Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Asus Mobo
    • 16th Jun 07, 10:32 PM
    • 16th Jun 07, 10:32 PM
    Try http://www.7-zip.org/ its free

Unless you click on the registration info and copy that across to the new PC, click on Help then About to see the version and the registered details then download the version from here http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winzip and enter the details.
    Last edited by Asus Mobo; 16-06-2007 at 10:34 PM.
  • Chippy_Minton
    • 16th Jun 07, 11:36 PM
    • 16th Jun 07, 11:36 PM
    Windows XP and Vista have built-in support for .zip files called 'Compressed (zipped) folders', so you don't need to install a dedicated tool like WinZip. See http://www.mhuffman.com/notes/zip/zip.html
  • Donnie
    • 17th Jun 07, 1:48 AM
    • 17th Jun 07, 1:48 AM
    There's also WinRAR; http://www.rarlab.com/
  • alanclose
    • 17th Jun 07, 2:18 PM
    • 17th Jun 07, 2:18 PM
    A free unzipper or securezip for free
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 17th Jun 07, 5:16 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 17th Jun 07, 5:16 PM
    • 17th Jun 07, 5:16 PM
    I've had winzip for several years and always have had the most recent version. I've never had to pay for it
    • bat999
    • By bat999 17th Jun 07, 5:53 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    bat999
    • 17th Jun 07, 5:53 PM
    • 17th Jun 07, 5:53 PM
    I've had winzip for several years and always have had the most recent version. I've never had to pay for it
    Originally posted by alanrowell
    Well, on WinZip's website the price for WinZip 11.1 is $29.95.
    But I suppose that there are other websites where it can be downloaded without paying for it.

• superscaper
    • By superscaper 17th Jun 07, 5:59 PM
    • 12,626 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    • 17th Jun 07, 5:59 PM
    • 17th Jun 07, 5:59 PM
    Just because noone has ever forced you to pay it, doesn't mean you're using it legally. It is shareware and bat999 had given the price it costs after the evaluation period is over.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
    • bat999
    • By bat999 17th Jun 07, 6:01 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    bat999
    • 17th Jun 07, 6:01 PM
    • 17th Jun 07, 6:01 PM
    Just because noone has ever forced you to pay it, doesn't mean you're using it legally. It is shareware and bat999 had given the price it costs after the evaluation period is over.
    Originally posted by superscaper
    Thanks superscaper, this is what it says on WinZip's website:-

Did you think WinZip was free?

Many people have this misconception (probably because we offer a free evaluation version), but WinZip has never been free software. So if you plan to use WinZip beyond the 45-day evaluation period, please be sure to buy your official license.

• alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 17th Jun 07, 6:03 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    alanrowell
    Every bit of trialware I've ever known shuts down once it's trial period has ended unless you purchase it.

So why is winzip different?
    • GoofyGAT
    • By GoofyGAT 17th Jun 07, 6:06 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    GoofyGAT
    There's also WinRAR; http://www.rarlab.com/
    Originally posted by Donnie
    Note that WinRAR, isn't free either.

I use the free IZArc, but the free ones already mentioned are perfectly OK.

Every bit of trialware I've ever known shuts down once it's trial period has ended unless you purchase it. So why is winzip different?
    The makers hope you'll be honest enough not to use it past its expiry date . G
  • Donnie
    WinZip and WinRAR always used to work after the Evaluation period. There would just be a reminder at start-up.
    • superscaper
    • By superscaper 17th Jun 07, 6:09 PM
    • 12,626 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    Yes it relies on an honour system. Unfortunately by definition dishonest people show why this doesn't always work. It has used this system ever since I can remember so it's hardly a new concept, alanrowell. How easy it is to use illegally doesn't make it any more legal.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
    • bat999
    • By bat999 17th Jun 07, 6:10 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    bat999
    If I remember correctly, with the earlier versions of WinZip the evaluation period went on for ever. Just a nag each time.
    But it seems that the later versions specify a 45-day evaluation.

• superscaper
    • By superscaper 17th Jun 07, 6:22 PM
    • 12,626 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    Can't say I've tried recent versions. I use stardock's Object desktop which includes it's own zip utility. Not the best but it does what I want. If alanrowell genuinely didn't know then fine, at least he does now and can pay for it (or uninstall it).
    Moss
  • R0CKY
    Someone already mention it, but it's worth repeating, izarc is the tops for compression utilities these days, it is free and handles any file compression you care to throw at it, awesome tool.
    Last edited by R0CKY; 20-06-2007 at 3:04 PM.
    Rocky.
  • Cerro
    Yes you have to buy it.

Although I have noticed that both winrar and winzip given reminders to buy the full version. BUT if you just do a right click and go "extract here" the main app doesn't load and you get no reminder... thought they would have set a remind to come up for that too, they seem to have missed that.

If you must buy one, go with winrar, does pretty much everything winzip does and covers rar files, which have much better compression ratios. Although as someone has already pointed out iZarc does all that for free.
  • everythingblogcast
    Winzip is having a special offer at the monment its if you signup to offers you get winzip for free, just go to the offical wipzip website and check it out.
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 20th Jun 07, 4:05 PM
    • 11,642 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Windows XP and Vista have built-in support for .zip files called 'Compressed (zipped) folders', so you don't need to install a dedicated tool like WinZip. See http://www.mhuffman.com/notes/zip/zip.html
    Originally posted by Chippy_Minton
    Just to second this...I occasionally have to install winrar etc to handle the odd old file led about the place, but if I'm zipping stuff up myself 99% of the time it's easier just to use compressed (zipped) folders.
    • pchelpman
    • By pchelpman 21st Jun 07, 10:38 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    pchelpman
    I agree with ASUS (post #2 above). We've used 7-zip for long time now and found it to be much faster and easier to use than Winzip (and no nag screen!!).

PCH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,206Posts Today

7,532Users online

Martin's Twitter