Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 11,952Posts
    • 34,471Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 125
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 9th Mar 17, 6:21 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 13,814 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Out - 1 Paneer bake, turkey meatballls and Arrabiatta sauce. chips and English muffins to go with the burgers. 1 blueberry muffin.

In - 5 x mash, 1 x sausage and mash with kale meal, 5 x sandwiches
    *** Debt Free***
    NST June NSD = 7/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1514.53/£3,000, 50.48/49.59% of the year.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 9th Mar 17, 7:06 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,253 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Thanks for all the bread advice everyone! I think if I find any other old bread mixes at the back of the cupboard I'll add a bit of extra yeast and see if that helps. The next batch will probably escape out of the bread maker now won't it? :-)

I finally used a spaghetti squash up last night which I got in my veg box before Xmas! It was totally fine and made a nice pasta sauce with ricotta garlic and pesto. Yum!
    • dannie
    • By dannie 9th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 3,268 Thanks
    dannie
    I've not posted for quite awhile but have still been 'using up' as much as possible. Today, a bag of long-life food items from a kitchen surface was put in the big cupboard. This means the kitchen now looks less cluttered although the cupboard looks more full! The small cupboard has "started to fill up again" but I feel that this is with recent purchases presently needed rather than containing old "stock". In contrast, to usual, the fridge is less packed but the freezer looks more packed apart from the first drawer which is just half used.

About two weeks before the next online food grocery shop. Just the local shops will result in anything being added but not so keen on going to them. Will try and make these two weeks useful in continuing to "use up".
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 9th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,981 Thanks
    oldtractor
    just back from the supermarket. freezer and cupboards stuffed full again as is the fridge. will commence eating them down. probably have around a months supply of somethings. less of others. will be interesting.
    Trying for 10 a day
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 9th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 13,814 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Slight change of menu plan - DH has requested Steak and Chips for dinner tomorrow night. So that will leave some peppers, spring onions and an end of cucumber to use up. ???? Couscous I think. I'll take some with some grilled salmon for lunch on Saturday after we land in France.

Should leave NOTHING to go off while I'm away
    *** Debt Free***
    NST June NSD = 7/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1514.53/£3,000, 50.48/49.59% of the year.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Mar 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 12,601 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: piece of baguette, passatta, beef mince, pork chop. broad beans
    Use up: parsnip, end of head of celery, slice cooked ham
    Last edited by caronc; 09-03-2017 at 9:25 PM.
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • Hollyberry
    • By Hollyberry 9th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Hollyberry
    In: Nothing

Out: Frozen berries, lemon sorbet, soy yoghurt, chicken soup, lamb, peppers, parsnips, carrots, broccoli, chillis, two lemons

Bracing myself for the arrival of online shopping tomorrow.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 8,392 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Not much movement today from the freezers, more from the fridge

OUT
    2 venison steaks
    1 pk of venison diced meat. DH had diced venison in a pie and I had a stir fry with the smaller steak. (my new passion)
    3 sausages, 3 slices of bread
    pk of plums frozen last yr

IN
    4 loaves, 2 x semi milk

Just looking at what I have in the freezers/cupboards and I have decided to be careful what I bulk buy, otherwise I end up with tins and packets I no longer use on a regular basis. Things like coffee, loo rolls are OK but what do you do with six large packets of cornflakes once the DH has decided he no longer likes them and I have never liked them - there's only so many cornflake and chocolate cakes I want to make.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • janb5
    • By janb5 10th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    janb5
    If the cornflakes are in date and unopened why not donate them to a food bank?
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 8,392 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    If the cornflakes are in date and unopened why not donate them to a food bank?
    Originally posted by janb5
    Good idea we have one in the local village.

OUT
    Turkey drumstick
    plums
    frozen vegetables

IN - nothing

Going to be a hard day. Staff not coming today - no baby sitter - so it's all down to the two of us.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 10th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 20,801 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Last few days...

In - nothing (does a few slices of pizza from the hut count?!)
    Out - 1 leek and 3 spuds (although they're now sitting in the fridge in the form of soup!), lo sausage casserole from the other day, two yogs, couple of apples.

Having really studied what goes out on a daily basis, I've come to realise just how little we actually eat every day. Why, then, do I have so much food? Even though I've only been doing this for a short time, it's really made me think, and reflect on how and what I buy. I always do a weekly shop, but I only usually need a few things, such as bread and milk. I wonder if I'd be better doing a monthly shop of eg lunchbox stuff, and things I know will be used in the month, then pop around the corner to c00p for bread and milk as needed. Then, when I actually need fresh stuff, I'll go for that, rather than just piling it into the trolley every Sunday regardless... Hmm, lots to ponder!!

PG x
    Family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(10), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries.
    July £76.92/£100 June 2017, £113.38/£100.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 12,601 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: 3 tins tomatoes, tin of soup, haddock portion, oven chips, spinach, peas
    Used up: end of a piece of cheddar
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 10th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,981 Thanks
    oldtractor
    OUT frozen mince, icecream
    IN nothing
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 10th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 3,262 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Well DS has been demolishing bread, but because I haven't bought more he's eaten leftover wraps and hasn't discovered the rolls yet.

I cleaned a rather clear looking fridge after finding our pickles had gone mouldy... How??? It looks lovely in there now though.

DS has switched from bananas to a love of apples for the first time. So I have some sad looking bananas in the fruit bowl. I think I will make these into a stick toffee upside down banana cake I've been wanting to try for ages. I might make the frozen berries and some droopy plums into a crumble while the oven is on... Maybe a cherry cake to pop in the freezer while I'm at it. We'll see!
    Nov: £144.48/200 (£55.53 left) Dec: £207.43/200 £7.43 over Jan: £167.33/180 (£12.67 left)
    Feb: £159.95/176 (£16.05 left)
    March Grocery Challenge: £128.78195 (£66.22 left)
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 11th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,253 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Morning all!
    Despite the fact that my boy's current getting up time is 5am I'm feeling fairly chirpy today as i managed to sidestep hubby's takeaway suggestion last night. He wanted pizza as he was craving something a bit junk foody. I offered quorn southern fried nuggets and felafels from the freezer so we had that instead. Win!
    • Hollyberry
    • By Hollyberry 11th Mar 17, 10:45 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Hollyberry
    My aim this month was to buy only perishables or items too bargainous to miss, and to try and eat down the freezer and cupboards. I've got yesterday's online shopping receipt in front of me, and thought I'd check my purchases through to see if I've managed that objective.

My extraneous items are: mint sauce (had one already - oops), caramel pecan praline non dairy ice cream (so very unsorry) plus a bag of gluten free nut roast (trial purchase) a frozen gluten free pie (very few places stock this) and three bars of non dairy chocolate from the organic shop (also unsorry). I can live with that.

Out: blackberries, bananas, last of a box of bircher museli, lactose free milk, cheese, smoked mackerel, mini potatoes, celery, spring onions, mayo.

In: Online shop. Chocolate, dairy free soft cheese, GF nut roast mix and a GF pie from the organic shop.
    Last edited by Hollyberry; 11-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 11th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 15,282 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Tues :

IN: Morrisons shop ... Need frozen quorn items for myself, so also got non- perishable items to bump it up to minimum spend.
    Consumed on the spot ... Chips, chip muffin and a portion of spring rolls (parents evening, so hungry by the time we got out and waiting for bus back)

OUTspread, bread slices, avocado, Linda McCartney burgers, burger buns, garnish, cornetto, packed lunch, coffee/tea/sugar/,milk, juice

Weds

IN : iceberg lettuce, 2x bagels, 2x muesli cookies, 4 x Colmans cook in sauces ... handy for when batch cooking chicken portions etc for DD1, several tins of tomatoes and some iced coffeesachets of coffee i got roped into buying because they were cheap (checked them when i got home and got milk in, so DD2 been having them).

OUT : alpro yoghurt, strawberries, blueberries, banana, granola, onions x 2, mushrooms x 5, tinned tomatoes, hellmans chipotle sauce, bits of herbs/spices/vinegars, 4 x vegan sausages, last of wholewheat tagliatelle, tin of black beans, tin of butterbeans, aquafaba and sugar to make meringue, buckwheat flour (ran out of plain), oil, greens lemon pie filling (that i've had forever)

Will do Thurs to today later on ...
    GC 2017 (£4,000) Jan £346.72 Feb £241.99 + £1.99 Mar £280.29 + £1.99 Apr £196.58 (app.) + £1.99 May £232.77 + £1.99 Jun £190.25 + 1.99 Jul £200.81 up to and incl 23/7

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 11th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I'm joining in!!

Absolutely mahoosive amount of food stocks in at the moment (did an inventory a couple of weeks ago and It covers 2 sheets of A4 on both sides!! ) so am going to get through all that before I get anything other than absolute essentials in

Today: in- nothing; out- 1 pk hm seitan, 1 bread roll, 1 slice vegan bacon, Hommous, grated beetroot (seitan burgers for lunch..nomnom!!)

I have half a huge cauliflower that I cooked with citrus and green olives in the fridge which I need to use tonight so will decide on what to do with that later
    CC £0/£2000; OD £2000/£2000; Relative Debt £0/£6000; Car fund £3500/£8000; Sofa Fund £0/2000; GC £322.34/£3600 MFW £50/£22968.96
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 11th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 6,899 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Out: sausage goulash, cherry ice lolly (unexpected find!). Blackberries, strawberries and rhubarb.
    Mortgage House £173,000 July17th 2016.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 16,123 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I'm joining in!!

Absolutely mahoosive amount of food stocks in at the moment (did an inventory a couple of weeks ago and It covers 2 sheets of A4 on both sides!! ) so am going to get through all that before I get anything other than absolute essentials in

Today: in- nothing; out- 1 pk hm seitan, 1 bread roll, 1 slice vegan bacon, Hommous, grated beetroot (seitan burgers for lunch..nomnom!!)

I have half a huge cauliflower that I cooked with citrus and green olives in the fridge which I need to use tonight so will decide on what to do with that later
    Originally posted by squirrelgirl
    Welcome and hope this works for you. I also do the GC and work with an annual budget but I am finding my stores and freezer have ensured dramatic savings so far in 2017. I might have to knock a few hundred off my unnecessarily generous uplift this year (allowing for Brexit-related inflation).

Hopefully the switch from planning then shopping to stores-mealplan-shop will work for you too. I have found it works best when I adapt to what I have in.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 50.68/50% including stores after June
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin