Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 12,311Posts
    • 35,047Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 126
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    Between yesterday & today
    In: 3 portions ragu, 3 portions white sauce
    Out: 2 baguettes, parsley, braising steak, chicken thighs, root veg mash
    Use up: LO lasagne, LO garlic bread, butter
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 12th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 21,045 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    In - aldililly shopping (£22)
    Out - hm pastry, chicken pie filling, whole bag of spuds, carrots, peas, tin of sweetcorn, couple of other bits.

Slowly slowly!

PG x
    Family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(10), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries.
    Sept £29.38/£100 Aug £124.60/£100 July £100/£100 June 2017, £113.38/£100.00
    • dannie
    • By dannie 13th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    dannie
    My progress in "using up" has been quite good since my last post. One idea has been using freezer stored homemade stock with vegetables like a mash/stir-fry. Next, adding to it anything "bland" and/or suitable.

With reference to more food being purchased, this has been influenced by health reasons and so acquiring "bargain" vegetables (10p each spring onions and a green pepper). Also, visiting a charity shop meant that I got some special offer UHT milk nearby. Lastly, someone offered to get some shopping for me from town that I hardly ever frequent. Just one purchase at reduced price acquired which is a regular diet item.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Unexpected stay in hospital over the last few days, good job I'd done a smallish shop recently and the fridge was well stocked as the DH just about knows how to make a cup of coffee.
    He tried really hard, unpacked the dishwasher but I've no idea where some of the things have been put, did some washing - whites and darks in together at least he tried and clothes were not that important.

Lunch from fridge and freezer:- eggs, mushrooms, bread, icecream and satsumas..
    Tea, lamb chops for DH, turkey wrapped in bacon for me on top of a stir fry. Got to think of something for afters, as low in sugar as possible, thinking about creme custard and using sweetners instead of sugar - could be a failure
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 13th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    A good using up day so far. Hm bread toasted with peanut butter for brekkie, hm carrot and lentil soup and a lone slice of pizza left over from Saturday's lunch and a ton of naan bread dough made and frozen to use up some OOD yoghurt.

I'm home alone for tea tonight as hubby is out for dinner with work and the boy gets fed at nursery so I shall probably do a stir fry as there are some tired looking greens in my fridge that need using up.

I'm starting to make headway on the cupboard full of tins and rarely have to swear as one falls on my toe now. :-)
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 13th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 21,045 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Unexpected stay in hospital over the last few days, good job I'd done a smallish shop recently and the fridge was well stocked as the DH just about knows how to make a cup of coffee.
    He tried really hard, unpacked the dishwasher but I've no idea where some of the things have been put, did some washing - whites and darks in together at least he tried and clothes were not that important.

Lunch from fridge and freezer:- eggs, mushrooms, bread, icecream and satsumas..
    Tea, lamb chops for DH, turkey wrapped in bacon for me on top of a stir fry. Got to think of something for afters, as low in sugar as possible, thinking about creme custard and using sweetners instead of sugar - could be a failure
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Hope it was nothing too serious xx

In - nothing

Out - the rest of the tired-looking shrooms, two onions, a tub of soft cheese, a pack of sausages, the rest of yesterday's sweetcorn, last of the pizza from the hut.

A good day overall!

PG x
    Family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(10), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    Peri peri chicken thighs, roasted veg and a baked spud

Whoops wrong thread

In: nothing
    Out: piece of baguette, small piece of LO Christmas ham
    Use up: LO berries, end of a cucumber
    Last edited by caronc; 13-03-2017 at 8:57 PM.
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 13th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Hope you are ok now zafiro.

I did a big shop today, portioning the packets of meat into meal sizes for our home, before popping them into the freezer. We used up some waffles from the freezer, a tin of beans, HM shepherds pie from the freezer over the weekend. I never got the baking done. DS enjoying playing out and my siatic nerve giving me pain, so standing baking isn't really worth it. I will do it to use the bananas up soon though. Back pain means i can't lay the new floor, but i can go in my parents' hot tub! It was much better today after resting it yesterday, so i must do less for now!
    Nov: £144.48/200 (£55.53 left) Dec: £207.43/200 £7.43 over Jan: £167.33/180 (£12.67 left)
    Feb: £159.95/176 (£16.05 left)
    March Grocery Challenge: £128.78195 (£66.22 left)
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Mar 17, 12:25 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Hope it was nothing too serious xx
    PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Very faint and dizzy but had the dose of my BP tablets changed last Wednesday. Saw emergency Dr who thought it was to do with tabs but also found a very loud heart murmur so sent me to the Emergency Assessment Unit' They had a few words to say about no one listening to my heart for over 3 yrs. I have to say the consultants were brilliant, no small chat just plain facts, they spoke mainly to my DH. More assessments soon.

This Thursday my DH has a pre-arranged appointment with my Dr in his own right. His name begins with Mr (as in surgeon) not Dr!!!!
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 14-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 14th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 15,352 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Thurs: In - approved food order .. Made a cockup as had afre delivery code and wanted to get more Waterwipes for DGD and some vegan Clif bars. Went back to look again and found them but code had expired. Mostly tinned stuff this time and a few treats.
    Peppers, mushrooms, spring onions

OUT : bread, avacado spread, bread rolls, lettuce, cucumber vbites ham, violife cheese slices, packed lunch bits, tea/coffee/sugar, milk, juice,lemon meringue pie filling, ingredients for pastry (mostly buckwheat flour as no plain), black beans, butter beans, tomatoes, cant remember what i made, chipotle sauce and last of tagliatelle (though this could have been yesterday)crisps and peanuts

Fri

IN : bread rolls, Doritos heatburst and YS boost bites from work and mushrooms (i think)

OUT : packed lunch bits, tea/sugar, spread, vbites ham , violife cheese, banana, blueberries, strawberries, onion, four vegan hotdogs, more rolls and half a tin of beans and some bread for Dd2, whilst i was on the late shift

Sat

IN : three one pint milks YS from work and YS ferrero rochers

OUT: half a pack of vbites sausages, bread, rolls, quorn sandwich meat, fruit and crisps, stand and stuff tortilla bowls, Easiyo sachets x 2 (out the cupboard and into the fridge), last of shallots, one red pepper, lettuce, jar of fajita paste, half bag vegan piece, half bag of vegetarian pieces, bar of chocolate, a few kahluas and coke,tube of pringles and dinky deckers (from AF), biscuits, tea/coffee/milk/sugar, juice, spread

Sun

IN free rolls from work, not on our system and company failed to collect

OUT ingredients for pancakes, packed lunch stuff, whatever DD had for dinner, pizza, rolls, violife cheese, vbites cheese and more crisps tea/coffee/milk/sugar, juice, spread, leftover couscous and leftover morroccan stew, packed lunch bits

Waste - donuts defrosted and then not eaten by DD2

Mon

IN : Nothing

OUT : packed lunch bits, tea/sugar/milk/juice, last of shredded wheat apple crumble, milk, bread, trek bar, half abag of meat free mince, tinned tomatoes, last of shallots, muhrooms, carrot, old cereal turned into crispy cakes .. so ingredients for that, alpro caramel and coconut collaborative pot

Today

IN Nothing

OUT bread rolls, belvita biscuits, vbites ham, volife cheese slices, crisps, tea/coffee/milk/sugar ...so far

Sorry for the long post ... Im ieither in work, with grandchild, got a cat on me, otherwise engaged or tablet dead
    GC 2017 (£4,000 (£2150.55)) Jan £346.72 Feb £241.99 Mar £280.29 Apr £196.58 (app.) May £232.77 Jun £191.14 Jul £280.45 Aug £362.70 Sep £258.16 Oct + Smart Pass £1.99 x 9 = £17.91

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    In : rather large meat order
    Out: piece of baguette, portion of white sauce
    Used up: end of a bag of salad leaves, salad dressing and small piece of ham
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 14th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,987 Thanks
    oldtractor
    OUT some butter some bacon some raspberries some peas and some fish cakes
    IN a portion of soup.
    used up. cauliflower and potatoes. had to throw away a broccoli found in bottom of fridge gone yellow :-(
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 14th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Oh zafiro, that sounds scary!

We finished the cooking bacon from the freezer today in a bacon and butternut squash risotto. Nom.

DS feels poorly so he's off his food. Grandma died today so we'll have to travel up for the funeral (300 miles away). Given that i just bought new flooring and paid my car insurance I'm so grateful to this forum. I know i can get there and stay in a hotel and pay for meals out without worrying about the cost.
    Nov: £144.48/200 (£55.53 left) Dec: £207.43/200 £7.43 over Jan: £167.33/180 (£12.67 left)
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 14th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    Frogletina
    First two weeks of March

Foods in red I cannot eat yet as I am on a special diet.

Should be reintroducing excluded foods by the end of March. If not, it might be time to throw some of these foods away. I'd like to be able to have a clean sheet before too long and not just keep trying to use up the older foods.

Foods in the freezer past the bb date

1 loaf of bread
    1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    Fry's vege beef style strips
    tagliatelli
    chopped ginger

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice
    2 alpro desserts
    butter
    cheese
    goats milk yoghourt
    cheese sauce

In my cupboards

tarka dall
    stuffing mix
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    9 small boxes of raisins
    almonds
    almond flour
    millet
    marmite
    flax seeds
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    I've only spent £6.10 on food groceries so far this month. Would have been more but I've moved chocolate and fizzy drinks to a different budget in an effort to reduced them. The amount I have spent on them is more than my groceries. Shocking.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • dannie
    • By dannie 15th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    dannie
    In my quest to "use up", recently there has been a few food purchases. I visited the "Cash and Carry" shop that sells "bargain" fruit and vegetables. Reasons for more purchases? Mainly to collect animal feed and bicycle exercise but also me just wanting a "bargain"! (10p each lettuce/nearly 500gr edible, one mooli, and one red grapefruit). Also, ten big tomatoes (vine?) all for 20p). Consequently, I will be using up "stores" as much as possible with these items e.g. used some "old" rosemary spice with the boiled mooli, tomatoes on sandwiches (bread used from surplus)....

I have also begun to look through/declutter old recipe books. Am keeping just the recipes applicable to present food "stock" and any that may fit in with my current/expected long term diet.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Franalamadingdong Sorry to hear your news but you sound as if you've everything under control. I use 2 websites for hotels, Late deals or hotels.com, both usually have plenty of deals - cheaper than booking direct.

Out:-
    turkey thigh for tonight

In:-
    4 pork YS chops
    1 YS pork joint which I cut into two pieces and froze separately.

I'm trying to diet and do the same with DH, only he's not to know what I'm up to as he would object. I've already cut his chocolate consumption down to half saying I'd forgotten to get it when shopping. Who needs a 200gm bar everyday!!!!
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 15th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Lol frogletina, sounds like me some weeks!

Thanks zafiro, without sounding horrible, she's been ready to go for a long while, so it's a blessing really. Dad had seen her last week and she was asleep most of the time and he knew then that it wasn't going to be long. I'm a bit scared about driving so far for the first time, so i might go with mum and dad, in which case we'll all stay in the same hotel.

Like the sly hubby slimming!

Making a lamb, veggie and chickpea curry for tea. DS isn't up for it, although feeling much better, so he's having yet more beans. Another tin of beans down, a tin of tomatoes (my last one!), One of my portions of lamb and my last tin of chickpeas! I will be freezing some of the cooked curry of course.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 15th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 17,377 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Franalamadingdong Sorry to hear your news but you sound as if you've everything under control. I use 2 websites for hotels, Late deals or hotels.com, both usually have plenty of deals - cheaper than booking direct.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Actually re hotels - if you first look them up on a bookings site and get the best price from there and then phone the hotel direct, you should be able to improve on that price because the Hotel will not have to pay a percentage to the booking site and they should be willing to split it with you (maybe 60-40 in their favour) - win-win

You will need to speak to a Manager as a receptionist is unlikely to have that much discretion though
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8833.96 saved (80.31%) after September - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 70.68/75% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    In: 4 tins of beans, lasagne sheets
    Out: nothing
    Use up: LO potato bake, few mushrooms, baby plum toms and a pepper
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 15th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 21,045 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    In - nothing

Out - sweets, chocolate, tin of hot dogs, rolls, pack of cheese slices, rest of a cucumber, 2 apples that have seen better days, crisps.

Been a picky day!!

PG x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin