a block of cheddar
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 1st May 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina

Frogletina I do like your thoughts on seeing how long you can stay away from the shops. Can I join you in your 'mini challenge' as it will then mean I will have to use what I have and be inventive if I run out of something and seeing as this is the first of May it seems appropriate to start today.
    Please do, it will be good to have someone to keep me on the straight and narrow. I'm not counting the food I bought while out at the Mayday festival today, as eating out goes under a different budget.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 2nd May 17, 7:02 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    Hello it has been a while still trying to work through the freezers although I have seemed to have bought extras to fill the gaps!

So this thread keeps me honest:-)

Nothing in or out today as I made a roast yesterday for the the meat lover and the vegetarian;-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
    • caronc
    • By caronc 2nd May 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 12,552 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: small tub of cous cous, portion of spaghetti
    Use up: cottage cheese, an end of a cucumber, a small courgette, mushrooms, a sprouting onion and baby plum tomatoes
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 2nd May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 13,797 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Hi. Been awol a bit. Not too much raw material gone into the freezer, but I turned 500g mince into 10 portions of bolognaise to fill space

Also one whole chicken pot roasted and rubberised. Two portions of Rogan Josh back in after about 3 meals worth of bits.

Out tonight - 2 chicken and mushroom casserole, 2arrabiatta sauce and 5 meatballs for tomorrow night. Ice cream
    *** Debt Free***
    NST June NSD = 7/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1514.53/£3,000, 50.48/49.59% of the year.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 2nd May 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 8,375 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Please do, it will be good to have someone to keep me on the straight and narrow. I'm not counting the food I bought while out at the Mayday festival today, as eating out goes under a different budget.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    Thanks, I'm just going to count going to the shops for food, toiletries and eating out not counted. I shall try to make the cleaning stuff last as well, anything in fact to keep me out of going near food shops.

OUT:- Lunch from fridge, Dinner;-1 piece of gammon for DH dinner and smoked haddock for mine, all vegetables from fridge.
    IN:- nothing

• Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 3rd May 17, 2:06 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Thanks, I'm just going to count going to the shops for food, toiletries and eating out not counted. I shall try to make the cleaning stuff last as well, anything in fact to keep me out of going near food shops.

OUT:- Lunch from fridge, Dinner;-1 piece of gammon for DH dinner and smoked haddock for mine, all vegetables from fridge.
    IN:- nothing
    Today I have had left over pizza from festival, coleslaw two days past its date, cheese straws from festival and a raw carrot!

I forgot about having no potatoes and I will find it hard to go without any. I only have two eggs, and I eat a lot of them usually. I need to get creative.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

4,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin